• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, I am a Father: A Homebirth Account

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad it went well but you seem like you are heading to being one of those unbearable preachy parents that criticise and look down on any that don't breastfeed / baby carry etc, after one day that's pretty impressive going.

Also the placenta thing is mad weird to me. I get that it's an old tradition but when you combine it with the fact you say you have an obsession with canibalism it takes an extremely creepy turn IMO.

Home births seem a nice experience though I have to say; though an experience that would likely have killed my wife and son.

Fuck this, my wife and I are going to the hospital. And that placenta happy meal... Nah.

Glad everything went well for you though, and I'm confident that if your plane was to ever crash in the Andes you would survive, the other passengers on the other hand...

Congratulations!

My wife attempted a home birth for our first. Ended up with a c- section four days later. Thankful for modern medicine in our case.

dzdpffc.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
"It tastes like wood but crunchier."

I think I might actually throw up.

Glad it went well but you seem like you are heading to being one of those unbearable preachy parents that criticise and look down on any that don't breastfeed / baby carry etc, after one day that's pretty impressive going.

Also the placenta thing is mad weird to me. I get that it's an old tradition but when you combine it with the fact you say you have an obsession with canibalism it takes an extremely creepy turn IMO.

Agreed. This whole thread making me feel uneasy.

Magwik

Banned
"Oh cool a thread about someone becoming a father this should be heartwarming"
"Oh ... Pictures which weren't hidden because of mobile ..."
I'm not clicking the video
I'm not clicking the video

bengraven

A friend of mine had one unintentionally. Third kid and they were all packed up and ready to leave at a moment's notice. They were watching some Netflix in bed, getting ready for sleep when boom. Apparently she either had very weak contractions compared to normal or just waited too long.

She never left the bed, it happened so fast. Thankfully my friend is a trained police officer and first aid type. He delivered his own kid within 15 fucking minutes.

Two nurses came from the local hospital an hour later and checked the baby out, weighed it, etc, checked out mom. Things were cool.

I was still shocked they didn't bring them to the hospital immediately afterwards - like you legally have to be in the hospital after giving birth, no matter where, but I guess as long as mom and baby are good, it's like "move along, nothing to see here".

lol this gritty reality is too much for me.

probably slightly granular reality too.

Haha. It IS front and center, but it's a normal part of life, so why shy away from it? Unless you were just having a nice big bowl of bolognese... :D

You are going to get so much advice you'll start to hate it lol. (Btw, please warn me if I am starting to get to that weird place as well)

I wish I could like, share labor experience with you, but all I got is that the contractions weren't anywhere near as painful as I expected them to be. And I was at full dilation by the time they figured out something was wrong, so at least I got that full experience. I apparently slept through 90% of my labor, woke up with a bit of cramping like I really needed to go to the bathroom, got out of bed, walked two steps and my water broke. Like, busted everywhere.

For most people though when the water breaks it's just a trickle. My weird anatomy and the fact he was breach meant it alllllll came out at once lol.

Probably. :) It's still early enough that's it's more interesting than annoying. The only thing that's off-limits are horror stories. Why people greet me with tales of tearing bits and near death stuff when I tell them I'm pregnant pisses me off. Do they think fear is helpful when I'm already scared? I already pass out just doing blood work as it is. My husband is starting to go into protect-bear mode when he hears about some of things people have told me. But anyway, you're like a go to already for good info on just about everything mom, and I think your birthing sit is really interesting. :)

P.S. I won't lie, I'm hoping for the trickle and not the water balloon.

Wow, congratulations! I had no idea you were pregnant. I'm glad you appreciate the account - I just want to share my personal experience. Everyone is welcome to do as they like or prefer.

Thanks, yo~ Just got past the 'safety' mark a bit ago and heading into the halfway zone now. I'm very keen to hear all the options for the end part, so it's nice to have such a thorough account of the home birthing process. I'm not sure I'd be as brave as you and your wife, but very cool to read, regardless, especially since you did so much research on it.

As for the placenta eating, it seems to be at least not uncommon now. A pair of twins I worked with back in day did the same, but ah, a bit more direct than the pills you guys are doing. They
cooked and made a meat sauce for spaghetti out of it.
At the time I'd never heard of such a thing, but you're the 3rd person in the last two years to go that route, so maybe it's coming back. Haha. Think I might just donate my own for research or whatnot when the time comes, though. :)

Anyway, congrats again, and I look forward to more updates if you post them.

entremet

Honest question ; what is wrong with you? Why on earth would you or anyone want to eat a placenta? What century is this?

You actually admitted to having an obsession with cannibalism and no one called you out on it. It's just congrats all around. What the actual fuck, GAF. This is easily one of the sickest things I've read on GAF but everyone is overlooking it because, yay, a baby was born? Forget the gross pics, people... he ate human flesh.

Yeah, sorry. No congrats here, cannibal.
Google Placenta cookbook.

Surprised so many people never heard of this.

I'd never do it myself lol.

way more

Honest question ; what is wrong with you? Why on earth would you or anyone want to eat a placenta? What century is this?

You actually admitted to having an obsession with cannibalism and no one called you out on it. It's just congrats all around. What the actual fuck, GAF. This is easily one of the sickest things I've read on GAF but everyone is overlooking it because, yay, a baby was born? Forget the gross pics, people... he ate human flesh.

Karsticles is nothing if not objective and science based.

akira28

now the little kid has a Wendigo for a father.

You all may as well just start eating human flesh on the regular now.

I've heard of the mother eating it. I understand that I guess? Like, its your body kinda thing. But the idea of eating somebody else's body parts gives me the heeby geebies.

Not trying to be judgmental here or anything, I just don't think I could do it.

Probably. :) It's still early enough that's it's more interesting than annoying. The only thing that's off-limits are horror stories. Why people greet me with tales of tearing bits and near death stuff when I tell them I'm pregnant pisses me off. Do they think fear is helpful when I'm already scared? I already pass out just doing blood work as it is. My husband is starting to go into protect-bear mode when he hears about some of things people have told me. But anyway, you're like a go to already for good info on just about everything mom, and I think your birthing sit is really interesting. :)

P.S. I won't lie, I'm hoping for the trickle and not the water balloon.

Haha just remind me to stop if things get weird :p

And omg yes, all the time, people in waiting rooms were always 'Oh you know, blah blah blood blah blah death blah blah gore.'

I seriously told my husband "I have this feeling I am going to need a c-section because people just won't shut up about them."

Apparently they just DON'T SHUT UP ABOUT THEM and I was unlucky :p

Feel free to hit me up anytime, btw, night or day, I am ready with the experienced mom advice. Pro tip: You can never have enough receiving blankets. Trust me on that one. They become receiving/mopping up literally everything blankets real quick.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Wow. I really hope you plan on getting your kid involved in a ton of social activities outside the home. Otherwise, being homeschooled by you all, there's like 0 chance this kid isn't gonna grow up to be the weirdest dude on the planet.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Congrats! Beautiful baby.

Oddly preachy OP, though. You and your wife did what you felt was right for you, as do couples that choose to deliver in the hospital.

You also specifically mention the lack of meds in relation to your wife and baby being awake/alert, etc. My wife did have an epidural and other pain management medicine, and both she and my baby daughter were entirely awake and alert after delivery.

Pyrokai

Do you have a picture of the placenta? You know those things have great healing properties. You can do so much with them and it would be a total waste to simply throw it away.

Edit: Oh, I missed the Spoiler Pic. That is a perfect specimen of a placenta. You could get '$300 for that. It's full of life and uncontaminated by drugs.

I seriously can't tell if posts like this are serious or sarcastic.

This thread is scarring me a little bit.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Congrats on the successful delivery.

General comment about spoiler tagging images - people should just put them as plain links instead (omit the IMG tag). It's just as effective for desktop users and avoids the potentially unwanted image for mobile users.

Reading up on hospital births cost in the US, I'm surprised more people aren't opting for home birth!
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/09/opinion/declercq-childbirth-costs/
psyduck.gif

Wouldn't be surprised if doctors got bonuses for doing more C-sections.
My wife is a licensed veterinary nurse, and I know from her experiences that veterinarians get kickbacks on how much they upsell at some places. :-( I wish all businesses would completely do away with these things.

My daughter's life flight ride alone cost 20,000 dollars. Luckly, March of Dimes ponied up for that.
That is great to hear! I know the cost of the child was a major concern of ours. Especially since I had to find us a new home over the summer to fit all three of us comfortably.

Wow grats! Don't forget vaccinations :)
We won't!

The what?

Please list them.

I listed them in the OP. If you're really curious, and not just being contrary, I recommend reading a book on the subject.

Grats!

Spartan Elder Test?

Where did you get the idea that it was based on hand clamping?
Great question...it was either from a professor of ancient Greek philosophy I had in college, or from Gates of Fire:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553580531/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Probably the same place he thought being compressed by a vagina is the only way you can bond to your parent, ignoring the fact that kids can bond to their dad and bond to adoptive parents...
You can look up "hormone cocktail" on Google and find a lot - there are also bacterial benefits gained through vaginal birth. Unfortunately, these things are not well-researched by the medical community. But a lack of research is not a lack of evidence, unless you are one of those weird people that needs science to confirm anything before you believe in it.

His statement was hyperbole, obviously, but the basis of it isn't. Is there any evidence that a vaginal birth vs. c-section helps a baby imprint at a higher rate?
There are actually a ton of studies showing various negative consequences - some guaranteed, some merely probability - of c-section births.
http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20130211/c-section-formula-may-disrupt-good-gut-bacteria-in-babies
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090629081443.htm

Recent research has shown that having a c-section correlates with difficulty breastfeeding, which is as close to an objective "imprint" marker as you can get without neurological data:
http://www.bestforbabes.org/science...h-breastfeeding-problems-say-two-new-studies/

I know my own sister had a c-section, and she experienced immense post-partum depression, a complete disconnect from her infant for a week, and gave up breast feeding attempts after a day. I know most of GAF will say "that's just an anecdote", but in an industry (ew, an industry) with so much money involved, and so little research occurring about what's good for babies (which is insane, when you think about it), I value anecdotes quite a bit, especially from people close to me. Good hospitals recognize the vast research showing the potential harm of c-section delivery, and attempt to minimize it.

Less than 10% of hospitals in the USA are certified as "baby-friendly" by the World Health Organization:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a86998-34c4-11e4-a723-fa3895a25d02_story.html

Many hospitals really do try to force c-sections:
http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2015/07/differences-hospital-quality-childbirth

It's really hard to measure imprinting, however. To quote one site about epidurals:
https://www.birthinternational.com/articles/birth/15-epidurals-real-risks-for-mother-and-baby-

"Several studies have found subtle but definite changes in the behaviour of newborn babies after epidural36 37 38 with one study showing that behavioural abnormalities persisted for at least six weeks39. Other studies have shown that, after an epidural, mothers spent less time with their newborn babies40, and described their babies at one month as more difficult to care for41."

Would need more studies and a higher sample size. I'd like to read the scientific journal but it appears you have to pay for it. It would be good to know how they are explaining the brain activity, how much higher or deeper the activity is, and if it is even necessary.
It's incredibly difficult to measure these things. However, I believe that the most important things in life are either difficult to measure, or impossible to measure. Perhaps as science advances, we will develop a full systematic map of the human brain and a process for completely monitoring chemical releases, but it's not here right now. I would love for that to be the case, though.

It's not exactly a crazy concept, the gist of it is that the pain of childbirth signals the brain to release oxytocin in large quantities, which plays a big role in mother-child bonding. It's also released during breastfeeding. As far as being necessary, that kids are born via c-section and develop fine would point to 'no', wouldn't it.
Not just oxytocin!
http://www.desertsagedoula.com/doula-blog/36-the-hormonal-cocktail-of-birth

A natural, vaginal birth is definitely not "necessary", but I do think it is the best option for those that are able to swing it. For those that aren't, I would hope they never feel dismayed by their situation.

There are no spoiler tags on mobile so congrats you and omg the pics

I have to agree with those who said your account comes off as evangelical. You downplay the safety a hospital provides in case of unexpected trouble and make claims as fact when they aren't.
If your midwife is skilled and experienced, there is rarely "unexpected trouble". Many people talk about the umbilical cord being wrapped around the head, but our midwife told me that in 70% of her deliveries, the cord is wrapped around the head. She has never had a problem unraveling it and moving on.

I really do adore contentful posts like yours that make a vague claim like I'm not being factual, but don't even take the time to ask what isn't a fact, and don't provide any counter-points.

Congrats on the baby. We had ours in the hospital but the whole process from arriving to the hospital, to the baby being outside breathing took just 30 minutes so we were quite lucky, haha! I couldn't get myself to cut the umbilical cord though, as I'm kinda weak for that stuff and I was already tired enough (it was late at night).

No epidural nor any sort of medicine either, as in Japan it seems like they like going natural whenever possible. The mom spent 5 days at the hospital recovering and getting assistance from the nurses 24/7 and awesome food (not your typical hospital food, but some pretty tasty-looking stuff) after that back home so it was great. I wonder how it works in the US and other countries though...

Edit: I regret clicking on that last pic though :(
Oh man, I thought the umbilical cord would be tough for me. I'm a bit squeamish myself (at least compared to my wife - she has seen so many dead, cut-apart animals that she's desensitized to this stuff). I found it pretty easy to cut, but I was terrified of making the actual cuts. Scissors right next to my newborn baby, and he was swinging his arms around wildly - aaaahhhhh!

In the USA, most hospitals are fond of drugging you up and cutting the baby out ASAP to maximize their income. We truly are the nation that worships money above all else. There's actually a documentary on this called "The Business of Being Born", if you are curious. It's very US-focused in its research.

Where do you get off telling him he was stupid? If they still ran the batter of neonatal tests and care up until birth with everything looking fine, and they had a licensed midwife present (which they did) its perfectly fine.

Homebirths as less stressful for the mother which does in fact result in less pain. A compromise for people who don't want homebirth and who don't want the clinical nature of traditional hospital births can opt for an in-hospital water birth with the stipulation of no painkillers and no labor inducers (long labor is required to prevent vaginal tearing) and not to take the child away before breastfeeding the first time.
Yeah, some of the stuff I'm saying is just logical. What's more comfortable: your home, or a hospital bed? I think the main reason people feel they need a hospital is that we are a civilization now largely ignorant of a natural, biological process. As such, we appeal to experts to tell us how it needs to be done.

This thread has been.... interesting. And quite informative. Congrats, Karst!

My family joked with my brother and his wife about eating the placenta (at Christmas dinner smh), but I don't know if they ended up doing it. They had the baby back in March.
Let me know if they did it, and how!

Just to make sure we are 100% clear, are you saying you are going to eat the placenta?
Done.

Congrats! Three home births here and it is totally the way to go (for low risk, healthy births).

Now you need to do one unassisted. Our second was accidentally unassisted. Labour was only a couple hours and the baby showed up before the midwife.

I caught my daughter as she shot right out. The worst part was having to cut the cord. Grossest thing ever.
Unassisted? Whew, that terrifies me. I don't know if I could handle that stress. Maybe if my non-home life was more relaxed, I could handle it. Working full-time and being a full-time student makes it difficult for me to handle much more, unfortunately.

What made cutting the cord so gross for you? Did you clamp it beforehand?

I dunno. He's leery of vaccinations, wants to home school, is for unspecified reasons worried about technology, and is making placenta into jerky and pills -- I'm comfortable with my initial assessment. I'm not going to pretend that I support people willfully turning away proper medical care just because they've got some hangup about the "clinical" nature of a hospital. To each their own, but I'm not going to pretend like I respect the decision.

Even presuming you have amazing odds for the world's easiest delivery, is it really worth risking your child's life on the off chance something goes wrong? A midwife is better than nothing, but it still doesn't compare to the staff and technology available at a hospital. A 10 second Google search can quickly reveal:

In 2014, a comprehensive review in the Journal of Medical Ethics of 12 previously published studies encompassing 500,000 planned home births in low-risk women found that perinatal mortality rates for home births were triple that of hospital births.

Justify it however you like, but I wouldn't be comfortable rolling the dice like that with someone's life. They were -- kudos to them that everything went okay.
Sometimes, you have to risk a life to ensure it has the highest quality of life. That's a risk I was willing to take.

Let's assume that mortality rates in home births are triple hospital births. According to one site, hospital birth mortality is ~0.1%. So we're talking about ~0.3% mortality rates - is that really a sufficiently large concern? If it were a jump from 10% to 30%, I'd totally agree with you, but a fraction of a percent to a fraction of a percent is a negligible risk growth.

Also, I am not big on hospital-wide or homebirth-wide statistics. Every hospital is different. As I believe I mentioned previously, the hospital near us (Memoral Hospital Central) is among the 10% of baby-friendly hospitals in the USA. If we had to go there, I feel we would be in good hands. Just as hospitals vary in quality, midwives do as well. Our own midwife has never had a mortality, and she has been doing this for decades. Given that the important statistic here is the success rate of our midwife, and not planned home births throughout the planet, I don't view it as an increased risk. Even if we were comparing flat statistics, a planned home birth is not necessarily a midwife-guided birth. You're going to get all kinds of people like Christian Scientists mixed in there, who don't believe in any medicine at all. That's not really a fair grouping for comparison's sake.

Leery of vaccinations? I was really specific about this. I was oversensitive to vaccinations and contracted a disease with a 30% mortality rate as a result when I was an infant. The sensitivity to this disease has genetic markers that my son might share. You bet your ass I'm going to be conservative with administering vaccinations. I would be an idiot not to. I have a STEM degree - I'm not anti-science.

I'm also a teacher; I am comfortable home-schooling my son. My wife and I have almost 6 college degrees between us. We are more than able to give him an educationally rich environment that will also be emotionally nourishing. I doubt any school could provide the same (especially in Colorado, where only 77% of the population finishes high school).

Yeah, not gonna watch that, sorry. BUT: Wanted to ask how lil Roman is doing?

He chilling?
He's great! Very chill baby. He gets fussy when he has trouble latching, and when we change him. He really likes me rubbing his head, holding his hands, and saying his name in my baritone voice. Thank you for asking - amid all the posts, I think you're the only person to ask how the baby is doing. :)

I don't see anything wrong with this. If anything its fascinating. I had no idea you could turn a placenta into pills, I'm curious what exactly the benefits of consuming it are since I have no idea.

Congrats on the successful home birth, OP :)
I also have no idea of what the benefits are. There might be no benefits. There hasn't ever been a scientific study on it, despite placenta consumption being widely practiced in many areas of the world. Isn't that wild?

Here's what the anecdotal claim is:
http://www.webmd.com/baby/should-i-eat-my-placenta

"People who support eating the placenta say that it can raise your energy and breast milk quantity. They also say it can level off your hormones, lowering your chances of postpartum depression and insomnia."

We got the pills today - we'll see how they affect her. She is supposed to take 9 placenta pills a day for the next 3 days, and then lower it to 6.

Congrats on the baby.

Is this a form of cannibalism?
I consider it one.

Karsticles, watch Dumplings. Great horror film, you'd love it especially after that video in the OP.

dumplings.jpg
Will do, but I won't be able to watch anything scary for a long time, I think. :-/

Congrats I guess, but how about a fucking warning about the pics next time.
You act like I posted a picture of a spider, or something.

Haha, my wife and I got a good laugh out of this. Thank you.

I LOVE this movie. Going to watch it tonight while working on lesson plans.

Home births seem a nice experience though I have to say; though an experience that would likely have killed my wife and son.
Thanks for the character profile. :)

Fuck this, my wife and I are going to the hospital. And that placenta happy meal... Nah.

Glad everything went well for you though, and I'm confident that if your plane was to ever crash in the Andes you would survive, the other passengers on the other hand...
The question is: how do I convince everyone they will be safe while picking them off one-by-one?

If you are going to a hospital, I recommend you do research about how baby-friendly it is. Some hospitals really are nightmares, and others are wonderful. :)

Congratulations!

My wife attempted a home birth for our first. Ended up with a c- section four days later. Thankful for modern medicine in our case.
I am glad everything went well for you!

<3

A friend of mine had one unintentionally. Third kid and they were all packed up and ready to leave at a moment's notice. They were watching some Netflix in bed, getting ready for sleep when boom. Apparently she either had very weak contractions compared to normal or just waited too long.

She never left the bed, it happened so fast. Thankfully my friend is a trained police officer and first aid type. He delivered his own kid within 15 fucking minutes.

Two nurses came from the local hospital an hour later and checked the baby out, weighed it, etc, checked out mom. Things were cool.

I was still shocked they didn't bring them to the hospital immediately afterwards - like you legally have to be in the hospital after giving birth, no matter where, but I guess as long as mom and baby are good, it's like "move along, nothing to see here".
All I can say is: woah.

What country do you live in? I've never heard a claim that you "legally have to be in the hospital after giving birth". That's definitely not the case in the USA. We won't go to a pediatrician until later next week, most likely.

Woah. I have never gone over the character limit in a normal post.

Haha. It IS front and center, but it's a normal part of life, so why shy away from it? Unless you were just having a nice big bowl of bolognese... :D

I think part of it is that many women really do have awful labor experiences. In one of the articles I linked above, women who had epidurals looked back on their experience less fondly than women that did not, even though they experienced less pain overall. The thing about birthing is that it's all so complicated. How can we even hope to measure the effect of one decision on an infant 20 years later in its life? It seems unlikely that this is even possible for the next several hundred years. However, from reading a great deal of philosophy, anthropology, and modern research, there are things I have come to believe to be true because I have found them within myself and the world around me. One day, scientists may catch up to me, but I don't feel like I need them to justify what I know. Back in college, I would not have had such confidence.

Thanks, yo~ Just got past the 'safety' mark a bit ago and heading into the halfway zone now. I'm very keen to hear all the options for the end part, so it's nice to have such a thorough account of the home birthing process. I'm not sure I'd be as brave as you and your wife, but very cool to read, regardless, especially since you did so much research on it.
If you are interested, read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Read a lot of other books, too, of course! It's hard to find the time to read, though, and I am sure everyone is already telling you what to do.

Congratulations on making it past the "safety" mark. I know my wife was terrified of an early miscarriage. We think she actually may have had a miscarriage early on last year that we didn't even know about. During the summer of last year, she began lactating in both breasts. We've been together for 12 years, and this has never happened. We went to a doctor that was a complete idiot and said it was probably breast cancer (in both breasts simultaneously at the age of 29, really?). She wouldn't even explore other options until we got an ultrasound. So we got the ultrasound so we could get other tests done. Even at the lab, the head radiologist said her diagnosis was moronic, to which I said "Thank you! Why is this so obvious to me, and I'm not even an M.D.?!"

The results, of course, we negative. So guess what? The doctor said, "Well, I want to be sure - I want you to go back and get a full mammogram done on both breasts." My wife told her that it didn't seem reasonable at this point, and the doctor told us to seek service elsewhere. I wish I were making this up, but it really was that bad. My wife broke down crying hysterically because she couldn't even find a doctor to take her spontaneous lactation seriously as a health issue. At least now we know her lactation has a logical reason behind it, haha. :p

As for the placenta eating, it seems to be at least not uncommon now. A pair of twins I worked with back in day did the same, but ah, a bit more direct than the pills you guys are doing. They
cooked and made a meat sauce for spaghetti out of it.
At the time I'd never heard of such a thing, but you're the 3rd person in the last two years to go that route, so maybe it's coming back. Haha. Think I might just donate my own for research or whatnot when the time comes, though. :)

Anyway, congrats again, and I look forward to more updates if you post them.
I'll post an update in a week or so to let you know how the placenta pills go. I have no idea if they'll even do anything...

Karsticles is nothing if not objective and science based.
I am highly empirical, but my own personal empirical account outweighs anything else on my scales of personal judgment. I would actually say that my valuations go like this:

Highest value: personal empirical account, analyzed by reason.
Second-highest value: unanalyzed personal empirical account.
Third-highest value: impersonal empirical account, analyzed by reason.
Fourth-highest value: impersonal empirical account, unanalyzed.

I'm not the easiest person to get along with, I admit.

Congrats Karst.
Thank you!

now the little kid has a Wendigo for a father.

You all may as well just start eating human flesh on the regular now.
Do you know how to get some? ;-D

I've heard of the mother eating it. I understand that I guess? Like, its your body kinda thing. But the idea of eating somebody else's body parts gives me the heeby geebies.

Not trying to be judgmental here or anything, I just don't think I could do it.
It's all good! I've always wanted to try it, but you know what? It's not quite as fulfilling as I imagined. I didn't know it would be so crunchy and hard. I thought it would be more jerky-like.

Congrats! Now excuse me while I vomit uncontrollably from your pictures and video.
Don't make a mess!

giphy.gif

I don't know what I expected when I came into this thread, but it certainly wasn't to sit and watch a guy eat a placenta!!!!

Congrats on the birth though.
Thank you!

Haha just remind me to stop if things get weird :p

And omg yes, all the time, people in waiting rooms were always 'Oh you know, blah blah blood blah blah death blah blah gore.'

I seriously told my husband "I have this feeling I am going to need a c-section because people just won't shut up about them."

Apparently they just DON'T SHUT UP ABOUT THEM and I was unlucky :p

Feel free to hit me up anytime, btw, night or day, I am ready with the experienced mom advice. Pro tip: You can never have enough receiving blankets. Trust me on that one. They become receiving/mopping up literally everything blankets real quick.
You know, there are so many social issues in the United States that no one talks about. Healthcare? Everywhere. Income? Can't find a politician that won't preach it on the podium. But there's nothing about the modern isolation felt by many women during their pregnancy, and their general fear of giving birth. I consider it a kind of modern social illness - women should be happy and confident, right? At least, I don't see any reason why a feeling of impending doom should be the norm.

Wow. I really hope you plan on getting your kid involved in a ton of social activities outside the home. Otherwise, being homeschooled by you all, there's like 0 chance this kid isn't gonna grow up to be the weirdest dude on the planet.
No worries, we're going to socialize him a lot!

Congrats! Beautiful baby.

Oddly preachy OP, though. You and your wife did what you felt was right for you, as do couples that choose to deliver in the hospital.

You also specifically mention the lack of meds in relation to your wife and baby being awake/alert, etc. My wife did have an epidural and other pain management medicine, and both she and my baby daughter were entirely awake and alert after delivery.
That's great! However, studies have shown that for many births, epidurals do affect the infant's alertness and reduce latch rates. It's fantastic that you weren't one of those cases, but it is a very real concern. I linked references to some of those studies earlier in my post, if you are interested.

Karsticles said:
Haha, my wife and I got a good laugh out of this. Thank you.

Do your kid a solid and never tell him. Please. I was a home birth as well and I would have been horrified to learn that my father ate the placenta. I was told he used my older sister's placenta as fertilizer for a freshly planted rose bush (probably my mother's idea) and just that alone was enough to creep me the hell out. I'm fairly sure I would have never been able to look at my old man the same had I learned he had eaten human flesh.

Cronox

Banned
It seems you've successfully ensured your genetic material will live on, for the moment being. I'd like to make more of me too, I get where you're coming from.

Yeah, I am a teacher that doesn't trust teachers. A short story:

When I was a child, my mother read with me every night. As a result, I grew to love reading. I was the kid that devoured two novels a week, just reading for hours on end in my free time. In middle school, I had a teacher that made us do a "reading journal" every night for whatever we read. It turned reading into a chore to me, and I stopped doing it as a leisure activity. I effectively stopped reading for the next 10 years unless I had to.

I think school is often a horrific place where most students lose their love of learning. If you asked why I am a teacher, I would say it's because I cherish the relationships I build with my students. My classroom is also unlike any other classroom I am aware of, and my students excel in the environment I provide for them.

There are also issues of attention. In schools around here, 30 students to 1 teacher is not uncommon. My child is not going to learn fast in that environment, because the teacher has to slow down for everyone else. If my son is like me, he will be a fast learner, and be bored in class. I would rather have him learn at home (my wife and I have degrees in veterinary nursing, anthropology, political science, philosophy, chemistry, and - soon - education between us). This would:
1) Give him an innate love of learning (whatever you do with Mom, you love).
2) Let him work at a quick pace.
3) Allow us to give him individualized instruction.
4) Teach him to be an independent and motivated learner.

Also, it will help keep him away from the drug problems around here - with marijuana legalized in Colorado, a huge portion of the student population gets high. Without going on too much of a tangent, I don't think it's good for developing minds (at the very least).

I get that the environment of a typical school can often encourage surface-level knowledge, discourage curiosity and make fun things less fun by making tasks out of them... but all that said, there are ways to control for this. There may be a Montessori school nearby, for example. I don't doubt that home schooling can be done right, but anecdotally, I find home schooled people to be easy to spot due to their lack of social skills and street smarts. School isn't just about going through classes, it's also about playing with other kids. If you're committed to going the home school route I hope you have some plans for giving the baby some socialization. Day care, preschool, after-school activities... whatever. College can be really rough for home schooled types due to having to deal with a kind of immersion they never had before. There's also something to be said about the power of indoctrination home schooling provides parents... given what I've gleaned of your views I don't think you'll aim to bring the kid up in a bubble, but there is the danger of only hearing one side of a given argument.

It doesn't seem like weed is a problem after 18 or so, but yeah it seems a poor idea to consume during adolescence from what I've read. There'll be plenty of time to get high in college anyway.

Do you plan on more than 1 kid?

My students are moving all throughout class. My school uses something called "360 Math"; here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvsC8NrfIAY

I don't think the United States really takes people seriously on a mass level. The thinker John Dewey wrote Democracy and Education, a book arguing that our classrooms should be fundamentally democratic to teach our children democratic values (right now, we teach them to behave like subjects under a monarchy):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_and_Education

This will give you an idea of how the text was typically received:
http://humanevents.com/2005/05/31/ten-most-harmful-books-of-the-19th-and-20th-centuries/

Maybe the list is right, but it isn't like our country had a real dialogue about the text, either. It just made people uncomfortable, and they went back to the assembly line education system we have today.

The standardized testing situation is a real concern. Last year, my students lost 8 whole days to different standardized state tests. Some schools lost weeks - yikes.

Good that they have to get up and move, part of what lets kids zone out is just sitting at a desk for hours.

The paragraph for Dewey's book in that link was pretty laughable, I felt like the writer was saluting a flag as he typed it. The idea that what we have now is even close to the way it should be is kind of crazy. At best, we can say that the current system seems to be the best we've managed so far, but that's damning by faint praise...

On the placenta eating- looking at the blackened piece of placenta in that video, I gotta say the baby looks tastier.

Hanmik

Me and my wife have three kids (girls) together. The first two were born at the hospital, but the last one (who just turned 5) was born at home in our bed.
My wife hates the hospital.. so when we had the first 2 kids, we actually left the hospital 5 hours after the girls were born.
So we decided to have a normal homebirth with the last one (no water or anything like that).. two midwives came to our place when my wife was felt ready. I made them coffee and bread, we talked and I showed them pictures from our wedding. The my wife´s water broke (in one of the kids bedrooms).. I cleaned it up, and then 10 minutes later our daughter was born.. in our bed.

The best childbirth we ever had. The neighbour actually came over to drop of some stuff she had borrowed, that was like 20 minutes after the baby was born, she was shocked when she saw the baby, she thought it was a joke, and that it was a doll in the beginning. lol

Do your kid a solid and never tell him. Please. I was a home birth as well and I would have been horrified to learn that my father ate the placenta. I was told he used my older sister's placenta as fertilizer for a freshly planted rose bush (probably my mother's idea) and just that alone was enough to creep me the hell out. I'm fairly sure I would have never been able to look at my old man the same had I learned he had eaten human flesh.
Maybe you're just a scaredy cat. ;-) If my father told me he ate the placenta, I'd just say "cool".

It seems you've successfully ensured your genetic material will live on, for the moment being. I'd like to make more of me too, I get where you're coming from.
Yes! Success!

I get that the environment of a typical school can often encourage surface-level knowledge, discourage curiosity and make fun things less fun by making tasks out of them... but all that said, there are ways to control for this. There may be a Montessori school nearby, for example. I don't doubt that home schooling can be done right, but anecdotally, I find home schooled people to be easy to spot due to their lack of social skills and street smarts. School isn't just about going through classes, it's also about playing with other kids. If you're committed to going the home school route I hope you have some plans for giving the baby some socialization. Day care, preschool, after-school activities... whatever. College can be really rough for home schooled types due to having to deal with a kind of immersion they never had before. There's also something to be said about the power of indoctrination home schooling provides parents... given what I've gleaned of your views I don't think you'll aim to bring the kid up in a bubble, but there is the danger of only hearing one side of a given argument.
I'm the master of giving various sides of arguments - it's part of my philosophy training.

Fuck Montessori schools, IMO...children need highly structured environments. Every Montessori student I get is so far behind in math. :-(

We won't homeschool past middle school. We'll take it as it goes, though. I actually know a ton of homeschooled students where I work - we're a magnet for them. I am completely aware of the effects a lack of socialization can have. We're going to do our best to swim upstream on that one. That said, a homeschooled student is also the best student I have ever had. She has such incredible character and intelligence that she tested out of a full year of math classes after working with me. She's very well socialized, too, but tends not to care for socializing with a lot of her peers since she's so much more mature than them. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing - she gets along well with all of the teachers because she thinks more like an adult than the adolescents around her. If Roman can turn out like her, I'll be very pleased.

Edit: oh yeah, and Colorado Springs is like a homeschool mecca. TONS of resources here.

It doesn't seem like weed is a problem after 18 or so, but yeah it seems a poor idea to consume during adolescence from what I've read. There'll be plenty of time to get high in college anyway.
I've never been high. I hope my son follows in those steps, and I suspect he will.

I've seen marijuana become addictive and ruin minds. I don't believe it isn't harmful - we'll reap what we sow, though.

Do you plan on more than 1 kid?
Ask my wife, if you catch my drift. ;-)

Good that they have to get up and move, part of what lets kids zone out is just sitting at a desk for hours.
Yeah, I hate being a student.

The paragraph for Dewey's book in that link was pretty laughable, I felt like the writer was saluting a flag as he typed it. The idea that what we have now is even close to the way it should be is kind of crazy. At best, we can say that the current system seems to be the best we've managed so far, but that's damning by faint praise...
Some people just hate democracy, haha.

On the placenta eating- looking at the blackened piece of placenta in that video, I gotta say the baby looks tastier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb20VpWGocw

Me and my wife have three kids (girls) together. The first two were born at the hospital, but the last one (who just turned 5) was born at home in our bed.
My wife hates the hospital.. so when we had the first 2 kids, we actually left the hospital 5 hours after the girls were born.
So we decided to have a normal homebirth with the last one (no water or anything like that).. two midwives came to our place when my wife was felt ready. I made them coffee and bread, we talked and I showed them pictures from our wedding. The my wife´s water broke (in one of the kids bedrooms).. I cleaned it up, and then 10 minutes later our daughter was born.. in our bed.

The best childbirth we ever had. The neighbour actually came over to drop of some stuff she had borrowed, that was like 20 minutes after the baby was born, she was shocked when she saw the baby, she thought it was a joke, and that it was a doll in the beginning. lol
Haha! I don't know if I could handle such a casual affair. Maybe it'll be easier on subsequent tries, though.

WriterGK

Congrats Karst!! I read the whole 2/3 first pages but after that I just scanned the post, else it would took me so long to post here.
Good that you had such a great midwife, that must be nice. And of course she meeting with your wife every other week is awesome. Both me and my younger brother have been C sectioned at birth. But I think it took my mother 18 hours of laboring before I was cut out with a C section so it was really exhausting for my mother.
As to the home schooling, I don't have any objections to that at all, what so ever.

I want to reccomend to you and others in this thread to try and watch (download if you must) the documentary http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3215346/

Its called Alphabet and it the main thing that it states out that the education system in the whole world kills children there creativity and there imagination. And that there is nothing wrong with Home schooling. They go to Germany, USA and even China and point out that the Educational system is far too mechanic and factory like. Kids nowadays starting from 4-5 years old are overthrown with tests and its insane. Even John Oliver has an episode about the educational tests for youn children in the USA. It's competely ridiciously and they get test questions about talking pineapple's...
I wish you , Roman and your wife all the luck in the world. You probably be a great father.

And the most fantastic thing about that movie Alphabet is that they show a Spanish actor who has Down Syndrome and despite society and his teachers believes he got a University degree in one of the top University's in Spain. Everyone said you don't belong here to him all his life.
He is called Pablo Pineda and even starts in the fictional movie Yo, Tambien :)

E92 M3

Placentas are a beautiful organ that keep the baby alive and growing. Nothing disgusting about it.

Wish you the best op.

Nothing disgusting about it.

200w.gif

I can respect the guy's choices, but nothing but disgust enters into my brain when I see a human being eating a placenta. I could barely stomach watching my cat do it.

Having said that, I harbor no ill feelings towards the OP. It's just the act itself that I find unpleasant.

E92 M3

200w.gif

I can respect the guy's choices, but nothing but disgust enters into my brain when I see a human being eating a placenta. I could barely stomach watching my cat do it.

Having said that, I harbor no ill feelings towards the OP. It's just the act itself that I find unpleasant.

I was talking about people being revolted by the picture, not actual placentography.

Oppo

congrats OP. to you and the wife and little one.

I am utterly baffled as someone who decided not to have kids, by the insistence of new parents to want to gross everyone out completely. but congrats. ;)

E92 M3 said:
not actual placentography.
is this even a word/thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom