• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

Sciz

Polygon interview with Greg

Notable bit, re: multiplat:

Johnson is also very clear that the multi-platform plan for the new ToeJam & Earl is not something that will be tied to stretch goals. If he needs extra funding to get the game onto other platforms, he has other sources to turn to.

"I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll be funding the other platforms myself or whether or not I'll partner with somebody, like Unity or Humble Bundle, or whether I'll go straight to Microsoft and Sony and strike a deal with them for funding," Johnson says. "I have a great relationship with Sony. They've been very gracious. They said the door is wide open if I want to put future games on their platform. There's a lot of good possibilities out there. I'm not too worried about it."

Dat Big Earl Bump :)

Big Earl was the original Patrick:

Patrick_Star.png

Only more awesome.

Polygon interview with Greg

Notable bit, re: multiplat:

It is nice to see that he is upfront about his plans. I know some people are criticizing some of these Kickstarter projects for going to publishers for help, but I have never seen any problems with this. Developing the game independently and then going to a publisher later to put it on multi-platforms is a pretty solid plan. So I hope this turns out well for them.

I still think that the art style needs some tweaking though, I think the 3D environments do work for many reasons, but stylistically things could change a bit.

Camjo-Z

The 2D artist is going to be a busy, busy man.

Shouldn't be too hard really. Assuming they keep the puppet style of the character sprites in the prototype (which they also used in Doki Doki Universe so I suspect they will), it'd be pretty simple to just swap out different parts while reusing the same animations.

terrisus

Toejam and Earl is, bar none, the greatest cooperative multiplayer game ever.

I am so all over this =)

I love Kickstarter <3

Krejlooc

Banned
The 2nd clip of the game they were making for xbox I would love if they made that game with high res graphics and the what not.

I am not feeling this look of the game they want to make.

The game they were making at the time was actually for the Dreamcast, not the Xbox. That beta has leaked online and can be played on a retail dreamcast. It indeed is much more like the original.

Krejlooc

Banned
Sega owns the assets to the first two games, devs kept the IP. I don't know how they managed it either.

Sega did lots of wacky deals back in the day, it was pretty awesome for getting fringe talent. That's how they became so close to Westone and Treasure, actually, albeit in reverse situations (sega owned those IPs, they owned the games and assets).

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Trending towards ~1.3m which would be freaking fantastic. By the interview, they are definitely planning xbone, ps4, and wiiu versions but do not want to make those stretch goals.

Turns out shipping costs to the UK are nowhere near as high as I feared. I've gone with the Homey package at $150, and shipping is only $12, which is really low for all the swag you get.

Excited to see this project (hopefully) go all the way!

terrisus

Trending towards ~1.3m which would be freaking fantastic. By the interview, they are definitely planning xbone, ps4, and wiiu versions but do not want to make those stretch goals.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for a WiiU option.
That would be awesome.

Depends which tracking site you're using. Kicktraq currently suggests $1.1m, but Kickspy suggests just under $600k, which I reckon is probably more accurate.

The first and second games (Steam codes) are currently $2 (using coupon B1CYB0-CLSSD1-ARAAGM should hopefully bring it from $2.50 to $2) on GMG right now.

so much childhood memories from playing ToeJam & Earl on Sega. I remember running from the baby cupids as they shot arrows at me saying lalala! lol. I also remember putting the radio on the ground and jaming out with toejam. I hope this eventually comes to consoles.

I wish them every success on this Kickstarter. I hope they didn't shoot themselves in the foot by offering so many physical rewards, I know that can be tough.

I watched an interview with Greg by Sega Nerds on Youtube, and in it he seemed to be aware of the popularity of modern action-roguelikes which I would take to mean Spelunky and Binding of Isaac. While TJ&E has to be its own thing, I think they could gain a lot from the design of those other games, with secrets buried deep, mysteries, and surprising item interactions. People eat that stuff up these days. Regardless I hope they make the game they want to make, and that it's as awesome as the original!

Sciz

Update #5:

Humanature Studios said:
News Flash! New Video of the Prototype!

7HWCnX50eJDKMxu8a5aVkw97JUZ2iQd9-u0fxdB3RVfFFQddF_BFSZ-ZJVaklop6q63AFD6iJOINAmOZXhFLqqyy39I9_1885ll5Yy13zV4vT1bPvXeqbYZ02HzMYQIEkJuFl8_L96kWV5IDyaiV4QhT04X6g9OzjEw7=s0-d-e1-ft

We have just added a NEW video to the Kick Start page that shows more footage of our prototype. PLEASE keep in mind that his is all VERY early and under construction.

We appreciate all of the feedback we’re getting about the look of the world and will be continuing to experiment with this. By all means, keep the feedback coming.

(Thanks to F1NG3RS for the use of his instrumentation of "Alien Breakdown" In this demo)
http://youtu.be/IMcQJfv3DmY

9BD0RVRtE5FZ-KxNXJhT3FSjKg25YFdFn7xHpl5a0d0zwNWS1BRwgOmR9DGZ3baoDwQaKOR9q3u5C2qkAPZ_bWjZ6YHGIA-0b4z9kjA_oK3B0G1jFKuy4V6wSffbhiV4AiSxYiGrsQ6LS6U3yLNL6UdTF0Od4N24D2J6=s0-d-e1-ft

Also, we have a lit-tle favor to ask. Our campaign is doing well, but like most KickStarter campaigns it is experiencing a bit of a dip, and we could use your help in getting the word out to others about it. You may have other channels, but the most convenient one is probably the internet… you can help us out by searching for ToeJam & Earl and posting our KS link into comments, or forums, or wherever you think people might be interested. There are a lot of TJ & E fans out there but getting to them is the trick.

Thanks for ALL of your help so far. If you have any ideas for us on how to improve our campaign and make it more tempting, we’d love to hear it. Just message us.

We also have a SPECIAL surprise in store for you for tomorrow! (Shhhh! Don’t tell)

Q-S87M4TJCqVdyU73fbn-M_qTgzMirMFpyT1OHiljMO48sP-nG951HK2ehWADQ-dlSTFP2tiq4ZZ4FwykgSn8MS_2Rnppv9XbIYKZM5K3RtEMbGiuL0mGAT09w4G4n2_NmFFgsxN2wpOGe_xem3_eoBFc_yv1_7WiOgl=s0-d-e1-ft

$198,287

They are getting close to the half way point, which is encouraging given how much time is left.

I like the music in the prototype, but there are other things that I think ned work. Characters definitely need more animation for walking vertically. The environments could use some improvements. Gameplay doesn't look so bad though. Very true to the original.

Mit-

The 3D assets look soooooo bad. This would be a lot easier for me to back if I was confident these guys were truly capable of making an amazing game. I have fond memories of the series but I'm not sure they have what it takes to make this kind of game worth it in this day and age.

2D stuff looks great.

Shaneus

I hope there's a way we can get the original music in this game. I still occasionally fire up the music in NoiseES on my phone (it's a console music player), it's that damn good.

Wouldn't hate a live version, either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJEnz6k1j_8

(Was going to post a link to the KS on there, but found Greg Johnson's already appeared!)

Gattsu25

Banned
As a citizen of the all digital future I'm a little let down by nearly all tiers containing physical goods.

Edit: Backed at the $60 tier.

mattp

The 3D assets look soooooo bad. This would be a lot easier for me to back if I was confident these guys were truly capable of making an amazing game. I have fond memories of the series but I'm not sure they have what it takes to make this kind of game worth it in this day and age.

2D stuff looks great.

they have continually pointed out that this is very very rough and just a prototype

RedToad64

Hopefully the textures are nowhere near final.
The original TJ&E was like a huge, funky treasure hunt with survival elements. I'm worried that these pulled-back camera angles will ruin the point of the game. Obviously, the game is still in early development but this is something that will eventually need to be addressed.

I'm personally not interested in the game but I what to say how impressed I am with this kickstarter. The game look like a great return to form and I think the graphics looks nice. The reward tiers seem super generous with amazing physical rewards. I'm glad to see it supported.

If ever a game I loved was to have a sequel kickstarted this is how I would love it to be done.

WHERE THOSE DOUBTERS AT FROM EARLY IN THE THREAD?!?!

yea baby! almost there

To be fair it has slowed down a lot. It's trending well enough to succeed but really, they won't make it on a couple thousand a day.

And even if it does "succeed" with only 400k, that's not really what they need, they're obviously hoping for more than that.

Camjo-Z

New update, this time regarding the visual style!

OK, so... We've been getting a lot of feedback and suggestions. Many of you have suggested that you feel the 2D sprites and the 3D landscape don't seem unified enough in the prototype we've been showing (which as a reminder is just an early prototype). Some people also said they might prefer a brighter palette that feels more like the original game. Outlines?.... No Outlines. Shadows?....No Shadows. Brighter colors?....more subdued colors. Let us know what you think in the comments below. This game is for the fans... that's you. What do like?

59e16f15a74bdbe2b230743f381bda8a_large.jpg

older screenshot

bd66f9e874acee9fb56c356bc1a8036d_large.jpg

New Concept A: with Shadows

25505d7f482880c516080127178703f4_large.jpg

New Concept B: No Shadows, even brighter pallette

Tone down the shadows just a little bit more and New Concept A is looking fantastic IMO. Hopefully this gets some folks concerned about the look back on board!

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
love how they are so devoted to fan feedback. This is going to be so good. please everyone back!

Poona

Yeah, I really want all ToeJam & earl fans to be aware of this and get on board.

With that said I think the brighter colours in the screenshots chosen there are better than what was originally displayed. It's tj and earl! Colour and funkify that place up! No washed out drab looks for them.

kodecraft

so much childhood memories from playing ToeJam & Earl on Sega. I remember running from the baby cupids as they shot arrows at me saying lalala! lol. I also remember putting the radio on the ground and jaming out with toejam. I hope this eventually comes to consoles.

So much this. I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas the core bundle which came without a game. My parents bought me Toejam and Earl though to go with it. Classic!

This was 1993.

RedToad64

New update, this time regarding the visual style
Tone down the shadows just a little bit more and New Concept A is looking fantastic IMO. Hopefully this gets some folks concerned about the look back on board!

Wow, that middle screenshot looks so much better. Like, it's incredible how much better it looks just by adding a little more color.

GhaleonEB

Backed at $40. The original TJ&E is one of my favorite games, delighted with the approach they are taking with this one. Too much merch on offer, though.

Hope they hit the goal.

Hubble

I am a huge fan of the series and even thought 2 for Sega was pretty good, so I am backing this.

With that said, the pitch video was horrible and cringeworthy. I was so confused about the voice thing for most of the video and that is not what you want to do for a 'pitch'. It is scaring people away.

Also, where's the stretch goals?

I mean I read the quote from the creator saying he felt they were not necessary because he has options to put the game on consoles but come on. Every kickstarter has STRETCH goals meaning there likely not going to happen. Stretch goals are used to energize the project and can help it exceed expectations.

They could not have come up with any?

8d4fae132a512b7d25fcbd3812eaef75_large.jpg

Previous screen shot of Level 0 Hole Scene

vs.

b5c2543a38fa2db143690805f5a35c82_large.jpg

Newer Concept of Level 0 Hole Scene (no shadows, bright palette, heavier outlines)

Hmm... The brighter colours and more pronounced outlines do make a difference here. There's a lot less monochrome going on with the shadow maps in the bottom image too. Though I do kind of like the shadows present, though maybe tones down a bit.

Also...

And YES!!! Fear not! We WILL have the player characters facing different directions when they walk! That was just a prototype things. We don't have those animations done yet.

Sounds great.

I like the music in the prototype, but there are other things that I think ned work. Characters definitely need more animation for walking vertically. The environments could use some improvements. Gameplay doesn't look so bad though. Very true to the original.

At the bottom of the latest update they just posted:

And YES!!! Fear not! We WILL have the player characters facing different directions when they walk! That was just a prototype things. We don't have those animations done yet.

Woo!

Camjo-Z

Also, where's the stretch goals?

I mean I read the quote from the creator saying he felt they were not necessary because he has options to put the game on consoles but come on. Every kickstarter has STRETCH goals meaning there likely not going to happen. Stretch goals are used to energize the project and can help it exceed expectations.

They could not have come up with any?

It seems they've decided to consider it.

5af36acc94862eaccb7cf88579f4355e.png

Top Bottom