• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4/XB1) is 30 FPS

mephixto

Banned
The game is very unoptimized on PC (or was when I played it). I beat it using a 7970 and the FPS was all over the place. I don't know what settings I used but I did have the hair tech enabled. The frame rate got very very low during the shanty town ambush area. While the game ran at 60 FPS in linear areas. The hair tech really kills the performance big time

Patches and drivers updates have done good I don't remember the game with perfomance this good at launch, at least it seems tress fx have little impact on the framerate

Ultra Tress Fx on @ 90fps - Shanty town
Fl00Z0R.jpg

Ultra Tress Fx off @ 96fps - Shanty town

brerwolfe

So basically, if someone were to repackage an Atari 2600 for you and assuming you've never played one before, you'd be happy to pay full price?

If there was an Atari 2600 game that came out last year, and then they decided to re-release it a year later with some performance/graphical upgrades and I didn't get a chance to play it the first time around despite being really interested.. then yeah, I would pay for that.

More relevant than your dumb attempt, if GTA V re-releases this year for PS4, yes I would repurchase it and enjoy it.

Playing the review build on XB1. Saying "Xbox. Go to Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition" is a mouthful. It doesn't recognize just "Tomb Raider". Is 10 syllables the record? Will Ubisoft make us say "Tom Clancy's...."?

madmackem

Common sense, for one thing. You are seriously misinformed if you think the PS4 could run this game with TressFX enabled at 60fps. Shit ain't magic.

How so common sense, built from the ground up for the system i bet it could. He just flat out said it couldnt which we dont know either way, id say kz looks better than tomb raider does with more on screen in bigger maps on multiplayer and that hits 60 fps regular.

I'm sorry, i got used to the previous generation jumps. You know, the time when each generation had a huge gap. The PS3 didn't have any problem running a late, taxing PS2 game at 60fps and HD graphics (Shadow of the Colossus).

Edit: wrong game :p

It actually did. sotc only ran a very disappointing 720p on ps3. consoles simply aren't the way to go for performance and fidelity. Pick one and if you don't like it there are other options out there.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
How so common sense, built from the ground up for the system i bet it could. He just flat out said it couldnt which we dont know either way, id say kz looks better than tomb raider does with more on screen in bigger maps on multiplayer and that hits 60 fps regular.

It's been explained over and over again how much of a resource hog TressFX is. It doesn't matter if Killzone looks better when you have one effect in Tomb Raider killing the framerate.

Finaika

But Killzone has shitty hair.

SmokyDave

Have you seen the hardware needed to get the original version running at 60FPS?

PS4 has no chance, and that's fair enough. It's a £350 machine.

Bear in mind this is a new version of TressFX. It might not look or thus perform the same. Oh and there's the difference of AMD and NV hardware running it.

No. Ran like shit on AMD-hardware too. Neither a 6870 or a 7870 could handle it above 30fps at all times. Both manufacturers ran well in most cases, but as soon as you came in close to Lara's head the performance dropped like a stone in water.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I was at the same event, the build was PlayStation 4, and the game did indeed look like it was targeting 60fps, though with a number of dips. On average it was well and truly >30.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
PC Ultimate comparisons don't make a lot of sense when taking into consideration engine optimisation for consoles, sampling rate of numerous effects, and what build of TressFX (and thus performance cost) is being used. From memory on PC TressFX was simply on/off. That does not mean the PS4/Xbone build is sampling TressFX at the same rate and complexity just because it's implemented.

It's not a copy/paste PC Ultimate port.

Unlocked Frame rate maybe?

Yes, mostly likely. Capped at 60fps on PlayStation 4.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
PC Ultimate comparisons don't make a lot of sense when taking into consideration engine optimisation for consoles, sampling rate of numerous effects, and what build of TressFX (and thus performance cost) is being used. From memory on PC TressFX was simply on/off. That does not mean the PS4/Xbone build is sampling TressFX at the same rate and complexity just because it's implemented.

It's not a copy/paste PC Ultimate port.

If it is hitting 60fps, I'm looking forward to some TressFX comparisons. This could get really interesting.

UnrealEck

No. Ran like shit on AMD-hardware too. Neither a 6870 or a 7870 could handle it above 30fps at all times. Both manufacturers ran well in most cases, but as soon as you came in close to Lara's head the performance dropped like a stone in water.

I could have sworn AMD cards ran it better. Maybe the performance narrowed after newer drivers.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
What are the odds they lock it down to 30? I'm thrilled it's running at 60 (mostly) but didn't they already say it was going to be 30?

It's certainly strange that it seems to be hitting 60fps at least often enough to notice it but they aren't advertising it as 60. That's basically what CoD and BF4 are doing. Neither of those games are locked at 60fps on any console, but they still advertise it with that framerate.

What are the odds they lock it down to 30? I'm thrilled it's running at 60 (mostly) but didn't they already say it was going to be 30?

Even I'd guess. I hope they give us the option to lock at 30 should we want. Depending on how variable it is, I sometimes find locked 30 preferable.

EatChildren

I really do think it was pretty bloody close to a consistent 60fps on PlayStation 4. And I played it too, so it didn't feel like shitty 100hz motion plus. Control response felt on point for a 60fps game.

hodgy100

TRess FX on the pc really does make it run like a dog, Its hardly a fair comparison especially when the ps4 version is running with a more optimised version of the tressFX tech.

I really do think it was pretty bloody close to a consistent 60fps on PlayStation 4. And I played it too, so it didn't feel like shitty 100hz motion plus. Control response felt on point for a 60fps game.

You I trust. I wonder if we will get official word on this soon.

EatChildren

Disclaimer: I do not recall PR saying it was 60fps, or any FPS for that matter, so please don't take my word as fact. However, as I was playing other games there as well, the Tomb Raider build on PlayStation 4 definitely looked 60fps with slight dips by comparison to other titles on show and my own experience with 60fps titles. If someone were to ask me "What framerate was Tomb Raider HD on PS4 running?" I wouldn't hesitate to say "Targeting and seemingly usually hitting 60fps".

Disclaimer: I do not recall PR saying it was 60fps, or any FPS for that matter, so please don't take my word as fact. However, as I was playing other games there as well, the Tomb Raider build on PlayStation 4 definitely looked 60fps with slight dips by comparison to other titles on show and my own experience with 60fps titles. If someone were to ask me "What framerate was Tomb Raider HD on PS4 running?" I wouldn't hesitate to say "Targeting and seemingly usually hitting 60fps".

Understood, but you aren't the type of person to get this stuff wrong in my experience. Sure, loads of people on GAF misidentify frame rates all the time, but I try to keep tabs of the people that don't. Its not a long list, but you are currently on it.

Currently :p

delta25

Banned
I was at the same event, the build was PlayStation 4, and the game did indeed look like it was targeting 60fps, though with a number of dips. On average it was well and truly >30.

I'm a bit confused, so the target was 60fps but based on various drops throughout they decided to use 30fps as the baseline, meaning the games framerate fluctuates anywhere between 30-60 fps?

EatChildren

I'm a bit confused, so the target was 60fps but based on various drops throughout they decided to use 30fps as the baseline, meaning the games framerate fluctuates anywhere between 30-60 fps?

No, I mean, I don't understand where the reports of "Tomb Raider runs at 30fps" are coming from when having seen and played the PlayStation 4 build today it seemed on average to be far closer if not sitting on 60fps. The framerate is unlocked in the sense that it's not locked 60fps; it did have some dips. But the dips were pretty small of the little I played/saw. I like to think I know a 30fps game when I see it, and this did not look 30fps. It looked 60fps, or very close to.

delta25

Banned
No, I mean, I don't understand where the reports of "Tomb Raider runs at 30fps" are coming from when having seen and played the PlayStation 4 build today it seemed on average to be far closer if not sitting on 60fps. The framerate is unlocked in the sense that it's not locked 60fps; it did have some dips. But the dips were pretty small of the little I played/saw. I like to think I know a 30fps game when I see it, and this did not look 30fps. It looked 60fps, or very close to.

oh wait, so the comment on the FPS wasn't from the devs themselves?

And truth be told I'll give you a lot more credit considering your experience with gaming at 60fps. So this could be good news indeed, granted I'm not much of stickler when it comes to fps so long as its not a slideshow.

Om3ga

I'm sorry, i got used to the previous generation jumps. You know, the time when each generation had a huge gap. The PS3 didn't have any problem running a late, taxing PS2 game at 60fps and HD graphics (Shadow of the Colossus).

Edit: wrong game :p
If we compare apples to apples though, PS3 ran this game at 720p and sub 30fps at times. PS4 is running the game at 1080p and 30fps (locked?) With updated bells and whistles. Which is pretty much the same thing here. The only problem most people have with this game is the $60 price tag.

thelastword

Banned
Ha, just what I suggested earlier in the thread. For the life of me I don't see how this wouldn't run at least close to 60fps on the PS4, even with optimized tressfx on. I guess we shall see how this develops, but the closed nature of the platform should help with general optimization as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Oh snap

Top Bottom