• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered |OT| Don't you think you've seen enough?

violence

I’m reading that the tomb raider reboot trilogy is different on epic game store and has bugs that is not in the steam version.

I’m reading that the tomb raider reboot trilogy is different on epic game store and has bugs that is not in the steam version.
Read a few posts above. (and watch the video if you have been playing other versions) It's actually the opposite. The Epic version is better in every sense apparently.

Last edited:

violence

Read a few posts above. (and watch the video if you have been playing other versions) It's actually the opposite. The Epic version is better in every sense apparently.
I said reboot trilogy or survivor trilogy. I’m only bringing it up because I had no idea there was a history of epic game store getting different versions of tomb raider.

Last edited:
I said reboot trilogy or survivor trilogy. I’m only bringing it up because I had no idea there was a history of epic game store getting different versions of tomb raider.
Oh sorry, i skipped that part.

But this isn't just about bugs. There's assets and literal sets that have been reconstructed on Epic Games version. Plus extra poses and stuff...clearly something happened here.

What the fuck is with this different build or whatever? Gonna hold off on playing TR2 and 3 until they confirm what's going on or patch or what not. I'd like to not replay ALL of them and then the shit gets patched.

Lol, I finished the underwater levels of TR2 yesterday shortly before I read this news.
I already had the idea to play the PS5 version for now...and then going the those PS4 platinums later on, so i'm still revisiting all of the games later tbh. (i think there's no difference between both versions right?)

mansoor1980

Gold Member
the-wire-bullshit.gif

It is disappointing to hear that the EGS got a better and more complete version of this collection. As much as I am enjoying this collection, there are times when things felt 'rushed' or not really final to me. I think the HD mode game engine is pretty impressive, with its framerate that adjusts to the refresh rate of the monitor and the resolution will always max out, and change aspect ratio. Playing this on a VGA CRT monitor at 1280*1024 with the original graphics look quite nice. Plus the HD mode can be played this way. I also have a 21:9 monitor that displays the game at 21:9.
4HWjdsR.png
vj77KJG.png
gDx8kUd.png
nvImfG5.png
nO9kUzw.png
rGrTKg7.png
XLwF3dJ.png
LzodWD0.png
ltTGhRq.png
Beyajxv.png

MWJz1L7.png
LhwRkIF.png

k3VGwO1.png

24ya2Nq.png

76RO9zW.png

2jK0VFL.png

I might as well spam a whole bunch of screenshots. All captured using the Steam screenshot tool. I just set it to save to my desktop as a raw image. The 4:3's were captured on a Dell LCD, or a CRT VGA, or an LG 21:9 monitor. The 30fps frame pacing is not that big of an issue with a CRT VGA monitor.

I am playing this on Linux Mint, with Steam and proton, I bought the Steam one just for proton support. I am happy that the game runs shockingly well on Steamplay, with no frame stutter either. I am playing this on a low end I5 2500k and it runs great. I never really see slowdown. Works with a wireless gamepad, has rumble.

I think the base of this port is good. That HD Tomb Raider engine implementation might be great for modders too. It ups the framerate, adds additional lighting. It's like an enhanced source code port of the Mac versions. That uses HD texture packs/ models for the HD assets.

I also hear that the EGS version fixes a few bugs to obtain a 100% completion rate of the game? WTH happened there?

Last edited:
Here's some more screenshots taken from my low end set-up. I guess you could call these pre-release beta screenshots. Or release candidate screenshots. These are all 21:9 screengrabs. I didn't even try using a 4:3 monitor until after the hidden valley.

Yd3AIIL.png
SOYnbDD.png
Tomb-Raider-1-Remastered-Steam-Edition-Linux-Mint-Proton-I5-2500k-16GB-Geforce-660-21-9-4-3-monitors-used-Release-Candidate-p
Tomb-Raider-1-Remastered-Steam-Edition-Linux-Mint-Proton-I5-2500k-16GB-Geforce-660-21-9-4-3-monitors-used-Release-Candidate-p

Last edited:

SnapShot

one of TR3's biggest selling points was colored lighting (remember that promo vid?) and it's almost non-existent in remastered mode

unknown-2024-02-27-13-31-1.png

unknown-2024-02-27-13-31-2.png

unknown-2024-02-27-13-32.png

unknown-2024-02-27-13-32-1.png

camera bobbing also doesn't exist in remaster mode

tr2's opera level has a lever that's only visible if you switch to classic visuals mode

this feels rushed

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
You know lads, watching all the promo vids and getting closer to release i thought "there's gotta be a catch somewhere" always taking into account remasters like the GTA trilogy and their quality (or lack thereof).
Game got released and everyone was creaming in their pants - until all the problems (big and small) started surfacing like bad/borked modern controls, borked 3d camera that spazzes out frequently, things not being being visible with the new GFX turned on (like SnapShot SnapShot also mentions), weird texture bugs (had a water surface looking like...a painting of a woman's face - i shit you not) and now, apparently, the main versions of the game (XSX/PS5/PS4/Steam) are literally an older build compared to EGS's ? I mean, seriously ?...

This is YET another rushed title if you ask me and i definitely regret getting it day1 on the PS5

Alex11

You know lads, watching all the promo vids and getting closer to release i thought "there's gotta be a catch somewhere" always taking into account remasters like the GTA trilogy and their quality (or lack thereof).
Game got released and everyone was creaming in their pants - until all the problems (big and small) started surfacing like bad/borked modern controls, borked 3d camera that spazzes out frequently, things not being being visible with the new GFX turned on (like SnapShot SnapShot also mentions), weird texture bugs (had a water surface looking like...a painting of a woman's face - i shit you not) and now, apparently, the main versions of the game (XSX/PS5/PS4/Steam) are literally an older build compared to EGS's ? I mean, seriously ?...

This is YET another rushed title if you ask me and i definitely regret getting it day1 on the PS5
Yeah, I'm guilty too of being hyped for this and praising it from day one, and still think it has more good stuff than bad.
But never ever would I thought than they can release 2 separate builds, this is really fucked up and not to sound like an entitled modern whiny gamer, they better make up for it.

Alex11

one of TR3's biggest selling points was colored lighting (remember that promo vid?) and it's almost non-existent in remastered mode

unknown-2024-02-27-13-31-1.png

unknown-2024-02-27-13-31-2.png

unknown-2024-02-27-13-32.png

unknown-2024-02-27-13-32-1.png

camera bobbing also doesn't exist in remaster mode

tr2's opera level has a lever that's only visible if you switch to classic visuals mode

this feels rushed
Yeah, noticed this stuff too, TR1 was almost perfect, besides the glitches and the whole 2 builds fiasco, but in TR2 there are some inconsistencies and rough spots, but fuck, who knows anymore, maybe there's a 3rd build somewhere where all the stuff looks good.

Madflavor

Not me. Clocked 75 hours into it, and having a blast. It's a very good remaster, and people are right to praise it.

BigLee74

As much as I have always loved TR2, I was reminded yesterday how much I hate Opera House as a level. I can quite easily wait another 20+ years before playing that one again.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
As much as I have always loved TR2, I was reminded yesterday how much I hate Opera House as a level. I can quite easily wait another 20+ years before playing that one again.
I myself hate the Maria Doria. I love it and hate it at the same time. Lots of tedium and back and forth across the different sections.

-------------

Beat TR2 last night. Absolutely loved it. Really love how it goes full circle back to China for the final act. Will start TR3 soon.

Definitely wait if you're playing it anywhere else than EGS.

I really do feel a bit cheated. I bought the Steam version mainly for use with proton, which did not disappoint. Even from my first playthrough, the Steam version really seemed unfinished in ways. Like, one of my bigger complaints with the HD remaster was the 'rapid water' textures that would indicate what direction water flow in, was missing. But the EGS version has this effect. This actually does suck.
EJT5eiF.png

The Steam version hasn't even seen a patch at all...
Vha00Ww.png

And also, according to the Steam community forums for TR1-3 Remastered, the Epic Game Store (EGS) Version has the option to play 'classic mode' with a 3DFX/ D3D filtering mode:

Last edited:

Alex11

I really do feel a bit cheated. I bought the Steam version mainly for use with proton, which did not disappoint. Even from my first playthrough, the Steam version really seemed unfinished in ways. Like, one of my bigger complaints with the HD remaster was the 'rapid water' textures that would indicate what direction water flow in, was missing. But the EGS version has this effect. This actually does suck.
Yeah, I'm reading now that in fact the Epic version it's by mistake, that's why the achievements there don't work, fuck if I know what's going on anymore.

At least it's good that some articles are making some waves, maybe pressuring them to release a fucking statement, I mean, own your fucking shit, have some balls and admit that you fucked it up.

BigLee74

I myself hate the Maria Doria. I love it and hate it at the same time. Lots of tedium and back and forth across the different sections.

-------------

Beat TR2 last night. Absolutely loved it. Really love how it goes full circle back to China for the final act. Will start TR3 soon.
The fact that it’s an upside down ship negates all other issues with that level 😂 It’s been a long time since I’ve played it but I still remember a few of the rooms and one tricky timed switch segment. I’ll be there soon enough!

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm reading now that in fact the Epic version it's by mistake, that's why the achievements there don't work, fuck if I know what's going on anymore.

At least it's good that some articles are making some waves, maybe pressuring them to release a fucking statement, I mean, own your fucking shit, have some balls and admit that you fucked it up.

Just to let you know i have modded the steam version with the Epic Game Store version and it runs with achievements and everything on steam. ofcourse i refunded the purchase on epic game store as soon as i took a backup of the downloaded files :)
best luck if any of you decide to do something similar.. the only dll file that should not be copied is the Epic store dll file starts with EOS.

As for whats going on ...?
well apparently Epic version received a update on the 16 february and that is a newer build than all the others. who uploaded and why we do not know. but yeah thats it.

EDIT: Apparently new patch might arrive tomorrow, if thats the case i do not see any point in playing the epic version also because its apparently have some debug features so might have been a accidental developer version uploaded.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The fact that it’s an upside down ship negates all other issues with that level 😂 It’s been a long time since I’ve played it but I still remember a few of the rooms and one tricky timed switch segment. I’ll be there soon enough!
Oh inside the ship I feel was fine. I was getting lost on The Deck. I really like how the game makes you use critical thinking to figure things out. It's so good.

I think my favorite chapter in TR2 is Tibet. Love that zone.

I think there is a bigger f-up here than they are letting on. It seems like the people in charge at CD/ Aspyr want to keep it at a low profile until the issue blows over. Aspyr has been pretty quiet about any updates for this collection, despite it actually selling really well, going by sales metrics on Steam and other services. I don't know any of the behinds the scenes things, or the gossip, beyond that there is a patch coming 'soon'.

I've completed TR1 and UB. I have been playing through NG+ mode, which is pretty wild. Because NG+ removes all health pick-ups, gives you all weapons, jacks up the enemies to bullet sponge levels and you need the save crystals to save/ heal. But I feel like I want to wait for any upcoming patch on Steam before starting TRII.

I know people get burnt out on remasters, but, personally, I feel like original Tomb Raider series should at least get one. This is pretty close to a Super Mario-All Stars style of remastering. Which is what this kind of is.

When you look at the top selling list of PS1 games, all Tomb Raider games except for Chronicles occupy the top fifteen best-sellers list. With Tomb Raider 1 being in the top ten list. Yeah, classic Tomb Raider was still 'diminishing returns'. But each release still sold a lot of copies. They all sold well on PC too, with additional Gold releases for the first three games.

Quite a while back now, there was talks about doing some sort of official remaster for at least PC; when the IP was owned by Sqeenix, but I remember that being squashed for reasons.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm getting this a lot :

Its disorientating and actually hurts gameplay since you cant find the exits on many occasions (paintings are black so they blend in with the rest of the background).

I'll have to repeat myself here : they (devs generally speaking) obviously found a way to fuck up yet another remaster - especially when it comes to the hush-hush regarding the updated version on EGS, wtf is going on ?

Again, when things seem to good to be true...Never EVER will i get a game day1 again, i'm tired of this shit

I'm getting this a lot :

Its disorientating and actually hurts gameplay since you cant find the exits on many occasions (paintings are black so they blend in with the rest of the background).

I'll have to repeat myself here : they (devs generally speaking) obviously found a way to fuck up yet another remaster - especially when it comes to the hush-hush regarding the updated version on EGS, wtf is going on ?

Again, when things seem to good to be true...Never EVER will i get a game day1 again, i'm tired of this shit

Happened to me in three levels in TR1 as well. I was baffled but didn't really see it clearly since I was trying not to die to alligators each time. Now I get it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Gonna wait for the patch, good to know they have undulating quicksand/swamp/whatever stuff folks noticed missing in the new graphics mode before. Sucks they haven't come out to say "wops, sorry folks, we fucked up, we're working to get the builds syncrhonised by next week" or whatever else. It only makes it harder for them since folks are reporting so many problems that are apparently already fixed in another build so they can't get to fixing the problems they haven't found yet. Like the out of place painting textures I mentioned the first day which are gone in the Epic build.

Last edited:
G'damn at the differences...

Shit's inexcusable

It is. This goes beyond just being a better; 'assets pack'. Because the moving quick sand works in HD mode, and the rapid water textures are there as well. like they should have been. Those are part of the gameplay, as they are visual indicators and can make the games artificially harder by not being there. Reviewers docked scored because of those minor missing features. DF complained about the quick sand, as well as others. This is because of some incomplete release candidate version that was shoveled out by mistake on every platform, but Epic? That even seems suspicious.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You know this would have gone through CD before release, just like it did and they slapped their Disclaimer on it.
I reckon they sabotaged it, I really wouldn't put it past them.
There's no way both studio's checked this and everything was okay with both of them.
And EGS just happens to get the right one so everyone knows the fuck up?
A little suspicious indeed.

Last edited:
G'damn at the differences...

Shit's inexcusable

Lol at the cliffs especially. Brutal.

The radar console is entirely missing in another shot. Come on guys wtf.

PS: Again, baffling they don't just push out a tweet explaining what's up. It's a very limited fanbase. It'd be nice to know. Gaming in modern times is so fucking dumb...can't even buy a remaster of an ancient game without huge bugs and it being an unfinished producf.

Last edited:
In the Epic version is the camera better? or dogshit like the rest?

The EGS version apparently has a lot of fixes in comparison to the other releases. Here's a list of them that I have compiled:
- Updated lighting throughout
- Different/ updated textures
- some additional HD environmental model assets
- Fixed missing 'quicksand' animation in HD pack
- Fixed missing 'rapid water' effects
- Minor bugs all over fixed
- Some people claim that the camera was 'fixed'
- Missing assets in HD pack restored
- More character poses and facial animations in camera mode
- some issues with clipping (being able to cross through walled areas in Unfinished Business) fixed
- EGS version has a 3DFX/ Direct3D equivalent texture filtering mode for the classic graphic mode.
- There are apparently '100% completion' bugs in the other versions that were fixed
- The weird painting that people see in the St. Francis Folly's stage for TR1 was fixed.
- Echoing sound effects apparently work properly in the EGS version (I also heard that the audio is better).
- All Hollows bonus level in Tomb Raider III included in the EGS version.
- Modern controls have additional tweaking in the EGS version
- Some keys are easier to see in HD mode now.

that's a list of every issue that I compiled from X and other sources. By 'fixed' I mean, probably the final release build. Because the EGS version was released a day after the others, or so?

The only issue I have heard about the EGS version is that a few achievements might not work that do in the other versions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom