• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered |OT| Don't you think you've seen enough?

Maddoxswe

Good patch so far, modern controls are greatly improved, the camera doesn't go crazy anymore, at least for 2 hours that I tried the patch in all 3 games.

Also the water textures above and under are improved, also seen some lighting improvements.
So they did som fixes on modern controls even though it isn't mentioned in the patch notes ?

have you tried if it's easier to do a long jump now ? Before it was hard to position as you couldn't do a back-jump.

Every time you ask about it, the counter resets to Two More Weeks
Steve Harvey Judge GIF by ABC Network

Alex11

So they did som fixes on modern controls even though it isn't mentioned in the patch notes ?
Yeah, don't know why it isn't mentioned.
have you tried if it's easier to do a long jump now ? Before it was hard to position as you couldn't do a back-jump.
Never really had trouble with modern controls and long jumps before, but I think that when you press the jump button it's a bit quicker, I'm not exactly sure about this.
In any case, movement is more fluid, so is the combat, when you're targeting enemies, she automatically turns to follow them. And if you turn Lara facing you, when you draw the weapons she turns to where the camera is pointing.

And the movement underwater is a bit different now, don't know exactly if better or worse.

Also, if you roll with modern controls the camera automatically swaps behind her.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wow I can actually see keys now on ps5 after the patch. Will be resuming my playthrough. Almost done with Greece in TR1.

Alpha Male

For those using modern controls....how the hell do you backflip while sliding down an incline?

There was one part at the end of TR1 and another one or two in TR2 where I had to change the controls to Tank because I couldn't figure out how to back flip while sliding. Both times I saved and reloaded at those spots around 25 times and both spots I was only able to pull off a back flip once each. I tried every button combo: Guns out, holding or tapping the run and hold buttons while jumping, guns not out, tapping jump button, holding the jump button, etc...

Last edited:

Alex11

For those using modern controls....how the hell do you backflip while sliding down an incline?

There was one part at the end of TR1 and another one or two in TR2 where I had to change the controls to Tank because I couldn't figure out how to back flip while sliding. Both times I saved and reloaded at those spots around 25 times and both spots I was only able to pull off a back flip once each. I tried every button combo: Guns out, holding or tapping the run and hold buttons while jumping, guns not out, tapping jump button, holding the jump button, etc...
Just simply pressing jump, I had few problems mainly pressing too early or too late and there were rare ocassions when she wouldn't jump at all, but a reload fixed the issue, it's frustrating if you're only doing a limited save run.

But it may be fixed now with the patch, didn't notice it anymore.

emivita

Woke message at the start of the game is gone, for those who cared.

Also I noticed in TR3 you can sprint roll by pressing L2+R2 which is a really cool addition and was only available in TR Chronicles back then. And you can also flip out from crawl spaces!

Last edited:

Alex11

Also I noticed in TR3 you can sprint roll by pressing L2+R2 which is a really cool addition and was only available in TR Chronicles back then. And you can also flip out from crawl spaces!
Yeah, these are very nice additions, the flip from crawl spaces I noticed it in TR2 as well.

emivita

They restored the deleted cutscene when you get jailed in Nevada in TR3. I know it is nothing major, but this is gold for a TR3 super fan like me and really wasn't expecting that.

TR3 was and still is my favourite TR game. Sometimes it feels like TR2 level designers got drunk and designed TR3 levels, and it feels good.

Last night I finished TR 1. It was a blast to go through it especially realizing that as a kid as much memory as I have about the game and consider that I "played" it...I actually never went past the first 4-5 levels. So this was all new to me and those two Atlantis levels are just bonkers lol. Now, my biggest nostalgia is for TR2 so I decided to boot it up immediately just to see the difference and boy...that first level is so brutal compared to TR1 opening levels. I mean its normal for a TR veteran but for someone just getting into TR, the amount of traps in such a short time span and short level is really high. Its like Dark Souls of TR XD.

Anyway I cant wait to finish the other two games. Im glad they kept the original graphics mode too because honestly, if it wasnt for the going back n forth switch, the remastered version there was plenty of areas where I just couldnt see shit how dark they made it. I literally missed levers or key holes because they were not visible at all in some corners.

Sub_Level

Last night I finished TR 1. It was a blast to go through it especially realizing that as a kid as much memory as I have about the game and consider that I "played" it...I actually never went past the first 4-5 levels. So this was all new to me and those two Atlantis levels are just bonkers lol. Now, my biggest nostalgia is for TR2 so I decided to boot it up immediately just to see the difference and boy...that first level is so brutal compared to TR1 opening levels. I mean its normal for a TR veteran but for someone just getting into TR, the amount of traps in such a short time span and short level is really high. Its like Dark Souls of TR XD.

Anyway I cant wait to finish the other two games. Im glad they kept the original graphics mode too because honestly, if it wasnt for the going back n forth switch, the remastered version there was plenty of areas where I just couldnt see shit how dark they made it. I literally missed levers or key holes because they were not visible at all in some corners.

I am so glad you enjoyed TR1. Its a stone cold classic. Even if you played as a generic dudebro instead of the sexy and iconic Lara it would still be a brilliant game.

However I must warn you. TR3 is sadistic & cruel in its difficulty. The opening level of TR2 is crazy, yes, but TR3 is even more mean and its like that for the whole game.

Deerock71

Didn't care enough to not purchase, but care enough to say FUGG THE WOKED!!!

alf717

So what happened with the EGS OG content with this new patch? Was all the content put back or scrapped?

I am so glad you enjoyed TR1. Its a stone cold classic. Even if you played as a generic dudebro instead of the sexy and iconic Lara it would still be a brilliant game.

However I must warn you. TR3 is sadistic & cruel in its difficulty. The opening level of TR2 is crazy, yes, but TR3 is even more mean and its like that for the whole game.

Explains why i quit that game so fast back in the day and have no fond memories of it lol. Recently i keep seeing ranking TR games on YT and a lot of people put TR3 as top tier. My experience was totally opposite, thought the levels looked uglier but it could be because it was so damn hard too.

Field

I’m near the end of TR2 now. In beginning I was disappointed after loving TR1. Venice and oil rig/ship levels were kinda boring locations for me to both play through and how they look with ton of human enemies. But I’ve been enjoying the second half of the game so much more.

Sub_Level

I’m near the end of TR2 now. In beginning I was disappointed after loving TR1. Venice and oil rig/ship levels were kinda boring locations for me to both play through and how they look with ton of human enemies. But I’ve been enjoying the second half of the game so much more.

Yeah Floating Islands is prolly my fav overall level in the series.

Explains why i quit that game so fast back in the day and have no fond memories of it lol. Recently i keep seeing ranking TR games on YT and a lot of people put TR3 as top tier. My experience was totally opposite, thought the levels looked uglier but it could be because it was so damn hard too.
Definitely not ugly in this remaster, TR3 is absolutely gorgeous. As for the rankings, it is favorite among the hardcore portion of the fanbase, alongside TR4. But if you just wanna play a game to chill and have fun then TR3 and TR4 are not quite that lol

Thats the hardest level in the entire trilogy. The rest of TR3 isn’t “easy” but it never gets to that level of insanity again. Good luck.
Eventually i skipped it… Didn't want to sour my experience after playing several weeks. Will play it someday with the expansions but for now, the games are completed.
I think part 1 is the best. It captures the sense of loneliness and discovery the best. Part two i played multiple times over the past 25 years and there are just too many goons and modern locations. Same goes for part III though the amount of goons is toned down. Really liked the jungle levels.
O, and Lara is basically a psychotic murderer.

After replaying TR2...those Tibete levels and Temple of Xian are just perfection.
The game had much more variety than TR1.

Honestly the temple in tibete is basically St Francis Folly but bigger and better.

No wonder this team was crunching like hell...imagine making TR2 in less than a year after releasing TR1. It was a bigger game in every way and they still managed to give us that second half of the game and early levels like Venice.

That said...i tried to play Unfinished Business and now Golden Mask and my god...what happened? Was this done by the b team or something? Level design is nowhere near as good. Unfinished Business is enemies everywhere...i actually gave up on both, lmao.

Started TR3. That mansion is the best one tbh. I'm scared of that gamr though. I remember hating it back then.

Last edited:

Alex11

After replaying TR2...those Tibete levels and Temple of Xian are just perfection.

Honestly the temple in tibete is basically St Francis Folly but bigger and better.

No wonder this team was crunching like hell...imagine making TR2 in less than a year after releasing TR1. It was a bigger game in every way and they still managed to give us that second half of the game and early levels like Venice.
Yeah, that Temple of Xian is just pure Tomb Raider, it's amazing, full of different traps and challenges, it may be, objectively, the best TR level ever.

Watched recently a documentary about the troubled development of TR, had no idea how little time they had between the games starting with TR2, imagine if they had a bit more time what could they have done with TR2, hell with all of them that followed.
Started TR3. That mansion is the best one tbh. I'm scared of that gamr though. I remember hating it back then.
Currently playing it, and I have to say, at this time after the India and Nevada locations for me it's a better game than TR2 on the same stage.

Because of this remaster, i'm craving for PS1 games now… for me still the best generation/console. Sadly unable to play PS1 games on the PS5, otherwise i would buy the Portal in an instant.

Its mad. I mean obviously it take way longer and more people to make a game today but if the games were succesfull, so many games at the time were coming out annualy and for years they held a high standard. Just the amount of ideas and changes never felt like you are playing the same game, it was always bigger. Same goes for the early NFS titles. Now NFS comes out once in 3 years and its always average at best, no soul.

Last edited:

emivita

That said...i tried to play Unfinished Business and now Golden Mask and my god...what happened? Was this done by the b team or something? Level design is nowhere near as good. Unfinished Business is enemies everywhere...i actually gave up on both, lmao

On the other side, TR3 The Lost Artefact levels are some of the best in the series IMO.

The newest patch does address some graphical issues and I noticed that the camera seems better too. I think overall, it looks better.

This is me replaying the first game in NG+ mode.
6YCSNNq.png

One of my bigger complaints with this collection are the gamepad controls. With Tomb Raider 1, there were independent left and right strafe buttons and walk was its' own separate button.
TRII, they added the flare button and made left and right strafe a single button. But TR1, TR2 and TR3 in this collection all use the TR3-TR4 control scheme. Which means single button for walk/ strafe left and right. Select+ R button for flares.
Maybe this is because all three games use the same enhanced 'Classic TR' game engine? Turn flip being in TR1 (kinda like adding a spindash to sonic 1), other QoL features.

When I started Tomb Raider II, it took me few moments to try figure out how to throw a flare. I had to use the TRIII manual to figure out how. The controls still work. I think they would be suited for the Switch. But it would've been nice to have the re-mapping or toggling option for TRI and TRII. But keep it as is for the default controls.

Last edited:

BigLee74

You can draw flares without going into the menu? Grrr. I’ve been hating dark areas because it was such a chore to get a flare out.

I now feel stupid!

(...)

Anyway, imo the renders are amazing, and I think it's the best model ever, even if it's stylized.

Great modern reinterpretation of the OG design. I would pay good money if this was the Lara who returned back to the gaming screen in the next installment.

Last edited:
You can draw flares without going into the menu? Grrr. I’ve been hating dark areas because it was such a chore to get a flare out.

I now feel stupid!

Yeah, I didn't know I could do this either until I looked at the Tomb Raider 3 controls. The gamepad controls for TR1 and TR2 both use the TR3+ layout. In the original Tomb Raider 2, flare was a single button. But here, you have to use select + R1, like TR3.

It's like the devs at Aspyr exported all game content from TR1, TR2 and TR3 to a version of the TR engine that could support the later games like Chronicles and The Last Revelations. Playing TR1 in this collection, it feels like a slightly 'amped up' version of the game.

The first version of TR1 I ever played was on the Sega Saturn way back in the day. I also have a copy of the DOS version on DISC as well as on GOG and Steam. I think I bought the first Tomb Raider like 4-5 times total in my life.

Last edited:
The sunken ship levels in TR2 are stressing me the fuck out, jesus. The soundtrack and visual design is like halfway to Silent Hill and the underwater segments get pretty complex while that air is going down.

Scared Oh No GIF by Film Riot

emivita

A remixed version of this plays during TR3 final boss, there was no music in the original. I loved it as an easter egg.

Can't wait for TR4 (possibly + 5) remastered soon.

Alex11

Great modern reinterpretation of the OG design. I would pay good money if this was the Lara who returned back to the gaming screen in the next installment.
Me too, but maybe we`ll be getting TR4 and even more of an maybe with TR5.
So I think that's the extent of this model of Lara, as unfortunately, there no appeal to the larger audience with this style of game, no hand holding, no open world, low key puzzles.

TR has a new direction, of bombastic set pieces and cutscenes on top of cutscenes, which must have realistic graphics and little to none logic thinking.

too, but maybe we`ll be getting TR4 and even more of an maybe with TR5.

I have heard reports that this collection has sold really well across the boards overall. So, maybe a TR4 and TR5 collection seems likely. TR1-TR5 are the 5th gen era of Tomb Raider games.

Tomb Raider 1 was designed with the Sega Saturn as the lead console, despite it being always a multi-platform game. Tomb Raider 2 and Tomb Raider 3 were console exclusive to the PS1, the PS1 was the lead development console from TR2 to TR5. LOD was when the series went 6th gen.

Aspyr did the Mac ports for the first six PC releases. The Mac ports of TR1, TR2 and TR3 were all based on the PC Gold editions. This TR 1-3 Collection are built from those Mac source codes. As I said above, I feel like this collection is using some sort of unified classic TR engine based on TLR or something. Even looking at the install files, seems to suggest this.

I would be surprised if there was a TRC, TRTLR and AOD three pack. But generally, 1-3 are usually bundled as a three pack, Chronicles and The Last Revelation are generally bundled together and AOD is generally sold desperately. AOD looks like it would be a pretty big project on its own.

I think this rem,aster collection is good for retail. But could've had more polish on release. The patch does seem to have what the EGS version featured by mistake, I haven't tried to enable any filtering for classic mode. It seems like some of the poses are missing. But they did say that the EGS version was an accidental developer build. That is their official statement. The game looks better in spots in the patch.

Top Bottom