• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4/XB1) is 30 FPS

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yep. This will give the same results as sub 30fps. When the frames hit between 30 and 60, it will cause stuttering thanks a TV's refresh rate. Hopefully, it won't be that bad in Tomb Raider. Hell, COD Ghosts on PS4 was going higher than 60fps and was a stuttering mess.

It depends on what "most of the time" means. If it's like BF4's campaign and smaller player matches, it'll be excellent. If it's like 24 player matches on KZSF I would rather it capped.

puzl

Banned
As long as the unlocked framerate doesn't drop from 60 directly to 30 due to VSYNC (I'm looking at you Contrast) then it's still the superior option to a locked 30fps.

I played the original PC version of Tomb Raider at around 50fps average with D3DOverrider and it's still much, much better than locking it to 30fps. The input lag alone is just awful at that framerate.

Props to the devs for getting the game running with those graphics at 1080p and mostly 60fps. From a technical standpoint alone with TresFX, that's impressive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So who are these PC-elitists in here?

AC4 on PS4 is a rock solid 30 on PS4 and is smoother than every PS4 game with an unlocked frame-rate.

99% of games have an unlocked framerate. Games like AC4 where it virtually never drops (or, more realistically, never ever drops) are super rare. There are almost no 60 fps titles that are "locked" 60 FPS except for maybe some Nintendo games, RAGE, and probably some sports games here and there. Oh, and I guess Forza 5. But all games drop.

We don't know how this one drops. If it is like Battlefield or Call of Duty, I think 60 would be a much more popular option than a locked 30.

99% of games have an unlocked framerate. Games like AC4 where it virtually never drops (or, more realistically, never ever drops) are super rare. There are almost no 60 fps titles that are "locked" 60 FPS except for maybe some Nintendo games, RAGE, and probably some sports games here and there. Oh, and I guess Forza 5. But all games drop.

We don't know how this one drops. If it is like Battlefield or Call of Duty, I think 60 would be a much more popular option than a locked 30.

I agree. If it's 60fps most of the time, and the drops are only to the 45-50 range, that's fine.

The fact that some gaffers noticed drops while at a media event though, has me worried they're far more noticeable than the 45-50 range.

I might actually pick this up earlier now on PS4. I'm not a frame-rate whore as such, but I do understand the benefits of 60fps. Plus the fact that it'll be running at an almost consistent 60fps leads me to the believe that the devs are actually putting some effort into this, rather than it being a cheap and easy port.

Wow. He really does say it. I guess the quote in the OP of this thread is not accurate.

The guy on the stream also asked "are we talking about the PS4 version here", and the PR guy says "yeah" rather awkwardly.

Maybe the PS4 version is 60, and the XB1 version is 30? Just speculating, but the way that conversation went down, and the fact that the PR guy didn't say "XB1 version is the same" when that question came up, makes me think they're not the same.

We've already had a 1080p vs 720 game on next gen consoles, and we may just have our first 30 vs 60 frames per second game now.

iceatcs

The fact that some gaffers noticed drops while at a media event though, has me worried they're far more noticeable than the 45-50 range.

I don't think it is how they noticed. I'm firm to suspect it was because of playing on 60fps sudder then drop 45fps will get more notice on drop than 30 to 15fps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow. He really does say it. I guess the quote in the OP of this thread is not accurate.

The guy on the stream also asked "are we talking about the PS4 version here", and the PR guy says "yeah" rather awkwardly.

Maybe the PS4 version is 60, and the XB1 version is 30? Just speculating, but the way that conversation went down, and the fact that the PR guy didn't say "XB1 version is the same" when that question came up, makes me think they're not the same.

We've already had a 1080p vs 720 game on next gen consoles, and we may just have our first 30 vs 60 frames per second game now.
A 30/60 split would be crazy. Both are probably unlocked with XBO on the lower end.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
But I've been told by Master Race GAF over and over it's a low/mid range PC made from $350 worth of junk parts off the shelves from Best Buy....
Notice how not a single one of the usual suspects saying that stuff has posted in this thread since the 60fps news came out?

I don't think it is how they noticed. I'm firm to suspect it was because of playing on 60fps sudder then drop 45fps will get more notice on drop than 30 to 15fps.

I disagree. Drops from 60 to 45 would only be semi noticeable to a lot of people.

But drops from 30 to 15 are pretty awful, and would be more noticeable IMO.

A 30/60 split would be crazy. Both are probably unlocked with XBO on the lower end.

You're probably right, but if the XB1 version was more often than not closer to 30, they may have just locked that version down. While the PS4 version was closer to 60 most of the time, so they left that version unlocked.

TyrantII

Exact quote @50:35:
Q: Soooo, ah FPS?

A: So looking here this is the PS4 version running at 60FPS. So again, at 1080P. That's awesome for us to be able to showcase, because when you get your hands on it.... You feel it for sure. And when you're looking at it, you're like, yeah, thats badass.

Bonus a second later:

Q: So were talking about the PS4 version here
A: Yup, thats what were talking about...

TyrantII

Notice how not a single one of the usual suspects saying that stuff has posted in this thread since the 60fps news came out?

Talking points are being revised. 120FPS, MSAA and tessellation to be included or GTFO. Didn't you get the memo?

/PC Game as well
//The elitism is suffocating, just game.

Chobel

That would be really really fucked up, not gonna happen, we're talking about a huge shit storm if that happen. They will drop resolution before that happens.

Tux

So who are these PC-elitists in here?

AC4 on PS4 is a rock solid 30 on PS4 and is smoother than every PS4 game with an unlocked frame-rate.

I have nothing to do with PC gaming, and I own all three of the major consoles. I'm just one of those people who believe 60fps should be the priority for developers.

All you have to do is look at the first page of this thread. Not only the 30 bashing but also the "PC is better" comments. Why did this PC-backlash happen? I think it has a lot to do in the way that Square Enix promoted the game as "Definitive." That's inflammatory to PC gamers who have high-end rigs. When more info came out about the PS4 version running at 1080p/30 you'd find thousands of comments on YouTube videos saying something like: "What!? Definitive my ass! I can do 1080p/120 fps on my $500 PC, with my Triple-SpitIce-Lavathunder-SUX9000 on my dual 30" 4K displays! My PC > PS4 Fail Edition is more like it!"

Seriously? The Square Enix developers are doing the best they can with relativity new hardware. The fact that they've achieved 60 (variable) is good news. I think that AC:BF running at a solid 1080p/30 is a great benchmark. I'll reserve judgement into I actually play the new TR to see if it looks and runs better.

Why did this PC-backlash happen? I think it has a lot to do in the way that Square Enix promoted the game as "Definitive."
It's exactly that, along with the dramatic price disparity for someone picking this up on PC vs Console.

But if they got 60fps that changes things. Its a gorgeous looking game, and can only benefit from upping the framerate.

Argyle

Wow. I'm actually thinking of getting this to play through it again at some point.

I played on PC when it came out, but I could either sit in my office to play it on a powerful computer, or I could use my laptop hooked up to the TV. My laptop has a mediocre graphics card so I basically set the laptop at console level graphics at 720p, and was able to play through it at 60-ish frames per second. I think I played 80%+ of the game on the laptop, it just felt better to play it on the comfy couch...

Tagyhag

If it's 60fps on the PS4 then that changes a lot!

$60 is still a complete rip off but now it's a little bit more reasonable.

I can't see the X1 being 30, that would just be too huge of a difference, maybe 60 unlocked, but then why would Amos say 30?

Guess we should wait for an official confirmation.

Tux

It's exactly that, along with the dramatic price disparity for someone picking this up on PC vs PS4.

But if they got 60fps that changes things. Its a gorgeous looking game, and can only benefit from upping the framerate.

Yep. And to them I say, if the new version is so bad, wait 3-6 months and pick up a used copy of TR at, I don't know….$30ish? Next year, $15-$20?

statham

But I've been told by Master Race GAF over and over it's a low/mid range PC made from $350 worth of junk parts off the shelves from Best Buy....
I would like a link to these comments. unless you are making up comments. over and over again, you must have lots of comments and links.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
1/2/3/4/5 thing on those screens above kills me. Maldo, I think they may have just moved those rags around in the ps4 version. You can see that #2 is probably behind #1, and #3 is probably behind the barrel now.

iceatcs

I disagree. Drops from 60 to 45 would only be semi noticeable to a lot of people.

But drops from 30 to 15 are pretty awful, and would be more noticeable IMO.

Sorry then we cannot agree together. I'm on the other side.

Remind that 15fps is likely very rare or short burst, whereas 45fps might be frequently or last longer, unless infamous DS level :p.

I would like a link to these comments. unless you are making up comments. over and over again, you must have lots of comments and links.

I think this poster might be confuse with Nvidia. :p

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Tessellation on rocks looks bad. It's offputting in the same way as motion flow on a scene with violent camera shake.
I wish there was selective tessellation on PC.

TyrantII

Sorry, don't keep links handy to hundreds of drive by comments. You're free to go through all the Pre-launch threads and see them yourself, or look at the PC centric websites (pre launch) that were talking about how "you can build a PS4/XB1 Now with off shelf parts" [fine print: with $900 in parts w/o Windows or a monitor]! Comments on those articles were just as priceless.

Anyways, I don't want to get too off topic as others have already done so in this thread.

These console are pretty powerful, but PC's have always been much more powerful than consoles since at least the PS2 era (and possibly before).... for a price.

statham

Sorry, don't keep links handy to hundreds of drive by comments. You're free to go through all the Pre-launch threads and see them yourself, or look at the PC centric websites (pre launch) that were talking about how "you can build a PS4/XB1 Now with off shelf parts" [fine print: with $900 in parts w/o Windows or a monitor]! Comments on those articles were just as priceless.

Anyways, I don't want to get too off topic as others have already done so in this thread.

These console are pretty powerful, but PC's have always been much more powerful than consoles since at least the PS2 era (and possibly before).... for a price.
well, people get banned for what you just did.

TyrantII

It's funny how better quality the stream was here than the nasty IGN PS4/PS3 comparison. But looking at your screen, you realize how bad the compression still is.

Developers/Publishers really need to start pushing the media to make improvements to their video services. What the point in great IQ and finally being 1080P if Joe on the internet is never going to see the difference, and might be swayed by the trolls purporting no major difference from last gen?

They spend all this money on IQ and tech, and don't have a place to showcase it yet that isn't bitrate starved.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
well, people get banned for what you just did.

And I've seen people get banned for what you just did. Backseat modding is still backseat modding even if it's extremely passive-aggressive.
And I certainly don't maintain a stockpile of links to use as footnotes, either. This isn't a damned term paper.
If you truly haven't seen talk of the new consoles being underpowered then I envy you that.

Top Bottom