• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

vpance

Gonna play on 30 for the blurred shadows as per Corrine's tweet. Those razor sharp silhouettes look stupid.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
It looks better, but I wouldn't buy the game again for that difference. Playing through it once, on my PS3, was enough for me.

The feeling of 60fps (not rock solid btw) is a good one. The overall image of Last of us remastered is very good and its definitely one of the prettiest games so far.

But indeed graphics isn't everything, its the same beautiful game. I understand why people doesn't spend money for a "remastered" version. But we are on NeoGAF... ;)

This is probably the type of shadows that will have higher resolution:
tUQwohj.jpg

Taken from the official photo mode tutorial. The resolution of the leaf shadows are quite bad, especially for a last-gen game.

The feeling of 60fps (not rock solid btw) is a good one. The overall image of Last of us remastered is very good and its definitely one of the prettiest games so far.

But indeed graphics isn't everything, its the same beautiful game. I understand why people doesn't spend money for a "remastered" version. But we are on NeoGAF... ;)

No surprises regards 60fps not rock solid.

The eagerness of Neogaf's supposedly "clued on" posters to believe a community manager's hyperbole never ceases to amaze.

Good to have the argument for non-partisan objectivity vindicated.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
Any spoilers in this?

Well i tried not to spoiler anything. But its a story based game and i needed cutscenes to compare. You don't understand anything and most of the footage is from the prolog.

But yeah there are some sort of spoilers in it. *sorry*

antitrop

Lowering frames equals better graphics. this happens in every.single.platform.

Well, only if the developers put forth the effort to take advantage of the newly freed up resources, as Naughty Dog has done with a day 1 patch.

Before the patch, dropping to 30fps gave you no benefit.

Odrion

Banned
I like this feature.

It's like, hey, if you're going to play at 30fps why not change the variables to improve graphics a bit?

I doubt it's going to be that big of a difference though. It probably really is something akin to modifying a .ini file, doing so because why not.

Andrew.

Banned
Lowering frames equals better graphics. this happens in every.single.platform.

Seriously. Think about how amazing the original Super Mario Bros would've looked chugging at 5fps.

As an eight-year-old that would've been like a fucking acid trip in 1988 for me.

WX3

Well i tried not to spoiler anything. But its a story based game and i needed cutscenes to compare. You don't understand anything and most of the footage is from the prolog.

But yeah there are some sort of spoilers in it. *sorry*

Really though, I felt during the video that I was so focused on seeing the differences in the two that whatever images were playing on the screen my brain totally disregarded them. Also there is no dialogue, just a slow and dire tune that covers up any voice acting in the vid, which is nice.

Loakum

Banned
I'll just lock it at 30fps. This isn't Ninja Gaiden, or some fast paced action adventure game. This game is about stealth and strategy. I know 60fps is nice, but I just don't see it as a vital gaming component for this particular game.

Fbh

Cool feature.

I'd be great if other developers picked this up.
Consoles will never offer the graphical options of PC but I'd be nice to see more games giving the players a choice between performance and graphics

gelf

It's not just better screenshots, it's better graphics on every level except framerate. Framerate is one aspect of presentation, resolution is one aspect, shadow detail, geometry complexity, texture detail etc are others. The idea that 60fps is this absolute necessity for a single player TPS game is very odd to me considering the praise for TLoU itself, or bajillions of TPS games on the last generation of consoles capped at 30fps, often with dips below that.

It's not like 60fps was unavailable on PS3/360. There were tons of 60fps games on PS2 / GC / Xbox, even. If you were playing mainstream games you were being exposed to both framerates regularly. And PC gamers certainly existed too during the whole period. I think we need to stop pretending that 30fps is some horrific unplayable thing. Playing a 60fps game doesn't make it like "omg I can't ever play 30fps again!" And anybody who says anything remotely like that to me is somebody I can't take seriously.

Is 60fps good? Yeah, it's great. I play with it all the time on my high-end PC where I don't ever have to make tough decisions about which framerate to "target". But when I play my console games and you do have to make tough choices, I'd prefer my single player games like Uncharted or TloU or Ryse or Shadow of the Colossus or whatever to be pushing the boundaries at a 30fps target framerate. Do I honestly need a 13ms theoretical reaction time advantage against the AI? Did this cause significant problems for people reviewing The Last of Us last year, or people reviewing Gears of War in 2006? Man I'd love to see scientific studies done on gaming performance of people at 30fps vs 60fps.

Post of the thread, this should be auto posted every time this debate rears up. I find it hard to believe there's anyone who has exclusively played sub 30fps games and never played any 60fps ones. People are switching between games of differing framerates all the time and manage to cope fine. I know I do.

Its cool that there's an option to choose in this game though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Kind of disappointing , I'm not buying from a developer that's lied through their teeth.

So basically every console developer who ever called one of their (3D polygonal) games "60fps" then?
OK, so MGSV is pretty damn solid, but MGS2 on PS2 sure as hell wasn't. But pretty much no one here had a problem calling it 60fps. What changed? People lost their damned minds at the start of this gen. That's what.

Raonak

Banned
This is actually really fucking cool. Best of both worlds.
If you're gonna have a 30fps lock option, then naturally you're gonna have additional power freed up. I hope this becomes a trend for games that have 30fps lock options.

I'm not super framerate sensisitve, I leave Infamous and killzone framerate unlocked.
Hell, I played through Jak and Daxter's Vita port and enjoyed it quite nicely. But do appreciate higher framerates.

So i'm not sure which i'm gonna go for...

If the default is 60fps, but the game looks noticeably better when the 30fps option is turned on, then (and it's probably just semantics) which option is the more 'remastered' version?

Piggus

well ok but they did flat out say they only included the 30fps option for preference only (some gaffer said 60fps made him feel uneasy).

for it to now emerge that 30fps brings some potentially noticeable improvement in shadows is pretty crummy

need pics first though

Why is is crummy that the game looks better if you choose to limit the framerate? It would be a lot more crummy if they did absolutely nothing with that unused power.

antitrop

This is actually really fucking cool. Best of both worlds.
If you're gonna have a 30fps lock option, then naturally you're gonna have additional power freed up. I hope this becomes a trend for games that have 30fps lock options.

I'm not super framerate sensisitve, I leave Infamous and killzone framerate unlocked.
Hell, I played through Jak and Daxter's Vita port and enjoyed it quite nicely. But do appreciate higher framerates.

So i'm not sure which i'm gonna go for...

Infamous and Killzone both targeted 30fps and just happened to go higher.

The Last of Us: Remastered is targeting 60fps.

Not really the same situation.

It's not just better screenshots, it's better graphics on every level except framerate. Framerate is one aspect of presentation, resolution is one aspect, shadow detail, geometry complexity, texture detail etc are others. The idea that 60fps is this absolute necessity for a single player TPS game is very odd to me considering the praise for TLoU itself, or bajillions of TPS games on the last generation of consoles capped at 30fps, often with dips below that.

It's not like 60fps was unavailable on PS3/360. There were tons of 60fps games on PS2 / GC / Xbox, even. If you were playing mainstream games you were being exposed to both framerates regularly. And PC gamers certainly existed too during the whole period. I think we need to stop pretending that 30fps is some horrific unplayable thing. Playing a 60fps game doesn't make it like "omg I can't ever play 30fps again!" And anybody who says anything remotely like that to me is somebody I can't take seriously.

Is 60fps good? Yeah, it's great. I play with it all the time on my high-end PC where I don't ever have to make tough decisions about which framerate to "target". But when I play my console games and you do have to make tough choices, I'd prefer my single player games like Uncharted or TloU or Ryse or Shadow of the Colossus or whatever to be pushing the boundaries at a 30fps target framerate. Do I honestly need a 13ms theoretical reaction time advantage against the AI? Did this cause significant problems for people reviewing The Last of Us last year, or people reviewing Gears of War in 2006? Man I'd love to see scientific studies done on gaming performance of people at 30fps vs 60fps.

Thank you. Sometimes I feel the attitude around here is 60fps or die.

Shredderi

Why is is crummy that the game looks better if you choose to limit the framerate? It would be a lot more crummy if they did absolutely nothing with that unused power.

Exactly. You lower the graphical quality on pc so that games will run better and smoother on your rig. That's pretty much what is happening here. Would you prefer that they don't use any of that power that would be unused with locked 30fps, and if so, why?

No surprises regards 60fps not rock solid.

The eagerness of Neogaf's supposedly "clued on" posters to believe a community manager's hyperbole never ceases to amaze.

Good to have the argument for non-partisan objectivity vindicated.

What the hell are you even talking about ?
Everyone knew the game was going to have dips every now and then it's why ND never said it was locked 60fps or arne .
Also a game being 60fps does look better if talking about gfx for eg animation i rather 60fps but i also have no problem with 30fps.

Delt31

Post of the thread, this should be auto posted every time this debate rears up. I find it hard to believe there's anyone who has exclusively played sub 30fps games and never played any 60fps ones. People are switching between games of differing framerates all the time and manage to cope fine. I know I do.

Its cool that there's an option to choose in this game though.

Can't believe we're even still making this compromise FOR A GAME FROM LAST GEN. Let me repeat - this is NOT a current gen game that can't get 60fps AND have top end graphics. Now we can't even get a 60fps version of a LAST GEN game WITH all the trimmings? WTF. Sorry but we deserve better. Game just scream cash in and I expect better from ND. I also expect that they don't dance around this like the have been. Apparently 30 fps was JUST in there for the ones who were crazy and wanted 30fps. All of a sudden, right before release this hits. Great.

MilesTeg

Banned
Meh. If the 60fps is solid, people won't want to go back to 30fps regardless of higher quality effects. Once it's experienced, it cannot be undone...in my opinion of course

This is probably the type of shadows that will have higher resolution:
tUQwohj.jpg

Taken from the official photo mode tutorial. The resolution of the leaf shadows are quite bad, especially for a last-gen game.

Woah Woah Woah. That photo mode is exactly the same as Naughty Dog's Sucker Punch '.

I hope Sony makes this a standard for their first party titles and provides the developers the tools required for this.

DirtyLarry

I do not have time to go through 17 pages of madness, but has anyone else mentioned the fact that perhaps the 60 FPS option includes shadows that are very similar if not the same to the original vision and intent and 30 FPS does in fact look even better than they normally would?

Or is everyone assuming the 30 FPS shadows were the original way the shadows were always meant to be seen and 60 FPS detracts from them?

Sure, it can very well be the latter, but it also could be the former.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I can learn to live with input lag but 30fps breaks immersion for me. It's harder for me to get into the game, or even get excited about the game. There's no measurable aspect of framerate that I can point to that would account for it. It's a purely psychological response.

That doesn't mean that 30fps games are unplayable for me, but with so many choices at 60fps and higher on the PC, I rarely bother with them. In fact, I skipped the original TLOU.

Can't believe we're even still making this compromise FOR A GAME FROM LAST GEN. Let me repeat - this is NOT a current gen game that can't get 60fps AND have top end graphics. Now we can't even get a 60fps version of a LAST GEN game WITH all the trimmings? WTF. Sorry but we deserve better. Game just scream cash in and I expect better from ND. I also expect that they don't dance around this like the have been. Apparently 30 fps was JUST in there for the ones who were crazy and wanted 30fps. All of a sudden, right before release this hits. Great.

This post makes no sense just because it's a last gen game that don't mean everything is going to be max out at 60fps .
30fps give you more power so they use it .

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I do not have time to go through 17 pages of madness, but has anyone else mentioned the fact that perhaps the 60 FPS option includes shadows that are very similar if not the same to the original vision and intent and 30 FPS does in fact look even better than they normally would?
The 60 FPS option includes twice the shadow maps. Source: arne from ND.

When the TLoU:R previews were being written, IGN also included that information in a bit modified version and said the the game has twice the shadows now.

This post makes no sense [...]
Pro-tip: Post history narrowed down to The Last of Us.

Top Bottom