• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, I am a Father: A Homebirth Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risible

Oh, a GAF post on home birth, that could be interesting.

1. Tub of blood.
  2. Placenta shot.
  3. Dad's gonna eat some placenta.
3536876-5081392435-idont.gif

Honestly, you'd want to be in a hospital if something went wrong, but if you've already got the okay from a doctor that everything is probably going to be normal, I don't see why home birthing should be seen as a bad thing, or even about shunning modern medicine (as in it can be, but doesn't have to be).

Linsies

Of course it's all up to you and your wife.....

But are we just gonna sit around and act like that story is okay? It's wacky as hell. I can't even think about the placenta eating part, it makes my stomach turn.

Still, congrats on the baby. Please take him for checkups and vaccines and stuff.

Well, I'm with you.

I had 3 children and had some complications during 2 of the 3. I am SO very happy I was at a hospital. I don't think I would have my daughter (my 1st born) and would probably not be alive for my 2nd son. Thankfully, through medication and oxygen, everything turned out very well.

My placentas were much more bloody/red and I donated them. I can't imagine eating myself (or someone else doing the same). I guess it just depends on what you are comfortable with. I went to the same hospital and had the same doctor for all three births. My husband, children, family and I were amazingly comfortable and taken care of. But I circumcised my boys so... I can't be trusted.

akira28

Home births are more common than you think. I'm surprised they aren't more common with how much hospitals charge in the US for a delivery.

lot of fear-based talk and of course the medical community is split over homebirths, with some saying it's not a big deal as long as you fully prepare and also get checkups to precaution for any complications. And then others saying that the potential risks are far too great, you can't prepare for every complication, and that you should come to their hospitals to be completely safe.

It's not like there aren't any conflicting interests in this, but the health industry has so many conflicting interests, it makes me wonder if midwifery might be a good alternative for change.

entremet

Middle class folks tend to have to pay a lot on out of pocket charges. My girlfriend and I have considered at home birth if it ever gets to that point. She's worked in labor and delivery and her preference is to have at at home birth based on everything she's seen.
Curious, what so bad about hospital births? Both your gf and the OP and wife seem to be hesitant of them.

People actually think the OP is a antivaxxer or something based on some of the replies.

While I agree it's unfair, it wouldn't be an entirely unfounded assumption - nothing makes a pediatrician's skin crawl like a "midwife" with an online degree from Something College of Natural Medicine poisoning a mother's mind about the safety and efficacy of vaccines. I'm not saying this describes the person the OP hired, but finding midwives associated with the anti-vaccine movement is not uncommon. Unfortunately, "professional" midwife means a lot of different things depending on which state you are on.

Also, people should be in general cautious about their rhetoric. Home birthing is a fine option for a low risk pregnancy, but there are also a lot of situations where we can't really assess high risk until it's too late. It's easy to find legitimate criticism with how hospital births in the US are managed, but at the same time there are plenty children and mothers who would be dead today without those "evil" c-sections and precautions in place. Let's not insult them by pretending they aren't "real mothers" for not doing things the natural way. Once again, I am not accusing the OP of doing this - just saying I've observed a lot of conversations about home-birthing that take a winding road that ultimately ends up using those kind of talking points. Advocacy is fine, but self-righteousness is obnoxious.

Josh5890

Congrats! The most important thing is that the baby is healthy and mom is ok! Good luck on being a father.

Say goodbye to gaming for six months

akira28

Curious, what so bad about hospital births? Both your gf and the OP and wife seem to be hesitant of them.

depends on the service. if you're poor, no health insurance, don't have your own obstetrician helping you through but just someone on duty to delivery the child, you have a really different experience than someone who has been seeing a doctor for 9 months and will be there to hand hold you through the process. A lot of women get the first one, where they go in, get cut, get handed a baby and a bill, an overnight stay for a day or 2 and then they're back home. And a lot of women didn't know where was any alternative to what they considered impersonal and cold medical procedure for bringing their child into the world.

FyreWulff

Honestly, you'd want to be in a hospital if something went wrong, but if you've already got the okay from a doctor that everything is probably going to be normal, I don't see why home birthing should be seen as a bad thing, or even about shunning modern medicine (as in it can be, but doesn't have to be).

OP posted about it in another thread. They're some new age shit about how they need to do it otherwise the baby won't "attach" to them. It's bs evopsych taken all the way down to the birth.

Glad it went well for the OP, but the reasoning is couched in as much reality as horoscopes.

Roman also passed the Spartan elder test (finger clamping), which made me happy. :) I checked it as soon as he left the vaginal canal.

kiddie pool full of blood and that's my limit for the night.

edit: congrats. I think..maybe you are viewing this with father-vision though. Thank god the plancenta picture didn't load. it's probably 10 Mbs jpeg and huge.
I think it's just over 1MB, IIRC.

Congrats!

No more Smash 4 for Karst :(
Now I have someone to train. :-O

Congrats on the baby! We had ours in a hospital, and would do so again - I find there to be too much risk with home-birthing in case of medical emergency. My ex-wife's second kid was born with spina bifida, and hydrocephaly, and don't want to imagine what would have happened had he been born at home.

What does encapsulating a placenta mean?
Encapsulation = turning into pills. Some people fry up the placenta, but that isn't what my wife wanted to do.

If your pregnancy is at-risk, then a hospital is the place to be. If you're not, there's really no danger. Our midwife has delivered >800 babies, and has never had a mortality. She has had to transport mothers to the hospital due to complications. Not everyone can have a home birth, but if you can have a home birth, it offers many advantages.

Very cool. Congrats, Karsticles! Really interesting to read, and I say keep the bath and placenta pictures in. They're part of the process and potential parents are going to see a lot more than that. As someone in the process now, I appreciate candid accounts and alternatives like this.
Wow, congratulations! I had no idea you were pregnant. I'm glad you appreciate the account - I just want to share my personal experience. Everyone is welcome to do as they like or prefer.

congrats karst. hopefully your son will have a new marvel game to play in the future.
Me too. Come back to FGW and post sometimes. :)

First off, what is encapsulation with the placenta? And are you seriously going to eat a piece or was that a joke?

I would have died if I chose home birth, so I'm glad I didn't. (Really weird birth defect gave me to two uterui and only one cervix, I had to deliver all three via c-section)
The process, as I understand it, is:
1) Dry the placenta in a jerky-like process.
2) Cut the placenta into strips.
3) Grind the placenta into small bits.
4) Place the bits into pill form for easy consuming.

I completely respect that cesarian sections are a necessary medical procedure, and save many infant lives. I am glad that your children turned out fine. :)

''the midwife is going to save a "jerky slice" for me to try.''

Does that mean you're gonna eat it...?
Yes. I have had an obsession with cannibalism for much of my life, and this is probably my only real chance to eat human flesh. I'll try a pill and a "jerky slice".

Fuck dude, dat pool D=

On the other hand, CONGRATS! You a daddy!!!!!
It's only like that because of the water. She bled a lot more in the bed, though.

Gratz man, can't imagine doing a homebirth, just glad to hear there was no complications.

Did you get to spend some skin on skin time with bubs or did you spend the rest of the day emptying and cleaning a bloody pool?
We didn't have to take care of the pool at all. The midwife brought a sub pump and pumped the blood down our toilet, and she packed the entire thing up. She was like a third team member throughout the entire thing. She also taught my wife how to breast feed, and will continue to act as a lactation consultant.

This. I'm glad your kids is healthy but you write a bunch of stuff up as fact when its just your opinion. Glad your kid is healthy.
Like what?

you seem pretty evangelical about home births.
I am! I am a big fan of modern science, but I also think that it has overextended itself in some ways.

You are going to get so much advice you'll start to hate it lol. (Btw, please warn me if I am starting to get to that weird place as well)

I wish I could like, share labor experience with you, but all I got is that the contractions weren't anywhere near as painful as I expected them to be. And I was at full dilation by the time they figured out something was wrong, so at least I got that full experience. I apparently slept through 90% of my labor, woke up with a bit of cramping like I really needed to go to the bathroom, got out of bed, walked two steps and my water broke. Like, busted everywhere.

For most people though when the water breaks it's just a trickle. My weird anatomy and the fact he was breach meant it alllllll came out at once lol.
I am extremely confident in my parenting beliefs. I plan on saying a lot of "Thank you for sharing that" to folks so they go away, haha. :p We also plan on home schooling him - I don't trust teachers.

Her water breaking didn't cause a big mess. The equivalent of wet panties, really. She was so tired by the time everything concluded that she was nodding off in-between contractions. Her contractions also woke her up - funny coincidence between you both!

We were prepared to go to a hospital if things went poorly. The hospital near us has a very pro-baby approach, so I wouldn't have been devastated if we had to go. The acknowledge the importance of the Golden Hour, and have charts showing successful latch rates and lowered C-section rates throughout the last year. I think a hospital that is proud of those accomplishments is a good place to be, if that's where you have to be.

You were very stupid in opting to have a homebirth. I'm glad it went fine, but you put the child's life at risk, should anything have gone wrong. You got a midwife which is better than nothing, but it's still no substitute for an actual medical facility with onsite equipment and staff prepared for any possible situation.

Patton Oswalt - Home Births

"If one more of my Whole Foods friends tells me that I have to have a home birth I am going to punch all the soy on the planet."
It's unlikely that if our midwife has done 800+ successful deliveries, that we will be the first death. She knows what she is doing. Thanks for calling me stupid and posting a random Youtube video that I won't watch, though. I appreciate it.

I kind of dig that, and kind of don't. Birth isn't a medical procedure, it's true. And these days too many hospitals are charging for a quickie C-section when mothers could have natural births. In a lot of areas if has become a class thing, where impovrished mothers almost exclusively have their babies cut out of their wombs in a quick procedure and wealthier mothers have natural births with all the waiting an extra care that goes with it.

So now there is a movement lead by midwives and homebirthers to bring the focus back on the event between mother and child instead of doctor and patient.
If you go back farther, it was even worse. In the early 1900s, women were so drugged up that they lost consciousness. My grandmother was strapped down to a bed like a mental patient. This is discussed a lot in Father-Coached Childbirth (not a fantastic book, in my opinion, but I read it...).

I was reading that natural birth---not necessarily home birth---allow the child to obtain beneficial bacteria from the birth canal and yes even some fecal bacteria from the mother.

Those beneficial bugs are important and babies delivered via C-section do not get that "bathing" of beneficial bacteria.

It's really new research:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3110651/
Yes, I am aware of this. Natural birth also leads to higher breast latch rates, lowers chances of post-partum depression, and increased parental bonding (your body releases specific "falling in love" chemicals while pushing the baby through the vaginal canal - these don't release if you have a C-section, which, IMHO, might be related to how some women feel disconnected from their children after birth).

Thank you for posting the research! I hope others read it.

Pretty much lol. My son is 3 now and more of a butthead then ever. He didn't start sleeping fully through the night till he was 2.

He basically said "LOL modern medicine".
I have a chemistry degree, so I'm not a Luddite.

Roman has been sleeping peacefully for most of the last day. The only time he has cried is when he had trouble latching to my wife's right breast.

Please don't eat the placenta.
I will.

t-storm

Congrats! The most important thing is that the baby is healthy and mom is ok! Good luck on being a father.

Say goodbye to gaming for six months
Longer than that... my son is four and I can count the number of games I've played on one hand since he was born.

Wag

What, no picture of the baby coming out of your wife's vagina? I'm disappointed.👶

Neoxon

Congrats, man. Here's to nothing but success for Roman. And I do agree on the idea of putting the $8,000 that you saved towards Roman's college fund.
I promised myself that I'd name my kids Pietro & Wanda if they ended up opposite gender fraternal twins, so yeah.

I am extremely confident in my parenting beliefs. I plan on saying a lot of "Thank you for sharing that" to folks so they go away, haha. :p We also plan on home schooling him - I don't trust teachers.

Her water breaking didn't cause a big mess. The equivalent of wet panties, really. She was so tired by the time everything concluded that she was nodding off in-between contractions. Her contractions also woke her up - funny coincidence between you both!

We were prepared to go to a hospital if things went poorly. The hospital near us has a very pro-baby approach, so I wouldn't have been devastated if we had to go. The acknowledge the importance of the Golden Hour, and have charts showing successful latch rates and lowered C-section rates throughout the last year. I think a hospital that is proud of those accomplishments is a good place to be, if that's where you have to be.

The placenta thing is interesting, thanks for sharing!

And yeah, all my kids are healthy. My last, my daughter, nearly killed us both. She was conceived in the 'wrong' uterus (it was underdeveloped), I was on bed rest most of the pregnancy, and she was born two months early. NICU saved her life, but I didn't even get to see her beyond reaching out and touching her incubator from my hospital bed for a week - she had to be life flighted to another state, and I was still in to much danger to move. That sucked, but we have a great bond none the less, and she is totally fine now (though very small for her age)

As for the water breaking thing...Man I was NOT expected that. It was literally like a huge water balloon had popped in my stomach. It was the craziest feeling. I froze for a moment like 'why the fuck is there a huge puddle on my bedroom floor' before freaking out and shaking my husband awake. He jumped out of bed and splashed right into it lol.

I don't remember, but he says it had the most interesting smell. Not a bad smell, but like, earthy and shit, like he'd stumbled into a damp cave in a forest or something. That was interesting to know!

Anyways, TMI, I was unconscious for all three of my kids births, and we still have an awesome bond and they are awesome, and I am glad your kid is awesome too :) Remember to get those vaccines though!

aceface

After a horrible hospital experience with our first kid, my wife had our last two at home. Both births went smoothly, would do it again (except wouldn't cause 3 kids are enough).

Congrats on the baby! We had ours in a hospital, and would do so again - I find there to be too much risk with home-birthing in case of medical emergency. My ex-wife's second kid was born with spina bifida, and hydrocephaly, and don't want to imagine what would have happened had he been born at home.

What does encapsulating a placenta mean?

First off, what is encapsulation with the placenta? And are you seriously going to eat a piece or was that a joke?

I would have died if I chose home birth, so I'm glad I didn't. (Really weird birth defect gave me to two uterui and only one cervix, I had to deliver all three via c-section)

Pretty sure for both of these ultrasound would have caught the problem before hand and homebirth would have been ruled out? The thing about homebirth is they only let you go through with it if it's a low-risk pregnancy. At least the midwifes we went with were like that.

How does one dispose of a bathtub full of blood in their house?
Sub pump and a long hose!

Home births are more common than you think. I'm surprised they aren't more common with how much hospitals charge in the US for a delivery.
:)

Good job on the home birth. Now make sure the baby doesn't eat any GMO foods and for gods sake no vaccines they have thiomersal.
GMO foods and vaccines are fine. GMO food gets digested just like any other food - there's nothing risky about it.

The midwife did give the baby a vitamin K shot after he was born, and I wasn't keen on that. Just because it made him cry, and was clearly painful. :-/

I am sensitive to vaccine issues, though. They absolutely do not cause autism, but when I was an infant, an overdose of vaccines, combined with a medical allergy, almost killed me. Imagine being inflicted with this at 2 years of age:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Johnson's_Syndrome

Middle class folks tend to have to pay a lot on out of pocket charges. My girlfriend and I have considered at home birth if it ever gets to that point. She's worked in labor and delivery and her preference is to have at at home birth based on everything she's seen.
Yeah. As I have mentioned in other threads, Obamacare fucked my health insurance over. It went up 70% last year, and another 40% this year. It would be $900/month, with my workplace kicking in $300/month already, to cover me, my wife, and my son. For just my wife and I, it would be $550. I had to drop health insurance, and she is now covered by medicaid. That all happened in the last month, though.

I have a co-worker who is a nurse, and she also prefers home births. I have talked to many women, and none have said otherwise. I hope everything goes well for you and your girlfriend. :)

There's nothing a doctor checks for that a midwife doesn't. Our midwives was far, far more thorough than our M.D. we started off with. An experienced midwife will have a better idea if your child is at risk than a doctor, because established midwives spend a lot more time with you. My wife met every other week with her midwife for an hour, and got a check-up. Blood work, ultrasounds, blood pressure - all the stuff doctors do, midwives do, too. Obviously, just as in the world of doctors, quality of results are going to vary. We thoroughly researched our midwife selection before interviewing and hiring her.

The tipping point of being wary of hospitals was the lack of guarantee that OUR doctor would be available during the birth. It could be any doctor at all that's on staff when a woman goes into labor, and you might not have even met him/her. My wife is an abuse victim, so the idea that a random man she had never met before could come up and examine her was a red flag for us. In contrast, we called our midwife at 12:30AM, and she drove right over to set everything up for us. She didn't leave until 8AM the next day, and we were her only "patient". You'll never get that kind of focused attention from a doctor.

lot of fear-based talk and of course the medical community is split over homebirths, with some saying it's not a big deal as long as you fully prepare and also get checkups to precaution for any complications. And then others saying that the potential risks are far too great, you can't prepare for every complication, and that you should come to their hospitals to be completely safe.

It's not like there aren't any conflicting interests in this, but the health industry has so many conflicting interests, it makes me wonder if midwifery might be a good alternative for change.
I encourage you to do your own research. This is the book I read in preparation:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/055338516X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I do not consider it a good book. Dr. Bradley repeats himself so, so many times. You will want to cut Florida off of the United States by the 10th time he mentions someone drinking orange juice after labor. The content is generally good (sometimes bogus). It does teach you about how to help your wife during labor, though.

This is the book that midwives talk up and recommend to people looking to see what home births are all about:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553381156/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have not read it, but my wife has, and she is fond of it.

If you want something more like a textbook-like read on the subject, check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0452276594/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well I mean Cruise made it "pop culture popular" again, for the modern layman less informed about ...y'know, placenta eating histories. x)
I don't remember how I found out about eating the placenta. I think I learned about it ~10 years ago in college. My wife has an anthropology degree, so she and I have read a lot about tribal customs. There's no scientific evidence that eating placenta provides any kind of unique health benefit, but it's something she wanted to try. Some women (anecdotally) find that it increases energy and lactation rates. Others have said it makes them feel anxious. It could all be a placebo - who knows. While I greatly respect the scientific method, I'm also not someone who feels like I need science to justify everything I do in life.

What, no picture of the baby coming out of your wife's vagina? I'm disappointed.��
He was under blood-colored water for the birth. Hard to take a picture. :p

Don't forget to home school him too.
We're doing that. :)

The placenta thing is interesting, thanks for sharing!

And yeah, all my kids are healthy. My last, my daughter, nearly killed us both. She was conceived in the 'wrong' uterus (it was underdeveloped), I was on bed rest most of the pregnancy, and she was born two months early. NICU saved her life, but I didn't even get to see her beyond reaching out and touching her incubator from my hospital bed for a week - she had to be life flighted to another state, and I was still in to much danger to move. That sucked, but we have a great bond none the less, and she is totally fine now (though very small for her age)

As for the water breaking thing...Man I was NOT expected that. It was literally like a huge water balloon had popped in my stomach. It was the craziest feeling. I froze for a moment like 'why the fuck is there a huge puddle on my bedroom floor' before freaking out and shaking my husband awake. He jumped out of bed and splashed right into it lol.

I don't remember, but he says it had the most interesting smell. Not a bad smell, but like, earthy and shit, like he'd stumbled into a damp cave in a forest or something. That was interesting to know!

Anyways, TMI, I was unconscious for all three of my kids births, and we still have an awesome bond and they are awesome, and I am glad your kid is awesome too :) Remember to get those vaccines though!
Oh wow, so...how does the double-uterus thing work? Any articles I could read? I haven't heard about that before.

My wife was worried that her water would break in bed and ruin it, but I was honestly just too tired and lazy to put a plastic sheet over it. We got lucky. :p

It's a birth thread, so anyone coming in should expect "TMI". ;-)

Hah Karsticles I admire you sticking to your guns and calling out some of the silly stuff
I've already told all of my students at school that I'm eating the placenta, so I'm pretty comfortable talking about this (I'm a teacher).

After a horrible hospital experience with our first kid, my wife had our last two at home. Both births went smoothly, would do it again (except wouldn't cause 3 kids are enough).

Pretty sure for both of these ultrasound would have caught the problem before hand and homebirth would have been ruled out? The thing about homebirth is they only let you go through with it if it's a low-risk pregnancy. At least the midwifes we went with were like that.
Yeah, you can tell who just doesn't know anything about midwives. Like the midwife is just a lady down the street with no credentials or medical background at all.

way more

Do you have a picture of the placenta? You know those things have great healing properties. You can do so much with them and it would be a total waste to simply throw it away.

Edit: Oh, I missed the Spoiler Pic. That is a perfect specimen of a placenta. You could get '$300 for that. It's full of life and uncontaminated by drugs.

Nope, it was not caught on ultrasound. When one uterus was 'pregnant' the other was collapsed. They only found out about the two uterus thing when the cut me open and dug around.

And babies usually turn upside down sometime during the last month of pregnancy. My last ultrasound had show him to be in correct position, but the contractions had somehow moved him maybe? He was transverse breech, there was no way he was coming out. They thought about trying to manually turn him and try from there, but he heartbeat stopped during a contraction so they rushed me to the OR. So glad they didn't try, I likely would have died. My cervix was basically only half a cervix lol.

Another fucking odd one: During my last incredibly high risk pregnancy, I was having contractions a lot pretty much the whole last two months, and one time they were worried enough to see if I was dilated. They couldn't find my cervix. After some INCREDIBLY invasive searching by several different doctors, they finally did a transvaginal ultrasound and discovered my uterui had freaking flipped over. My cervix was directly under my belly button. I didn't know that was a thing could actually happen.

This of course made the whole 'holding off premature labor' thing worse because contractions tend to focus downward, and without a cervix to absorb (or whatever) them, they instead just kept thinning the walls of the uterus until I nearly bled to death, hence, the two month early emergency c-section that time :p

Last kid though. Had it all fucking removed after that. Two uterus are NOT better than one.

Oh wow, so...how does the double-uterus thing work? Any articles I could read? I haven't heard about that before.

My wife was worried that her water would break in bed and ruin it, but I was honestly just too tired and lazy to put a plastic sheet over it. We got lucky. :p

It's a birth thread, so anyone coming in should expect "TMI". ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uterus_didelphys

I however did not have cervices and I seriously fucking quote my doctor "I don't think you have two vaginas."

Also, very glad this didn't happen:

A number of twin gestations have occurred where each uterus carried its pregnancy separately. A recent example occurred on February 26, 2009, when Sarah Reinfelder of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan delivered two healthy, although seven weeks premature, infants by cesarean section at Marquette General Hospital.[6] It is possible that the deliveries occur at different times, thus the delivery interval could be days or even weeks.

DJ_Lae

Congrats!

Our third daughter was a home birth a few months ago, and we enjoyed the experience as well - many times over because it meant no last minute trying to ensure the kids were looked after, and both of them (sort of) stayed asleep during the whole experience.

My wife said in hindsight she would have preferred to not have the tub, as while it helped with some of the pain it also meant she couldn't move around nearly as much and felt really constrained.

It wasn't really an issue of cost here in Canada, either. First daughter was a fully medicated birth in hospital, epidural and everything. Second was in hospital but completely natural as she came insanely fast. Third took a bit longer at home only because she was huge (over 10 pounds, significantly bigger than the other two).

Birthing pool mainly contained bits of birthing lining and other fun stuff (no poop). Like you I had to capture that moment, as I was an idiot and didn't buy a pump with the birthing pool. So I had to empty the goddamn thing bucket by bucket into the toilet.

SFoNpIb.jpg

Home birth rates have risen here - still only 2% of total births, though. For low risk pregnancies, however, I think they're pretty awesome. Way less stressful than hospital births...though perhaps some of that is just that we've done both and knew what to expect this time.

Agreed. Well, some days I might even say three kids are too much, but you've got me on a good day.

There's nothing a doctor checks for that a midwife doesn't. Our midwives was far, far more thorough than our M.D. we started off with. An experienced midwife will have a better idea if your child is at risk than a doctor, because established midwives spend a lot more time with you. My wife met every other week with her midwife for an hour, and got a check-up. Blood work, ultrasounds, blood pressure - all the stuff doctors do, midwives do, too. Obviously, just as in the world of doctors, quality of results are going to vary. We thoroughly researched our midwife selection before interviewing and hiring her.

The tipping point of being wary of hospitals was the lack of guarantee that OUR doctor would be available during the birth. It could be any doctor at all that's on staff when a woman goes into labor, and you might not have even met him/her. My wife is an abuse victim, so the idea that a random man she had never met before could come up and examine her was a red flag for us. In contrast, we called our midwife at 12:30AM, and she drove right over to set everything up for us. She didn't leave until 8AM the next day, and we were her only "patient". You'll never get that kind of focused attention from a doctor.

Yeah, that is what I meant (a medical professional who actually knows what they're doing looking over all the medical data and determining whether or not there's a probability of complications). If your midwife that was the one doing that, then of course that's fine. And I can understand how the idea of not having your doctor available at the birth would be a legitimately worrisome issue. I actually went through some of this stuff when my sister had her child, as the father wasn't really around. Lucky for us, her doctor was available for part of the birth, especially since she did have unforeseen complications arise.

thefit

You don't actually have to have epidurals for birthing its an option for women. My wife gave birth to our kids with zero drugs, she didn't even want to take pills of any kind during pregnancy. I guess whats important though is that he got here safe and he's doing great even if it meant arriving in a blood pool.

Bloodbirth pool is a great band name btw I'm trademarking it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I just find the whole thing weird. Like, one or two things alone, I get.

But home birth. Then home schooling. And also anti vaccine?

Man.. I don't like your thinking process. Vaccinate your damn kids.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
He said he's vaccinating.
It's late so maybe I missed it, sorry. All I saw was him saying he is sensitive about the vaccine thing and also didn't want the baby to have a vitamin K shot.

Just please vaccinate your kids. That's all. If you are, then cool!

Also, congrats on baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom