• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

Sciz

I missed it Monday, but there's a new, less silly pitch video that's got ToeJam's forward-facing walk cycle.

Update #12

CONSOLE STRETCH GOALS ARE IN THE HOUSE!!!

0d5fdeab29df06faa4981espzx.jpg

Once again we’d like to say: “We Hear You!” It has been our plan all along to build this game for all platforms, but as you know we were holding back from announcing these as stretch goals. We've been getting SO many requests from fans for console stretch goals though; many of these fans want the game for themselves on consoles, and many helpful fans have simply been making suggestions to help entice new backers.

Well, we used GDC (the Game Developer’s Conference) to good advantage, and had a number of conversations with Sony, and Unity, and Humble Bundle and potential porting and distribution partners, and other platform vendors, and we decided to go for it. So now, please help us spread the word. We’re trying to remove all barriers and put the pedal to the metal. Let’s make this thing happen!!!

311fe9ab27514c8eb29d7wsrol.jpg

Also you may notice that we've snuck in one more intermediate stretch goal at the $550K mark to help pull this thing along. If we can get enough bucks we will have some money to get some exciting guest composers to make some music for our game. This is in addition to our main awesome audio guy, Burke Trieschmann, here is are a few guest composers we might get to contribute:

JOHN BAKER, the original composer for TJ & E, and Panic on Funkotron. He’d love to do some new funky tunes for us (note: he still needs to get clearance from his current employer, that’s why it says "provisional").

KAWEHI: You will notice on the ToeJam and Earl Facebook page I have liked only two other pages. Choo Choo Soul (the funky music videos on Disney Jr. starring Genevieve) which is a TJ&E style kid’s show I created and wrote the songs for, and Kawehi. She is a several-times, KickStarted, indie musician who is insanely talented, and she has agreed to do some music for us if we can meet this goal. Check out a link to one of my favorite Kawehi songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qZsM0m9_0E

TONEZP: You will recognize TonezP (also called Tonez The Prince) from our TJ & E music video. He is Funky Fresh.

OTHERS: There is an awesome group in Brazil called The Game Boys, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFmW-ED2CH4 and an AMAZING professional bassist named Cody Wright who is a major TJ&E fan, and some others who have expressed interest. We want the music in this game to be funky awesomeness.

Definitely liking the color palette change and the decision to go more cel shaded. Not liking the thick outlines, but still, color is what this needed. It can't be TJ&E without bold colors, like seriously.

imo the backgrounds in this should be higher resolution versions of the painfully clashing geometric shapes from the elevator load screens in part 1

Cytezan

Those stretch goals are pretty crazy, I'm pretty confident we wont be seeing a Wii U version (it's a shame because I think TJ&E fits the Wii U demographic more than say, XB1).

Backing has slowed up plenty too, at this stage I suppose we should just be grateful if it gets to the 400k.

Zubz

Banned
I know that KickTraq App saw this reaching $1,000,000, but I really doubt this'll hit most of those stretch goals, and I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't reach any of the console ones. Honestly, it's a bit of a shame, because I'd love this game on the Wii U!

Camjo-Z

Those stretch goals are pretty crazy, I'm pretty confident we wont be seeing a Wii U version (it's a shame because I think TJ&E fits the Wii U demographic more than say, XB1).

Backing has slowed up plenty too, at this stage I suppose we should just be grateful if it gets to the 400k.

I'm pushing for the stretch goals, but yeah, let's just hope we get to the base 400k! I might buy a few Steam keys for the original TJ&E games and do a NeoGAF giveaway to raise awareness if we're still not close near the end.

Yeah... no.

A finished game looks better than a prototype screenshot. Who'da thunk?

Het_Nkik

I know that KickTraq App saw this reaching $1,000,000, but I really doubt this'll hit most of those stretch goals, and I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't reach any of the console ones. Honestly, it's a bit of a shame, because I'd love this game on the Wii U!

With how much donations have slowed down, KickTraq currently has it trending towards $534,459. So we'll be lucky if we get the extra characters even really.

Platy

Game Boys !

I saw them live playing that ! =D

It is not only demographic .... but 2 player coop one with each screen (or 5 player coop) would be GLORIOUS options for this game

If it looks like there's a shot at $600k, I'll throw in.

Last I saw, one of the kickstarter tracking sites showed them at about $600k and the other was a little less than that, I think they've got a good shot at it.

They've also said they want to be on as many platforms as possible regardless of the funding, so I think they'll be aiming for those consoles even if they don't reach those goals. I think the main reason for the stretch goals is because a lot of people were incredulous that there weren't any to begin with. It's a response to that, when it was something they were really going to try to do anyway.

I really hope this gets funded, it seems very promising and I love this style of couch co-op gameplay!

Yeah... no.
What's your problem with it? I think it captures the feel and spirit of the first game itself. It may not be flashy, but given the game will be extremely low budget (assuming it even makes it), the look is fine.

Or is it the blue you have problems with?
NHcVnF7.jpg

Cytezan

Game Boys !

I saw them live playing that ! =D

It is not only demographic .... but 2 player coop one with each screen (or 5 player coop) would be GLORIOUS options for this game

Yes! That would be awesome. That and off-tv play would be why i'd prefer to get the Wii-U version over any other.

I'd settle for PS4 though as you still have Vita remote play.

If it ended up as PC only, I'd be a little upset.

lazygecko

I would prefer to have the void of space showing in the background instead of the ocean. I think that's an integral part of the feel of the first game.

Camjo-Z

I would prefer to have the void of space showing in the background instead of the ocean. I think that's an integral part of the feel of the first game.

Apparently this game is going to have a time travel theme, so I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on having a variety of different backgrounds.

IrishNinja

yeah, bummed out this might not see console release either but i'm hopeful...i contributed & bought myself the ship too!

MaLDo

What's your problem with it? I think it captures the feel and spirit of the first game itself. It may not be flashy, but given the game will be extremely low budget (assuming it even makes it), the look is fine.

Let's see

toejam%26earl03.jpg

Genesis version shows a game with an awesome final result both in art style and overall cohesion fitting in a 320x224 resolution limit and using only reduced color palettes.

The kickstarter mockup shows a game without technical limitations producing an horrible result.

That's my problem. Is not possible to reach a comparable result with a low budget? regarding a 320x224 2D genesis game? c'mon. It seems like a drawing work from my 10 years old son and not something from an adult artist.

Camjo-Z

PS4 stretch goal!

tumblr_lxcojfoOtf1qjodrxo1_400.gif

Unfortunately given how the donations have really slowed down I can't see it happening. Gutted.

From what I understand, they intend to put it on as many platforms as possible regardless of the stretch goals (they even want it on 3DS/Vita/tablets), it's just that achieving those goals means they'll arrive on PS4/Xbone/Wii U at the same time as the PC version rather than a long while afterwards.

Cytezan

Let's see

toejam%26earl03.jpg

Genesis version shows a game with an awesome final result both in art style and overall cohesion fitting in a 320x224 resolution limit and using only reduced color palettes.

The kickstarter mockup shows a game without technical limitations producing an horrible result.

That's my problem. Is not possible to reach a comparable result with a low budget? regarding a 320x224 2D genesis game? c'mon. It seems like a drawing work from my 10 years old son and not something from an adult artist.

One is also a finished, released game and the other is an alpha that is no where near completion.

It has been mentioned numerous times that these mockups are not the final product and plenty of changes will be happening during development. The are just showing the kinds of changes they *could* make and how different the game could look if they made those changes.

Nothing is set in stone at this stage.

WITHE1982

From what I understand, they intend to put it on as many platforms as possible regardless of the stretch goals (they even want it on 3DS/Vita/tablets), it's just that achieving those goals means they'll arrive on PS4/Xbone/Wii U at the same time as the PC version rather than a long while afterwards.

Good to hear. I'd just love this to get a console release. People (outside of NeoGAF) really don't seem to appreciate how fantastic the first game was. If this release captures even a tiny amount of that awesomeness then I'll be happy.

I'm gonna pop some more money down on this at the weekend.

I'd also love a Vita version. One of the biggest travesty's was that the PS3 release of T&E wasn't compatible. I'd pay a kings ransom to play the original on a handheld.

MaLDo

One is also a finished, released game and the other is an alpha that is no where near completion.

It has been mentioned numerous times that these mockups are not the final product and plenty of changes will be happening during development. The are just showing the kinds of changes they *could* make and how different the game could look if they made those changes.

Nothing is set in stone at this stage.

Ok. I can't find a reason for an artist to do this kind of flawed mockup with 3d enviroment, textures, effects and animations if he is not proud enough to show it. But again, ok.

Camjo-Z

I can't find a reason for an artist to do this kind of flawed mockup with 3d enviroment, textures, effects and animations if he is not proud enough to show it.

Obviously they are proud enough to show it (which they should be considering the screenshot you're complaining about doesn't even look that bad), and they also had the reasonable expectation that people wouldn't get hung up on early prototype screenshots when they're looking to develop the game for 2 more years. Apparently that's too much to ask though!

MaLDo

Obviously they are proud enough to show it (which they should be considering the screenshot you're complaining about doesn't even look that bad), and they also had the reasonable expectation that people wouldn't get hung up on early prototype screenshots when they're looking to develop the game for 2 more years. Apparently that's too much to ask though!

I think you don't get my point, but I will wait until the game is finished to talk about it again.

ShadowOwl

Even though I don't like the new art style too much I'd love to see this happen. Loeved the original game back in the days.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
still amazing how people are in such deep denial that video games aren't one step away from being final. crowdfunding's been teaching hard lessons every which way.

Read the Game Informer article. I sure hope the donations pickup. :/ I mean, I'd kill for this game just based on the original (one of my all time favorites ever). They've got 10 days to get ~$100K, I'm really hoping they make their goal!

I feel like they launched the Kickstarter before they had a cohesive vision of the game, or at the least, a developed prototype. It wasn't long until after the KS launched that they were making major tweaks to the art style. On one hand, it's great to see how far they've come, but on the other hand, look at how far they've come in just under a month's work, before the funding is even there, while they're trying to get a Kickstarter to succeed. They would have been better off revealing the project first, getting feedback until they were at a stable point, then the Kickstarter.

There's also things like this, from the FAQ listing at the bottom of the page, that have been there since the KS launched:

Will you support controllers for the PC

We intend to look into that (it's on our list) and will if we can.
Last updated: Wed, Feb 25 2015 9:12 PM EDT

It doesn't say anything about DualShocks or specialty controllers (which there are great solutions for now that don't require a lot of thought), it just says they're looking into... PC controllers. They're using Unity, Xbox controller support in Unity for a game like this is incredibly simple. That shouldn't even be a question, let alone an answer as loose as that. I'm sure by now controller support is a shoe-in, but this is the point they were at when this Kickstarter first launched.

I'm also a bit squicked about how even in the revised video they're poopooing publishers, yet one of their interviews or posts (I'm afraid I forget which at this point) was talking about looking for publishers for release on other platforms. Are they going to end up complaining about forced publisher changes again down the line?

The base budget also seems really low. If they barely creep across the line, that could mean bad things for the game if they run out of money. It could mean, surprise, they need to find a publisher! And then the publisher stands in the way of them making the game they want to make, again.

I want them to succeed, even though I'm not a huge TJ&E fan. But I'm worried that they're flying by the seat of their pants, when a successful KS project needs a lot of planning and preparation to end up as a successfully launched product.

Camjo-Z

The base budget also seems really low. If they barely creep across the line, that could mean bad things for the game if they run out of money. It could mean, surprise, they need to find a publisher! And then the publisher stands in the way of them making the game they want to make, again.

I want them to succeed, even though I'm not a huge TJ&E fan. But I'm worried that they're flying by the seat of their pants, when a successful KS project needs a lot of planning and preparation to end up as a successfully launched product.

Under the "risks and challenges" section, you can read this:

I've (Greg) been making games as an independent developer for 34 years now and I've run a studio for a few decades... I'm a big supporter of experimental games, but this isn't one of those games. There's a ton we want to get in, but it's pretty well understood territory. Also, I have a pretty good track record for being on time and on budget for my projects.

What more can he say? Either you accept that they know what they're doing and plan on making a good game with the money they're asking for, or you can continue to be concerned that the budget doesn't match your expectation.

What more can he say? Either you accept that they know what they're doing and plan on making a good game with the money they're asking for, or you can continue to be concerned that the budget doesn't match your expectation.

Doesn't address any of my other concerns, and just because he knows how to budget, doesn't mean the Kickstarter wasn't lowballed to try to hit the goal. It's a big problem lately, because KS is an all-or-nothing platform. Peter Molyneux famously spotlighted that recently.

The budget is not my singular concern. It's just one of several elements that makes me worry about this. My fears may be unfounded, but Kickstarter is a place where you have to pay attention to the nagging concerns.

It will probably end up fine. I hope people get the game they want out of it.

Camjo-Z

Doesn't address any of my other concerns, and just because he knows how to budget, doesn't mean the Kickstarter wasn't lowballed to try to hit the goal. It's a big problem lately, because KS is an all-or-nothing platform. Peter Molyneux famously spotlighted that recently.

Not even a remotely similar situation. Peter Molyneux is notorious for being gaming's biggest liar. Anyone who backed Godus after the stuff he's pulled should have known what they were getting into.

Besides that, your other concerns seem to be your own projections. The PC controller question was asking just that - "will the PC version support controllers". They weren't specifying any specific ones until they looked into it more. The publisher comment was about them talking to guys like Valve and Sony about getting the game on Steam and PS4, not looking for ways to get more funding. And again, the budget seems pretty reasonable for a game that's not wildly ambitious or incredibly difficult to make in terms of the mechanics.

If there's any mistake they've made with this campaign, it's showing such an early prototype to people who aren't used to seeing unfinished games. They spent a lot of time and effort trying to explain to everybody how the final product will look different when they probably should have just used some attractive concept art.

I kind of meant my previous post to be my last one, since I don't want to seem like I'm hating on the KS...

Not even a remotely similar situation. Peter Molyneux is notorious for being gaming's biggest liar. Anyone who backed Godus after the stuff he's pulled should have known what they were getting into.

I said he spotlighted it. If you think he's the only one doing it, you're sadly wrong. Many good-hearted devs do it because they believe, "Well, at least we're sure to get some money, and then we'll figure it out from there."

Besides that, your other concerns seem to be your own projections.

...Yes? I'm just saying it looks low as a final goal, and even if it's technically all that they would need under normal circumstances, KSs traditionally need a buffer, or else they seem to have a bad time partway in.

Also, there's a lot of feelies they're going to have to worry about. Mugs, sweatshirts, vinyl figures, keychains, etc.

The PC controller question was asking just that - "will the PC version support controllers". They weren't specifying any specific ones until they looked into it more.

Okay, no, now you're just going into Defense Mode. It shouldn't BE a question for a game of this sort, let alone one they didn't have a positive answer to.

The publisher comment was about them talking to guys like Valve and Sony about getting the game on Steam and PS4, not looking for ways to get more funding.

I don't think that was the implication. And part of the point of using an external publisher is to offset cost, hence funding, just not directly.

And again, the budget seems pretty reasonable for a game that's not wildly ambitious or incredibly difficult to make in terms of the mechanics.

...No, you're glossing over this way too much.

If there's any mistake they've made with this campaign, it's showing such an early prototype to people who aren't used to seeing unfinished games. They spent a lot of time and effort trying to explain to everybody how the final product will look different when they probably should have just used some attractive concept art.

Oh god. Yes, there are people here that know what prototypes look like. The trouble is that you shouldn't jump onto Kickstarter without a clear direction on the direction of your game. If you're radically changing the look of your prototype mid-KS, then it was probably too early in the project to put it on a crowdfunding platform. But there are plenty of people who understand "graphics not done," don't throw that around as if everyone is ignorant on the matter.

I'm happy and glad TJ&E is making a return but there's no denying that their choice to show off the game so prematurely and early is killing those donations. Visually the game looks pretty terrible and aesthetically weaker than the game's predecessors. They're broadcasting that the game might be low in quality from the visual force (or lack there of) of those screens. If this game looked as beautiful, vibrant, colourful and well produced as TJ&E 1 or Panic in Funkotron those donations would have hit 500K by now and would have led to them storming towards their stretch goals. Imagine something that looked much better than this with a striking, nostalgia inducing and wonderful trailer shown. The donations hit the ground running on the name and name alone. No-one is donating to this because they're impressed with the art which TBH is now causing the donations to slow down.

All the best to them and I sincerely hope they make it. Post-Kickstarter I'd advise them to reboot and restart the game in terms of art direction and production values. The vibe given off by those screens illustrates a game that A) Doesn't look good enough and B) Has now resulted in their campaign slowing down to the point that they might not make it.

Camjo-Z

I said he spotlighted it. If you think he's the only one doing it, you're sadly wrong. Many good-hearted devs do it because they believe, "Well, at least we're sure to get some money, and then we'll figure it out from there." ... I'm just saying it looks low as a final goal, and even if it's technically all that they would need under normal circumstances, KSs traditionally need a buffer, or else they seem to have a bad time partway in.

Of course he's not the only one doing it. Any Kickstarter could secretly be a mess behind the scenes. The thing is, usually people raise their concerns once they're actually given a reason to rather than getting fearful over what-ifs. There haven't been any big red flags here so far. And I'd be a lot more interested in entertaining this if you gave some actual reasoning as to why you think their goal is too low, rather than making vague references to other Kickstarters and repeatedly going "I'm just saying...", "It seems like...", etc.

Also, there's a lot of feelies they're going to have to worry about. Mugs, sweatshirts, vinyl figures, keychains, etc.

"In regards to fulfillment of the items we are working with some really excellent partners, one called Amplifier (in Austin, Texas) and another called Backer Kit. Our goal is to spend our time on the game and not on packaging and shipping. Thankfully we can be pretty hands-off."

I don't think that was the implication. And part of the point of using an external publisher is to offset cost, hence funding, just not directly.

OK, let's say you're right and they take money in exchange for ports. The fact remains that they've pledged to keep this game free of publisher meddling. I guess they could be secretly planning to stab us all in the back later and take more funding in exchange for publisher-mandated alterations to the game, but anyone that unwilling to take people at their word should probably stay away from Kickstarter.

Oh god. Yes, there are people here that know what prototypes look like. The trouble is that you shouldn't jump onto Kickstarter without a clear direction on the direction of your game. If you're radically changing the look of your prototype mid-KS, then it was probably too early in the project to put it on a crowdfunding platform. But there are plenty of people who understand "graphics not done," don't throw that around as if everyone is ignorant on the matter.

They have a clear direction of the game. The overall 90's comic style of the art isn't going anywhere. Fans asked for some small tweaks though, so they obliged. Should they have just said "no, fuck off, this is how it looks"? And no, brightening the color palette and giving everything thicker outlines is not radically changing the look of the game.

goldenpp72

I don't use kickstarter often. Is there a way I can just get the add ons without buying the tiers? They have them priced out but I don't want to buy a PC version of this game.

GRW810

800k for Wii U? Holy shit. No chance of that then. Nintendo should really reach out and get this on their console.

Another update - The "Making Of" video for the ToeJam & Earl Animation by James Farr

They mention an update will be provided every day from here on in.

800k for Wii U? Holy shit. No chance of that then. Nintendo should really reach out and get this on their console.
As with everything else in this Kickstarter, it's not been explained very well.

The stretch goals are to provide simultaneous (or near-simultaneous) release on consoles. If they're not met, they still intend on releasing the game on other consoles after initial PC release, depending on what agreements can be made with the publishers. So, as long as the initial $400k goal is hit, there's still a possibility of it coming to consoles (though, personally, I doubt Wii U will ever see a release).

FAQ where it's explained.

GhaleonEB

So they're 3/4 of the way there with 9 days to go. I'm not sure whether to be optimistic or not. I know there's typically a surge in the last few days, but movement over the past week was very slow.

Camjo-Z

I don't use kickstarter often. Is there a way I can just get the add ons without buying the tiers? They have them priced out but I don't want to buy a PC version of this game.

From what I understand, you just have to be a backer at any level, then add the total cost of the add-ons you want to your pledge. Later on they send out a survey where you can then pick the specific items.

Hubble

I'm happy and glad TJ&E is making a return but there's no denying that their choice to show off the game so prematurely and early is killing those donations. Visually the game looks pretty terrible and aesthetically weaker than the game's predecessors. They're broadcasting that the game might be low in quality from the visual force (or lack there of) of those screens. If this game looked as beautiful, vibrant, colourful and well produced as TJ&E 1 or Panic in Funkotron those donations would have hit 500K by now and would have led to them storming towards their stretch goals. Imagine something that looked much better than this with a striking, nostalgia inducing and wonderful trailer shown. The donations hit the ground running on the name and name alone. No-one is donating to this because they're impressed with the art which TBH is now causing the donations to slow down.

All the best to them and I sincerely hope they make it. Post-Kickstarter I'd advise them to reboot and restart the game in terms of art direction and production values. The vibe given off by those screens illustrates a game that A) Doesn't look good enough and B) Has now resulted in their campaign slowing down to the point that they might not make it.

With 9 days to go, they will make it to $400,000 but I don't think they will make much of their stretch goals because of the reasons you listed.

I agree they seemed to have started the Kickstarter prematurely and the aesthetics leaves much to be desired. On the positive and perhaps most important, the art design in the graphics, logos, symbols, etc., on the kickstarter is amazing, really unique and something that looks like from a high quality movie. They need to integrate that more of that style heavily in the game. I am also worried they plan to release this game this year, which I feel is not enough

Deadstar

They should have created a mockup on what the final look of the product will be. I want to see a space background not blue sky.

I am also worried they plan to release this game this year, which I feel is not enough

They've said multiple times that it will take as long as it takes, they want to spend a lot of time playing the game and iterating and making it better.

They should have created a mockup on what the final look of the product will be. I want to see a space background not blue sky.

They...did? The initial pitch is the mockup. If you don't like blue sky then you tell them you don't like blue sky. They clearly intended for it to have blue sky but they're flexible toward what the fans want.

Top Bottom