• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancys Splinter Cell Classic Trilogy HD for PS3 confirmed (xbox 1 screens)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
V_Ben said:

Thanks. Guess I'm gonna have to do that... I'm so stoked to play these again.

Edit: Haha I'm a moron. Just made EU account but realized there isn't a way for me to buy this shit. Smh. oh well.

SamuraiX-

I just noticed this is gonna be released on the same day as the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus Collection.

lol bad move Ubisoft.

Nizz

Deepo said:
Oh look, UbiSoft has skipped Y-axis inversion in all three titles. I guess they removed it to make room for stereoscopic 3D...

FFS UBI! :(
That's disappointing. I always invert in my games.

Evolved1

How can I buy these games? I don't want to wait for US release. But I can't use my credit card on EU store, or buy EU PSN codes on Amazon. :/

Psykotik

just bought chaos theory from UK PSN.

tried it out in 3D and the cutscenes are extremely choppy. gameplay seems fine so far though.

havent tried it out in 2D yet but i'm hoping it fixes the choppy cutscenes (it'll probably increase the framerate in game too i suppose?)

Evolved1

~Kinggi~ said:
Lol, so these are HD versions of the shitty ps2 versions? No fancy xbox versions? What a joke, and pointless.

They are ports of the PC versions.

SamuraiX-

Seems like all these HD ports are having difficulties with getting the lighting of the originals to transfer over correctly.

Psykotik

framerate is much smoother in 2D than in 3D (as expected)

the cutscenes are still jerky though. it's really distracting.

Psykotik

rewatching the cutscenes on xbox confirms it, cutscenes in chaos theory on PSN run like shit.

edit: wth. the cutscene choppiness seems to have fixed itself somehow. seems to be running fine now. weird.

Stallion Free said:
It did, these are shitty ports. The PC version also ran at 60 fps and higher resolutions.

So, a shitty port and no Y-invert. Awesome.

56oFf.gif

zychi

Banned
Hopefully Steam has a sale on all three of these. I'm not wasting $40 on shitty ports.

The funny thing is, I totally would if it was on xbox for achievements, I just don't care abot trophies.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Totobeni said:
Wooha,so this is another shitty collection from Ubi ( after the awful PoP collection).

smh

Can't speak for the first 2 games but Chaos Theory seems pretty good, 60fps and looks better than a lot of early current gen games.

Didn't realise so many people played with inverted controls. It should be something that is easy to patch but doubt Ubi will.

To make a European psn account, i just need to put in a UK address right? Will a digital psn money card from amazon work if i cash it in for my euro account?

Gamer @ Heart said:
To make a European psn account, i just need to put in a UK address right? Will a digital psn money card from amazon work if i cash it in for my euro account?

You have to buy a PSN card specific for the UK store.

Cudder

Gamer @ Heart said:
Damn. My dream of playing chaos theory today has died.

Go to pcgamesupply.com. Sign up and buy a EU PSN card. If you're a first time customer they will call you for security purposes and then give you the code to download it digitally.

CozMick

Banned
Can't believe the original Splinter Cell still looks beautiful, the lighting, sound and general atmosphere are second to none.

Apart from one instance in the training I have had not a single frame drop, no screen tearing and it all looks amazing in 1080p, and for only £6.

RedSwirl

I was never getting these because I already own Chaos Theory on PC, but this is making me contemplate getting the original Splinter Cell on PC. I only played that game on Gamecube. Worth it?

EDIT: *Watches Videos* Holy crap that opening real time cut scene wasn't in the Gamecube version at all. WTF?

Evolved1

Cudder said:
Go to pcgamesupply.com. Sign up and buy a EU PSN card. If you're a first time customer they will call you for security purposes and then give you the code to download it digitally.

Looks like they only have US PSN cards...

NBtoaster

DF analysis of the PSN versions:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-hd-remasters
The two titles also illustrate dramatically that if the core assets aren't up to scratch, dropping them into an HD environment isn't going to help matters and actually serves to more effectively highlight their shortcomings. With that in mind, it's perhaps no surprise that the more modern Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is by far the most effective game in the trilogy, and the only one we would really consider worth the £8 asking price.
Chaos Theory is definitely a cut above the other games in the remastered trilogy. For starters, it seems to have a much better, more consistent performance level overall than its predecessors - surprising bearing in mind that the engine is such a technological leap over the first two games. Either the game had a lot more care and attention put into it or perhaps elements of the existing PS3 version of Double Agent may have been useful. Alternatively, it may well have just been the case that the existing codebase was easier to work with.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So these shit ports inspired me to take a crack at getting proper AA on the PC version of SC1. Impossible is nothing, ports annihilated.

splintercell2011-08-20r7c0.jpg

splintercell2011-08-20r70w.jpg

splintercell2011-08-20m75z.jpg

splintercell2011-08-206760.jpg

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Hey guys just bought a ps3 today and downloaded chaos theory. It downloaded but when I go to install it it keeps getting stuck on 94%. Is this shit normal? Do I have to redownload?

Top Bottom