• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

Laws00

The 2nd clip of the game they were making for xbox I would love if they made that game with high res graphics and the what not.

I am not feeling this look of the game they want to make.

Shaneus

Just discovered the second video on the kickstarter page..

Hahaha.. hilarious. I love it.
Remember, these are the guys who created Star Control 2 AND Skylanders. WTF.

Thinking about it though, if Greg Johnson had a hand in designing at least one of the aliens from SC2, it could well be the Spathi:
EAwVKpM.gif

Edit: Completely wrong, but this outlines pretty much everything he was involved with. That video looked and sounded just like something from SC2, which roused my curiosity.

Greg Johnson's first big game was Starflight?! Wow!!
I've always know Johnson from Toe Jam & Earl ( the second one is my fav one, btw). But never ever crossed my mind he worked on Starflight, one of my favourite games ever. This is amazing.

PD: I need to back that so much, but stupid kickstarter does not accept paypal. They need to fix that...

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I think it looks horrible. I am always down for more TJ&E but I can't get over the horrible artstyle. It's turning me off wholesale. It's crushing :(

fade_

I'm excited for it. I'm confident the art style will get cleaned up before final release. Frankly as long as it doesn't interfere with the gameplay/control of the character I don't care.

Lucifon

I think it looks horrible. I am always down for more TJ&E but I can't get over the horrible artstyle. It's turning me off wholesale. It's crushing :(

My exact feelings :(

Also I'm surprised noone has discussed just how awful/cringeworthy the videos on the Kickstarter page are, including the main backer video.

Dali

I don't get the coughing part. He has an accent then he doesn't. Is that a reference to something or was it just an unfunny joke?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
This game is still 2 years off. It is going to look a lot better. The art looks a little stiff but its still very early.

Also I'm surprised noone has discussed just how awful/cringeworthy the videos on the Kickstarter page are, including the main backer video.

That's implied for any Kickstarter. If they could hire a big PR firm, they wouldn't need a Kickstarter.

Ya, I couldn't make it through that second video of them pretending to talk...I legit felt embarrassed lol

Blues1990

TJ&E3 was not very good though... :/
Not a popular opinion, but I love 'Mission to Earth', and I hope Latisha will make an appearance in 'Back in the Groove.' I love the three games for different reasons, & the fact that this game will be incorporating elements/mechanics from the first two games sounds neat.

I'm putting down some cash to get the goodies, but I wished there was a tier to get a home console release.

Ixion

I thought the videos were really funny, but I agree that the art-style isn't good. It just looks very bland. Those first two T&E games looked funky as hell.

I like everything I'm hearing about this game, except for the art-style. To back or not to back...

Camjo-Z

The campaign has hit the 100k mark! Yeah! Alright!

For folks concerned about the graphics, it's important to note that this is still in development and a long ways off. They haven't even implemented the animation for walking up and down yet. If they could make a game that already looks and plays great, they wouldn't need to be on Kickstarter.

Not a popular opinion, but I love 'Mission to Earth', and I hope Latisha will make an appearance in 'Back in the Groove.'

Greg mentioned in the recent SegaNerds interview that they're considering making Latisha playable, as well as some other characters from Panic on Funkotron.

Zubz

Banned
Those vinyl figures look dope! I hope they'll sell them separately from their reward tiers someday.

1-2 years feels like a long ways, off, though, especially because I've never had good luck with KickStarters being timely. I mean, the Squigly DLC for Skullgirls is the only timely video game thing I've backed, and at least 4 others are already a year behind schedule. This is more the hype talking, though, because I don't want the game to be rushed, but I still want that beautiful HD TJ&E already! Especially if it hits the Wii U (Or its successor, depending on when the game's finished).

Any idea what the other playable characters might look like? I'd be fine if they bring back Latisha, though. The only other playable character we've seen looks like a 3-eyed blob with shoes; I know he was in Panic on Funkotron, and the game's in its earliest stages, but he doesn't seem as stand-out-ish as the other characters so far.

Camjo-Z

Any idea what the other playable characters might look like? I'd be fine if they bring back Latisha, though. The only other playable character we've seen looks like a 3-eyed blob with shoes; the game's in the early stages, but he doesn't seem as stand-out-ish as the other characters so far.

That's Peabo from Panic on Funkotron. I think the 4th playable character they're currently using is Lewanda (or maybe it was Sharla? I can't remember) and others like Latisha and Lamont the Funkopotomous will be put in if they can manage it.

those environments aren't looking to hot at the moment, there's no reason the ground shouldn't have more than the same doodle-like textures, but be more flat overall.

I wish they would just go 16bit style, or update the original sprites to a slightly larger resolution.

I know some people have a hernia over it, but low res, 8/16 bit art style is an easy way to make any game look fantastic, and I'm a huge fan.

Huge fan of the original game, backed in a heartbeat! I honestly don't even need a whole new story/version of Toejam & Earl, they could just remake an HD version of the original Genesis game and I'd be in heaven. :)

Blues1990

Greg mentioned in the recent SegaNerds interview that they're considering making Latisha playable, as well as some other characters from Panic on Funkotron.

That's awesome! I will be down with playing as Latisha again, as I had bounced back between her & Big Earl in TJ&EIII.

Sorcerer

I wonder how the creators retained ownership of the license?

Isn't it pretty unheard of back in the 16 bit era for creators to get their games published by someone as big as Sega without losing the license?

Pretty awesome, must be smart guys to have retained ownership.

Unless Sega did own it and it was brought back. But then again Toe Jam and Earl never made the various Sega comps as far as I know.

Man, I loved Toejam and Earl back in the day, but the art style they're using for this game looks horrible. I'm not sure who looked at it and thought it was a good style to take with the game.

Sciz

I wonder how the creators retained ownership of the license?

Isn't it pretty unheard of back in the 16 bit era for creators to get their games published by someone as big as Sega without losing the license?

Pretty awesome, must be smart guys to have retained ownership.

Unless Sega did own it and it was brought back. But then again Toe Jam and Earl never made the various Sega comps as far as I know.

Sega owns the assets to the first two games, devs kept the IP. I don't know how they managed it either.

Hubble

I agree with everyone else. I really don't like the art style of the game, hopefully they completely change it but I am still backing it.

Sega owns the assets to the first two games, devs kept the IP. I don't know how they managed it either.

If Sega owns the assets, how are they using both audio and visual assets for this Kickstarter, with little mention of Sega beyond "owners of the Toejam and Earl games (just to be clear, Sega doesn't own it)"?

It sounds like Sega doesn't own anything of TJ&E at this point, if you take their word for it. Maybe Sega have the rights to republish the Genesis releases as they see fit, but that's it?

@MUWANdo

Banned
If Sega owns the assets, how are they using both audio and visual assets for this Kickstarter, with little mention of Sega beyond "owners of the Toejam and Earl games (just to be clear, Sega doesn't own it)"?

It sounds like Sega doesn't own anything of TJ&E at this point, if you take their word for it. Maybe Sega have the rights to republish the Genesis releases as they see fit, but that's it?

They can't lift the music/sfx directly from the old games but they can do new arrangements, basically.

Koobion

The first one is one of my favorite games ever. Definitely going to back this! I imagine this is close to what it would feel like if Streets of Rage 4 was announced..

Cytezan

First time I have backed a kick starter project. I loved the original Toejam and Earl.
Got the HOMEY package - love the figures :)

Really hope this project gets off the ground!

XaosWolf

Backed purely for the continuation of TJ&E, but I am not a fan of the art style at all.

Needs to be colourful as fuck and everything needs about 70% more funk.

This might become my first Kickstarter backing.

I presume that there are no shipping charges if you donate at a level with physical goods? Had a quick look through the text but couldn't find anything...

Corpekata

Banned
This might become my first Kickstarter backing.

I presume that there are no shipping charges if you donate at a level with physical goods? Had a quick look through the text but couldn't find anything...

In the US it should be factored into the price already. Outside of it when you select a tier Kickstarter will show you the shipping costs.

Well "assets" only mean that they own the original sprite artwork, Genesis music, game sound effects and source code. They own the rights to the original games and can redistribute them as many times as they want. But the rights to the characters are owned by Greg Johnson. He can just remake the original game and music and legally sell that as long as it doesn't infringe on the original Sega games.

Nice to see the game at $150k though... it is getting close to the half way mark in funding which is encouraging. $400k seemed to much to me when this Kickstarter started and I was skeptical that it wouldn't even crack $100k after the first week. Nut I guess I have to give the developer credit for just asking for what he needs up front and not hiding things behind stretch goals. In that video interview posted in this thread Greg said that he doesn't have any plans for stretch goals as he fears that he might promise things that could be unachievable.

RdN

Fucking backed!

I loved this game on my Mega Drive.. My brother and I played this like crazy, even though we'd mostly hang in the bar and hot tub in the lowest level.

Top Bottom