• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"To Begin With? Everything." The Official ROCK BAND Thread (M3wThr33: WE HATE YOU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what's the final verdict on worth if you're going to buy Rock Band as a mostly single player game?

Are the single player tours fun and of value when comparing them to the same in GH3?

Will I be pissed because I can't play BWT?

I'll occasionally be able to play BWT with my wife and friends, but largely this will be played single player.

I may pick this up today. What I'm really looking for in the end is the same single player experience as I get with GH3, only with different songs and two more instruments. Also the much better DLC.

The rest is gravy.

Willl I be happy?

TheExodu5

Banned
gregor7777 said:
So, what's the final verdict on worth if you're going to buy Rock Band as a mostly single player game?

Are the single player tours fun and of value when comparing them to the same in GH3?

I'll occasionally be able to play BWT with my wife and friends, but largely this will be played single player.

I may pick this up today. What I'm really looking for in the end is the same single player experience as I get with GH3, only with different songs and two more instruments. Also the much better DLC.

The rest is gravy.

Willl I be happy?

If you plan on playing the drums primarily, it's totally worth it. The guitar is worth it if:

a) You like the Strat
b) If you don't like the Strat, you can use a Les Paul or Xplorer instead

gregor7777 said:

The rest is gravy.

Willl I be happy?

you'll be fine. Guitar is mostly easier compared to GH3, but unless you're a super hardcore GH3 player, you should be fine. Drums are probably the biggest draw anyways.

And if you really wanna go all out, you can buy a mic stand and do BWT by yourself playing guitar and singer :p

Struct09

gregor7777 said:

The rest is gravy.

Willl I be happy?

While multiplayer is where this game is at, I play it single player about 95% of the time and it's still my favorite game this generation. If you liked the single player progression of the Guitar Hero games, there's no reason you won't like the single player progression of this game. The songs may not provide as big of a challenge on guitar as the GH games, but they're still a lot of fun.

sneaky77

gregor7777 said:

The rest is gravy.

Willl I be happy?

I usually play by myself.. and I have a blast to be honest... u can play BWT on your own, by singing and playing guitar at the same time

gregor7777 said:

The rest is gravy.

Willl I be happy?

I've played it 80% solo. Depending on your relative skill level, it completely outclasses GH3. There's access to more songs, and the charts are much more fun to a player of medium skill.

If you're on a pro-level, though, it might not be as satisfying. But there are three completely separate paths of solo play.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I don't have internet at home currently. If I take my X360 over to my gf's house and buy the Boston pack, will I be able to play those songs on my original X360 without internet at my place?

Jesiatha

DJ_Tet said:
I don't have internet at home currently. If I take my X360 over to my gf's house and buy the Boston pack, will I be able to play those songs on my original X360 without internet at my place?

As long as you buy them on your console, you'll be fine. When you purchase content, it is licensed to the purchasing console in addition to your gamertag.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Depending on your relative skill level, it completely outclasses GH3. There's access to more songs, and the charts are much more fun to a player of medium skill.

I don't understand this. You keep saying it, but I still don't understand it.

Is Raining Blood and One on Medium really that much harder than Green Grass and Train Kept A Rollin' on Medium? I'm not calling you out, I'm genuinely interested. I've obviously not played them to do a direct comparison, but I played GGAHT on hard and it really didn't seem all that different to what I expect from GH:3 hard.

Chichikov

TheGreatDave said:
I don't understand this. You keep saying it, but I still don't understand it.

Is Raining Blood and One on Medium really that much harder than Green Grass and Train Kept A Rollin' on Medium? I'm not calling you out, I'm genuinely interested. I've obviously not played them to do a direct comparison, but I played GGAHT on hard and it really didn't seem all that different to what I expect from GH:3 hard.
Not sure about medium, but on hard I find Guitar Hero 3 to be much harder than Rock Band.

Chichikov said:
Not sure about medium, but on hard I find Guitar Hero 3 to be much harder than Rock Band.

I agree with that. But medium on both only uses 4 both frets, and has minimal hammer on sections. From a charting conventions stand point I don't see what the difference is. But like I said, I've only played GH:3 on medium, not Rock Band. And I only did it for achievements, so you know. I wasn't exactly taking it in.

The Jer

GH3 on medium is much harder than Rock Band on medium.

Take it from someone who has experienced both games on medium and has played song like Raining Blood and GGaHT on medium.

I just started playing these games in 2008, so I know what it's like to play these games and be a "medium skilled player"

The Jer said:
GH3 on medium is much harder than Rock Band on medium.

Take it from someone who has experienced both games on medium and has played song like Raining Blood and GGaHT on medium.

I just started playing these games in 2008, so I know what it's like to play these games and be a "medium skilled player"

Fair enough I guess. I spent exactly one day beating my first Guitar Hero (2) on medium, so I can't relate. Mad uber l33t skills fo shizzle.

TheGreatDave said:
I agree with that. But medium on both only uses 4 both frets, and has minimal hammer on sections. From a charting conventions stand point I don't see what the difference is. But like I said, I've only played GH:3 on medium, not Rock Band. And I only did it for achievements, so you know. I wasn't exactly taking it in.

And from the charting conventions standpoint I do. I stopped enjoying one, and have yet to have that occur on the other. Pretty simple. YMMV.

The Jer

TheGreatDave said:
Fair enough I guess. I spent exactly one day beating my first Guitar Hero (2) on medium, so I can't relate. Mad uber l33t skills fo shizzle.
I spent about 2-3 weeks on medium and played as much of every GH game I could (I played most of the songs in 3 and about half of 1, with hardly and 2), while I went through the Rock Band solo tour. After I finished the solo tour, I started the tour on hard. It was about another month before I decided to start trying expert... and that brings me to present day guitar hero/rock band. So, I'm probably progressing slower than most...

The Jer

So, I've finally tried all my songs on expert guitar and... ggrrrr... 80/96 songs completed.

I feel like I'm stuck and won't get good enough to complete those other songs.

also,
holy crap at Blackened...
and why does the solo in Ride The Lightning have to be so hard, I do great up until then.

sneaky77

The Jer said:
So, I've finally tried all my songs on expert guitar and... ggrrrr... 80/96 songs completed.

I feel like I'm stuck and won't get good enough to complete those other songs.

also,
holy crap at Blackened...
and why does the solo in Ride The Lightning have to be so hard, I do great up until then.

I am pretty much in the same situation.. lol there are some songs I just havent been able to get yet..

The Jer said:
I spent about 2-3 weeks on medium and played as much of every GH game I could (I played most of the songs in 3 and about half of 1, with hardly and 2), while I went through the Rock Band solo tour. After I finished the solo tour, I started the tour on hard. It was about another month before I decided to start trying expert... and that brings me to present day guitar hero/rock band. So, I'm probably progressing slower than most...

Hard took me several months to get through on GH:2. I just had enough experience in other rhythm games for medium on Guitar Hero 2 to be a piece of cake for me.

Thanks for the opinions everyone, I just picked up Rock Band! May not get to play right away, but I jumped on a deal.

For anyone who's interested, I got Rock Band & 1600 points for $152.99 (before tax) from Circuit City..

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Rock...sem/rpsm/oid/188989/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Use the 10% off to bring it to 152.99. I went with in store pickup, and when I got there on the back page of the circular it said get a free 1600 points card with purchase. So I asked the lady and she added it on and was good to go. I think the 10% off online expires tonight though.

Anyhow, here's a new question:

What the absolutely EASIEST song on easy for drums? It can be on disc or a download track. It's for my 6 year old daughter who I know will want to play drums. Something to get her learning.

Just downloaded this right now!! Proof, in case you think it's a gag (which I thought it was).

2377923245_9e49b36c03.jpg

Dunno if it is in the in-game store, I imagine it is.

Onemic

gregor7777 said:
Thanks for the opinions everyone, I just picked up Rock Band! May not get to play right away, but I jumped on a deal.

For anyone who's interested, I got Rock Band & 1600 points for $152.99 (before tax) from Circuit City..

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Rock...sem/rpsm/oid/188989/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Use the 10% off to bring it to 152.99. I went with in store pickup, and when I got there on the back page of the circular it said get a free 1600 points card with purchase. So I asked the lady and she added it on and was good to go. I think the 10% off online expires tonight though.

Anyhow, here's a new question:

What the absolutely EASIEST song on easy for drums? It can be on disc or a download track. It's for my 6 year old daughter who I know will want to play drums. Something to get her learning.

Weezer-say it aint so

or that craptastic song by the konks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom