• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider II Remake Incoming?

So the official Tomb Raider Twitter page has a rather suspicious and unusual banner right now showing render artwork for the original TOMB RAIDER II game from 1997.

Q2y3tus.png

Could we be in for a remake or re-release of some kind? I get that they're pushing their 20th Anniversary Special, but it's a pretty ... random banner to have up, no?

Of course, I could be reading into this too much. It's hard to imagine the series would return to the more fantastical and level design driven games of days past, especially given the popularity of the modern games - but it's interesting nonetheless.

I hold the original trilogy very near and dear to me. Tomb Raider II is one of the scariest, most atmospheric and eerie games I've ever played, and it still gives me the creeps to this day. Something about the muted colour pallet, low draw distance, little to no music, the lighting - it made for some very moody gameplay. This was no more evident in the underwater themed levels, which had you running around a sunken shipwreck, solving puzzles, flipping switches, and performing a host of acrobatic maneuvers. And who could forget the truly masterful Temple of Xian level at the end which was an absolute marvel of level design - making use of every trap and obstacle in the game to that point, forcing the player to use all the skills they had learned to that point. It felt like a final endurance challenge before the games finale (which held several surprises of it's own!)

I could go on about how much these games rock! I could easily make a strong case for why the original Tomb Raider trilogy (TR2 in particular) has some of the greatest, most inspired level design in a 3D game to date. It was very seldom realistic, but that's ok. The level design was often strange and bizarre, but it complimented the games mechanics beautifully. I love this game so much and so I'm both very weary of a possible remake, but of course - very interested at the same time.

Maybe we'll see something at E3, maybe we won't - either way, it gave me a good excuse to talk about TR II for a little bit.

It's not even a new render, there's no suspicious text, zero reason to believe it is anything beyond anniversary celebrating

joms5

Good lord that would be amazing. I don't see it happening though. Tomb Raider seems to be on a very different course right now.

I would love it if they did go back to the classic games though. Tomb Raider 2 holds a really special place in my heart.

Dat opera house.

dreamfall

It would be a dream come true! In the same vein of Anniversary!
They might be promoting the art book of the 20th year anniversary too, using old assets for nostalgia. But if they could remake 1-5 like they did with Anniversary I'd die happy.

ps3ud0

Oh my can you imagine the atmosphere, its something that binaural sounds could work well in - damn I would want TR redone though

Wonder how they could change the controls while still maintaining the block animation loop

ps3ud0 8)

Too good to be true, but I'd give my eye teeth for a Tomb Raider 2 anniversary.

Would easily make an E3 of dreams part 2 for me single handedly if it were announced though.

Also, it would be so damned good to have the real Lara Croft back in a full main game again!

szaromir

Banned
TR2 had many strong points, but the mood was for the most part killed by human opponents spawning in the most impossible places.

Remake or no, I would love to see another Tomb Raider designed like the pre-reboot titles. Series was so much better back then.

Square Enix teased a special Tomb Raider announcement soon, so this would fit.

If you're referring to the TR news mentioned in the first Road to E3 blog, then I think that ended up being this

Our #TombRaider20 celebrations continue at E3 2016 with a variety of activities at the show and online. For those of you in attendance, stop by the Square Enix booth for a custom engraved dog tag with the 20-year logo. We'll be taking the machine with us to other global events throughout the year so our international fans can participate.

We're also hosting an episode on Square Enix Presents' annual broadcast, featuring a nostalgic look at fan-favorite tombs from the past two decades. We'll reveal more information on where and when to tune in as E3 draws nearer.

Excited about what's in store for Tomb Raider this year? Start sharing your favorite franchise memories now by using #TombRaider20.

http://www.na.square-enix.com/us/blog/road-e3-2016-part-2

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Remake or no, I would love to see another Tomb Raider designed like the pre-reboot titles. Series was so much better back then.
First reboot or second reboot?

Yes, I firmly consider Legend to be a reboot. And a far worse one than the 2013 one.

Anniversary was a FANTASTIC follow up to that shitty reboot though whereas ROTTR barely improved from TR2013.

dreamfall

First reboot or second reboot?

Yes, I firmly consider Legend to be a reboot. And a far worse one than the 2013 one.

But Anniversary was so good! So yeah, if they decide to modernize some of the Core titles like they did for that Crystal Dynamics approach, it would be amazing.

I want all of them. The gritty reboots I enjoyed, but Legend/Anniversary/Underworld have a special place in my heart. Nothing compares to Core.

Vlaphor

I really hope this is true. Classic Lara Croft is best Lara Croft. Squeenix should just admit their mistake with NuLara and go back to the beloved standard.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
But Anniversary was so good! So yeah, if they decide to modernize some of the Core titles like they did for that Crystal Dynamics approach, it would be amazing.

I want all of them. The gritty reboots I enjoyed, but Legend/Anniversary/Underworld have a special place in my heart. Nothing compares to Core.
As I edited, Anniversary was indeed fantastic. I despise Legend, but Anniversary redeemed Crystal Dynamics. Underworld was a disappointing follow up but there was certainly greatness in there hidden behind the flaws.

gafneo

Banned
If they did remake it, they would need to keep the pixel art, but give it 4K. Controls tighter in places, better checkpoint system, better lock on system, clues, fixed ai.

Top Bottom