• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren - Sony’s PS5 Pro is real and Sony is asking developers to get games ready over the summer, with a push for ray-tracing support

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Don’t give a damn about this machine until they show some fucking GAMES.

If this thing is real then they must have some heavy hitter 1ST party games ready to show very soon

Until then Sony better not try to sell me anything new. Give me a reason to be excited about it

Last edited:

flying_sq

Of course, they won’t hit that reconstruction, but if they’re going for it, why wouldn’t they use it?
Reconstruction at 1440p is already kind of sketchy on the highest DLSS setting, I'm sure CDPR would use FSR, I just wonder if the image would look so bad that it wouldn't be worth it in the end.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Reconstruction at 1440p is already kind of sketchy on the highest DLSS setting, I'm sure CDPR would use FSR, I just wonder if the image would look so bad that it wouldn't be worth it in the end.
They’ll use PSSR, not FSR. DLSS Quality at 1440p is perfectly fine.

IDK, it's extremely hard to run on PC, I have to use DLSS at 1440p using a 3090ti to hit around 30 fps. A 4080 and 3090ti are pretty close in performance, so I would be shocked if they are able to hit that without using an FSR setting that basically destroys the image. Maybe if they target 1080p
Does PSSR include a frame generation component? Or can PSSR work in conjunction with FSR3 frame-gen? If yes, maybe there could be a chance for a decent path tracing experience.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You think Spider-Man 2 or Rift Apart don’t take full advantage of the PS5’s hardware?
No, not yet, especially not Rift Apart when they said that their engine was now the bottleneck with regards to data transfer rate from the SSD. There is more work for them to do and I hope the incentive of it having to run on PC someday are not working against that… but one hopes not…

there is nothing hidden but there is definitely untapped potential. there are like 2 games that are using mesh/primitive shaders this gen. avatar and alan wake 2. both of which came out mere months ago.

90% of the studios so far have released cross gen games which means 90% of the games have not tapped into the cpu improvements, the io improvements, the ssd improvements. the gpu is only one part of the console.

Square Enix devs were clear about leveraging Primitive Shaders on FF7 Rebirth and how it worked really well with the PS5's I/O because they could now load in tons of high polygon geometry.

Yes the game has some visual flaws but it really shines in terms of geometric density.

Mephisto40

karl-pilkington-bullshit.gif

I think the PS5 Pro looks very promising, I think the narrative will always shift to downplay it. I remember during the PS5 launch, we had a lot of people saying "well the PS5 RT is useless because it will only be able to do RT Shadows" or whatever crap. Then we had games like Spiderman come out with beautiful ray-traced reflections and actually improved the game's visuals in a meaningful way rather than some sort of gimmicky implementation.

Now we have the Pro which is offering significantly more ray tracing performance with a much better frame rate and resolution, and I suspect the narrative will change to "but can it do path tracing?". I don't give a shit personally as long as I'm getting a more clean performance mode and maybe with even something like RTGI. In fidelity mode, full ray tracing (GI, Reflections and Shadows) will be an extremely pleasant uplift.

Zathalus

Well, that blurb about PSSR confirms what it is, machine learning temporal upscaler that relies on motion vectors. I know some were pushing other theories, but the ability to slot in to DLSS/FSR basically torpedoes them.

I'm expecting some games at 4k 60fps since xsx does a few games at full 4k at 30fps. any demanding games with the newly pssr tech I would see a 60fps probably running at 1440p with image reconstruction to 4k without loss of quality.. or if a very high graphics settings with RT then I'm atleast expecting 1080p with reconstructed image to 4k

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
We don’t even have a single game that fully takes advantage of the power we currently have. Why do we already need Pro versions?
I'd say Forbidden West pushes the PS5 hard and is probably topping it out, that game has insane levels of detail for an open world, more so than many linear games along with all sorts of incredible effects, sure there's always room for optimization but we're not going to be seeing any drastically better than that on PS5 and that's my issue with the Pro, I'd need to see some serious visual upgrades over FW to even consider buying it.

I don't even think the absolute gods over at Naughty Dog will be able to top FW, they'll easily match it sure but better it visually? Nah can't see it

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, so those first-party devs are incompetent and don’t know how to take advantage of their own hardware?

Nice strawman. No dev, first party or otherwise can take full advantage of a platform their first release. We have been seeing this for decades. That doesn’t mean they are incompetent, just that they need to learn how to use new tools and develop said tools to take advantage of the hardware. Perfect example would be Monolithsofts xenoblade 2 vs 3. Or uncharted 1 vs TLOU.

More time with hardware and a better, deeper understanding of it can produce better results.

Gaiff

Nice strawman. No dev, first party or otherwise can take full advantage of a platform their first release. We have been seeing this for decades. That doesn’t mean they are incompetent, just that they need to learn how to use new tools and develop said tools to take advantage of the hardware. Perfect example would be Monolithsofts xenoblade 2 vs 3. Or uncharted 1 vs TLOU.

More time with hardware and a better, deeper understanding of it can produce better results.
The PS3 was notorious for being hard to develop for and this was over a decade ago so terrible example. Cerny said it took devs 6 months to get up to speed with the PS3’s hardware.

main-qimg-aebe503a593e29907e6c356376ef20ab-lq

main-qimg-ffebc141f5d78a157cd2a681929e1fe0-lq

Killzone Shadowfall and inFAMOUS Second Son were released fairly early into the life of the PS4 and still were some of the best looking games by the end. Same for Ryse on Xbox.

To suggest that games that run ray traced reflections at 60fps at decent resolutions while looking fantastic with some of the best texture work in the business don’t even come close to taking full advantage of the PS5’s hardware is farcical.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I don't think I've ever seen this level of aggressive coverage towards a console that hasn't been announced yet. From Tom Warren to Digital Foundary. It's like they are trying to undercut the announcement as much as possible. It's so bizarre with how matter a fact they are about it.

Last edited:

splattered

This is super cool and all, but I think this may be the generation I finally fully step out of the Playstation ecosystem. I barely play the ps5 and basically never the psvr2. I really don't feel the need to buy multiple consoles for exclusives anymore.

skit_data

Sony will probably wait another month and announce it in the rumored may showcase along with games they have in the pipeline for the upcoming 1,5-2 years. Similar to the PS5 reveal showcase.
Would be sweet if they made some kind of limited Playstation 30th anniversary edition or something.

Caio

PS5 Pro? Sony should just release the PS6 early and beat the competition.
No, it doesn't make sense at all. It's not Sony who must be worried or wondering how to beat the Home Console competition, and this is coming from someone who only owns a XSX.

jumpship

We don’t even have a single game that fully takes advantage of the power we currently have. Why do we already need Pro versions?

The Pro takes care of two of my biggest pet peeves this gen:

Screen space reflections
It does the job fine when it works but the illusion is too easily broken. SSR artifacts are quite distracting in many games for me. Not a total deal breaker but I'd pay top dollar to upgrade it lol. The Pro's 2-4x raytracing boost and the example of adding raytracing to a game mode where non existed before give hope SSR can be removed entirely for raytracing tech instead. I mean it is quite the boost.

60 performance modes
Having the option for 60fps in most games has been great this gen....just a little compromised in many games. Love the smoother gameplay however when switching between modes I hate losing graphical features, less detailed image etc. PSSR seems the perfect answer here. The hardware is there for devs to offer the perfect mode of 4K image quality, full graphical features (including raytracing) while still targeting 60fps. Chef's kiss. Cerny take a bow, take my money I'm sold.

Hope Sony offer devs the tech assistance to patch notable games released within the last 1-2 years with PSSR & RT. Including VR devs having the combined power of Eye-tracked foveated rendering + PSSR + 2-4x raytracing performance. Actually eye-tracked PSSR for VR games sounds a pretty lethal combo.

We're also close to an onslaught of UE5 games coming that will push the consoles really hard.

The PS3 was notorious for being hard to develop for and this was over a decade ago so terrible example. Cerny said it took devs 6 months to get up to speed with the PS3’s hardware.

main-qimg-aebe503a593e29907e6c356376ef20ab-lq

main-qimg-ffebc141f5d78a157cd2a681929e1fe0-lq

Killzone Shadowfall and inFAMOUS Second Son were released fairly early into the life of the PS4 and still were some of the best looking games by the end. Same for Ryse on Xbox.

To suggest that games that run ray traced reflections at 60fps at decent resolutions while looking fantastic with some of the best texture work in the business don’t even come close to taking full advantage of the PS5’s hardware is farcical.

What's more interesting is those Cerny slides refer to "time to triangle", which doesn't mean getting a triangle to run on the screen - but as Cerny put it himself "the time it takes to render what the hardware is theoretically capable of", I'm paraphrasing but it's pretty much what he said.

Less than a month to push the PS5 hardware as attested to by Cerny himself. I think it's not a matter of pushing the metal anymore, more so an issue of developer talent, resources and time.

Shubh_C63

This gen, I am seriously thinking of outright skipping everything and buy a PS6 at year 2.

The remasters alone from PS5 will be worth it.

Gaiff

What's more interesting is those Cerny slides refer to "time to triangle", which doesn't mean getting a triangle to run on the screen - but as Cerny put it himself "the time it takes to render what the hardware is theoretically capable of", I'm paraphrasing but it's pretty much what he said.

Less than a month to push the PS5 hardware as attested to by Cerny himself. I think it's not a matter of pushing the metal anymore, more so an issue of developer talent, resources and time.
Exactly this. I'm just astounded by how much people downplay the time and budget factors. They think developers suddenly learn to do new tricks in sequels because of more familiarity with the hardware when it has a lot more to do with having a larger budget and time since they're able to improve upon what's already there.

Forbidden West for example uses the same base as ZD. Many of the same character models that GG took and enhanced. If they were to start from nothing, it either would have taken a hell of a lot longer for the same result or they would have pushed a lesser product in the same amount of time.

I know everyone loves to gush about Rockstar and how good their games look but these game also take a decade with a budget of $500M to develop. Of course, they'll shit on almost everything out there. It doesn't have much to do with Rockstar being able to take advantage of the hardware better than everyone else.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not even an argument. Crysis runs on the Xbox 360 and PS3, does that mean it didn’t take full advantage of high-end PCs? Games can be scaled down.

Never mind that Rift Apart looks like a PS3 rendition of the game on the Deck.
This is a poor, poor example.

The Steam Deck is basically a ps4/ps4 pro in-between in power

That's a last gen device and it's running rift apart. I'm sorry but I don't think that's properly pushing the hardware if the game can run on a last gen system where the only downgrades are image/graphics quality and loading times.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Keep creating strawman arguments and infantile console wars, kiddo!
How is this a console war? I’m arguing against you making the dubious claims that first-party devs, "don’t even come close to taking full advantage of the PS5’s hardware."

As an argument, you used the PS3 that came out almost 2 decades ago and was infamously difficult to exploit. Games back then generally took 2-3 years to develop and as per Cerny, it took developers up to 12 months to get up to speed with the PS3's hardware. Now, it's less than a month and games take 3-6 years to develop. They have A LOT of time to learn how to use the system.

Your rebuttal was nonsensical. At least use something more recent than the PS3. This is ancient history.

That's a last gen device and it's running rift apart. I'm sorry but I don't think that's properly pushing the hardware if the game can run on a last gen system where the only downgrades are image/graphics quality and loading times.
Huh, so what else did you expect to be downgraded? It also isn't just load times but texture pop-in and the speed of assets streaming during rift sequences.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

So you are saying if someone actually makes a game that truly pushes the PS5 to its limits in no way it could run on anything with weaker hardware no matter the downgrades?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So you are saying if someone actually makes a game that truly pushes the PS5 to its limits in no way it could run on anything with weaker hardware no matter the downgrades?
Well yeah. Because you couldn't make Banjo Kazooie run on a SNES. Even with superfx.

Gaiff

Well yeah. Because you couldn't make Banjo Kazooie run on a SNES. Even with superfx.
This was 25 years ago. The SNES didn't even have a Z-buffer, so of course, it couldn't run 3D games.

Now, though? Besides ray tracing which can be turned off, there is almost nothing that the PS5 can do that a Steam Deck cannot. The PS5 simply does everything much better. Hardware improvements are iterative and have been since the dawn of the PS4. You don't have complete changes like PS2 to PS3 or SNES to N64. It was the same way on PC back then when your GPU without pixel shader 4.0 support couldn't run games that required pixel shader 4.0 and above. This doesn't happen anymore, but this doesn't mean that Cyberpunk 2077 isn't taking full advantage of a modern PCs because it can also run on a GTX 960.

You guys keep using examples from 18-25 years ago as if things didn't change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom