• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Comic-Con Bans Men From Cosplaying As Women Characters (Or Not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the character is a man who happens to look like a woman?

latest

reading the source.
"【女装につきまして】
委員会で協議いたしました結果、女装禁止を解除させていただく運びとなりました。
なお、禁止解除に伴いまして、当日のコスプレ登録証の発行を男女色別に設定させていただきます。
it says that they're removing the ban on it, not creating one....

yup. more great journalism by Ashcraft.

Kayhan

reading the source.
"【女装につきまして】

Well, this changes everything.

Literally.

TUSR

Banned
Its quite impressive that the Kotaku article has broken links to the source and even Google Translate provides a rough enough translation on the actual source to say otherwise.

Top notch journalism.

Bishop89

reading the source.
"【女装につきまして】

lol.

Great journalism if thats what it actually is.

reading the source.
"【女装につきまして】

that Ashcraft quality journalism that's always giving kotaku a good name

reading the source.
"【女装につきまして】

They changed it. It did say it was banned yesterday at least.

From Google cache:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...BC%81/+&cd=2&hl=no&ct=clnk&gl=no&client=opera

男性による女装は禁止です

pizzacat

Banned
reading the source.
"【女装につきまして】
hahahaha that's ironic because anime is known for its crossdressing

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
reading the source.
"【女装につきまして】

MZHWosr.gif
loltaku strikes again!

EDIT: Oh, it was amended and did originally say it was banned. Well I'll still chuckle at Kotaku and there's nothing you can do to stop me!

reading the source.
"【女装につきまして】

Yeah.

Reading the source, it seems to me like they're super worried about men dressed as women going into the women's changing area/bathroom and taking pictures haha.

Men dressing as women is no longer banned, but they say you should be prepared to show your ID while entering and leaving the changing areas.

I second this. There's also this article in Japanese, which led me to try google cache. Just to note that the cached page was dated 21 (5 days ago).

Sorry guys, bashing Ashcraft (or ANN's Lynzee Loveridge) isn't justified on this one.

He published the article 3 hours ago though, so sources should have been updated by then. I'll revise my stance if/when the articles get amended.

On the other hand though, I'm skimming through some netizen responses and I'm pretty proud of the people who made a stink of it, and the organizers for taking note. this should be a positive story.

He published the article 3 hours ago though, so sources should have been updated by then. I'll revise my stance if/when the articles get amended.

On the other hand though, I'm skimming through some netizen responses and I'm pretty proud of the people who made a stink of it, and the organizers for taking note. this should be a positive story.

To be fair, he did have a link to the TCC website in his article. And if you click it now, it'll say "404 not found". But if you use googlecache using the exact same link, you'll get a page with the exact words he put on his article (男性の女装は禁止).

He had that link so he at least verified it when making the article.

Another thing to note is that the Japanese article I posted was only published 8 hours ago, which would be around 4pm in Japan.

But eh, whatever. I don't even like Kotaku aside from the occasional good article that gaf links.

mantidor

Yeah.

Reading the source, it seems to me like they're super worried about men dressed as women going into the women's changing area/bathroom and taking pictures haha.

Men dressing as women is no longer banned, but they say you should be prepared to show your ID while entering and leaving the changing areas.

Oh this makes a lot of sense now. Japan does have a problem with that.

To be fair, he did have a link to the TCC website in his article. And if you click it now, it'll say "404 not found".

That's because he managed to mess up the link (by double url encoding it). The correct link has always been http://a4-2011.com/TCC2016/2016/10/21/コスプレ更衣室&大規模クローク完備決定!!!/ :p

They changed that page sometime between last night (GMT time) when I checked it and now. And they've not said anything about when they did it on their Twitter or Facebook at least.

Platy

Yeah.

Oh so it is just transphobic in the USA way, so it is ok

norinrad

This was a preventative measure to avoid those guys who deliberately go as women to do all the wrong sorts of things they usually have no opportunity at doing in other types of settings.

reading the source.
"【女装につきまして】

jagxw8jpg.gif~c200

Jesus Christ.

Oh so it is just transphobic in the USA way, so it is ok

Idk, blame the dudes who are going around sneaking pics. It's a real problem in Japan. There's warnings on the page telling people to get consent before taking pictures, only take pictures in designated photo-allowed areas, not to change anywhere outside of changing areas, etc. They even say not to wear costumes that show too much, mentioning tousatsu (sneaking shots) as the reason.

Platy

The difference is that in a convention in Japan it can actually happen, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it indeed happened and this was the response.

Idk, blame the dudes who are going around sneaking pics. It's a real problem in Japan. There's warnings on the page telling people to get consent before taking pictures, only take pictures in designated photo-allowed areas, not to change anywhere outside of changing areas, etc. They even say not to wear costumes that show too much, mentioning tousatsu (sneaking shots) as the reason.

And you fight the people who do this shit, not do stuff that fucks up people who has nothing to do with it, like the slut shaming and victim blaming stuff you mention.

Put a female police officer on the bathrooms if that is the problem, raise the amount of staff to stop this shit from happening, ban and arrest people who ever begin to do this. Focus on who DOES, not who suffer because of those stuff

And you fight the people who do this shit, not do stuff that fucks up people who has nothing to do with it, like the slut shaming and victim blaming stuff you mention.

Put a female police officer on the bathrooms if that is the problem, raise the amount of staff to stop this shit from happening, ban and arrest people who ever begin to do this. Focus on who DOES, not who suffer because of those stuff

Well take it up with them. I'm just relaying what's on the website, and the reasoning behind it.

Platy

Well take it up with them. I'm just relaying what's on the website, and the reasoning behind it.

I know ... just quoted because you explained more.

It is ALWAYS like this. Cis Men do shit thing because they live in a culture that tells them that they can do this. Try to change the culture and you are "omfg sjw trying to censor my wifus" and "videogames don't make you kill why anime would make you assault?". Try to do anything to stop them and the first thing people do is "stop women of dressing like they want" and "stop trans people of being respected when they pee" ... never actualy focus on the actual people doing the stuff. It is like their rights are more important than the rights of the women (cis and trans) and the trans men being affected =|
Because boys will be boys or some shit sexism like that

Makes me angry

How do you fight the people that covertly put a camera in one of the stalls? Have the female officer pat people down before entering the bathroom like it's the TSA? In Japan, that would cause a bigger stink than this.

In general, the bathroom issue will have a much different conversation in Japan than America. Ever see this Transphobic comic? In America, that's mostly a non-issue boogieman constructed to prevent trans people from getting equal rights for whatever reason (many times religious). In Japan, it's an actual real threat, especially at cons.

And to be clear, I agree with you. Measures need to be taken to ensure equal rights while cutting down on illegal activity. It just so happens that the conversation will have to go a different way as the myths America perpetuated are very real threats in Japan. And while they are making headway over there with some schools allowing students to use whatever bathroom they identify as, it's still going to be a while before they really figured out what to do on a larger scale.

PSqueak

Banned
The rule was stupid anyways, i mean, what would stop people from cosplaying as Kuranosuke from Princess Jellyfish? He's a dude who spends 90% of his screen time in drag, now what? they wouldn't be able to enforce the ban, cause people'd be cosplaying as a male character who just happens to dress like a girl.

Well, now im extremely envious.

Platy

In general, the bathroom issue will have a much different conversation in Japan than America. Ever see this Transphobic comic? In America, that's mostly a non-issue boogieman constructed to prevent trans people from getting equal rights for whatever reason (many times religious). In Japan, it's an actual real threat, especially at cons.

The biggest problem with this comic is that it is sold as "it is ok to make a person be treated as subhuman if it prevents other people from harm". It is exactly the same logic as "don't dress in revealing clothing because people are evil". You don't ban clothing based on how people treat others !
So even if the idea that people do it in japan is 100% true it is still transphobic as shit to ban trans people because of that.

Put lockers and metal detectors on the bathroom entrance if the problem are cameras.

The biggest problem with this comic is that it is sold as "it is ok to make a person be treated as subhuman if it prevents other people from harm". It is exactly the same logic as "don't dress in revealing clothing because people are evil". You don't ban clothing based on how people treat others !
So even if the idea that people do it in japan is 100% true it is still transphobic as shit to ban trans people because of that.

Put lockers and metal detectors on the bathroom entrance if the problem are cameras.

Again, I agree with you. Metal detectors could be a good solution, but the question is would companies be willing to pay for that. Cetainly would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom