• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

Hubble

8d4fae132a512b7d25fcbd3812eaef75_large.jpg

Previous screen shot of Level 0 Hole Scene

vs.

b5c2543a38fa2db143690805f5a35c82_large.jpg

Newer Concept of Level 0 Hole Scene (no shadows, bright palette, heavier outlines)

Hmm... The brighter colours and more pronounced outlines do make a difference here. There's a lot less monochrome going on with the shadow maps in the bottom image too. Though I do kind of like the shadows present, though maybe tones down a bit.

Also...

Sounds great.

The character models look a lot better in the older picture but I do like the other changes.

Shaneus

vs.

Newer Concept of Level 0 Hole Scene (no shadows, bright palette, heavier outlines)

Hmm... The brighter colours and more pronounced outlines do make a difference here. There's a lot less monochrome going on with the shadow maps in the bottom image too. Though I do kind of like the shadows present, though maybe tones down a bit.

Also...

Sounds great.
Um, wow. That makes a massive difference already.

The character models look a lot better in the older picture but I do like the other changes.

I think Earl looks pretty good. but Toejam looses his silhouette with those thick black lines. But this looks like a hasty edit, so I could imagine that things could get readjusted.

LOVE the brighter palettes and more defined ink strokes- so much so I wish they had previewed footage with it originally. Much more in line with the FUNK.

I think those screenshots must be mockups done over the original screenshot, if they were done in-engine they would've showed video of the new concepts.

My preference is for Concept B, with slightly thinner outlines, the vibrancy dialed back a little (but brighter than the original). Though I like shadows, I don't think they could do them in any way that really adds to it, so it's better without IMO. If they can do that, then the look will be more in line with the 90s underground comic style they've mentioned. Too thick outlines and they just look cartoony which, while OK, I really like the idea of the underground comic style.

Poona

Looks like it is slowing up a little on pledges. Is it likely this will make the target of 400k?

I hope they can create some add-ons of extra things. I can pledge more (I'm currently on $250). Dunno what they can look at though. Plush toys? Artwork? Cd soundtracks? Boxed copies? Extra digital downloads?

Hopefully they can also put announcements on console releases too to get others to pledge. I mean I'm currently pledging just because it's ToeJam & earl and I want all that physical stuff in the $250 tier, but I've seen people say they won't pledge unless they make a console release choosable too.

Cytezan

I hope they can create some add-ons of extra things. I can pledge more (I'm currently on $250). Dunno what they can look at though. Plush toys? Artwork? Cd soundtracks? Boxed copies? Extra digital downloads?

Hopefully they can also put announcements on console releases too to get others to pledge. I mean I'm currently pledging just because it's ToeJam & earl and I want all that physical stuff in the $250 tier, but I've seen people say they won't pledge unless they make a console release choosable too.

I agree. Having goals that mention console releases should bring more people to the party.

I also pledged because I'm a big TJ&E fan, but I would have pledged more if I knew for sure it would come to PS4.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Looks like it is slowing up a little on pledges. Is it likely this will make the target of 400k?
A crazy amount of kickstarter projects funding come at the beginning and end. This already made it considering the push it'll get right at the finish line.

Camjo-Z

Another funky interview with Greg Johnson on Gaming Rebellion that reveals more details. Here are the notable ones I heard, but check out the full two-hour interview if you want everything, there are some anecdotes and other things worth listening in for.

• John Baker (composer for the first two TJ&E games) has offered to write some songs for the new game

• New ideas for presents and abilities:

- Present that lets players switch bodies to help a friend in trouble
- Present that lets you meditate and float somewhere while healing/protecting other players? (The wording was a little unclear on this)
- Ability for Earl to throw Toejam, allowing him to cross gaps

• Still intends to keep the game more defensive than offensive, unlike TJ&E3 where you could attack at all times

• Stop Signs - levels will contain these in various areas, when you stand in the circle next to the sign all of the Earthlings will freeze, letting you plan your next move. Meant to harken back to old roguelikes where gameplay was turn-based

• Some hip-hop style elements from game 3 will be retained, but will be mostly like the originals (right down to TJ&E speaking in outdated slang)

• Wants to have more "world events" like Tomato Rain and the tornadoes from the first game

• Wants new ways to interact with old characters, such as stealing Santa's jetpack or having a dance-off with the hula girls

• Sometimes presents can be "amped" and more powerful - meant to get people to use their presents more often

• Potential stats/attributes in mind

- Speed
- Life
- Presents
- Rhythm
- Luck
- Stealth
- Sixth Sense

• Random worlds will still have secrets

• Wants to bring back some Earthlings from the third game - e.g. cowboy singer, ninja bunnies, sushi guy

• This game is more for the old-school TJ&E fans than new players who aren't familiar with the series

The more I hear from Greg, the more I want to see this get funded. He really loves making games and he really loves the fans.

Zubz

Banned
Another funky interview with Greg Johnson on Gaming Rebellion that reveals more details. Here are the notable ones I heard, but check out the full two-hour interview if you want everything, there are some anecdotes and other things worth listening in for.

The more I hear from Greg, the more I want to see this get funded. He really loves making games and he really loves the fans.

I like all of that but the "for older fans only;" I'm excited for some TJ&E nostalgia, but I hope it's not planning to rely on that alone. Greg seems like a genuine guy, though; I really want them to make it!

Camjo-Z

I like all of that but the "for older fans only;" I'm excited for some TJ&E nostalgia, but I hope it's not planning to rely on that alone. Greg seems like a genuine guy, though; I really want them to make it!

Perhaps I should have elaborated more, when he was mentioning that he was referring to how he's doing this as an indie. He pointed out how, were he working for a publisher, they would have demanded that the game be focused heavily toward new players, as they'd be the biggest potential market for the game and thus should be catered to above all. Because that's not the case, he's more free to build it how he imagines the longtime TJ&E fans would want it.

The difference between TJ&E3's Dreamcast beta vs. the final Xbox version is a good example of what he's talking about. Thanks to Executive Meddling™, the latter is clearly designed more for a modern gaming audience than the former (what with the hub worlds, keys, and other things tossed in that didn't really add anything to the experience).

Shaneus

^^ I might have to check out the DC version then. Didn't realise there was such a difference between that and the Xbox one (other than graphics).

God, now I want a Ready, Set, Tomatoes! easter egg in the game.

But with most of that, it sounds like they're on track. I like the stop sign idea, but I'm not sure on the game having too much of a hip hop style. IMO even a little might be too much (on top of what the original was like). Ideally, TJ would lose the pants and wifebeater, and Earl would get his boxer shorts back. Ideally.

I messaged Greg on the kickstarter, not sure if he read it or not, but in the Sega Nerds interview he seemed very aware of modern action-roguelikes and how popular they are. I told him I hope he takes some cues from them, as long as it doesn't interfere with what TJ&E is all about.

I like the idea of finding ways to make negative items a good thing, like you carry it with you for the whole game and at the end it's used to open up a secret path or something. Or there's an NPC that doesn't seem to do anything, just wanders around, and if you open a certain bad present in front of him he does something good for you. That sort of thing. Small mysteries and secrets.

IrishNinja

still haven't bought in yet (trying to sort out which tier still) but...20 days left, and we're just under halfway to the goal. ya'll reckon this will pan out? I really hope so.

I dislike the new look, it's like they found out how to add black edges to everything and made them all too thick.

This is the problem with kickstarter for me, you see one design but it ends on another.

vs.

Also...

Sounds great.

I like the older one better.

Sciz

Update #9:

We Hear You!! We'll be making some announcements VERY soon!

Hello, people to whom we are very grateful... :) This post is to let you know that we hear all of the great comments and suggestions you are making, and we have been crafting some new plans as a result. We will be making some BIG announcements on Monday.

Integrity and honesty are very important to us. We want to make sure we don't make promises we can't keep, and this means taking the time to think things through at our end before making commitments. This is exactly what we have been doing... when not dashing back and forth between here and the Game Developer's Conference to give interviews, and trying to drum up press, writing articles, fixing our videos, etc.

Also you may notice a few changes on our KickStarter Page and there are a few more to come. This has been, and continues to be a BIG learning experience. If you have friends who have concerns about our 2D/3D issue or our missing walk animations, or frame-rate or moving camera, or anything else in regards to "the look" in our early prototype please re-assure them that this is NOT in any sense close to final. As you can see by our evolving screen shots, we are doing our best to be responsive and we have a ways to go before we have our final look. Have faith.

Also I've decided to pull Scottish Greg. I get kind of silly sometimes (you may have noticed). It's why TJ & E is so off-the-wall. It just happens... what can I say. Some people were annoyed by my bad accent, and I got worried I might be offending some people, so we're going to go a bit more straight up with the leading video.

Here are the latest screen shots. We've pulled in even more of the texture from the original style of grass, and we've modified the shadows to be old school as per some suggestions. Made the outlines slightly less thick. etc.

d79dcdfc4458a5bc48510e6utp.jpg

aabfb76080a5fffedd3675yupp.jpg

If you aren't totally sick of hearing me speak yet, here are a couple links for you. One audio podcast for you to listen to as you are sitting in traffic, and an article from the LA Times that came out yesterday. (These are also posted on our Facebook Page).

http://segabits.com/blog/2015/03/06...h-greg-johnson-co-creator-of-toejam-and-earl/

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/funky-toejam-earl-hopes-to-make-an-indie-comeback/

In this very thoughtfully written LA Times article by Todd Martens I share some of my thoughts on ethnic culture in video games (or the general lack thereof), and why ToeJam and Earl is so strongly influenced by African-American culture, and African-American music.

Just as a little teaser for that article... here is a photo of me from 1977. You can't see the afro pick I am wearing in my hair in the back. After reading the article you may understand a bit more about the roots of ToeJam and Earl. :)

fab5ac6851f4c9057783d7d0398aa0b8_large.jpg

1977! Check out those sideburns. Where is my boombox? 1977! Check out those sideburns. Where is my boombox?

Let us know too if you want more updates (or if we are doing it too often). We've been told that every day is too often, but perhaps that's what you would like. Always happy to do more.

--Greg

Cytezan

Definitely looks lke they are listening to fan feedback which is pretty good to hear. I think the latest pic looks pretty good from an art-style point of view.

I would like to see it in action though. :)

Seems to be shaping up to be more appealing aesthetically pretty quickly. Still, it feels like it's missing a certain flair that the first game had. Maybe it's the lack of a tacky-ass HUD. That Squigglevision-esque font that most of the original game had went a long way.

No Latisha, no backing...

Sorry guys, put Latisha and I will give you 60 bucks.

Now that's just a shitty way of thinking about this.

Camjo-Z

They haven't made their big update yet, but I noticed that the rewards have been increased a bit. Pledging $60 or higher now gets you 2 copies of the game, $200+ gets you 3 copies, and $500+ gets you 4 copies. Also, $200 or more gets a digital download of the soundtrack. Nothing game-changing, but nice for people who've backed at those tiers.

Sciz

Update #10:

Hello friends of ToeJam & Earl! GUESS WHAT! Santa has some surprises for you!

7aa56531007db7d81e8c1a8e8451ab63_large.jpg

1) ADD-ONS! : If you have backed at any level, you can now purchase additional items (like more Vinyl Figures!). Check out the catalog of items on the main page. You will see instructions there too for how it works. We have limited the number of add-ons, per item, to 5. (These are for you and friends and family, not for re-selling.)

2) STRETCH GOALS! : Check out the Stretch Goals on the Main Page! We will be unlocking a new one as we open each one. What are the ones in the mystery presents? We’re not telling!

3) DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OF THE SOUNDTRACK! : Many People have asked for this, so we have included a digital download of the new game’s soundtrack as part of the higher tiers, and it is also an Add-On for $10. It will be awhile before we have this available as we have to first make the music - we will be doing re-makes of many of the old songs. Needless to say if you already purchased a tier

4) EXTRA COPIES OF THE GAME! : We decided it was lame of us not to offer more copies at different tiers, so we have corrected that. PEANUT ($60): 2 copies total BLING MASTER ($200): 3 copies total FUNKLORD ($500): 4 copies

5) FREE .MP3 OF THE SONG : A number of people have asked if they can purchase an MP3 of the new Theme song. It is now available for free download on the main page (the link is down at the bottom)

6) T-SHIRT & HOODIE COLOR CHOICES : Some fans have said they want darker shirts or hoodies so we now will offer an option. The T-Shirts now come in White or Black, and the hoodies now come in Light Grey or Dark Grey.

7) NO DRM : Many of you have stated a preference for no DRM. OK, we hear you. Aside from any DRM that our distribution partner imposes(like Steam, for example), we will not add any DRM.

A couple of additional notes:

• We are ALMOST DONE with an updated the lead video (no Scottish accent this time).

• We have clarified in the rewards that this version is also for Mac and Linux (not just PC)

RALLY THE TROOPS!!! SOUND THE CALL!!!

We have just 2 WEEKS to go on this campaign and we’ll need to pick up steam or we won’t make it. You guys have been awesome with suggestions and enthusiasm! Our main issue is probably visibility. There are a lot of TJ & E fans out there that don’t know about this. We have some great gaming press and podcasts coming out this week and next, so that should help. Anything you can do to keep getting the word out is mucho appreciated.

We’re trying to sweeten the pie too so that people might be excited to up their pledges (hint hint) or purchase more add-on goodies.

We are still looking into physical copies of the game – we need to cost things and make sure it works before we can offer them.

As to offering other platforms as stretch goals, we’re happy to share our latest thinking but I’ll save that for another post as this one is getting too long.

Keep the ideas flowing. You all have been truly amazing.

8116988a64b90aec75bde92b6d62df0b_large.png

Camjo-Z

Alright, they've got $10 more from me for the soundtrack. Heck, I might end up just going in for $200 and getting that Rapmaster Rocket... decisions, decisions.

Doosi

Banned
I find it a little disheartening that they need to depend so much on fan feedback for the art direction.

Roto13

I don't even care about how you would work the Hyperfunk Zone into a game like the first one, but I don't care, I definitely want it.

I find it a little disheartening that they need to depend so much on fan feedback for the art direction.

It kind of is. I think the sprite artist is perfectly fine for the game, and I like the style that he is going for. But the problem area seems to be matching up the 3D environments to match the sprites.

Now that I see the latest changes, I do kinda like the lower saturation of the original environments a little more (yeah I am flip flopping a bit), but I like the thick outlines of newer environments. I kind of do prefer the higher contrast of the sprites though.

D-X

Greg has said in a few interviews that this one is for the fans, so it's refreshing to see someone willing to listen and act on positive feedback. As a result it does look much better now.

However there is a limit where fans can have too much say and harm a project - I don't think we're anywhere near that right now.

Blues1990

I'm down with Latisha & Nerdy Toejam becoming playable characters, as I love 'Mission to Earth', and just to hear Latisha sass TJ is worth it's weight in gold alone.

Camjo-Z

Yeah, I agree. I'd assumed that they "got" what people enjoy about the aesthetic, but they either don't, or it got lost in the translation to 3D.

They've repeatedly said "this is an early demo, we'll focus on improving the graphics once we actually start development". Even the newer screenshots aren't exactly what the final game will look like. At least wait until the thing gets funded and worked on a bit before we start proclaiming the devs are clueless.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the thing. They had a terrible kickstarter launch. They showed too much of a game that people didn't exactly agree with the art style and the launch video was flat out horrible.

With that being said, they are definitely listening to the fans and this game is still so far away from being finished. Let's hit more stretch goals.

Here's the thing. They had a terrible kickstarter launch. They showed too much of a game that people didn't exactly agree with the art style and the launch video was flat out horrible.

With that being said, they are definitely listening to the fans and this game is still so far away from being finished. Let's hit more stretch goals.

Hmm.. I don't know. I think with holding things at the beginning may have caused a backlash that could have been disastrous too. I think it was for the best that they put everything out up front for people to see, even if it gave them a slow start.

But at the same time, for a series as niche as Toejam and Earl, I expected it to do a lot worse. The project is kind of limping along, but it will still at the least probably hit its target goal, though $800k is just thinking a bit too large. Though I think Greg has been doing a good job communicating with fans and constantly updating.

Zubz

Banned
Man, I was hoping those Vinyl Figures'd be cheaper; I really want both! Oh well; Toejam'll do. Here's hoping we hit those stretch goals!

Top Bottom