• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Hardy to star in Sony's 'Venom', Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) to direct

Wood Man

That was fine. Problem was he had his mask peeled off for over half his lines so whats the point.

I think there was only one line of dialogue of Venom talking without him peeling back his face to see Eric from "That 70's Show." I want to say it's when him and Sandman are talking in the alley.

So if these new films wont be in the MCU, will they have a different Spider-Man to be in their own spider vierse? Bring back Andrew Garfield? It would be fucking confusing to use the same actor if he's in an entirely different universe that's not canon

lbsa

I'm a bit confused as to why they can't make Tom Holland appear in this movie, i mean what's the problem with just having spiderman without any of the avengers being mentioned ?

I'm a bit confused as to why they can't make Tom Holland appear in this movie, i mean what's the problem with just having spiderman without any of the avengers being mentioned ?

They more than likely can. Not having venom is a stylistic choice. They have been talking about doing a Venom movie independent of Spider-Man since before they made the deal with Marvel.

Alienous

I'm sure Marvel Film Studios wants no connection with what'll be going down the Sony over the next few years.

"Oh, Spider-Man's in this one. These are the Avengers ones".

Nope.

So if these new films wont be in the MCU, will they have a different Spider-Man to be in their own spider vierse? Bring back Andrew Garfield? It would be fucking confusing to use the same actor if he's in an entirely different universe that's not canon
Now that's hilarious. Andrew Garfield is never coming back bruv

KodaRuss

I dont really see the problem either. I hope Spider-man is in it but we'll see.

If Spider-man was in this they would have said so.

Movie will almost assuredly be a mistake. Can't wait to see what other Spider-man characters Sony plans on keeping from the MCU for this extended universe junk no one wants.

I like Hardy, so I'm completely fine with this, and I do think Venom has some potential for a film. I must admit I am actually shocked by this news like anyone as well.

Blader

Holland is signed for six movies, and five of those are already accounted for. Odds are he probably wouldn't even be free for this, since he's shooting Infinity War now, will go into Avengers 4 in August, and presumably Homecoming 2 next year.

It might also be that, since Marvel and Sony worked together in casting Holland, his deal might be for joint Marvel-Sony Spider-Man movies, and not exclusively Sony films like Venom.

lbsa

I'm sure Marvel Film Studios wants no connection with what'll be going down the Sony over the next few years.

"Oh, Spider-Man's in this one. These are the Avengers ones".

Nope.

They probably don't,but do they have any say in this? Isn't Spiderman technically only "on loan" at Marvel?

Decado

This is r-rated, right?

If so, cool. I like Tom Hardy. A little unsure about the director, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Mad Max was simply training for this.

QT54HG6.gif

YOOOOOOO

Tom shouldn't take this. Only way I'd watch is if they got Mangold the GOAT.

Basically. And it'll work.

And I hate them so much for it. It's smart, but gotdammit.

Ironically, this might end up hastening Sony's eventual backing out of the deal with Marvel. You know they wanna do it and are just trying to build the property back up again.

poodaddy

Fuck the negativity. I don't give a damn about the cinematic universe and I love me some Venom. Great lead actor plus a proven director = me hype. I couldn't give a shit if this even has Spider Man in the universe to be honest, I just want quality movies and this has potential.

All these whack characters getting movies ( ant man, captain marvel, venom, x men) but yet why the HELL has no one thaught to give Doom a fucking movie in Latveria. Theres like 6 films there by itself.

Fuck the negativity. I don't give a damn about the cinematic universe and I love me some Venom. Great lead actor plus a proven director = me hype. I couldn't give a shit if this even has Spider Man in the universe to be honest, I just want quality movies and this has potential.

Lol quality from sony? The haven't made a good spider related thing since 2004.

Without Spiderman, that's not going to work well as a standalone movie. Agent Venom is the best option here

Group/government captured an alien symbiote, combine with a host to make the ultimate assassin/soldier, soldier goes on missions for them, discovers dark secrets, fights against the group that created him

Added bonus is that soldier loses control of symbiote, letting us get both the enhanced soldier in the first half and unstoppable monster massacring enemies in the second

No superheroes, no superheroics, just a secret agent/spy movie with alien powers and maybe an action/horror vibe

This is honestly the best course of action for an R-rated Venom movie without Spider-Man.

poodaddy

All these whack characters getting movies ( ant man, captain marvel, venom, x men) but yet why the HELL has no one thaught to give Doom a fucking movie in Latveria. Theres like 6 films there by itself.

Lol quality from sony? The haven't made a good spider related thing since 2004.

It doesn't have to be spider related, in fact it will benefit from not being related to Spider Man at all. Make it a horror film about a deranged lunatic with an alien symbiote who has a confusing and sick sense of personal justice. Make the movie what the Spawn movie should of been.

Oh and the bold is....absolute insanity.

Bishop89

Hells yea!

Been waiting forever for this.

Venom is my favourite spidey villain followed closely by carnage.

Tom hardy is a nice get, and of course the man loves venom 😎

Hells yea!

Been waiting forever for this.

Venom is my favourite spidey villain followed closely by carnage.

Tom hardy is a nice get, and of course the man loves venom 😎

Venom isn't good without Spider-Man. He's literally the most edgy character ever.

I'll watch this no doubt, and I skipped ASM.

Pein

Banned
Tom hardy is my fucking guy, I gotta watch this. Hope its something like deadpool and would be nice to see it in MCU. I know its a longshot but if Homecoming breaks the bank sony might beg Marvel to make it happen.

Sony fucking up something related to the Spider Man franchise?

I'm shocked

at least tom hardy is a better fit than fucking topher grace. who thought that was a good idea?

Raimi wanted an "equal" to Maguire's Peter; the inverse of him, so to speak. So a buff, bodybuilder type wasn't going to fit in with Raimi's vision (not to mention the fact that he didn't really have any love or respect for the character in the first place). I could see the rationalization, but Topher Grace is just...ugh.

Top Bottom