• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"To Begin With? Everything." The Official ROCK BAND Thread (M3wThr33: WE HATE YOU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
AMUSIX said:
Anyone having an issue with the DLC after the recent patch?

I have one 360 that cannot be continually connected to the net. It has its own account that I use when downloading music. Before the patch, I could connect it, download music, then disconnect from the net, move it to it's location, start it up, and the downloaded tracks would be available to play.

Now, a number of the tracks won't load up. They appear on the list of songs to play, but highlighting them does not produce a preview, and selecting them sends the game into loading for eternity (with an appropriate fact on the load screen).

The songs that are affected that I've found so far, are the Police Songs, The David Bowie songs, and the Metallica tracks. Has anyone run into this? Are there ways of fixing the issue? At the very least, are there ways of removing the songs from the list?

yea thats the same thing thats happening to me with the boston tracks

but im connected continually :-/

Look what I found in the menswear department at Target. $9.99.

kd7i9i.jpg

Spruchy

Lol I have a Rock Band shirt, its just a black shirt with the official art (the one from the big box I believe).

That shirt from target is ugly as shit and target is probably happy as hell they sold it.

TheGreatDave said:
I still think Easy mode in Rock Band (and Guitar Hero) is completely fucking worthless. A girl me and my girlfriend played with went from never playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero to beating Reptilia on Hard in about 4 days. I don't think she could beat anything later than that, but still. I think the names are kinda misrepresentive.
Easy exists for nongamers who come over and want to try the game out and can barely comprehend the idea of pushing one button while holding another button.

So what have you guys gold starred in terms of drumming? I've done a lot of the easier songs.

Creep
Say It Ain't So
I Think I'm Paranoid
Main Offender
Mississippi Queen
Gimme Shelter
My Iron Lung
Wanted Dead or Alive

BobFromPikeCreek said:
So what have you guys gold starred in terms of drumming? I've done a lot of the easier songs.

Creep
Say It Ain't So
I Think I'm Paranoid
Main Offender
Mississippi Queen
Gimme Shelter
My Iron Lung
Wanted Dead or Alive

Oasis' "Live Forever" is probably the easiest song to 100% and gold star on expert (it's how I got the flawless drumming achievement). It's pretty repetitive (good song though)

even with the on-disc "easy" songs, there's always one small part that trips me up. So I max out around 98-99%, lol

Of All Trades said:
Easy exists for nongamers who come over and want to try the game out and can barely comprehend the idea of pushing one button while holding another button.

Maybe if the non gamer is a blind autistic kid with Downs Syndrome easy mode may come in useful.

I kid. I play Halo on fucking casual. But I think the difficulties could do with a little fine tuning.

soul creator said:
even with the on-disc "easy" songs, there's always one small part that trips me up. So I max out around 98-99%, lol
That's pretty much how I am too, but out of persistence I've managed to gold star those 8. I always screw up something little.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
CajoleJuice said:
I remember BenjaminBirdie making many posts about sucking on Easy in Guitar Hero III.

Almost everyone I know has tried these games, and outside of vocals only one of them can handle anything over Easy. One of my cousins' daughters can play GHIII comfortably on Hard. One of my cousins' in-laws studied music at Berkeley and could probably kill it on drums, but he hasn't been around when I had the game out yet.

CajoleJuice said:
I remember BenjaminBirdie making many posts about sucking on Easy in Guitar Hero III.

It was actually the fact that I could only 4 Star "Raining Blood" on Easy. My jaunts through Easy are usually recreational exercises to get acquainted with the song list in the game. The fact that I couldn't Five Star it with ease was absolutely a fucking War Crime. I'm not that bad.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
TheGreatDave said:
Maybe if the non gamer is a blind autistic kid with Downs Syndrome easy mode may come in useful.

I've played guitar for 7 years now and I still started on easy. I mean, I moved up to medium after 10 songs or so once I got the hang of it but I couldn't just start on a high difficulty.

Jesiatha

BobFromPikeCreek said:

Say It Ain't So
Creep
I Think I'm Paranoid
Wanted Dead or Alive
In Bloom
Gimme Shelter
Here It Goes Again
Main Offender
Reptilia
Blitzkrieg Bop
Should I Stay or Should I Go
Sabotage
Dani California
Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Vasoline
Green Grass & High Tides
Enter Sandman

I had gold starred all of these except In Bloom and Are You Gonna Be My Girl before I could beat Don't Fear the Reaper. I'm also *THIS* close to Cherub Rock, which I would really like to get.

Jesiatha said:
Say It Ain't So
Creep
I Think I'm Paranoid
Wanted Dead or Alive
In Bloom
Gimme Shelter
Here It Goes Again
Main Offender
Reptilia
Blitzkrieg Bop
Should I Stay or Should I Go
Sabotage
Dani California
Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Vasoline
Green Grass & High Tides
Enter Sandman

I had gold starred all of these except In Bloom and Are You Gonna Be My Girl before I could beat Don't Fear the Reaper. I'm also *THIS* close to Cherub Rock, which I would really like to get.
Impressive. I can come extremely close on a lot of those, but I always screw up one thing. here or there.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
BobFromPikeCreek said:
So what have you guys gold starred in terms of drumming?

Say It Ain't So
Creep
I Think I'm Paranoid
Wanted Dead or Alive
In Bloom
Gimme Shelter
Wave of Mutilation
Celebrity Skin
Mississippi Queen
Here it Goes Again
Suffragette City
Main Offender
Maps
Reptilia
Epic
Blitzkrieg Bop
Should I Stay Or Should I Go
Learn to Fly
The Hand That Feeds
Sabotage
Paranoid
Dani California
Orange Crush
Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Welcome Home
Vasoline
When You Were Young
Green Grass and High Tides
Ballroom Blitz
Cherub Rock
Enter Sandman
Flirtin' With Disaster
29 Fingers (Tier 1)
Seven (FC'ed impossible to gold star)
Pleasure (Pleasure)
I'm So Sick
Time We Had
Day Late, Dollar Short
I Get By

I'm about 70,000 points away from 10 million and stopped playing for score 2-3 weeks ago when my 4th set of drums started missing notes on the yellow pad. I don't play the drums so I tend to hit a bit too hard, or harder than the RB drums can handle I suppose.

I'm done sending kits into EA, so I'm going to go with the mod to end them all, which is the Electronic drum kit mod. I'm going to pick up a roland kit here in a few days (hopefully) and by then I should have all the other parts needed to get the kit working with Rock Band. I'm not buying the kit just for Rock Band, but it is definitely a large factor.

sneaky77

TheGreatDave said:

I kid. I play Halo on fucking casual. But I think the difficulties could do with a little fine tuning.

I know people that fail songs in easy.. I also know someone that got frustrated because gh3 medium was too hard for him. So there are people that need those difficulties.

Perdew

duderon said:
Say It Ain't So
lots of songs

I'm about 70,000 points away from 10 million and stopped playing for score 2-3 weeks ago when my 4th set of drums started missing notes on the yellow pad. I don't play the drums so I tend to hit a bit too hard, or harder than the RB drums can handle I suppose.

I'm done sending kits into EA, so I'm going to go with the mod to end them all, which is the Electronic drum kit mod. I'm going to pick up a roland kit here in a few days (hopefully) and by then I should have all the other parts needed to get the kit working with Rock Band. I'm not buying the kit just for Rock Band, but it is definitely a large factor.

Yea, I'm grinding my way up through the 9 millions and I'm sick of my drum pad too. I'm just waiting for a 3rd party higher end one, though. No idea when those are supposed to hit (I forget the name of it too. God I'm useless today)

I just hate how it sticks to only 3 frets. It makes the jump from medium to hard needlessly difficult by teaching people to keep their hand locked in one place. I don't think they should increase the number of notes or the speed though. But it would be like a DDR game only making you step up or down for an entire song.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Perdew said:
Yea, I'm grinding my way up through the 9 millions and I'm sick of my drum pad too. I'm just waiting for a 3rd party higher end one, though. No idea when those are supposed to hit (I forget the name of it too. God I'm useless today)

I think MadCatz is licensed for peripherals and ION Audio showed a prototype RB kit at CES, but they've said absolutely nothing about actually producing it. ION kits are notorious for not working, as well.

edit: I take back what I said about them not producing it.

Ion is producing a high quality drumkit controler for this game keep your eyes out on the site in the future!

and look in the CES 2008 topics.

Kind Regards

Posted on the ION message board a few days ago. I wouldn't hold my breath on the "high quality" claim though.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Perdew said:
Damn. So you are saying you can pull a Drummania and use a USB let's say... Yamaha drum pad? Modded of course... somehow.

Not quite, you basically utilize the MIDI out on any electronic kit. This goes to an MSA board that decodes the signal and then tells the Rock Band drum controller which button to hit. So you still need the drum controller, but not necessarily the pads.

This thread details the mod and how it came to be, with troubleshooting and all that good stuff.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20420

And here's a more succinct tutorial on how to perform the mod.

http://theflashspeaks.wordpress.com/2008/02/03/playing-rock-band-with-a-yamaha-dtxplorer-how-to/

In a band can you only get a gold star if both play on Expert? I only sing on Medium so I'm always blaming my girlfriend playing guitar on Expert if we don't get gold.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
TheGreatDave said:
In a band can you only get a gold star if both play on Expert? I only sing on Medium so I'm always blaming my girlfriend playing guitar on Expert if we don't get gold.

Yeah, everyone has to be playing on expert.

TheGreatDave said:
Pretty sure everyone must be on expert.

Argyle

duderon said:
Not quite, you basically utilize the MIDI out on any electronic kit. This goes to an MSA board that decodes the signal and then tells the Rock Band drum controller which button to hit. So you still need the drum controller, but not necessarily the pads.

This thread details the mod and how it came to be, with troubleshooting and all that good stuff.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20420

And here's a more succinct tutorial on how to perform the mod.

http://theflashspeaks.wordpress.com/2008/02/03/playing-rock-band-with-a-yamaha-dtxplorer-how-to/

Nice! I had bought a USB drum kit with the intention of using a PC to interface it to a Percussion Freaks 6 board a few years ago in exactly the same fashion but never got around to it, you know how it is, sometimes real life beckons...

Maybe I need to shoot this guy an email since it looks like he did most of the heavy lifting for me. :)

123rl

Not hassle-free, but it is possible

a, Sign up for a US PSN account (search on Google for details)

b, Sign up for an account with ENTROPAY at www.entropay.com

This is an online 'Virtual Visa Card'. You top it up with a Visa credit/debit card for a small fee (5%...about 50p for every £10). Go back to PSN and add a new credit/debit card...type in your Entropay account name, expiration date, card number etc and it's done! Now you just top up your Entropay account whenever you want to top up your PSN Wallet to buy stuff from PSN :D

I keep my Entropay money at a minimum. I just log in, add £10 or so onto Entropay and it's done immediately. Go onto PSN and select something to buy it. I add the funds to my PSN Wallet and it's taken out immediately. Works flawlessly for me and I've probably spent about £30 using this since I started

My girlfriend is the kind of person to restart a song if she misses a note in the first minute and doesn't believe the song is difficult enough to warrent it. Winding her up isn't a good way for me to get anything but a guitar neck in the gut.

sneaky77

TheGreatDave said:
My girlfriend is the kind of person to restart a song if she misses a note in the first minute and doesn't believe the song is difficult enough to warrent it. Winding her up isn't a good way for me to get anything but a guitar neck in the gut.

nothing wrong with being a little kinky lol

123rl

I just went to the Rock Store and it says I've already bought the Boston songs? That's news to me...I just went there to buy them. But I can't buy them in the PSN Store either. Aren't they available yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom