• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

Deadstar

They've said multiple times that it will take as long as it takes, they want to spend a lot of time playing the game and iterating and making it better.

They...did? The initial pitch is the mockup. If you don't like blue sky then you tell them you don't like blue sky. They clearly intended for it to have blue sky but they're flexible toward what the fans want.

I should have clarified in that a screenshot would have sufficed instead of a video. To me the art style doesn't look that great. Low budget is fine but it looks a little strange to me.

Sciz

Given the way lower levels are visible below you, I'll be surprised if the background doesn't fade out to space as you ascend.

IrishNinja

So they're 3/4 of the way there with 9 days to go. I'm not sure whether to be optimistic or not. I know there's typically a surge in the last few days, but movement over the past week was very slow.

ehh i feel okay about this being in the bag? stretch goals sadly feel like a distant dream, which sucks cause id so much rather play this on console, but alas

Shaneus

ehh i feel okay about this being in the bag? stretch goals sadly feel like a distant dream, which sucks cause id so much rather play this on console, but alas
I thought someone said on the last page that it'll make it to consoles eventually anyway, but the stretch goals mean it's launched in parallel with the PC version (or something).

goldenpp72

I'm on my only day off for the week so I wanted to get this figured out today. I have interest in the actual merchandise more so than the PC release of the game, so what is the system I have to use to get the add ons? The add on total I want is 145, can I just do a 145 pledge (that says 'no rewards') or do I have to go in at least 5 bucks, then add on the 150, or something else?

I want the 3 figures and keychain :p

Camjo-Z

The add on total I want is 145, can I just do a 145 pledge (that says 'no rewards') or do I have to go in at least 5 bucks, then add on the 150, or something else?

The wording they used says you have to be a backer at some level, then increase your pledge with however much you want. So I guess you would go in for $5 and then add an extra $145 afterwards.

Sciz

Physical collector's edition added for the $300 tier or as a $40 add-on, KS exclusive.

mtAXN1Q.jpg

Poona

Yes! Just upped my pledge to Spin Master DJ at $300 so I could get that physical box. Gotta get this funded!

JSoup

Banned
Them: "New ToeJam & Earl!"
Me: Awesome! :D
Them: "Based off the first game, as the second game was strange!"
Me: Oh. :/

Hubble

One thing that is hurting this kickstarter is the stretch goals are really unexciting. Stretch goals are meant to be exciting, where they are unlikely, but a really nice add-on if it did happen. I really think literally the first 4 stretch goals are bland and do not excite people for additional funding. Sure, old school skins and additional composers are cool but is it going to convince me to chalk up another 20 bones? No. This can be another explanation of why this kickstarter feels rushed without much thought into it.

People liked the second game?

I did, a lot.

GhaleonEB

People liked the second game?

I thought it was fun on its own merits, but wasn't a sequel to the original in any real respect. Didn't play to its strengths. Back at the CES where the game was exhibited prior to release, I asked Greg why they went with the side scrolling view. He said it was to place more emphasis on the characters and their personalities, but that didn't work from an isometric standpoint due to the limited view it provided. I thought it was a fair explanation but I am glad the series since returned to its roots. To me exploration and discovery are a big part of the appeal and the second game didn't really scratch that itch. (Also, I am ancient.)

Glad the funding pace has picked up a bit as the end approaches. $30k in the past three days, at that pace they'll be about on the mark, but with the usual end rush should clear $400k just fine.

Camjo-Z

Another small update today, the "Early Access and Inclusion to Design Forum" reward is now for everybody who pledges $60 and up, even if it's through add-ons.

$60,000 to go and 5 days left. I'm optimistic!

EDIT: Er, make that $70,000.

Camjo-Z

Saw this in another interview today.

Josh: So, back to ToeJam & Earl… This is going to be a super weird question probably, but this is something I’ve genuinely always been curious about. How much would you say that drugs influenced ToeJam & Earl?

Greg: [Laughing] That’s funny. Well, I don’t know. I mean, I don’t do drugs, and I never have. Any type. That’s sometimes shockingly surprising to some people who are absolutely sure that ToeJam & Earl came out of some drug-induced state of mind... I mean, standing back a little bit, I guess I can see that just in terms of how crazy everything is…

Here’s a little interesting tidbit for you: Mark [Voorsanger, co-creator of ToeJam & Earl] and I were approached at one point to sell the property for quite a bit of money to an organization that was focused on legalizing marijuana. They wanted ToeJam and Earl as sort of their mascot characters. If we had taken the cash and sold the characters, there was no question that we would be seeing them toking it up very quickly all over the place.

That... would have been something.

This will make it. The last minute push and craziness will force them over their goal. Stretch goals are out of the window but at least the game will get funded. With the recent failure of Kickstarters like Boogerman and James Pond I was a little worried and sceptical but I guess the love for this series is evidently much stronger.

Strong enough to at least get this game made. Glad for the developers (on the presumption that this does actually make it).

ReBurn

Gold Member
The stretch goals for other versions seem incredibly ridiculous. Maybe eventually it will come to consoles anyway.

Zubz

Banned
Saw this in another interview today.

That... would have been something.

... Huh. ... Hey, wait a second, how would Toejam toke "it up very quickly all over the place?" The guy lacks a mouth, or any visible orifices for that matter!

Still sucks that the stretch goals won't be hit, but I'm still excited! I haven't bought in yet, myself. I'm not sure if I want to buy a Vinyl Toejam or not...

Camjo-Z

New update. They're doing a Twitch stream on Thursday where they'll give away concept art to people who answer trivia questions.

Yes, it's true. You don't have to spend any more money. We are giving away ORIGINAL, one of a kind ToeJam and Earl concept art..... for free!

84667e6159660924501a538abd3de29c.png

Our campaign ends at noon this coming Friday the 27th. So... we have dubbed Thursday the 26th "International ToeJam and Earl Day". We're asking everyone who wants to, to dust off their copy of TJ & E 1, or 2,or 3, and invite a friend over to play. Stream it on twitch if you want!

While you play you can take a break and watch our Twitch Stream, where we will be asking simple TJ&E trivia questions and giving away artwork to the people who answer them first. (questions will be answered on our Facebook Page). We have a limited amount, and we will be splitting it between the two Twitch Streams. Artwork will all be signed! Art is limited to one per person. We'll even pay for the postage.

We will run the Twitch Stream twice on Thursday. Once at 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm (PST - west coast time) and then again at 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm (PST). We're trying to make it as convenient as we can for people here in the U.S. and in Europe as well. (noon here, is early evening in Europe - apologies to other time zones).

Hm... well, I don't have any systems with me to play the games on ATM, but I did finally beat TJ&E3 just a few weeks ago during spring break so I'll say that counts!

MC Safety

I'm excited for this.

I got to interview Voorsanger and Johnson for Xbox Nation all those many years ago. It was one of my all-time favorite interviews.

Hubble

IMO they've done a terrible job with the kickstarter. When they announced the Twitch and Gamespot events, they did not include the URLs for people to view, and a lot of people especially on Kickstarter or who played these games when they were younger do not even know what Twitch is or might not go to Gamespot routinely to know where to look. That is too much work for people to search for these events. Not to mention other things like not having stretch goals in place from the start, modifying art, etc. I am still backing and want it to succeed but really irritating they are not doing the best they can to gain more revenue.

IMO they've done a terrible job with the kickstarter. When they announced the Twitch and Gamespot events, they did not include the URLs for people to view, and a lot of people especially on Kickstarter or who played these games when they were younger do not even know what Twitch is or might not go to Gamespot routinely to know where to look. That is too much work for people to search for these events. Not to mention other things like not having stretch goals in place from the start, modifying art, etc. I am still backing and want it to succeed but really irritating they are not doing the best they can to gain more revenue.

Agreed on all points. IMO had they shown a game with the visual fidelity and flair of the original Genesis game they'd be on 500K right now and storming towards their stretch goals. They showed off an artistically dire super early prototype that represents barely a few months of work and this campaign has suffered quite severely for it.

On a positive note it looks like they're going to make it. Hopefully they'll take the art criticism on board and reboot the game somewhat when it enters full production.

Camjo-Z

It's at 398K, there's no way this can fail now! I was on the fence but what the heck, I'm throwing in another $40 for that boxed version.

Agreed on all points. IMO had they shown a game with the visual fidelity and flair of the original Genesis game they'd be on 500K right now and storming towards their stretch goals. They showed off an artistically dire super early prototype that represents barely a few months of work and this campaign has suffered quite severely for it.

On a positive note it looks like they're going to make it. Hopefully they'll take the art criticism on board and reboot the game somewhat when it enters full production.
Cosigning this conversation.

Funded! So pleased for the team. It's always amazing to see projects like this succeed on Kickstarter. This along with Monster Boy has made this a really good year for previously dormant retro Sega IPs with the original talent behind them no less. Now all I hope is that the game turns out to be fantastic.

For a little while I started to get worried. I'm so happy this is happening. Hopefully, they can hit some stretch goals in the next 2 days.

Top Bottom