• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider II Remake Incoming?

kennyamr

Even though I'd love a new proper Tomb Raider game (not like the new ones but old school a la PS1)... I don't think this means anything really. Sorry to say.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
TR2 Anniversary would be hot. Just don't try to modernize it. Make it play just like the first Anniversary, that shit is Tomb Raider perfection.

I am sick to death of these fucking remakes.

To be fair, Tomb Raider -> Tomb Raider Anniversary is probably one of the most high effort remakes ever made. If this is even half as good, it'll be great. If there is an actual remake coming, that is :p

Curufinwe

TR2 made some changes that really didn't sit well with me. Saving anywhere removed most of the challenge, although the save crystals of the original were probably too punishing. I liked the TR3 save system best.

And there was way too much combat with human enemies.

It wouldn't work unless it included the original platforming mechanics. Otherwise you'd have to redesign the entire levels. As blocky as it was, the defined spaces that could jumped or double jumped actually created a challenging and engaging way to platform in 3D that modern platformers like Uncharted cannot replicate because if you die it's because you didn't hammer X enough during a jump.

I wouldn't even exaggerate if I said the original was in my top 10 games ever.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
TR2 made some changes that really didn't sit well with me. Saving anywhere removed most of the challenge, although the save crystals of the original were probably too punishing. I liked the TR3 save system best.

And there was way too much combat with human enemies.
Save anywhere suited that style of game design much better, and TR3 easily had the most frustrating save system. It flat out turned me off the game. A lot of the stages were quite big and complex, and I think save anywhere was the right choice.

Combat. I agree with though. There was too much of it in TR2 and it wasn't good. The level design was a huge improvement but the huge amount of enemies had nothing to do with that and did detract from the game I think.

Wanderer5

Eh I don't know.:p That likely just a retrospective thing anyway.

But how about TR3 Gold: Lost Artifact getting a freaking digital release already? I would LOVE to play that one.

Save anywhere suited that style of game design much better, and TR3 easily had the most frustrating save system. It flat out turned me off the game. A lot of the stages were quite big and complex, and I think save anywhere was the right choice.

Combat. I agree with though. There was too much of it in TR2 and it wasn't good. The level design was a huge improvement but the huge amount of enemies had nothing to do with that and did detract from the game I think.

Saving anywhere was already possible in TR1, at least in the PC version, or am I wrong?

TR3 > TR2

TR2 just felt like so similar to 1 it could just be expansion levels.

The best solution is to do both 2 and 3 anniversary.

jackdoe

OP is reading too much into it. And besides, technically they already celebrated the 20th Anniversary by releasing the second game in the TR reboot franchise on the PC and will celebrate it again when they release it for the PS4 in November or December.

PC only. Console versions had save crystals at various points in levels to save at. They were often quite far apart.

Yeah I know about the console versions too, I always played the TR games on PC, because of convenience and better graphics and such.
The console versions were harder because of the save crystals and you had to play way more careful.

Wanderer5

Human enemies hardly distract of how freaking amazing Tibet and China especially were. Only the offshore rig is the pretty shitty spot of the game.:p

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
To be fair, Tomb Raider -> Tomb Raider Anniversary is probably one of the most high effort remakes ever made.

Strongly disagree. Anniversary is basically a big level pack for Legend with just as much unnecessary QTE nonsense.

It's a good attempt but nothing special. It doesn't touch on the same atmosphere as the original or even provide half the challenge.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
TR2 Anniversary would be hot. Just don't try to modernize it. Make it play just like the first Anniversary, that shit is Tomb Raider perfection.

I've played and finished Anniversary, and I can't almost go back to the original ones. It's too good.

Was never a huge fan of Anniversary either, it totally lost the sense of isolation with the remake, TR I the original is still one of my favorite TR games.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Strongly disagree. Anniversary is basically a big level pack for Legend with just as much unnecessary QTE nonsense.

It's a good attempt but nothing special. It doesn't touch on the same atmosphere as the original or even provide half the challenge.
It does share a lot of the same flaws with Legend, but it was still a massive improvement and a great game on its own merits even if overall it doesn't match up to the original.

Wanderer5

Anniversary was pretty good, through Greece and Atlantis got butchered badly in some spots (but on the other hand regarding Greece, St Francis Folly was a nice improvement over the original. Too bad the same couldn't be said to Midas Palace :/), looked a bit too washout looking, and the slow motion lock on thing for combat was pretty bleh.

Gun to head, I'd say that you're probably just over-thinking it, OP. SE seems to have left the original Tomb Raider universe in the past and are moving on with the reboot.

On top of that, Crystal Dynamics just released Rise of the Tomb Raider 7 months ago, and are more than likely working on the PS4 port. Releasing a remake of the second game of the original universe while having just released the second game in the reboot universe would cause a ton of brand confusion.

I hate to say it, but I think you got yourself excited over nothing.

ps3ud0

Gun to head, I'd say that you're probably just over-thinking it, OP. SE seems to have left the original Tomb Raider universe in the past and are moving on with the reboot.

On top of that, Crystal Dynamics just released Rise of the Tomb Raider 7 months ago, and are more than likely working on the PS4 port.

Man dont depress me more if TR2A isnt real...

ps3ud0 8)

offshore

I don't think there's anything to see here. A proper remake would be a colossal undertaking, in need of a huge budget and time. This just seems like some good old nostalgia.

Though how I now wish to be proven wrong. lol.

Harlequin

Can't believe how many people on here seem to think that the first Anniverary with its over-automated yawn-inducing ledge-hopping orgies was "Tomb Raider perfection". There was none of the challenging, precision- and skill-based platforming that made the originals so fun to play. It had a few good puzzles and that's about it. One of the most boring games I've ever played and definitely not a good or faithful remake as far as I'm concerned. Eidos should've just let Core release their Anniversary game (still hoping that Square will throw Core fans a bone and release what was finished of that game for the 20th anniversary).

As for a TR2 remake, I doubt it's gonna happen. The first anniversary game wasn't a big commercial success IIRC and that was a PS2 game with a 12-18 month dev cycle (that's a guesstimate on my part). Developmet budgets and times have increased quite a bit since then and I don't see Square shelling out for a full-blown remake when Crystal supposedly had to go to Microsoft for money because Square weren't willing to give them the budget they wanted for Rise. Perhaps a Lara Croft-type title with lower production values but even that is doubtful IMO. We'll see.

On top of that, Crystal Dynamics just released Rise of the Tomb Raider 7 months ago, and are more than likely working on the PS4 port. Releasing a remake of the second game of the original universe while having just released the second game in the reboot universe would cause a ton of brand confusion.

While I agree with most of your post, Crystal is definitely not working on the PS4 port, they haven't worked on the Playstation versions of any of their games since Anniversary (though a small number of people at Crystal probably did supervise the porting work at Nixxes).

dreamfall

Can't believe how many people on here seem to think that the first Anniverary with its over-automated yawn-inducing ledge-hopping orgies was "Tomb Raider perfection". There was none of the challenging, precision- and skill-based platforming that made the originals so fun to play. It had a few good puzzles and that's about it. One of the most boring games I've ever played and definitely not a good or faithful remake as far as I'm concerned. Eidos should've just let Core release their Anniversary game (still hoping that Square will throw Core fans a bone and release what was finished of that game for the 20th anniversary).

I mean compared to the Reboots, full on action and even less platforming, I'm almost nostalgic for a time where combat was horrible and there were jumping puzzles. Nothing will ever compare to the Core design- the challenge, the control mechanics, the real sense of discovery. But I'd much rather have a TR2 remake in the same vein of Anniversary than nothing!

Huh.

It just seems like they are celebrating the 20 year mark.
I didn't think it was super bad. But I didn't end up finishing it either. It was solid though.

But I enjoyed Legend and Underworld a lot more. I think those are the piques of the platforming entries of the series.

Harlequin

But I enjoyed Legend and Underworld a lot more. I think those are the piques of the platforming entries of the series.

Personally, I'd make the distinction between platforming and ledge-hopping when talking about these games and, to me, Legend, Anniversary and Underworld were definitely more ledge-hoppers than platformers. I'm sure I've explained the difference before but I'll try to do it again:

Basically, a platformer has you jumping between platforms in 3D space and it forces you to control the character in and use all three dimensions of this space. Platform B could be one metre in front of platform A or three. It could be above platform A or below, it could be to its left or to its right, etc. This facilitates more challenging gameplay because you have more axes to line up and it also gives you more control over your character.

Ledge-hopping/shimmying, however, essentially works in a 2D-space because you're just following the path of ledges spread out across a wall which is a 2D surface. It's a bit like the difference between a normal shooter and an on-rails shooter because you can only move along the ledges and if there's no ledge, you can't go there. You can only move left and right (if there's a ledge there) and up and down (if there's a ledge there). (And yeah, sometimes there'll be a spot where you have to jump backwards or shimmy around a corner in which case you do use the third axis but even in those situations you never ever move in more than two dimensions at once. When you jump backwards you move backwards, obviously, and may also move slightly up or down but you'll never at the same time move to the left or to the right just like, when jumping sideways from one ledge to another, you will move left or right and you may also move up or down but you won't ever move forward or backwards so the movement is always two-dimensional even if it's not always using the same two dimensions.) So this simplifies and dumbs down traversal in two ways: firstly by eliminating one dimension from the equation completely and secondly by confining you to a very small, predetermined path. (The latter even extends to those swing poles and balancing beams which the designers liked to use so much in Underworld because they're still confining you to a very narrow, predetermined path.)

Now another, unrelated problem of LAU's traversal, of course, are the automated controls and how magnetic the ledges in the environment are and that's why, even during those moments where you are actually jumping from one platform to another in 3D space, it tends to feel far less satisfying than it did in Core's games.

BTW: Mechanically, I actually think the reboot is a bit of a step up from LAU there because the platforming controls in it feel less automated and you have more control over Lara, you can even properly steer her in mid-air again. The problem is that the game isn't consistent and often times does go back to resorting to magnetic ledges and variable jump distances and, of course, that the level design still uses too many ledges rather than proper platforming, not to mention that there's simply far too little platforming/traversal and far too much shooting.

I'd really like to see an updated port(s) for modern pc/console hardware and controllers. I'd love to get versions of the original games that could be seen as definitive.

Preach it.

Classic TR is one of the best games in the history of gaming and quite under-rated.

I would very much welcome modern adaptations of 2, 3 and 4.
Agreed entirely, i couldn't get into Anniversary at all.

sublimit

Banned
Why not? Crystal Dynamics pooped on the original with Anniversary why not ruin more of Core Design's classic work?

Sorcerer

If these game get remade they need to incorporate those additional exapansions that were only available to pc players. I think Anniversary lost an opportunity there.

Harlequin

If these game get remade they need to incorporate those additional exapansions that were only available to pc players. I think Anniversary lost an opportunity there.

Anniversary didn't just not include the Unfinished Business levels, it actually cut sections and even almost an entire level from the original main game.

BroBot

Make it more like Anniversary and less like the reboot and I'm on board.

Also, give me optional tank controls.

Yoday

Remake.. yeah right. It's probably a mobile port.
There's already a mobile port or the first and second games. I'd personally really like to see the first four games get ports on current consoles. It can't be that hard to get some PC ports up and running for $5-10 each.

Top Bottom