• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT : Mutants in Manhattan delisted under a year after release

Yukinari

At this point they could just release a collection of the NES and SNES TMNT games in their original form on modern platforms and never make another entry.

We cant go anywhere but down.

I can't believe I'm legitimately considering overpaying for the TMNT games. I wasn't all that interested in them a few days ago, but now that they're gone I kind of want them.

Tizoc

Who will pick up the IP/license I wonder? Konami obv. wouldn't but man the things I'd do for a Konami TMNT Classics Compilation @_@

Yup.

Its box art is the best part of the game, too!

Ouch. Cool boxart tho.

Ye, Kenji Saito. Someone who should be given a big budget, long development project like right now.

Oh wait, he's doing Granblue Fantasy Re:Link right?

He's seemingly not directing it so probably not I guess? There's no real way to know for sure if he's working on it at all or not since most of the staff is not announced but when the game was announced the news stories did announce some of the big, key staff and it was said that it's being directed by the guy from the Cygames side of the collaboration, Tetsuya Fukuhara.

Kind of like Nier Automata.

Ban Puncher

Who will pick up the IP/license I wonder? Konami obv. wouldn't but man the things I'd do for a Konami TMNT Classics Compilation @_@

HA HA BACK TO UBISOFT

tmnt3-pc-end.gif

robotrock

Banned
Once this game becomes unavailable to buy on PC (when it inevitable gets delisted from every digital storefront), is it okay to pirate it?

How do laws work? Who is going to sue me? Which NeoGAF moderator is going to ban me?

Tajbong

Neo Member
if this game got taken down, then the physical copies might become a collectors item one day.

It's time to diversify my portfolio.

I played the original arcade cabinet with my daughter on Monday and it was still so damn good. Too bad they struggle to recapture that these days.

digital future.

played the physical version on console for a while. it's a decent game if you got one or more partners. just not a good platinum game.

The world is better off with as few copies of this as possible.

Thank goodness Activision is done with licensed properties, now we may finally get a decent TMNT title sometime in the next decade.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm surprised they didn't bother announcing that the games are getting pulled, so grab them while you can. Surely they would've sold more copies.

Famassu

Oops, got em mixed up. But, both games were garbage, so it doesn't really change much :p
Legend of Korra wasn't totally garbage, though. It had a lack of content, lack of variety and what content was there wasn't anything too special, it lacked the epic flashiness & excitement of the best of Platinum, but as lacking as it was in those aspects, the combat could still be pretty decent & enjoyable if you accepted it as a lower-budget Platinum effort. Even as a low budget game it was far better than the TMNT disaster. A step or two below Transformers, but still something where enjoyment could be found

mrmickfran

Legend of Korra wasn't totally garbage, though. It had a lack of content, lack of variety and what content was there wasn't anything too special, it lacked the epic flashiness & excitement of the best of Platinum, but as lacking as it was in those aspects, the combat could still be pretty decent & enjoyable if you accepted it as a lower-budget Platinum effort. Even as a low budget game it was far better than the TMNT disaster. A step or two below Transformers, but still something where enjoyment could be found
I tried playing it, but it just completely lost me. That never happened with a character action game prior for me.

Raitaro

Bad / disappointing game or not, I'd count this as yet another worrying sign of the rapidly decreasing shelf life of licensed games that could disappear forever if we are no longer blessed by physical copies during the next console cycle. I think that that is the larger topic here, i.e. not whether anything of quality was lost here but the fact that a game in general is so easily lost to time (save for the physical copies in this case still, luckily).

(I really, really hope copyright laws will at some point change a bit so that older creations and products are not completely prohibited from being sold (digitally) simply because IP rights changed hands and despite which developer created them. This very likely won't ever happen but in a more just world where content preservation and accessibility are as important as initial sales and IP rights protection, it should happen.)

Famassu

I tried playing it, but it just completely lost me. That never happened with a character action game prior for me.
Well, it can be a bit boring initially, but much like other Platinum games you unlock a lot of skills as you advance through the game which make it a lot more enjoyable.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How long does this have to keep happening before people rightly rejected digital distribution as being bad?

The vast majority of games do not feature licensed content, so these sort of irregular occurrences are generally considered a mild inconvenience and soon fade from memory. Personally, what's more frustrating than instant unavailability is the nature of licence agreements not evolving -- an expiration shouldn't preclude the continued distribution of content that was released during the agreement period, just the release of new content.

system11

You can't reject where the future of distribution is going.

I have been quite successfully. I think it's slightly different in Europe where hope is not lost. Look at Amazon and you'll see loads of small run physical runs of games you might have expected to be digital only.

Said no one ever.

Far far from perfect, but It had a very unique multiplayer and the campaign was far from terrible. I think I completed 2 full playthoughts

OT, those rushed products are just a lame excuse to grab some money. At least it paid some Platinum bills (I suppose)

I have been quite successfully. I think it's slightly different in Europe where hope is not lost. Look at Amazon and you'll see loads of small run physical runs of games you might have expected to be digital only.
Yeah but once they sell out good luck finding a copy at a reasonable price.

Dominator

Wish they would have gave a heads up about this. Would have picked it up probably so I have it. Was waiting for a significant sale on the Xbox Store.

duckroll

LOL! Someone really wanted to bury this stink bomb.

He's seemingly not directing it so probably not I guess? There's no real way to know for sure if he's working on it at all or not since most of the staff is not announced but when the game was announced the news stories did announce some of the big, key staff and it was said that it's being directed by the guy from the Cygames side of the collaboration, Tetsuya Fukuhara.

Kind of like Nier Automata.

I'm fairly sure Kenji Saito is the game design lead on Granblue. The reason he is not directing is because the director is from Cygames, similar to Nier Automata yes. But like how Takahisa Taura is the Platinum Games lead game designer on Nier, Kenji Saito was the one at the announcement event talking about gameplay mechanics for Platinum.

Santar

Why on earth couldn't they let us know the game was being delisted before the steam sale?!
They would loose nothing by doing so, they'd even probably make a bit more money.
I would probably have bought a four pack if I knew it was going to disappear :(

I'll scream my resentment from the other thread here:

Fuck Activision. They're never getting my money ever again. Couldn't they warn us a week in advance, preferably when this shit was on sale everywhere on Christmas?!!! I don't give a FUCK if the license expired. Boo hoo. Motherfucking WARN US! Have the goddamn courtesy for those supporting your fucking company for 20+ years.

Fuck Activision. Fuck them up their shell. I always wanted to try this game out, and I've gone full digital this year, but was reluctant to pay full price ($79.99!!!!) due to bad reviews. So fuck them for this stunt. Had I known, I would've bought it last week...

//DEVIL//

i think i am going to hunt a new copy or used copy for the sake of collecting it. who knows might be worth allot one day since god knows when we will get a nother ninja turtles game.

i also played a lil of that game. its much better than most ninja turtle games that were released on ps3 /360. but hey that is just me.

Fuck Activision. They're never getting my money ever again. Couldn't they warn us a week in advance, preferably when this shit was on sale everywhere on Christmas?!!! I don't give a FUCK if the license expired. Boo hoo. Motherfucking WARN US! Have the goddamn courtesy for those supporting your fucking company for 20+ years.

Fuck Activision. Fuck them up their shell. I always wanted to try this game out, and I've gone full digital this year, but was reluctant to pay full price ($79.99!!!!) due to bad reviews. So fuck them for this stunt. Had I known, I would've bought it last week...

Calm down it's just a video game

Your anger seems misplaced for a title with bad reviews.

duckroll

Before going all FUCK ACTIVISION (they might well deserve it) it's worth considering that when it comes to licensing deals like this, it would not be unusual for it to forbid either party from disclosing any details to using the terms of the contract to profit. So it might be the case that Activision is in fact forbidden to go "we are delisting this in 2 weeks when the contract is up, BUY NOW OR FOREVER REGRET!!!!" because they would be using the delisting as a marketing move. I don't know if this is the case but it's certainly possible.

Top Bottom