• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, I am a Father: A Homebirth Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Maybe you're just a scaredy cat. ;-) If my father told me he ate the placenta, I'd just say "cool".

Yes! Success!

I'm the master of giving various sides of arguments - it's part of my philosophy training.

Fuck Montessori schools, IMO...children need highly structured environments. Every Montessori student I get is so far behind in math. :-(

We won't homeschool past middle school. We'll take it as it goes, though. I actually know a ton of homeschooled students where I work - we're a magnet for them. I am completely aware of the effects a lack of socialization can have. We're going to do our best to swim upstream on that one. That said, a homeschooled student is also the best student I have ever had. She has such incredible character and intelligence that she tested out of a full year of math classes after working with me. She's very well socialized, too, but tends not to care for socializing with a lot of her peers since she's so much more mature than them. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing - she gets along well with all of the teachers because she thinks more like an adult than the adolescents around her. If Roman can turn out like her, I'll be very pleased.

Edit: oh yeah, and Colorado Springs is like a homeschool mecca. TONS of resources here.

I've never been high. I hope my son follows in those steps, and I suspect he will.

I've seen marijuana become addictive and ruin minds. I don't believe it isn't harmful - we'll reap what we sow, though.

Ask my wife, if you catch my drift. ;-)

Yeah, I hate being a student.

Some people just hate democracy, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb20VpWGocw

Haha! I don't know if I could handle such a casual affair. Maybe it'll be easier on subsequent tries, though.

The thing with traditional schools is that kids are stuck with peer groups. So that's where the maturity level tops off.

No where in civilization before the advent of mass schooling were children exclusively segregated to peer groups only like we do today en masse.

It's also why bullying is so problematic.

Smokey

Honest question ; what is wrong with you? Why on earth would you or anyone want to eat a placenta? What century is this?

You actually admitted to having an obsession with cannibalism and no one called you out on it. It's just congrats all around. What the actual fuck, GAF. This is easily one of the sickest things I've read on GAF but everyone is overlooking it because, yay, a baby was born? Forget the gross pics, people... he ate human flesh.

Yeah, sorry. No congrats here, cannibal.

Yeah this is suspect af

Ugh

Boney

Banned
Congratulations to you and your wife!

It's gonna be some tiring months but I'm sure you'll be on top of everything and be a rad dad

Congrats Karst!! I read the whole 2/3 first pages but after that I just scanned the post, else it would took me so long to post here.
Good that you had such a great midwife, that must be nice. And of course she meeting with your wife every other week is awesome. Both me and my younger brother have been C sectioned at birth. But I think it took my mother 18 hours of laboring before I was cut out with a C section so it was really exhausting for my mother.
As to the home schooling, I don't have any objections to that at all, what so ever.

I want to reccomend to you and others in this thread to try and watch (download if you must) the documentary http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3215346/

Its called Alphabet and it the main thing that it states out that the education system in the whole world kills children there creativity and there imagination. And that there is nothing wrong with Home schooling. They go to Germany, USA and even China and point out that the Educational system is far too mechanic and factory like. Kids nowadays starting from 4-5 years old are overthrown with tests and its insane. Even John Oliver has an episode about the educational tests for youn children in the USA. It's competely ridiciously and they get test questions about talking pineapple's...
I wish you , Roman and your wife all the luck in the world. You probably be a great father.

And the most fantastic thing about that movie Alphabet is that they show a Spanish actor who has Down Syndrome and despite society and his teachers believes he got a University degree in one of the top University's in Spain. Everyone said you don't belong here to him all his life.
He is called Pablo Pineda and even starts in the fictional movie Yo, Tambien :)
Thanks! I will put it on my watch list.

Congratulations to you and your wife!

It's gonna be some tiring months but I'm sure you'll be on top of everything and be a rad dad
Thanks Boney!

We thought of doing home birth. Glad we didn't. My wife would have died.
Blessings to you.

The thing with traditional schools is that kids are stuck with peer groups. So that's where the maturity level tops off.

No where in civilization before the advent of mass schooling were children exclusively segregated to peer groups only like we do today en masse.

It's also why bullying is so problematic.
Do you have thoughts on solutions? It sounds like you have thought about it a bit. I just ran into this with a new student this semester, actually. Too insulated in the previous school environment.

Congratulations Karsticles! My wife and I also had a home birth 5 years ago. My wife actually tore her cervix (very rare, not the usual perineal tear that you hear about) during delivery. We jetted over to the hospital to get her stitched up. Baby was and is fine.

Discouraging to see so many people hating on home births. Haters gonna hate, as they say. Just ignore them.

bigsnack

Congrats!!! My wife and I had our first born at home as well, and it was great. We're definitely planning to go that route with the second one as well.

Glad it went well but you seem like you are heading to being one of those unbearable preachy parents that criticise and look down on any that don't breastfeed / baby carry etc, after one day that's pretty impressive going.

Also the placenta thing is mad weird to me. I get that it's an old tradition but when you combine it with the fact you say you have an obsession with canibalism it takes an extremely creepy turn IMO.

Home births seem a nice experience though I have to say; though an experience that would likely have killed my wife and son.
All we're saying is I wouldn't want to be marooned on an island with Karsticles. He's already had a taste of delicious, delicious human meat...

dzdpffc.jpg
damn it beaten lol

Burger

My son was born in a hospital, delivered by c-section.

It was not cold, horrible, unnatural or any of those things. It was wonderful and amazing and every single person from midwifes, surgeons, paediatricians, anaesthesiologists, etc were all wonderful, supportive and amazing people.

The only reason c-section was chosen was that he was 2 weeks late and induction wasn't working. Sure it was nervewracking, but I was in the hands of complete professionals which was comforting. Friends of ours had a homebirth a month or so before us and their wee boy and ours are both healthy, lovely little people.

Best of all, since we live in the UK the total cost to us was zero. The home visits by the midwives afterwards also cost zero. The visits by the breastfeeding experts were also zero. The vaccinations cost zero. The checkups by our GP cost zero.

Congratulations on your boy, it's the best thing in the world being a Dad. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Cronox

Banned
Fair warning, some of this post sounds a bit preachy. I'm not meaning to preach, it just reads that way. I don't mean to tell you what to do, just offering another side.

I'm the master of giving various sides of arguments - it's part of my philosophy training.

Fuck Montessori schools, IMO...children need highly structured environments. Every Montessori student I get is so far behind in math. :-(

I only mentioned Montessori since you said something about letting kids have freedom of expression or something IIRC. The point was just that there are all sorts of alternative school styles around too. Some are pretty successful, but I suppose the ones I read about occasionally are usually individual schools, I can't say anything about Colorado.

We won't homeschool past middle school. We'll take it as it goes, though. I actually know a ton of homeschooled students where I work - we're a magnet for them. I am completely aware of the effects a lack of socialization can have. We're going to do our best to swim upstream on that one. That said, a homeschooled student is also the best student I have ever had. She has such incredible character and intelligence that she tested out of a full year of math classes after working with me. She's very well socialized, too, but tends not to care for socializing with a lot of her peers since she's so much more mature than them. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing - she gets along well with all of the teachers because she thinks more like an adult than the adolescents around her. If Roman can turn out like her, I'll be very pleased.

Edit: oh yeah, and Colorado Springs is like a homeschool mecca. TONS of resources here.

As long as you're aware of the downsides and have something in mind.

I'm a little wary of the kid who fits in more around adults than other kids. That kid is stuck in a "I'm the good kid" mentality and isn't allowing themselves to experience the range of emotions a kid experiences because they're too busy keeping up appearances. They don't get to be a kid until all the adults have left the room. I was that kid, and while my teachers liked me and my friends' parents pointed out my good behavior to their kids as if I was a role model, at the end of the day I was lonely and wanted more time to be around my kid friends. The world of adults is a world of isolation compared to the easy-going world of kids, where you can potentially make a friend as easily as an adult adds a box of tic-tacs to their cart at checkout. Adults can't be friends like someone your own age can when you're a kid. Cliche but, kids should be allowed to be kids. At least some of the time.

I've never been high. I hope my son follows in those steps, and I suspect he will.

I've seen marijuana become addictive and ruin minds. I don't believe it isn't harmful - we'll reap what we sow, though.

I feel like this is a little 90's of you... Perhaps your feelings are a bit polarized due to your experiences seeing others manage weed poorly. The new research on addiction is showing more and more of a psychological, not physical component. That people who become addicted are using that addiction to self-medicate for something they're missing. The old rat studies have been superseded. With some self control there's no reason not to try certain things - and coming from a healthy background there's no reason they should unbalance one's life. I say that as someone who didn't drink until 26 and didn't try weed until 28. It took me years to come around on both of them - eventually I realized there was no real danger in giving them a try. My sense of pride in having never tried them was becoming more and more meaningless. What was there to be proud of?

Personally, I don't care for drinking. I haven't found any alcohol that tastes good, and it takes way too much work to get drunk. I thought it would be better than it was... I was left going "this is it?" I don't really feel the need to lose my inhibitions, so there's no release for me there. But I had the experience, and found out what it's like for myself. I find being "buzzed" equivalent to having an inner ear problem (sense of balance and all that), but whatever. My experience trying weed was pretty cool actually. Everything was hilarious... I totally understand why stoner movies exist. I'm looking forward to having some more in the future, but more as an experiment in altering my state of consciousness than because I crave anything. It's a weird state to be in. Certainly not one I'd want to be in all the time. But I can see why people like it. It certainly rates better than being drunk, anyway. You live in a state where people are going a bit crazy with weed right now. Imagine if prohibition had to end with each individual state slowly legalizing alcohol... people are going to over-do it. But that's more about them and their mindsets than weed as a recreational drug. People over-do anything that's been denied to them when the floodgates open, whether it's by parents or by the government. The reason I didn't rush to try alcohol and weed in undergrad (and high school I suppose) was because I agreed with the reasoning I'd grown up hearing at the time. I still do - I like feeling in control of myself, and if I can't do something sober then I probably shouldn't do it when under the influence of something. But in the end I was denying myself an experience that was worth having at least once.

I don't "need" anything in the literal sense of the word, but let's not kid ourselves, in the US everyone is addicted to something. Whether it's caffeine, sugar, nicotine, alcohol, junk food or whatever, almost no one gets out without picking up at least one.

Ask my wife, if you catch my drift. ;-)

Please question her by asking her how many more bloodpools she's interested in. I asked because I was going to say something about the pros and cons of being an only child, but your answer indicates there may be more placentas in your future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom