• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered |OT| Don't you think you've seen enough?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
tVoHqDP.png

Mj2VaqY.jpg
1HSPyuM.jpg
1L8vNW3.jpg
4FY4mCk.jpg
sYBGalA.jpg
3QOqzu9.jpg
Q5RBq20.jpg
zxG8Rkr.jpg
snqckEx.jpg

PxgCn1e.jpg
QiLsg4e.jpg

a5yUxrc.jpg

rf0X1a0.png

bFpfpKS.png

PbmxmNy.png

bxGYyFL.png

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Woo, nice OP mate!

I played TR2 to death (and Golden Mask), then I got TR3 and never got past the 2nd level lol so thats gonna be all new to me! TR1 I never played really at all, maybe messed around in the PS version at a friends house. I did play a lot of Anniversary though so I kind of know the gist of it, I'm sure I read thats quite different from the og release though.

Tip: Press roll just after jumping forward to spin around in the air and land facing the other way, great when running past an enemy firing so you can keep locked on and shooting. Also when hanging from a ledge/edge, hold walk as you pull yourself up to do a sweet "secret" move.

TGO

I thought it deserved an OT for us to talk about and post our thoughts and impressions and screenshots, etc
Even if it's a very simple OT
Hopefully Aspyr is working on the other games too in the classic series, one can hope
And then maybe move on to the CD Trilogy that'll include that missing Xbox Exclusive DLC from Underworld
pzPTCWP.jpg

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I told myself 'no buying new games this year except for Dragons Dogma 2 and Elden Ring DLC'... Yet here I am, just bought Helldivers 2 and this is tapping me on the shoulder. I fucking loved these games when I was a kid.

Exact same here haha, I got really high at a concert (Roisin Murphy, the queen) for the first time in ages on Tuesday night there and I was hanging out with a bunch of non-gamers after the gig and they convinced me to buy this, Helldivers 2 and something else I've already forgotten what it is, fucking wake up and your console dashboard has like seven (7) extra tiles, saying wtf did I buy.

Plus side is I can bang out a Tomb Raider* in a few nights, at least.

oooh-john-cena.gif

I thought it deserved an OT for us to talk about and post our thoughts and impressions and screenshots, etc
Even if it's a very simple OT
Hopefully Aspyr is working on the other games too in the classic series, one can hope
And then maybe move on to the CD Trilogy that'll include that missing Xbox Exclusive DLC from Underworld

How would you rank Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation vs. the first 3? I never properly played that one either, except once I booted it on a console and I remember it being really terrible looking.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I really enjoyed what I saw so far. I played it very briefly as I still want to finish the other game I'm currently playing, but based on my initial impressions I feel Aspyr done a great work on this. TR Remastered and last year's Quake II Remastered by Nightdive are great examples how these collections of older games should be re-released

TGO

Exact same here haha, I got really high at a concert (Roisin Murphy, the queen) for the first time in ages on Tuesday night there and I was hanging out with a bunch of non-gamers after the gig and they convinced me to buy this, Helldivers 2 and something else I've already forgotten what it is, fucking wake up and your console dashboard has like seven (7) extra tiles, saying wtf did I buy.

Plus side is I can bang out a Tomb Raider* in a few nights, at least.

oooh-john-cena.gif

How would you rank Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation vs. the first 3? I never properly played that one either, except once I booted it on a console and I remember it being really terrible looking.
The Last Revelation is up there with TR1 imo
not keen on how it ended though.
it's been a long time since I've played it so I'm not sure if my opinion would change, but it was graphical the best one and would look fantastic Remastered.
What I love about these is they play like you remember them and look how you would like to remember them.
And the OST sounds fantastic

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The Last Revelation is up there with TR1 imo
not keen on how it ended though.
it's been a long time since I've played it so I'm not sure if my opinion would change, but it was graphical the best one and would look fantastic Remastered.
What I love about these is they play like you remember them and look how you would like to remember them.
And the OST sounds fantastic

Cheers, I remember the ending to TR4 being contentious yeah.

I'm so excited to get stuck into these, I'm probably gonna go mad trying to get all Drsgon statues on TR2 ha. You can freely save anywhere like the PC version right?

TGO

Cheers, I remember the ending to TR4 being contentious yeah.

I'm so excited to get stuck into these, I'm probably gonna go mad trying to get all Drsgon statues on TR2 ha. You can freely save anywhere like the PC version right?
Yes so remember to save!
and once you complete it you unlock a new mode which puts in the PSX Save Crystals for an extra challenge.

Deerock71

Nice OP! This will be my landing spot for any questions from here on out (not that there would be many, I'd reckon). Also, let's see some good photos!

TGO

I remember playing this back in 1996 with Resident Evil and not having a Memory Card 😳
Coming from the 16-Bit Era I didn't realise 😂
But that didn't stop me from completing both of them.
And them two games become ingrained in me
Love those games
A little Comparison
p9nsaQy.jpg
eMew3MG.jpg

Nice OP! This will be my landing spot for any questions from here on out (not that there would be many, I'd reckon). Also, let's see some good photos!
Sure thing that's what it's here for.

Should I put the reboot Tomb Raider series on hold and get this first? I am about 10 hours into the 2013 Tomb Raider. Was going to play all 3.

TGO

Should I put the reboot Tomb Raider series on hold and get this first? I am about 10 hours into the 2013 Tomb Raider. Was going to play all 3.
Never played them before?

Last edited:

TGO

I played some of the very first Tomb Raider way back in the day. All I remember was keyboard only controls and a Raptor that killed me.
I would say yes but your enjoyment will be based on if you can adjust to the controls.
While I can continuously run jump, side flip and back flip in one go to clear an area, some people just find it hard to even jump forward.
If you can then most definitely.
But I do recommend Tank Controls with the D-Pad
Everything is timing and precision with a lot of calculation.
And remember to save!

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That's up to you. You either get great atmospheric level design and a great fun female lead that rewards you for using brain or you get a trilogy of Michael Bay films with a underwhelming mindnumbing protagonist.

In Reboot's defense 2013 and Rise are servicable from a gameplay standpoint. Shadow is a total slog IMO.

I'd personally play Reboot trilogy and then play Remaster afterwards.

And Legend and Underworld are worth a playthrough at least once.

OG TR is a puzzle platformer. Reboot Trilogy is overall a dudebro Third Person Shooter.

Madflavor

It's interesting how in the 25-30 years of this franchise being around, the original games have still not been surpassed when it comes to atmosphere, platforming, ambience, and music. These games were so groundbreaking for the time. It's a shame we'll never see anything like it again. I don't think they could make a game like this in the current gaming climate.

TGO

Playing this using the dpad on the Xbox controller emphasises just how much i hate that plastic clicky bastard. So noisy and horrible feeling.
You can use the Analog Stick, it isn't that bad on PS5 anyway.
But using the D-Pad help you understand how the game is designed and won't let you overdo any moments, if you're your okay with it then use them.
It a lot better then the old Analog Controls on the PSX
Mattyp Mattyp
I'm a subscriber and I don't think I can rename the title anyway.

Last edited:

thatJohann

They really gotta patch this shit lightning in the remastered graphics. Who thought this looked okay? It’s so dark most of the time. Terrible.

11PtIcQ.jpg
RyQTTIV.jpg

Last edited:
Do I get any of the new gamepad controls with the old games If I have them already? Or is that a feature of this new remaster only?

Searching my Steam Library I must have bought all the Tomb Raider games in a package during a sale years ago, but never touched them.
1-3
Adventures of Lara Croft
Last Revelation
Chronicles
Angel of Darkness
Anniversary
Legend
Underworld

And I have the reboots on Epic Store
Tomb Raider 2013
Rise
Shadow

Deerock71

You can use the Analog Stick, it isn't that bad on PS5 anyway.
But using the D-Pad help you understand how the game is designed and won't let you overdo any moments, if you're your okay with it then use them.
It a lot better then the old Analog Controls on the PSX
Mattyp Mattyp
I'm a subscriber and I don't think I can rename the title anyway.
This is actually one area where the four buttons on the joycons shine. I almost prefer them to the d-pad on my pro controller. I'm sure I'll be in the minority on that one.

Last edited:

Sephimoth

Feel like the Colliseum is too light compared to original because of the open skybox. Would have prefered if there was a night skybox instead and just a little moonlight shining in.

tommib

It's interesting how in the 25-30 years of this franchise being around, the original games have still not been surpassed when it comes to atmosphere, platforming, ambience, and music. These games were so groundbreaking for the time. It's a shame we'll never see anything like it again. I don't think they could make a game like this in the current gaming climate.
Tomb Raider 1996 is a GOAT. Unparalleled. And the controls are perfect still.

TGO

They really gotta patch this shit lightning in the remastered graphics. Who thought this looked okay? It’s so dark most of the time. Terrible.

11PtIcQ.jpg
RyQTTIV.jpg
Yeah it really shouldn't look like that, I haven't seen anything that dark
what platform is this?
The Classic Version is overly bright to begin with but the Remastered isn't that dark, on PS5 anyway
ACXwlOI.jpg
GEYtdut.jpg

Last edited:

Gudji

Will pick up once it drops in price. I'm really really really hoping the new TR game in UE5 will take inspiration from these original titles.

Gudji

I wouldn’t bet on it. My gut feeling is the new tomb raider will be heavily inspired by Horizon.

I know. And now you want to kill yourself. Me too.
Yeah could be. I do like horizon but would still prefer a more classic approach. :messenger_beaming:

Ahh yeah thanks for the OT TGO TGO

Tomb Raider is the reason i game, if i wouldn't have these remasters i would be playing TRLE's because there is nothing else in the industry
that comes close to the satisfaction of mastering tomb raider games. - Top Level design - Top Controls - Top interaction with environment

What it does not have however is: Handholding - Controls that are modern and babied down to fit a modern audience -
It won't help you if you get stuck, there is no easier setting, and you better find those secrets or else be behind in ressources later in the game.

It will challenge you labyrinthin senses , it will challenge your patience and it will challenge your wisdom.
But reward you with unparalleled sense of freedom and exploration the slow gameplay will make you really appreciate graphics and search high and low for the next items.
The game is Timeless - Immersive - Creative - Unique - Methodical.

Here's to Classic tomb raider and lets get rid of the auto jumping games. "like that last bit is gonna happen hahaha i hope they will coexist perhaps"

Last edited:

TGO

We all know this room is dark
ZUMoITK.jpg
YmzoIQZ.jpg

but as you can see, not as much on the Remaster

Alex11

Nice OT, this really deserved one.

Playing it really takes me back in the day, the first one was my first game on the PS1 and I was in awe.
Such a breath of fresh air is this remaster, no hand holding, no painted road, no fucking fairies telling me where to go, no repeating stuff from the main character like "I need to do this" and "I need to go there", no, you should shut the fuck up and let me play.
The graphics are perfect, just enough to make it interesting and more modern and not too much as to deviate from the intended look.
I also like the modern controls, I know, blasphemy, but to a point, and this is where my 2 main gripes are:
1 - The camera in the modern controls is sometimes horrendous, especially in tight places, many deaths are from when the camera just freaks out and so I save like a lunatic.
2 - I mentioned the perfect graphics, but there is some issue and the new 3d items, some are very hard to spot, I often switch to classic mode.

Really hope they to a remaster for TR The Last Revelation, even Chronicles for that matter, I don't mind it so much.

Screenshot-15333.png

Screenshot-15339.png

simpatico

How far in do I have to go to get to the slurs and stereotypes? I don't remember them from my OG playthroughs. Am I the only one who's first experience with Tomb Raider was on Dreamcast?

Top Bottom