• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TMZ] O.J. Simpson dead at 76

//DEVIL//

7sevf1ohzsaz.gif
which movie is this ?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm glad that he is no longer at risk to potentially hurt or kill someone else. But if I'm being honest his death does nothing for me at this point. The guy brutally murdered two innocent people and got to live a long life, at the average life expectancy. And not only that but spend his time making a mockery of getting away with it and rubbing everyone's nose in it. This isn't justice. Justice never has been done and never will be done in this case. It will always be a tragic failure of justice. Nicole Brown Simpson's family, Ron Goldman's family had to live everyday with the torment of their loved one's murderer walking around a free man. It's better than nothing though, I guess.

ManaByte

I'm glad that he is no longer at risk to potentially hurt or kill someone else. But if I'm being honest his death does nothing for me at this point. The guy brutally murdered two innocent people and got to live a long life, at the average life expectancy. And not only that but spend his time making a mockery of getting away with it and rubbing everyone's nose in it. This isn't justice. Justice never has been done and never will be done in this case. It will always be a tragic failure of justice. Nicole Brown Simpson's family, Ron Goldman's family had to live everyday with the torment of their loved one's murderer walking around a free man. It's better than nothing though, I guess.
He did spend his last decade of breathing in prison. They only let him out to die.

Thaedolus

Man just thinking again today about how my world would be ruined if I were charged with murdering my former wife and friend.

I mean, anyone could be the victim of such a charge if you think about it!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Libs of TikTok misrepresented what she said.

Back then, black people celebrated his verdict because until then, black people were guilty whether they did a crime or not. There are many multiple instances of innocent black people tried and convicted of heinous crimes even when evidence said otherwise... And years later in those cases you find that DNA evidence ALONG WITH the evidence the juries and prosecutors overlooked or suppressed set those black people free and jailed the actual criminals (if they were alive and the statute of limitations hadn't run out) ...

There was a perception (and there still is) that white people get away with crimes all day every day. Especially when it's against black/brown and poor people (including poor whites).

So this ONE time ... Someone we all knew was guilty (quiet as kept) getting a not guilty verdict felt like "this has never happened before! One of our own just got away with what white people have been getting away with for centuries!" Like Emmitt Till or Medgar Evers or any number of other black people murdered with no guilty verdicts. Even extending that to the Asian lady who shot and killed a teenage black girl in the back who wasn't a threat to her and got away with it.

That's the context the lady in the video was speaking on... Not what Libs of TikTok misconstrued (which they always do).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I never knew that part! OMG!
Ah, sorry, watching the vid she was referring to the Korean shop owner more so than the murdered girl. “I know a criminal when I see one [and the Korean shop owner is not a criminal].”

Regardless, if you can attack a 15 year old girl and shoot her in the back of the head when she has money in her hand to buy an orange juice, and then be absolved of your guilty verdict for manslaughter because you look a certain way (the girl “looked a certain way” too), it’s hard to deny the racial component of the trial outcome.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Ah, sorry, watching the vid she was referring to the Korean shop owner more so than the murdered girl. “I know a criminal when I see one [and the Korean shop owner is not a criminal].”

Regardless, if you can attack a 15 year old girl and shoot her in the back of the head when she has money in her hand to buy an orange juice, and then be absolved of your guilty verdict for manslaughter because you look a certain way (the girl “looked a certain way” too), it’s hard to deny the racial component of the trial outcome.

Right. And it's sad. Doesn't excuse the riots that transpired afterwards but I can totally understand the anger and fear they felt out there. To know that someone can get away with absolute murder when you weren't a threat and live your life in relative obscurity afterwards... I'd have flipped tables or kicked some trash cans over ... When that type of thing KEEPS happening... I understand WHY they rioted. That anger bubbles over... But the only outcome was destroyed businesses and property... The lady never paid for what she did. Probably died peacefully in her home.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Right. And it's sad. Doesn't excuse the riots that transpired afterwards but I can totally understand the anger and fear they felt out there. To know that someone can get away with absolute murder when you weren't a threat and live your life in relative obscurity afterwards... I'd have flipped tables or kicked some trash cans over ... When that type of thing KEEPS happening... I understand WHY they rioted. That anger bubbles over... But the only outcome was destroyed businesses and property... The lady never paid for what she did. Probably died peacefully in her home.
Yep, it doesn’t solve anything. But when people feel completely powerless and not under the same system of justice as everyone else it’s not surprising that they’d lash out to at least have their voices heard.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yep, it doesn’t solve anything. But when people feel completely powerless and not under the same system of justice as everyone else it’s not surprising that they’d lash out to at least have their voices heard.

I just read up about the judge... She defended her ruling (dismissing the jury's verdict) by saying Latasha Harlin was shot in the heat of battle. The girl was walking away and shot in the back of the head. How is that heat of battle?! You're right... This was so much worse than I previously thought!

Man just thinking again today about how my world would be ruined if I were charged with murdering my former wife and friend.

I mean, anyone could be the victim of such a charge if you think about it!
You joke but people have been wrongfully convicted for all kinds of crazy shit.

Thaedolus

You joke but people have been wrongfully convicted for all kinds of crazy shit.
You’re right, the justice system doesn’t always get it right. Like in the case of OJ Simpson, for example!

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder if he will get a mention in the Oscar reel for next year. Or is he considered more of a TV star so the emmys?? :p

Woggleman

Younger people find it hard to believe when I tell them OJ at one time had a good reputation and was considered a good role model.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Younger people find it hard to believe when I tell them OJ at one time had a good reputation and was considered a good role model.
The general public gave up on him. There's only so much you can protect a crook. So when he got nailed for that Vegas hold up as a second go around of stupidity, he got grilled fast like any other criminal. The circus of protection he got just 12 years earlier during the murder trial vanished. The people who loved him finally realized he is a crook after all.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hell I’m pushing 40 and I didn’t really know if him before before he committed a double murder
I'm around 50 and all I knew him from is 80s movies. His prime NFL days were when I was born and by the time I was old enough to kind of follow sports as a kid, he was already retired.

Woggleman

Some of my uncles and cousins were big football fans and they worshipped the guy. One of my cousins believed he was innocent for a long time until he had to face the truth.

demigod

It’s worse than that tbh.

The judge with the Giga Karen hair nullified the guilty verdict against the murderer because black people inherently look like criminals to her.

Are you sure about this? It looks to me the Korean lady was trying to check her bag for the stolen orange juice and the girl fought back. If you’re innocent, why not let them check the bag instead of throwing punches? I agree though she shouldn’t have shot the girl walking away but maybe she did feel threatened with the black eye she got. Also why is it when a kid gets killed, they are always an A HONOR ROLL STUDENT?

I get checked all the time leaving Walmart, I swear other folks don’t get checked like I do. Maybe I should start throwing punches too.

Listening to podcasts and stuff recap the trial and circus this last week, it was shocking to hear about all of the evidence they had against him. I think I was 12 or so when he was acquitted but I didn’t pay much attention at the time.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Are you sure about this? It looks to me the Korean lady was trying to check her bag for the stolen orange juice and the girl fought back. If you’re innocent, why not let them check the bag instead of throwing punches? I agree though she shouldn’t have shot the girl walking away but maybe she did feel threatened with the black eye she got. Also why is it when a kid gets killed, they are always an A HONOR ROLL STUDENT?

I get checked all the time leaving Walmart, I swear other folks don’t get checked like I do. Maybe I should start throwing punches too.
Are you sure you want to be on the side of shooting an unarmed 15 year old girl in the back of the head for absolutely no good reason?

demigod

Are you sure you want to be on the side of shooting an unarmed 15 year old girl in the back of the head for absolutely no good reason?
No, she shouldn't have been shot if she was shoplifting. It was wrong to shoot her, the lady should've just called the cops. The media seems to be portraying the 15 year old as a "good girl". Are we 100% sure she did not steal the orange juice? I'm not sure where folks think that just because someone has money, doesn't mean that they won't steal.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No, she shouldn't have been shot if she was shoplifting. It was wrong to shoot her, the lady should've just called the cops. The media seems to be portraying the 15 year old as a "good girl". Are we 100% sure she did not steal the orange juice? I'm not sure where folks think that just because someone has money, doesn't mean that they won't steal.

Dude. The woman didn't like black people. She thought we were all criminals. A literal racist! I don't like how you're suggesting she may have stolen something when she didn't have it on her person when she was killed by that racist

demigod

Dude. The woman didn't like black people. She thought we were all criminals. A literal racist! I don't like how you're suggesting she may have stolen something when she didn't have it on her person when she was killed by that racist
Where are you getting this from? Cancyou timestamp it? From what I saw of the video, it was the judge that says she knows who are criminals and the shooter was not a criminal so she lessened the verdict to probation instead.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Where are you getting this from? Cancyou timestamp it? From what I saw of the video, it was the judge that says she knows who are criminals and the shooter was not a criminal so she lessened the verdict to probation instead.

How the FUCK?! Anyone can be a criminal! That judge saw an old Asian lady and basically gave her a hall pass! She shot and killed a 15 yr old girl IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD! I'm sorry but that's what criminals do!

"I know what criminals look like and this Asian woman is not one judging by how she looks" is not logical nor a legal standard. The Asian woman didn't like black people at all .. and the judge gave a much harsher sentence to a black man for kicking a dog than she did for this woman who shot and killed a whole human being from behind... Her assertion that it was in the heat of battle was also a lie. The girl was walking AWAY ... Not running, not jogging... Walking! Du looked over the counter after killing her and was calm! She killed her on purpose and was calm about it. Du and the judge were in the wrong.

The judge said:

"Did Mrs. Du react inappropriately? Absolutely. But was that reaction understandable? I think that it was." Karlin added, "this is not a time for revenge... and no matter what sentence this court imposes Mrs. Du will be punished every day for the rest of her life."

Calmly shooting, looking over the counter and no frantic antics (a sign of someone who didn't want to take a life) says she didn't regret it at all. A bottle of juice ... Smh

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I’m still waiting on where you got this from. How about answering it first? Have you ever been a cashier at a convenience store?

It's all in the video. Her dismissive look after shooting Latasha Harlin.

And no I haven't. So she was justified for shooting her after 2 punches and WALKING away to LEAVE?! I know you said Harlin shouldn't have been shot if she was shoplifting but you seem to be continually trying to say Du was justified somehow to shoot her in the back BECAUSE she allegedly shoplifted.

demigod

It's all in the video. Her dismissive look after shooting Latasha Harlin.

And no I haven't. So she was justified for shooting her after 2 punches and WALKING away to LEAVE?! I know you said Harlin shouldn't have been shot if she was shoplifting but you seem to be continually trying to say Du was justified somehow to shoot her in the back BECAUSE she allegedly shoplifted.
So you have no evidence that she is racist, you’re just assuming. You’ve never worked at a convenience store either. When I worked there for my parents, we watch everyone that comes to the store, not just African Americans like you think.

Nope, my stance is she should’ve called the cops instead of shooting the kid. Nice try.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So you have no evidence that she is racist, you’re just assuming. You’ve never worked at a convenience store either. When I worked there for my parents, we watch everyone that comes to the store, not just African Americans like you think.

Nope, my stance is she should’ve called the cops instead of shooting the kid. Nice try.

Then why are you still trying to defend Du? I don't get it. You think she's guilty but your words say "but..."

I've worked in retail and know you should watch everyone but make it seem like you're not. Duh... That's standard for any place of business. In THAT neighborhood her store was in, almost all her customers were black.

And it may be an assumption but someone who feels remorse for killing someone, even if justified, isn't going to look over the counter and look dismissive like she took out the trash.

And unfortunately, immigrants at that time had nothing but stereotypes about black people. That's a documented thing. And because of those stereotypes, black folks in those neighborhoods believed every dumb stereotype about Asians.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
anyway back to OJ:

lmfao how did the prosecution or LAPD manage to fuck this up so bad. Homer Simpson could have successfully tried this case

They had a ton of blood evidence. But when you got a jury that believed it was all planted, no amount of evidence was going to convict him.

Thaedolus

They had a ton of blood evidence. But when you got a jury that believed it was all planted, no amount of evidence was going to convict him.
To be fair, it sounds like LAPD may have done a bit of planting or other shit to damage their own credibility? I dunno, I’m definitely no expert on the case, but sounds like they had no need to do any of that shit but did it anyway because it was their MO

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Watching the ESPN documentary on Disney + in the background while working from home.

First time I see Nicole & Ron Goldman's crime scene pictures up close without censorship. Took me by surprise.
That gap in her neck is atrocious.
And that hole in Goldman's neck.
I close my eyes & they're tattooed in my mind.

Also juror #9 on why they only deliberated for 3 and a half hours:

"We had to go home".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Watching the ESPN documentary on Disney + in the background while working from home.

First time I see Nicole & Ron Goldman's crime scene pictures up close without censorship. Took me by surprise.
That gap in her neck is atrocious.
And that hole in Goldman's neck.
I close my eyes & they're tattooed in my mind.

Also juror #9 on why they only deliberated for 3 and a half hours:

"We had to go home".
IMO, there should be no juries. while a judge (some cases you hear about multiple judges, which I'm not sure why... maybe for major cases?) should makes the decision. He or she knows the law 100x better than any jury, is more logical, smarter, and should be less prone to dumb shit like wanting to go home early.

I totally get that someone will say "But what if the judge is bad". Fair point. But so can 12 idiots in the jury box. The legal system is putting a person on trial whose life can be jail or freedom based on 12 people who can be total morons.

If any of you have an issue with doctor stuff, finances, real estate, or even fixing your car. You go to people who know their shit and give you hopefully good advice. Maybe it's good advice, maybe it turns out it's shit advice. But I'd rather trust them to handle my serious issue than asking 12 random people who might not give a shit or be idiots.

The courts seem organized more like this. The experts who know whats going on act as host. And if you need doctors' advice, instead of them giving their answer, you sit in a clinic room and the doctors pulls in 12 random people off the street and asks them what they think. Insane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom