• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered |OT| Don't you think you've seen enough?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
GHhHGpdWIAUXuKP
So the Epic version is gonna get pulled and updated to be like the other versions...
Or is this bullshit and they're update the other versions to make the EGS version and just didn't want to admit they release a newer version that'll release in weeks to one store front

Alex11

So the Epic version is gonna get pulled and updated to be like the other versions...
Or is this bullshit and they're update the other versions to make the EGS version and just didn't want to admit they release a newer version that'll release in weeks to one store front
It appears so, which is weird as fuck, as in we've all seen the comparison videos, and we can clearly see that the incomplete assets they're talking about look better on Epic than the Steam build.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Is this real Life ? the EGS version is the outdated one here ? LMAO, shit writes itself...

I suppose lying to your customer's face is the norm nowadays.

Man, fuck Aspyr, what absolute hacks, this is - literally - ridiculous.

Last edited:
Nothing like a good Drama to kick tomb raider around right? ,, well Apparently Saber has bought themselves out of Embracer for a 500$ Million deal.
Saber worked on the Remasters and was subsidiary for Aspyr.

Last edited:

Alex11

Is this real Life ? the EGS version is the outdated one here ? LMAO

I suppose lying to your customer's face is the norm nowadays.

Man, fuck Aspyr, what absolute hacks this is - literally - ridiculous
I think this is the norm alright, not to sound ungrateful, but man, fuck if I'm gonna buy another game day 1, if a fairly simple remaster gets treated this way.

Such a fucking shame for this shit to happen to such an iconic video game.

Filben

The Epic GameStore version apparently has a 'newer' build of Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered. People have confirmed that Lara has more poses in photo mode. Plus, the devs have clearly done more work on the HD assets and textures, and adjusted the lighting in spots to make the EGS version look better.
The fuck? Any news on a Steam update?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I think this is the norm alright, not to sound ungrateful, but man, fuck if I'm gonna buy another game day 1, if a fairly simple remaster gets treated this way.

Such a fucking shame for this shit to happen to such an iconic video game.

Man, those steam users ain't having none of that bullshit...

-"And you are trying to convince me that a more polished version of the game is the wrong build?"

-"We nerfed the EGS store version to be inline with the other broken games."
HOL-E-S**T LMFAO!! well it's too late for that as the patch from the COMMUNITY is now out in the wild made from the previous EGS version."

- "How is it incomplete when it's MORE COMPLETE than Steam/GOG builds? Do you think we're idiots"

How the FUCK do these companies think that people are mindless drones I'll never understand, we have video evidence that one version is better than the other but no, according to them it's the complete opposite...

And then there's topics in here saying that this hobby isn't sustainable anymore and that we should be paying more for this shit - cases like THIS is one of the tens of reasons why we shouldn't be doing that.

I knew that this was too good to be true, it's reached GTA trilogy levels of awful in just 2 weeks time...

Absolutely incompetent developers

Last edited:

BigLee74

Bunch of drama queens in here, no?

I’m pretty sure what they are saying is that the epic store version is a ‘work in progress’ build - current dev code - that has been released by accident. What you are seeing will likely end up in the first patch on console/steam versions when they have completed and tested it.

If you can’t live without some extra poses and a few graphical tweaks, park the game for a few weeks.

Man, those steam users ain't having none of that bullshit...

-"And you are trying to convince me that a more polished version of the game is the wrong build?"

-"We nerfed the EGS store version to be inline with the other broken games."
HOL-E-S**T LMFAO!! well it's too late for that as the patch from the COMMUNITY is now out in the wild made from the previous EGS version."

- "How is it incomplete when it's MORE COMPLETE than Steam/GOG builds? Do you think we're idiots"

How the FUCK do these companies think that people are mindless drones I'll never understand, we have video evidence that one version is better than the other but no, according to them it's the complete opposite...

And then there's topics in here saying that this hobby isn't sustainable anymore and that we should be paying more for this shit - cases like THIS is one of the tens of reasons why we shouldn't be doing that.

I knew that this was too good to be true, it's reached GTA trilogy levels of awful in just 2 weeks time...

Absolutely incompetent developers

the sad part is that this remaster collection is actually great, even with the current issues. Most of those issues look like they were addressed in the EGS version. But, the weird radio silence from Aspyr about this release and there was a story about how one of the devs were told to stay quiet on the Tomb Raider forums.

This does seem like a 'oops, we fucked up' moment. Or a secret win for EGS to have the best version at launch. IDK. The press release about the beta on steam. The EGS version does look so much more like what the final release should have been, IMO.

When I first played the Steam version, I felt like this was an incomplete HD asset pack (as someone who has worked on HD texture packs in the past, this wreaks of being incomplete). Looking at the videos here, this one addresses so many of those issues.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If you can’t live without some extra poses and a few graphical tweaks, park the game for a few weeks.
By all accounts the Epic version had less issues even if it's still work in progress (as if the current version isn't?) so the right thing to do would be to update them all to that level and then keep working on it. If it was just a few poses and graphical tweaks as you want to misrepresent an objectively less flawed version it would hardly need testing. That the instances of random painting textures where they don't belond hiding secret areas that would otherwise be visible and various graphical glitches have been fixed are enough to make it a much less annoying/more pleasant experience whether it was on EGS or not, as they didn't sell it as early access. Regardless, at least they've finally acknowledged and communicated the issue to some degree, dunno why you get your panties twisted over folks wanting answers and clarifications over the very real issues they've encountered with their purchase. For all we knew they took the money and ran without letting the small dev team complete their vision for the games, but thankfully the fact it's performing well and there are more classic TR games they probably hope to release in a similar way work against such a possibility.

Last edited:
By all accounts the Epic version had less issues even if it's still work in progress so the right thing to do would be to update them all to that level and then keep working on the patch for all. If it was just a few poses and graphical tweaks as you want to misrepresent an objectively less flawed version it would hardly need testing. Just the instances of random painting textures where they don't belond hiding secret areas that would otherwise be visible and various graphical glitches have been fixed are enough to make it a much less annoying/more pleasant experience whether we saw on EGS or not, as they didn't sell it as early access. Regardless, at least they've finally acknowledged and communicated the issue to some degree, dunno why you get your panties twisted over folks wanting answers and clarifications over the very real issues they've encountered with their purchase.

The HD asset pack is one of the biggest tweaks. Obviously. But people on X have been reporting some notable bugs being fixed. The modern controls are better, the camera has been improved. There is now texture filtering option when playing the classic mode.

Also, the comments for this statement are getting unruly. People are spreading around the EGS files, they can easily replace the Steam files.

No, I haven't downloaded the EGS files. Tempting as it may be.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No, I haven't downloaded the EGS files. Tempting as it may be.
I wouldn't consider that piracy or anything, I just cba. From an initial good impression to finding an issue in every level to this development it certainly soured the experience for me. I'll keep at it after the patch arrives but that taking so long is also less than ideal. I wish they had delayed the game.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It appears so, which is weird as fuck, as in we've all seen the comparison videos, and we can clearly see that the incomplete assets they're talking about look better on Epic than the Steam build.
Unless they mean it's an incomplete build of the new update.
While this is a fuck up, I wouldn't knock Aspyr if those improvements are coming, even if they accidentally released a early build on EGS first

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider that piracy or anything, I just cba. From an initial good impression to finding an issue in every level to this development it certainly soured the experience for me. I'll keep at it after the patch arrives but that taking so long is also less than ideal. I wish they had delayed the game.

The problem is that they had to target the Lara Croft birthday meme of February 14th. Which was also my B-day as well.

I generally do love these ports/ remasters, I think the 'HD' Tomb Raider engine is really nice. The texture and model pack feels incomplete or rushed. It shows in this EGS version.

Last edited:

BigLee74

By all accounts the Epic version had less issues even if it's still work in progress (as if the current version isn't?) so the right thing to do would be to update them all to that level and then keep working on it. If it was just a few poses and graphical tweaks as you want to misrepresent an objectively less flawed version it would hardly need testing. That the instances of random painting textures where they don't belond hiding secret areas that would otherwise be visible and various graphical glitches have been fixed are enough to make it a much less annoying/more pleasant experience whether it was on EGS or not, as they didn't sell it as early access. Regardless, at least they've finally acknowledged and communicated the issue to some degree, dunno why you get your panties twisted over folks wanting answers and clarifications over the very real issues they've encountered with their purchase. For all we knew they took the money and ran without letting the small dev team complete their vision for the games, but thankfully the fact it's performing well and there are more classic TR games they probably hope to release in a similar way work against such a possibility.

Har har. I think you need to reassess exactly who’s getting their panties in a twist here 😂

Alex11

Unless they mean it's an incomplete build of the new update.
While this is a fuck up, I wouldn't knock Aspyr if those improvements are coming, even if they accidentally released a early build on EGS first
Yeah, of course, I`ve mentioned that the remaster has more good than bad, in fact the glitches, camera didn't bother me much, the textures that are misaligned, yeah it's a '96 game, couldn't care less about that.

I knew a patch would eventually turn up, what is bothering me is this 2 builds fiasco, lol, I'm trying hard to remember a similar situation.

I knew a patch would eventually turn up, what is bothering me is this 2 builds fiasco, lol, I'm trying hard to remember a similar situation.

This whole thing is messed up. Because now EGS users who bought the EGS version knowing that it is better than the Steam/ GOG version now get downgraded to the Steam/GOG version. But I hope a patch will bring them all to parity. But they don't expect to patch this for a few weeks? Especially considering how well this version is selling. This just seems like a big mess. Kinda killed my interest on playing TRII until this is sorted out.

Well, shit. Now EGS has the downgraded version. Everybody wins :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It seems like this 'patch' is being held by ransom or some kind. This should have been out days after release. The EGS version feels like an actual version 1.0 release. IDK.

Last edited:
Just got around to playing this. What a blast from the past. Im just amazed how I was even able to play this back in the day with no maps and walkthroughs. As far as the remaster, I dont know is it just me but I constantly keep switching between 2 graphical modes because in the remastered version I sometimes cant see shit nor that there is a gap I can climb. If Im being honest, Id enjoy more to play the original graphics mode but in 60fps.

Took a bit of getting used to the controls, one thing is for sure: This game is unplayable on the thumbstics. D-Pad only. I was just expecting more quality of life improvements liek for example in the second level I had to push a boulder like 10 times to its position. Why couldnt it be a continuous action? Having to holster your weapon in order to collect an item or grab onto things etc. If there is one thing that would of been perfect for this game, its an inclusion of some 3d mini-map. Quake did a great job with that.

Overall I do like it, sounds like im complaining but I am enjoying playing this game again.

EDIT:
im a retard. I just realized in 4th level there is "modern controls" option.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Just got around to playing this. What a blast from the past. Im just amazed how I was even able to play this back in the day with no maps and walkthroughs. As far as the remaster, I dont know is it just me but I constantly keep switching between 2 graphical modes because in the remastered version I sometimes cant see shit nor that there is a gap I can climb. If Im being honest, Id enjoy more to play the original graphics mode but in 60fps.

Took a bit of getting used to the controls, one thing is for sure: This game is unplayable on the thumbstics. D-Pad only. I was just expecting more quality of life improvements liek for example in the second level I had to push a boulder like 10 times to its position. Why couldnt it be a continuous action? Having to holster your weapon in order to collect an item or grab onto things etc. If there is one thing that would of been perfect for this game, its an inclusion of some 3d mini-map. Quake did a great job with that.

Overall I do like it, sounds like im complaining but I am enjoying playing this game again.

EDIT:
im a retard. I just realized in 4th level there is "modern controls" option.
Yeah the remasters make it more difficult to spot some things - many locations are darker, quest items or loot can blend in with the environment and it's easier to miss levers on the walls. The more I play the more often I switch back to check the new area if I didn't miss anything. And despite trying to be quite thorough I often do.

I think the remasters need a specific approach to know what you're getting into. You are getting only remasters of 20+ year old games with new graphics as the only big improvement. TR2&3 should've received full remakes like TR1 back in '07.

Last edited:

cireza

Brightness in this game has me suffering quite a bit. I am constantly moving back and forth between modern and old-school, to help a bit. But then the game goes from 30 to 60 fps and this is quite eye-straining (my eyes aren't as good as they used to be).

I think they failed on this part. Lighting was baked in and often inconsistent in the old games, but it was much easier to see overall. They should have added more sources of light to compensate, because in some places you really can't see shit. And sure, you use flares (and some places were entirely dark in that regard), but still there is an issue here. I also find that water surface is poorly depicted and almost impossible to see.

Otherwise I am pretty far in Tomb Raider II but I am not really having a blast. It is simply not as good as the first one. I have reached a place where there are springs in the ground, and this is another one of the bad ideas they added to this sequel. It feels like they wanted to expand on the first game by adding features, but it was more often a miss than a hit to be frank. Vehicles suck a lot, for example.

Last edited:
Regardless of the rationale, it's clear they released a known incomplete game. They earned two million dollars selling 82000 copies of a game they knew was incomplete and buggy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Regardless of the rationale, it's clear they released a known incomplete game. They earned two million dollars selling 82000 copies of a game they knew was incomplete and buggy.
Considering even a team of 15 could easily cost you well over £100K (pay plus taxes and other costs) that bring you to well over £1 Million in employee costs in a year… £2 Million in gross revenue is not exactly running away with lots of money…

Also, you are exaggerating.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

I know its not the same game but I've been playing Tomb Raider Anniversary and having a good time with it. I just beat the St. Francis Folly level which I was unable to as a kid back when the game came out. Some of the jumps require such precise orientation and timing like the jump you need to do in Damocles room in while wall running it was very frustrating. Does the original trilogy also have these issues?

I have such vivid memories of the original TR. First game I bought with my own cash on the PS1. I always associate it with the Enigma MCMXC album. For some reason it makes me reminisce the ambiance and solitude of the original game. Good times.

Might pick up the remastered version some time soon just for the plat. I see its got well over 50 trophies. Should be a swell time.

Last edited:
On TR3 at the moment… last time i played this was 1999 and skipped the entire London section because didn't like it from te start. Enjoyed India quite a lot.
First of all, in the remastered graphics they turned down the colours quite a bit. The levels are a lot larger then i thought. Currently at Lud's Gate which seems quite daunting.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
On TR3 at the moment… last time i played this was 1999 and skipped the entire London section because didn't like it from te start. Enjoyed India quite a lot.
First of all, in the remastered graphics they turned down the colours quite a bit. The levels are a lot larger then i thought. Currently at Lud's Gate which seems quite daunting.

Thats the hardest level in the entire trilogy. The rest of TR3 isn’t “easy” but it never gets to that level of insanity again. Good luck.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Finally beat TR3. What a journey. Just the "Gold" expansion levels are left. I think I like TR1 and 2 more then 3 if only that the level design has a better flow and is very clear about what switchs and puzzles lead you to.

London and South Pacific Islands were confusing at times.

emivita

Finished TR 1 + 2 and their expansions and had a great time, waiting for the incoming patch before starting TR3. Didn't encounter any issues on PS4 Pro except some glitchy textures and a single soft crash, but any improvement patch is welcome. I know some achievements are bugged too, so hopefully they fix it.

Alex11

Finished TR2, I have some mixed feelings about the 2nd one. I only played it half way back in the day, so I was eager to play this one.

The first level starts really good with the traps and the secret areas, but after this is a bit downhill for me.

Didn't really like The Venice, The Offshore and Sunken Ship levels, it's not the idea of these, but the execution.
I get the idea of doing something different, another kind of tomb, but there were too many levels, one or two in Venice and the same with the ship would have sufficed.
Too many human enemies ruin a bit the mystery and the sense of discovery and isolation.

For me only 2 levels come close to the likes of St. Francis' Folly, Palace Midas, Obelisk of Khamoon, Sanctuary of the Scion or Atlantis, Barkhang Monastery and Temple of Xian.

fatmarco

I've finished the first two games but I'm going to wait on the patch to play Tomb Raider 3. Problem is by the time the patch is out, Dragons Dogma 2 will be out, I'll have the other Stalker games to play, and Diablo IV will be released on gamepass, so there's no time.

Tomb Raider 2 to me was a massive step up over 1, really enjoyed it.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The missing Uzi clip in Atlantis was also added which prevented the completion of the Tomb Cleaner trophy.

intbal

All Games:

• Added missing HD textures
  • Updated textures under ladders to no longer be impacted by camera movement
  • Updated lighting in certain dimly lit areas
  • Resolved textures that would occasionally disappear depending on camera positioning
  • Reworked pickup items in dimly lit locations to be more visible

Tomb Raider I:

• Fixed image sizes so paintings were no longer cropped in Lara’s Home
  • Resolved partial missing door in the Egypt level
  • Updated textures on key pickups to be more visible
  • Updated lava textures to not be transparent when viewed at certain angles

Tomb Raider II:

• Resolved a crash that would occur in the Home Sweet Home level
  • Updated hitbox for spiders in the The Great Wall level
  • Updated misplaced secrets in Golden Mask levels
  • Snowmobile no longer rides backwards when firing in Modern Controls
  • Updated door handles to include proper textures in Diving Area level
  • Updated HD molten gold texture in the Kingdom level
  • Updated snow camouflage in HD mode in The Cold War level

Tomb Raider III:

• Updated quicksand textures in HD mode
  • Waterfall no longer disappears when switching the levels in the control room of Nevada Desert
  • Gem is now visible in the Furnace of the Gods level
  • Secret level All Hallows now triggers properly
  • Skybox details are now visible in HD mode at beginning of Shakespeare Cliff

Top Bottom