• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

Christ look how happy and relieved they are:

WE'RE FUNDED!!!!

4WRgVC1.jpg

WOOHOO!!!!! This game is going to get made!!!

Thanks to all of you, we have made it! Prepare for the FUNK!!!!

From here, with lightened hearts and much less stress we catch our breathes, and then continue up this mountain towards our stretch goals. Happy Day! We have a few more announcements for you, but we'll save it for another update.

PHEW!!!!!!! Thank you everybody!!!!!!!!!!

So pleased for them.

Yes! Hoping they can hit a stretch goal or 2 before the end. Was hoping for the $550,000 for the composers, but that's not happening. Still, very pleased!

Czigga

Awesome! Super excited, they still needed like 40k a day ago.

My favorite Genesis game coming back. Thanks to all you poindexters out there

TedMilk

Backed. Can't wait for my vinyl figures!

I really do hope they reach the stretch for the PS4 version, but it doesn't look likely.

Just looking at the tiers again...why is there such a jump from the $300 tier to the $500 tier when the only extra things you get are another t-shirt, yet another digital copy of the game, and "Lamont's in game surprise"? The latter must be something pretty special as it seems to be worth $150 or so.

Backed. Can't wait for my vinyl figures!

I really do hope they reach the stretch for the PS4 version, but it doesn't look likely.
Well it's being developed in Unity so as a betting person I would say 85/15 it eventually releases on PS4 as well. Bonus points for being a controller friendly independent game.

Zubz

Banned
Hail Ziquat! I still need to back, myself (I can't decide if I want that ToeJam vinyl, or the ability to eat this weekend)... So glad to hear that they made it, though! With how things are going, we might even make it to getting the Hyperfunk Zone in the game (And the classic skins, which has me pretty hyped). It'd be pretty cool if we made it to the additional characters/composers, too, but we'll see how the next 44 hours go.

Camjo-Z

It's at ~$420K now, so I think it's safe to say we'll be reaching the classic skins stretch goal at least.

EDIT: Yep, we're getting classic skins.

I can scarcely believe they actually hit a stretch goal. I thought it'd end at $400,001.

That was me. No one seems to be reading far enough down the page.

As with everything else in this Kickstarter, it's not been explained very well.

The stretch goals are to provide simultaneous (or near-simultaneous) release on consoles. If they're not met, they still intend on releasing the game on other consoles after initial PC release, depending on what agreements can be made with the publishers. So, as long as the initial $400k goal is hit, there's still a possibility of it coming to consoles (though, personally, I doubt Wii U will ever see a release).

FAQ where it's explained.

jholmes

Since you drudged up the old post...

The stretch goals are to provide simultaneous (or near-simultaneous) release on consoles. If they're not met, they still intend on releasing the game on other consoles after initial PC release, depending on what agreements can be made with the publishers. So, as long as the initial $400k goal is hit, there's still a possibility of it coming to consoles (though, personally, I doubt Wii U will ever see a release).

While I share your pessimism somewhat, the good news for a Wii U port is that Kickstarters that get successfully backed but fall short of port stretch goals have a surprisingly good rate of getting ports eventually anyway. Whether that's because they attract interest of a fanbase or just do enough research to realize how feasible the ports really are, I'm not quite sure. I fully admit I don't have any stats to back me up but I swear someone crunched the numbers a while back and the numbers were very high.

Hubble

Agreed on all points. IMO had they shown a game with the visual fidelity and flair of the original Genesis game they'd be on 500K right now and storming towards their stretch goals. They showed off an artistically dire super early prototype that represents barely a few months of work and this campaign has suffered quite severely for it.

On a positive note it looks like they're going to make it. Hopefully they'll take the art criticism on board and reboot the game somewhat when it enters full production.

Agree. I rate Toe Jam and Earl 1 and 2 (yes, 2 I liked it a lot) in my opinion as epic games for its time (it has aged bad), or some I really rate highly in my personal likeness of games just like how others love Chrono Trigger, and so forth, this makes my list, but I am quite skeptical this will reach high acclaim as its predecessors with a short release window of November this year.

I wish they would spend more time on the game to make it better.

Hubble

I'm confused with the video. Did he cough and then switch from an Irish accent to an American accent?

Another reason why this kickstarter could have done a lot better.

I did not know what the hell he was doing and was confused leading to thinking what the hell is this, this a horrible video, and the worse pitch video I've seen.

Spwn

Just looking at the tiers again...why is there such a jump from the $300 tier to the $500 tier when the only extra things you get are another t-shirt, yet another digital copy of the game, and "Lamont's in game surprise"? The latter must be something pretty special as it seems to be worth $150 or so.

You're funding a game, not purchasing goods. Kickstarter isn't a storefront.

Agree. I rate Toe Jam and Earl 1 and 2 (yes, 2 I liked it a lot) in my opinion as epic games for its time (it has aged bad), or some I really rate highly in my personal likeness of games just like how others love Chrono Trigger, and so forth, this makes my list, but I am quite skeptical this will reach high acclaim as its predecessors with a short release window of November this year.

November is the estimated delivery date of the physical goods, the game will take 1-2 years to come out.

From the KS FAQ:
When will the game be done?
Simple answer: "we don't know yet". What you see in the videos is a very early prototype that was made by one engineer and one full time artist (with some part time art help) over the course of several months. We have a long ways to go. We really want to do this right, and deliver a game that is a worthy sequel, and this is our priority over doing it fast. So... it may be awhile. What does this mean in practical terms? Well, I'd guess probably somewhere between 1 and 2 years.

RdN

I'm so glad this got funded!

Got me worried last week that it wasn't going to make it.

Now the wait begins. Hope it'll be as awesome as it looks.

Poona

I'm confused with the video. Did he cough and then switch from an Irish accent to an American accent?

Another reason why this kickstarter could have done a lot better.

I did not know what the hell he was doing and was confused leading to thinking what the hell is this, this a horrible video, and the worse pitch video I've seen.

If you check out the kickstarter page they've removed that video and replaced it with this:

http://youtu.be/_94A3LPZ8s4

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
yeah. i have no idea why the stretch goals are so inflated. Another 150K for a few extra composers? Come on. If they are coming to consoles anyways, they should have made the consoles 450,500,550. I bet they would have hit 550 then. they could still hit 500 though.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
yeah. i have no idea why the stretch goals are so inflated. Another 150K for a few extra composers? Come on. If they are coming to consoles anyways, they should have made the consoles 450,500,550. I bet they would have hit 550 then. they could still hit 500 though.

skins 410
extra characters 425
composers 450
ps4 500
xbox 550
wiiU 600
etc.

jholmes

skins 410
extra characters 425
composers 450
ps4 500
xbox 550
wiiU 600
etc.

Double post aside, I agree. I appreciate that they wanted to budget properly, as well they should, but if they staggered the port goals they'd have drawn in more cash.

Double post aside, I agree. I appreciate that they wanted to budget properly, as well they should, but if they staggered the port goals they'd have drawn in more cash.
I think the entire KS was mismanaged, but this is a definite sign as well. I just think they banked WAY too hard on a perceived audience and their status as a cult favorite.

I say this as a big fan of the jam.

Edit: I might just be salty because goddammit I want the Hyperzone so bad.

Old school skins are the only stretch goal I wanted, but $25k seems very high for that lol. Still, happy it was reached. Hoping for that Wii U port one day.

For anyone who was complaining earlier about the blue sky, on the stream Greg said that people have made it clear they want it old school and they've been experimenting with different backgrounds.

Personally I prefer the outer space, but at the same time I think it's a shame to just do old for old school's sake. There should be a good/aesthetic reason behind anything they do other than nostalgia. But in this case I think it'd be nice.

Actually I hope it starts out with blue sky and fades to space as you get higher, a nice way to indicate your progress that the first game didn't have.

You're funding a game, not purchasing goods. Kickstarter isn't a storefront. .

That's not strictly true. Many companies have started using KS as a storefront to take preorders of their finished or near finished products. In this particular case, backers are both providing financial support to the developers to develop the game and payment for goods that will eventually be provided. The Kickstarter model is not an investment but it's also not a donation. It's a hybrid of a lot of different things and both project creators and project backers need to be aware of that.

mattp

That's not strictly true. Many companies have started using KS as a storefront to take preorders of their finished or near finished products. In this particular case, backers are both providing financial support to the developers to develop the game and payment for goods that will eventually be provided. The Kickstarter model is not an investment but it's also not a donation. It's a hybrid of a lot of different things and both project creators and project backers need to be aware of that.
no
its not a hybrid anything
you are making donations
it's as simple as that

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Well I was backed at $1,000 but I just couldn't bring myself to keep that pledge so I backed down to $300. The difference between $300 and $1,000 is that benefactor statue but who freaking knows what the statue will look like.

Again, if your want guys who can make big pledges, show them some value. If the Benefactor statue is 24" tall, well crafted, etc. I would be all in but who knows. Just let me know!

megalowho

Glad this one is going to go through and hit a couple of the stretch goals - not sure if they'll make extra characters in the next 2 hours but it's close.

Normally I don't mess with physical rewards but I upped my pledge because for some reason I really want that mug. Would buy one of those if I saw it in a store anyway, might as well put it towards the campaign.

Camjo-Z

Well I was backed at $1,000 but I just couldn't bring myself to keep that pledge so I backed down to $300. The difference between $300 and $1,000 is that benefactor statue but who freaking knows what the statue will look like.

Again, if your want guys who can make big pledges, show them some value. If the Benefactor statue is 24" tall, well crafted, etc. I would be all in but who knows. Just let me know!

They answered some questions about the 1K tier in the newest update:

"Graffiti Wall: Since we didn't get any $5k backers we are going to be putting all $1K backers on the Graffiti wall. (our one $10k mega-backer will have a very special wall of their own)

All $1K backers are invited (as a BIG thank you) to have dinner with Greg and visit the studio.

Some people have asked about the Benefactor Statue. It is 5 Inches tall and made of Bronze. We don't have any made yet."

Glad this one is going to go through and hit a couple of the stretch goals - not sure if they'll make extra characters in the next 2 hours but it's close.

Since it's so close, I'm hoping they do Latisha at least even if they don't hit 500K exactly.

EDIT: Not that it matters any more, since they just hit it!

Top Bottom