• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

From the OP link:

Although the embargo lifts in a few days—and our review will be up at that time—, I’m going to take this opportunity to tell you that this is single-handedly the best looking console game I’ve ever played, with or without the 30 FPS lock enabled. You are in for a treat.​
Snap!

Gestault

Well, this pic was taken using the unpatched version:

xdsnaqljkt2.jpg

Really, how much better shadows could look than this? Unless they upped the shadow quality here since not a lot of geometry and so on. But I guess not.

If that's how it's going to look, 30 FPS shouldn't be that much better I believe.

That shadow looks unexpectedly good, if that is the 60 fps mode version. Would you mind grabbing another similarly posed shot with the other framerate mode? Anywhere in the game should work, it doesn't need to be the scene you grabbed there, just a matching set of two.

"If you decide to play without the 30 FPS lock, the framerate may dip below 60 during certain sections of the game. However, based upon our experience with the title today, we can say that if you are a fan of 60 FPS, you won’t be disappointed. "

Not really sure how to interpret that.

I would just trust a frame rate counter once the game is out rather than someone's word.

I don't understand how they can't get those better shadows in 60fps for a remaster if they are able to work that magic for Uncharted 4. Time constraints/engine limitations?

Simple - the game was designed for the PS3, notorious for using crazy-ass hardware architecture. You're porting a game designed from the ground up for the cell processor to a completely different hardware set-up.

High end PCs that cost thousands of dollars struggle to run Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 3 at 60fps maxed out. That's just the nature of most ports, and a PS3 exclusive (again, crazy-ass hardware) is going to be hell to port.

I don't understand how they can't get those better shadows in 60fps for a remaster if they are able to work that magic for Uncharted 4. Time constraints/engine limitations?

The game is port , it was made with PS3 in mind so it not going to get all current gen tech like if it was build from the ground up for PS4.

Peterthumpa

That shadow looks unexpectedly good, if that is the 60 fps mode version. Would you mind grabbing another similarly posed shot with the other framerate mode? Anywhere in the game should work, it doesn't need to be the scene you grabbed there, just a matching set of two.

This shot wasn't taken by me (unfortunately).

Then maybe read the thread instead of your usual trolling:

Yes, it's JUST a PS3 game. Just a PS3 game running at

Twice the framerate
Twice the pixel count
Four times the texture detail
Two times the shadow resolution
Cutscene models instead of game models for main characters
Higher resolution particle effects
No texture streaming
Higher draw distance
Higher LOD at longer distance
AF
Probably some I'm forgetting

They are porting a game optimised specifically for the PS3, which had a vastly different architecture.

Seriously, just wait for the game to come out, and honestly I'd love a comparison pic to see if this claim is true.

LOL wtf

what is wrong with wondering why TLoU, a last gen title made on a system that is 7 years old, can't do 60fps and ultra shadows or whatever.

and mention titanfall when i never played titanfall, never post in titanfall threads or anything and when i..

and

smh

So you're saying that you're not a concern troll, with posts like these:

It would seem that the xbone version of Destiny was going to be 900p or less. The Ps4 version was going to be the best version out there but becuase of the kinect unlock the xbone version is going to reach resolution parity with the PS4.

It doesn't make sense for Bungie to hold back the ps4 version when they have exclusive relationship with Sony(moneyhats)

exactly, where's the outcry for bungie's destiny for manufactured hype? oh yeah thats right, Destiny getting exclusive content on a console that titanfall isn't released on, so we gotta change the rhetoric

everyone recommending Wii U when a year or two from now that system will be in the bargain bin because of hte lack of sales for teh console. Wait til its $99 if you're going to get a wii u

i think a lot of these people have fooled themselves so much in posts and reading on the internet for the past year or so of this great gulf of power between the ps4 and xbone that when reality is starting to hit(multiplatform games looking the same) they just can't accept it and blames lazy devs etc for the discrepancy

dat betraylton

Funny that on this one you said people are blaming lazy devs... then here you say:

still harping on that hardware limitation crap? You ever consider maybe its forza engine that looks like that? Or developer ineptitude. Because saying its hardware limitation when x360 was as strong if not stronger than the ps3 destroys your assertion.

Are you saying that driveclub isn't possible on the xbone or something? cuz lol.

Want me to keep going?

I'm sure plenty of people have already said this, but... fuck shadows. Use the extra performance for more anti-aliasing!
Have had to do this with my PC games to get decent performance at 60fps so I guess I'm used to it ;p

Fucking Radeons with fucking crossfire. Never again.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I have the feeling ps4 will monitor and report to psn the percentage of people playing in 30fps + better visuals VS 60fps + inferior visuals and then decide upon the best compromise for future games.
Or maybe create a trend where gamers can choose. Every gamer is different. Better options make for better games. It's objectively true.

Well you can just look at the leaked screenshot thread. Some of them don't look too hot in terms of shadows and I recall that particular shadow looking quite alright in the PS3 version as well.

Shadows are the first thing I turn down when I'm lookin for better performance on PC. Who gives a damn about shadows of all things for a better playing/feeling game
KuGsj.gif

imtehman

Banned
So you're saying that you're not a concern troll, with posts like these:

Funny that on this one you said people are blaming lazy devs... then here you say:

Want me to keep going?

i dont get what you're trying to prove? u just quoted me talking about both the wiiU and the xbone forza devs but i'm a casual ps troll? teh hell?

plus, developer ineptitutde is difference than "lazy devs". There is a barometer where you can guage developer talent and it shows in the games

Teknoman

Even though I walk through artistically astonishing games slowly, I still require the superior framerate for any gameplay moment I participate in. It's not only far more attractive to look at in general and creates a superior look in every aspect of its presentation, much easier on the eyes... but it functions to a gameplay benefit as well.

Walking through a game slowly by the way wouldn't actually impact the benefit of 60fps anyhows :p

I will never in my life choose 30fps over 60fps. Never never ever.

Maximum agreement.

Jawmuncher

Unless the 60fps mode was resulting in no shadows or something. I really don't see that as a big deal. Hell if I have too that's usually the first thing I lower in PC games.

Shadows are the first thing I turn down when I'm lookin for better performance on PC. Who gives a damn about shadows of all things for a better playing/feeling game
KuGsj.gif

When I get lag, shadows got to be toned down.

I'll drop resolution to native after that, then I tone down AA, but shadows are the first thing to go when I get frame rate issues.

I'm not allowed. It's strictly under embargo. I had to wait 2 hours just to be able to share this news, which is on the press kit details page.

Wait. I just saw your news, and the 30 frames option isn`t on the disc and is only available if i download the day one patch?

So far i was under the impression that only the photo mode and the documentation "Grounded" would be content of the day one patch?!

icespide

Banned
Wait. I just saw your news, and the 30 frames option isn`t on the disc and is only available if i download the day one patch?

So far i was under the impression that only the photo mode and the documentation "Grounded" would be content of the day one patch?!

the 30FPS lock is on the disc. better 30FPS shadows is in the patch

elektrixx

Banned
I'll still keep it at 60. If they make a sequel it will likely have 60FPS in mind so I'd like my series experience to be consistent. Nobody's said the frame rate is bad so my confidence is still high.

JLeack

Banned

There's more in the patch.

I haven't played the game without it, so I'm unsure if the option is ONLY post-patch. I do know that at the very least the improved shadows with it enabled is included in the patch.

Do people honestly think porting is pressing a button like "Convert to PS4" and instantly have it run flawlessly?

I have Gamecube/PS2 games that I play on my relatively powerful gaming PC, and even some of them don't consistently hit 60 once I flip on major enhancements with my emulator.

Yeesh.

Havel

I wonder how much of a hit the higher quality shadows had on the frame rate? I doubt that much, but enough for it to not be a constant 60fps, maybe 10fps difference? I would rather have a rock solid locked 30 than fluctuations.

If this really is true, I think ND has done the right thing. More devs need to do this to shut up the 30 vs 60 argument. Want more effects play 30 fps, want 60 fps play with lower effects. Doubt this will be the standard on consoles though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Shadows are really the smartest improvement for 30fps versus 60fps mode. Few 60fps players will be disappointed with that change versus added AA or anything else.

This is fantastic. Love the choice. It may seem like a small thing, but consumer/gamer friendly decisions like this by developers are a big step in the right direction. This really should be a standardized option in all new gen games.

I love that this will allow a wide swath of gamers to easily compare/contrast 30 vs 60 fps and decide for themselves how much it matters vs slightly better IQ.

meanspartan

Every game should do this. Let me pick between more graphics or 60fps when posdible.

Its like pc but simplified to two settings instead of a ton lol.

Top Bottom