• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, I am a Father: A Homebirth Account

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 3:54AM, my son, Roman, was born.

8 pounds, 4 ounces in weight.
14.5 inch head circumference.
21.75 inches long.

My wife and I chose to have a home birth instead of a hospital birth. After a great deal of research, we became uncomfortable with the "factory birth" model most hospitals follow, the use of epidurals, and the general unfamiliarity of a hospital environment for the birthing process. We hired a professional midwife, as well.

As my wife was able to be in the comfort of her own home, her contractions began at a much closer spread than is typical: about 2 minutes apart. Hospital births typically result in 4-5 minute intervals due to the woman being in a foreign environment. After 3 hours of contractions, the midwife had set up a warm tub for my wife and I to be in. The warm water helped reduce her contraction pain (significantly), and moistened her vaginal canal to aid in pushing. After an hour.5 of contractions in the pool with my wife, it was time to push.

Thirty minutes of contractions and pushing later, Roman was born. Since my wife did not take any pain medication, he was awake and alert - immediately looking around him. He did not cry at all. My wife, upon inspection, did not suffer from any vaginal tearing. She was fully aware and awake, and was able to hold our son in the water while I cut the umbilical cord. Here is what the pool looked like by the time we got out:

JqEQxRz.jpg

For a while, we just hung out in the pool. My wife was exhausted - she had been laboring since 11PM. The total labor time was about 5 hours; average is 8 hours, so we are very happy with that result. After we had this time, the midwife helped my wife to the bedroom and set up our bed so she could lay with Roman and breastfeed. Roman latched immediate - "a natural breast man", to quote the midwife. He still didn't cry at this point - he was just interested and observant of the world around him. Here is a picture:

We plan on encapsulating the placenta; the midwife is going to save a "jerky slice" for me to try. You only live once, you know? The placenta (spoiler tagged since it bothers some):

We were very happy with the overall experience. No travel stress, hospital stress, unfamiliar environment, drugs, and the bill is about $8,000 cheaper (yay!). Zero regrets from us on the experience, and we have a healthy baby boy.

While I'm excited to have my son, I also thought that this might be a good opportunity for interested posters to ask questions about home births. It's not a popular decision in the United States, but I would like to see that change. Home births are a very intimate affair compared to the typical alternative.

UPDATE:
Eating the placenta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_lX8inxPGs

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Congrats! You should throw that $8,000 into his college fund right now!

Some people are going to take issue with that placenta picture, though.

akira28

kiddie pool full of blood and that's my limit for the night.

edit: congrats. I think..maybe you are viewing this with father-vision though. Thank god the plancenta picture didn't load. it's probably 10 Mbs jpeg and huge.

Leynos

Congrats on the baby! We had ours in a hospital, and would do so again - I find there to be too much risk with home-birthing in case of medical emergency. My ex-wife's second kid was born with spina bifida, and hydrocephaly, and don't want to imagine what would have happened had he been born at home.

What does encapsulating a placenta mean?

Very cool. Congrats, Karsticles! Really interesting to read, and I say keep the bath and placenta pictures in. They're part of the process and potential parents are going to see a lot more than that. As someone in the process now, I appreciate candid accounts and alternatives like this.

First off, what is encapsulation with the placenta? And are you seriously going to eat a piece or was that a joke?

I would have died if I chose home birth, so I'm glad I didn't. (Really weird birth defect gave me to two uterui and only one cervix, I had to deliver all three via c-section)

akira28

Very cool. Congrats, Karsticles! Really interesting to read, and I say keep the bath and placenta pictures in. They're part of the process and potential parents are going to see a lot more than that. As someone in the process now, I appreciate candid accounts and alternatives like this.

lol this gritty reality is too much for me.

probably slightly granular reality too.

Fusebox

Banned
Gratz man, can't imagine doing a homebirth, just glad to hear there was no complications.

Did you get to spend some skin on skin time with bubs or did you spend the rest of the day emptying and cleaning a bloody pool?

Africanus

That's probably more than just blood! :D

Sweat and tears are also in that over-sized hospital wash basin:
DYND50350-184_126.jpg

Congratulations original poster. I wish you the best. One question however, while I am certainly not one to fall ill over pictures of blood and body parts, do you really intend to consume the placenta? And why? I have heard it is tradition in certain areas.

You are going to get so much advice you'll start to hate it lol. (Btw, please warn me if I am starting to get to that weird place as well)

I wish I could like, share labor experience with you, but all I got is that the contractions weren't anywhere near as painful as I expected them to be. And I was at full dilation by the time they figured out something was wrong, so at least I got that full experience. I apparently slept through 90% of my labor, woke up with a bit of cramping like I really needed to go to the bathroom, got out of bed, walked two steps and my water broke. Like, busted everywhere.

For most people though when the water breaks it's just a trickle. My weird anatomy and the fact he was breach meant it alllllll came out at once lol.

Darksol

You were very stupid in opting to have a homebirth. I'm glad it went fine, but you put the child's life at risk, should anything have gone wrong. You got a midwife which is better than nothing, but it's still no substitute for an actual medical facility with onsite equipment and staff prepared for any possible situation.

Patton Oswalt - Home Births

"If one more of my Whole Foods friends tells me that I have to have a home birth I am going to punch all the soy on the planet."

Dice//

Banned
I think it's great and pretty admirable when women opt for home birth (usually meaning it's a healthy/safe pregnancy and usually unmedicated...ouch!).

And a small "lol" to the reactions in this topic that are tantamount to "Eeeek BLOOD". Though I admit I never get used to seeing a placenta...
They look like blob fish

You were very stupid in opting to have a homebirth. I'm glad it went fine, but you put the child's life at risk, should anything have gone wrong.

"If one more of my Whole Foods friends tells me that I have to have a home birth I am going to punch all the soy on the planet."

"Very stupid"? Was Patton Oswald the person who informed this opinion for ya?
I'm sure they came to this decision for some reason (often home births are optioned when the pregnancy is a safe/healthy one, like I mentioned above) and, well thank god I guess their kid is ok and homebirth didn't ruin it haha

akira28

you seem pretty evangelical about home births.

I kind of dig that, and kind of don't. Birth isn't a medical procedure, it's true. And these days too many hospitals are charging for a quickie C-section when mothers could have natural births. In a lot of areas if has become a class thing, where impovrished mothers almost exclusively have their babies cut out of their wombs in a quick procedure and wealthier mothers have natural births with all the waiting an extra care that goes with it.

So now there is a movement lead by midwives and homebirthers to bring the focus back on the event between mother and child instead of doctor and patient.

t-storm

Congrats! You can tell you're feeling the new parent euphoria in your post. I'm sure you guys have lots of ideas and plans of what you will do and won't do as parents. Just wait a few weeks when no one is sleeping for nights on end or when he's having meltdowns at 3 years old and all of that goes out the window :)

entremet

I kind of dig that, and kind of don't. Birth isn't a medical procedure, it's true. And these days too many hospitals are charging for a quickie C-section when mothers could have natural births. In a lot of areas if has become a class thing, where impovrished mothers almost exclusively have their babies cut out of their wombs in a quick procedure and wealthier mothers have natural births with all the waiting an extra care that goes with it.

So now there is a movement lead by midwives and homebirthers to bring the focus back on the event between mother and child instead of doctor and patient.

I was reading that natural birth---not necessarily home birth---allow the child to obtain beneficial bacteria from the birth canal and yes even some fecal bacteria from the mother.

Those beneficial bugs are important and babies delivered via C-section do not get that "bathing" of beneficial bacteria.

It's really new research:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3110651/

gdt

Of course it's all up to you and your wife.....

But are we just gonna sit around and act like that story is okay? It's wacky as hell. I can't even think about the placenta eating part, it makes my stomach turn.

Still, congrats on the baby. Please take him for checkups and vaccines and stuff.

DarkFlow

Banned
Congrats! You can tell you're feeling the new parent euphoria in your post. I'm sure you guys have lots of ideas and plans of what you will do and won't do as parents. Just wait a few weeks when no one is sleeping for nights on end or when he's having meltdowns at 3 years old and all of that goes out the window :)
Pretty much lol. My son is 3 now and more of a butthead then ever. He didn't start sleeping fully through the night till he was 2.

But are we just gonna sit around and act like that story is okay? It's wacky as hell. I can't even think about the placenta eating part, it makes my stomach turn.

Still, congrats on the baby. Please take him for checkups and vaccines and stuff.
He basically said "LOL modern medicine".

whitehawk

Banned
You were very stupid in opting to have a homebirth. I'm glad it went fine, but you put the child's life at risk, should anything have gone wrong. You got a midwife which is better than nothing, but it's still no substitute for an actual medical facility with onsite equipment and staff prepared for any possible situation.

Home births are more common than you think. I'm surprised they aren't more common with how much hospitals charge in the US for a delivery.

Dice//

Banned

It really depends. I've heard some cultures are way more open to it then others... C'est la vie, hell to me the UK drives on "the wrong side of the road". :p I'd never take part in it, but it's not 'harmful' to human health...so....*BIG shrug*

I dunno, i think eating a duck fetus is also a meal and people have eaten "stranger" things.

pour it out on the driveway, the curb usually has a stormdrain or something.

Halloween's coming up... scare some neighbours... Hell that sounds fun now actually.

Dude Abides

Banned
Good job on the home birth. Now make sure the baby doesn't eat any GMO foods and for gods sake no vaccines they have thiomersal.

entremet

Home births are more common than you think. I'm surprised they aren't more common with how much hospitals charge in the US for a delivery.

Yep. Funny thing, it's usually middle class to upper middle class folks who consider them.

Surprised people are so shocked about it.

People actually think the OP is a antivaxxer or something based on some of the replies.

ezrarh

Yep. Funny thing, it's usually middle class to upper middle class folks who consider them.

Surprised people are so shocked about it.

People actually think the OP is a antivaxxer or something based on some of the replies.

Middle class folks tend to have to pay a lot on out of pocket charges. My girlfriend and I have considered at home birth if it ever gets to that point. She's worked in labor and delivery and her preference is to have at at home birth based on everything she's seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom