• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

Ploid 3.0

i'll take 60fps thankyouverymuch

Yeah, it makes sense that they would improve something if they didn't need the 30fps mode but put it in because people may have been showing interest in having a 30fps mode. When you drop a PC game to 30fps when you can easily run it at 60fps you can add a lot more than shadow quality over the way you normally run it. For example I can easily run Skyrim with ENB at 60fps but if I limit it to 30fps on purpose I can do crazier enb + mods stuff that may make it drop to 30ish - 50fps unstable.

Darknight

But I heard framerate is king!!!! I guess I was wrong, Shadows>Framerate!

This is actually pretty cool feature. The way I see it is if you select the 30FPS option, you get the benefit of having the engine do shadows better since its not being "pushed" as much as native 1080P/60FPS. Not sure how can anyone spin this for the console wars or some bullshit.

Let me know when other developers are doing as much effort into their projects as ND.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It would have been weird if locking to 30 didn't improve anything, so this isn't surprising.

I will, obviously, play it at 60 since it actually impacts the gameplay and couldn't give less of a fuck about shadows, lol.

Naughty Dog wanted me to play this game at 60fps so that's what I'm gonna do.

If you want to play it at 30fps play the ps3 version, I'm sure its cheaper.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
seriously, why stop at 30 fps and shadows vs 60fps? why not include all the stuff that the PC does.

That's where the line ends. Set top boxes like console are not infinitely configurable like PC's, A 30/60 option is a great thing to bring some of that choice to the console space

There's more in the patch.

I haven't played the game without it, so I'm unsure if the option is ONLY post-patch. I do know that at the very least the improved shadows with it enabled is included in the patch.

Thanks. Is the press kit only mentioning better shadows, or other graphical stuff too, like even better texture quality for 30 frames mode?

One problem i could see with the 30 frame mode would be the toned down motion blur. Motion Blur really helps to make 30 frames feel more smoother.

Thanks. Is the press kit only mentioning better shadows, or other graphical stuff too, like even better texture quality for 30 frames mode?

One problem i could see with the 30 frame mode would be the toned down motion blur. Motion Blur really helps to make 30 frames feel more smoother.

JLeack, this plz.

imtehman

Banned
That's where the line ends. Set top boxes like console are not infinitely configurable like PC's, A 30/60 option is a great thing to bring some of that choice to the console space

is there something inherent in console design that you can't do that or something? Since all Ps4's are the same is it hard to have all the graphical variables available so long as its 30 or 60 fps?

for example, me maxing 8x AA but only 2x AF but some else prefers AF so they go 16x and 1x AA but both keeps it at 60fps. Would be cool and i'd love to hear why someone would be against that

Sendou

The game looks better when it runs at half the framerate? Man the incompetence of this team knows no boundaries.

No but really it makes sense. Nice that they bothered I guess.

The game looks better when it runs at half the framerate? Man the incompetence of this team knows no boundaries.

I'm trying to fully grasp the idiocy of this statement but I'm not sure if I missed something. Did you seriously just call one of the premier game development teams on any platform "incompetent"? It's time to stop posting, bud, you're incriminating yourself.

Gurish

Shadow quality is that important for visual fidelity? Might be worth it if it would improve lighting or even better AA or texture quality, but for better shadows? I don't think it's worth it and I'm the type of guy who generally prefers 30 fps and better fidelity but in this case the choice seems obvious to me.

JLeack

Banned

It's shadows only.

And damn, you can really feel 30 vs 60 FPS.

Best looking game...

Damn JLeak seriously?
I'm getting pretty excited over here

I kinda forgot about inFamous when I said that. I think it's a tough call between the two. TLOU has better animations and a better sense of atmosphere. inFamous has the lighting and reflections that give me chills.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yup.

If they want to get a PS4 game looking anywhere close to that trailer in real time, they're going to go 30fps. Bookmark this post bros. Bookmark it hard.
I think it'll look pretty damn close to it, asife from image quality. Even then, I think they were using dynamic AA/tessellation for close to camera objects and masking background aliasing with DoF for that trailer. There's going to be lots of tricks like that in Uncharted 4.

Seanspeed

Banned
Drastic improvement in playability and smoothness vs higher resolution shadows..........what a weird option for the developers to include. I mean, could they really do nothing better than better shadows for a 50% decrease in framerate?

This should be a no-brainer if that's all 30fps gets you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Drastic improvement in playability and smoothness vs higher resolution shadows..........what a weird option for the developers to include. I mean, could they really do nothing better than better shadows for a 50% decrease in framerate?

It's probably the easiest to implement improvement and the one that would cause the least controversy.

LiquidMetal14

is there something inherent in console design that you can't do that or something? Since all Ps4's are the same is it hard to have all the graphical variables available so long as its 30 or 60 fps?

for example, me maxing 8x AA but only 2x AF but some else prefers AF so they go 16x and 1x AA but both keeps it at 60fps. Would be cool and i'd love to hear why someone would be against that

Presets I suppose. Full on settings would cause bad console ports as consoles are set spec wise to make optimization easier.

LiquidMetal14

Unless they wanted to invest even more money and time then that would be their choice. It's already amazing that they bothered to optimize a 30 and 60fps game like TLoU.

KoopaTheCasual

Heh what? Are they serious? I mean this is a ps3 game.
What in god's graces does this post even mean???

So you're telling me you people would want them to do nothing with the extra resources 30fps frees up? This is the weirdest parity-begging I've ever seen. Am I in a bizarro world where a dev putting even more effort into modes of a game is cause for outrage?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

They didn't put 30fps mode in so they could increase the detail. They put 30fps mode in because some people preferred it, and the upside is that they can increase the graphics.

thatJohann

Yo' those of you that got the game early. Take a couple of friggin minutes to show us the shadows 30fps vs 60fps. Let's put an end to this thread already. Geez.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
It would have been weird if locking to 30 didn't improve anything, so this isn't surprising.

I will, obviously, play it at 60 since it actually impacts the gameplay and couldn't give less of a fuck about shadows, lol.

this lol.

this thread got big so fast over this, pretty ridiculous.

Sendou

I'm trying to fully grasp the idiocy of this statement but I'm not sure if I missed something. Did you seriously just call one of the premier game development teams on any platform "incompetent"? It's time to stop posting, bud, you're incriminating yourself.

Come on man. Right back at you. Everyone is a bit thick from time to time but you're taking it to a whole new level here. For starters try to understand my post as a whole.

delta25

Banned
I see these two statements as opposed, not complimentary. But no worries, I'm sure I'll live.

Will play this come next week, and play it on the 60fps setting, and hope the dips aren't noticeable.

so the only true definition to a "smooth" framerate is one that is locked? A game can still have an overall smooth fps while still taken on the occasional dip IMO.

DOWN

Banned

Thanks a lot Infamous Second Son for not improving anything during your 30fps lock.

Top Bottom