• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered |OT| Don't you think you've seen enough?

cireza

Thank you.
No, thank you actually. I have been around here for enough time to know that your opinion is trustworthy, so now I fully know what to expect from II and III. I am a bit sad though :( I guess that by playing on Saturn and then Dreamcast, I actually didn't miss much in the end.

Any opinion on Last Revelation ? It was released on Dreamcast, I only played the beginning but it felt actually pretty good and reminiscent of the very first game. There were some sections with a car, they weren't exactly great, and then I quit a bit later.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
No, thank you actually. I have been around here for enough time to know that your opinion is trustworthy, so now I fully know what to expect from II and III. I am a bit sad though :( I guess that by playing on Saturn and then Dreamcast, I actually didn't miss much in the end.

Any opinion on Last Revelation ? It was released on Dreamcast, I only played the beginning but it felt actually pretty good and reminiscent of the very first game. There were some sections with a car, they weren't exactly great, and then I quit a bit later.
Actually, after TR2 I was so disappointed that I lost interest in the series. I read reviews about TR3 being a bloodbath with limited saves so I never played it. I only returned to TR with the reboot trilogy (and the great Lara Croft co-op games before that, if that counts).

Sorcerer

Actually, after TR2 I was so disappointed that I lost interest in the series. I read reviews about TR3 being a bloodbath with limited saves so I never played it. I only returned to TR with the reboot trilogy (and the great Lara Croft co-op games before that, if that counts).
From what I remember the Playstation version of 3 used saved crystals you found and used when you wanted. The pc version was save anywhere.

JimmyF

I'm really enjoying the games so far, the modern controls are great. Took some time to get adjusted but no longer having to line up jumps is great.
Still it's quite amazing how they made a camera worse than Mario 64 in 2024.

BigLee74

Nearly finished the first one now - on the final level. Impressions:

- Game is still great fun to play. It’s amazing how much I remembered 27 years later.
- Updated textures are fantastic - especially in Egypt. Atlantis is still a confusing mess to look at. It’s amusing to see the texture misaligns and scaling - they didn’t care too much back then in those early 3d worlds.
- Way too dark in spots. Often have to flick to old graphics to see stuff in corners etc. not good.
- Partly due to darkness, partly due to redesign, it’s really hard to see keys/items switches. Do you think I could find that one on Cistern without toggling to the old graphics? Poor redesign choice IMO.
- Levels are a lot smaller and simpler than I remember. Modern games have ruined it for me. I remember Cistern being an absolute nightmare, but seems a skoosh now!
- Big appreciation for Tomb Raider Anniversary after playing this. I played it fairly recently, and it reworked most of these levels superbly.

Loved it overall. Will move straight onto TR2, which I always considered a better game.

Hey all. I bought this collection on the 15th and have been enjoying replaying through the first Tomb Raider Remastered. I think it's an interesting 'remaster' overall. Aspyr used their Mac source codes from the TR Mac ports that they published in the past. The games feel pretty faithful to the original PC games to me.

The HD texture and model pack is a bit of a mixed bag. It looks like they used AI up-scaling for some of the textures. But I think it is serviceable. I like the option to switch to the classic 30fps mode. I also noticed that the game has an anamorphic adjustable aspect ratio. I have tested the game on a 21:9 LG monitor as well as a 4:3 VGA LCD Dell Monitor, CRT VGA monitor, 16:9 monitor as well as 16:10. The game will just adjust to the refresh rate/ aspect ratio and resolution of your monitor without any configuration. Playing the game in classic mode on a 4:3 VGA CRT monitor works well.

I am also using Linux Mint 21.3 and Proton on Steam to run this.
r11eQHf.jpeg
ngiM1wX.png
CnCFmIf.png
nFEguut.png
3Yx4UpP.png
Z8NmOQi.png
IrRoTve.png
hYqsseV.jpeg

SCB3

Finally getting around to this after marathoning Like a Dragon

Omg these tank controls are throwing me hard, so precise in their movement and the 2nd level was hell with them, but I got used to them and manged to 100% the level, its been a long time since I played the original so this should be fun

SCB3

So did a bit more but tested out the Modern controls with a few adjustments, this is much better, however the fucking camera and the way Lara moves from a standstill is horrendous at times

For example, she does a little skip when she moves forward, so many times I've fallen of ledges due to that and the fucking camera spinning violently around causing me to not know which direction Lara is gonna move in

Alex11

So did a bit more but tested out the Modern controls with a few adjustments, this is much better, however the fucking camera and the way Lara moves from a standstill is horrendous at times

For example, she does a little skip when she moves forward, so many times I've fallen of ledges due to that and the fucking camera spinning violently around causing me to not know which direction Lara is gonna move in
Yeah, the camera with Modern controls is psychotic, I heard there's gonna be a patch adjusting it a bit.
But it's acceptable to me, being a game so old and the fact they didn't want to mess too much with the core mechanics.

That being said, I prefer the Modern controls, even if I'm a TR fan and being my first game on the PS back in the day. There are some thing that the Tank controls do better, but just for the simply move around the Modern C. are vastly superior IMO.

SCB3

Yeah, the camera with Modern controls is psychotic, I heard there's gonna be a patch adjusting it a bit.
But it's acceptable to me, being a game so old and the fact they didn't want to mess too much with the core mechanics.

That being said, I prefer the Modern controls, even if I'm a TR fan and being my first game on the PS back in the day. There are some thing that the Tank controls do better, but just for the simply move around the Modern C. are vastly superior IMO.
Oh yea I mean its a game from 1996 with a coat of paint on ffs, I know its limits and have played the Original 5 to death back when I was a kid

I will say though, I do kinda miss this kind smaller tight level design, there isn't really many games been released like the original TR or the Prince of Persia Sand of Time Trilogy with its fun punishing but fair jumping/exploration puzzles

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Beat TR1. Will move on to TR2 soon. I am able to make the modern controls work for me. Like with Tank controls the Modern Controls have a learning curve but once you know how they function you generally don't run into too many issues.

Atmosphere in 1 was phenomenal and I appreciated the need for some critical thinking. Plot while simple I felt was much more impactful then Reboot trilogy. Game was very much more "show" and "don't tell".

This is the type of Tomb Raider we've been missing for almost 20 years. Just Lara and exploring tombs. No nonsense and all action with sass and class along the way.

As far as I'm concerned the cinematic experiences of recent Tomb Raider can go away.

cireza

Made some good progress in Tomb Raider II. I find that the level-design has been a bit better after Venice. There are quite a few cheap death, and the fact that there are so many human enemies makes absolutely no sense, but otherwise it has been pretty solid in that "second" part.

cireza

Currently in a level called The Deck and I found a bug (first time playing the game by the way).

There is a corridor and at some point, it becomes water. You can see the difference with how the lighting in handled. If I get in it, there is no issue and I cannot get out lol.

Tomb-Raider-I-III-Remastered-Starring-Lara-Croft-2024-02-24-12-42-18.png

Tomb-Raider-I-III-Remastered-Starring-Lara-Croft-2024-02-24-12-41-21.png

Levels have become a bit bigger in size and I have to say that the current one feels almost a bit overwhelming. There are many places of interest to keep track of and the layout is always a bit complicated. But all of this is done on purpose, of course.

Last edited:

Alex11

Game was very much more "show" and "don't tell".
This is, IMO, the best type in a game to tell a story, too much exposition and flashbacks and prequels just ruin the mystery.
This is the type of Tomb Raider we've been missing for almost 20 years. Just Lara and exploring tombs. No nonsense and all action with sass and class along the way.

As far as I'm concerned the cinematic experiences of recent Tomb Raider can go away.
One can only hope this will make a comeback, but I think it will remain just wishful thinking.
There is a lively community of classic TR, myself included, but I don't think it's that big for the studio to care too much.

I mean, FFS, 32% completion for the Peru levels, which can be done at a slow as hell pace in 2 hrs.
Capture.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
One can only hope this will make a comeback, but I think it will remain just wishful thinking.
There is a lively community of classic TR, myself included, but I don't think it's that big for the studio to care too much.
This trilogy of games and potentially Revelations should be cherished I think. I don't think we will see games like this for a long time.

Playing through TR2 right now and it's such a step up from the first game in terms of level design.

How the fuck was that team able to create this in a year after the first game i'll never know. Crunch must've been...something for sure.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So apparently the Epic Games Store version is different than the rest somehow:

That's weird... Though unless other areas confirm the suspicion EGS got a newer version of the game I'm not sure I buy it yet, removing the ceiling altogether might both be less work and be considered less faithful to the original than just carving a round opening for the light to come through.

Last edited:
That's weird... Though unless other areas confirm the suspicion EGS got a newer version of the game I'm not sure I buy it yet, removing the ceiling altogether might both be less work and be considered less faithful to the original than just carving a round opening for the light to come through.
The Epic GameStore version apparently has a 'newer' build of Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered. People have confirmed that Lara has more poses in photo mode. Plus, the devs have clearly done more work on the HD assets and textures, and adjusted the lighting in spots to make the EGS version look better.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Xian Temple what a freaggin masterpiece, I never got tired of this level it's just timeless, the design, the puzzles, the traps etc
Fun fact. When I first played TR2, it soon came a moment when I felt I couldn’t do it on my own. It was just too big and confusing, and the loading times on console so frustrating. So I started using a guide.
Fast forward to Temple of Xian. After God knows how long, at one point I find myself back above the room with the spinning spike traps. The guide is a bit confusing at this point, and I have no idea how to proceed. I‘m sure I took a wrong turn somewhere, going back to this room by mistake, and now I must be stuck. I just don’t feel like doing the level from scratch, so I use the code to skip to the next level.

Many years later, on PC, I tried again and… found myself back above that room, again.
It took me a full minute to spot the new door that had opened on the opposite wall, on the left. It’s just not that obvious, and teenage me could swear it wasn’t there in ‘97.

SSfox

Fun fact. When I first played TR2, it soon came a moment when I felt I couldn’t do it on my own. It was just too big and confusing, and the loading times on console so frustrating. So I started using a guide.
Fast forward to Temple of Xian. After God knows how long, at one point I find myself back above the room with the spinning spike traps. The guide is a bit confusing at this point, and I have no idea how to proceed. I‘m sure I took a wrong turn somewhere, going back to this room by mistake, and now I must be stuck. I just don’t feel like doing the level from scratch, so I use the code to skip to the next level.

Many years later, on PC, I tried again and… found myself back above that room, again.
It took me a full minute to spot the new door that had opened on the opposite wall, on the left. It’s just not that obvious, and teenage me could swear it wasn’t there in ‘97.

Hey nice.

Back then I had no memory card, I got to Tibet without memory card and no guide. It was too hard to pass this without memory you can very easily day by small vehicle mistakes

Toots

Gold Member
I remember playing this back in 1996 with Resident Evil and not having a Memory Card 😳
Coming from the 16-Bit Era I didn't realise 😂
But that didn't stop me from completing both of them.
And them two games become ingrained in me
Love those games
A little Comparison
p9nsaQy.jpg
eMew3MG.jpg

Sure thing that's what it's here for.
Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

You managed to finish Tomb raider 1 and 2 without a memory card ?!
I didn't even managed to finish the first one with a memory card and cheat codes :messenger_grinning_sweat: (in my defense i was pretty young)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

You managed to finish Tomb raider 1 and 2 without a memory card ?!
I didn't even managed to finish the first one with a memory card and cheat codes :messenger_grinning_sweat: (in my defense i was pretty young)
Just the first Tomb Raider and Resident Evil, they was amongst my first Playstation games and I didn't own an memory card, and playing Tomb Raider like that is an experience.
And yes I died at Natla's Mines and had to restart the whole game.

Last edited:
Looking at 100,000 copies and almost 2mil in sales so far (on steam alone)

That's pretty good for a remaster that didn't get a lot of advertising push outside of a Nintendo Direct. Even then, the classic Tomb Raider series has never officially been on a Nintendo console up to this point.

The original Tomb Raider was a multiplatform release for the Sega Saturn, PS1 and PC. Tomb Raider 2 and 3 were made console exclusive by Sony for the PS1, but still ended up as Windows games on the PC. There were the iOS and Android ports of TR1, 2 and 3 as well. Outside of the GOG/ Steam repackaging of the original PC games, and the availability of the PS1 games on PSN, these are the first new releases of the 'original games' in decades.

These ports are oddly based on the Mac source codes. But I am pretty sure they are close to the PC ports in features. The PC ports are not exactly 1-1 with the PS1 games, but close. It seems like the TR modding community is being contracted for work on the HD assets.

violence

I’m playing this game with an 8bitdo M30 controller. I never played the Sega Saturn version, but I can role-play that I am.

Last edited:

Alex11

Really don't understand, is it honest fuckery or just some next level bullshit going on here?
I mean, Jesus Christ, it's one thing to have skins for a gun or an extra clothing equipment as exclusives, but come on.

Even some bugs for unreachable items are fixed in the EGS build, it just completely sliced my enjoyment for this remaster, I was in the middle of TR2 and I'm not in any mood for continuing it.

Last edited:
Really don't understand, is it honest fuckery or just some next level bullshit going on here?
I mean, Jesus Christ, it's one thing to have skins for a gun or an extra clothing equipment as exclusives, but come on.

Even some bugs for unreachable items are fixed in the EGS build, it just completely sliced my enjoyment for this remaster, I was in the middle of TR2 and I'm not in any mood for continuing it.

So, from what I understand is this... the version that Epic Game Store got was not a later patched version, but the original version of Tomb Raider Remastered that was meant to be released on Steam, GOG, PSN and XBLA? At least, this is the best I can piece together. The other releases outside of the Switch version, were not the final game release, and only the Epic Game Store ended up getting (presumably) ver 1.0, while the others may have been release candidates?

Last edited:

Alex11

So, from what I understand is this... the version that Epic Game Store got was not a later patched version, but the original version of Tomb Raider Remastered that was meant to be released on Steam, GOG, PSN and XBLA? At least, this is the best I can piece together. The other releases outside of the Switch version, were not the final game release, and only the Epic Game Store ended up getting (presumably) ver 1.0, while the others may have been release candidates?
Well, I've read something along the lines of what you say, even so, for me it's a pretty major screw up, and it's only logical it shouldn't take this long to update it, if the version already exists for EGS ... that is if there isn't something else rotten, really hope not.

Last edited:

wow...this is a major upgrade in most areas...now i feel like i should wait before playing this more lol.

Top Bottom