• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider II Remake Incoming?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Interesting that there is such love for TR:A. I considered it a step backwards in terms of interesting mechanics.

Mman235

Well, I guess what I said before about remake speculation remains:

Can't wait for a quarter of the game to be cut out, the last levels to go from the best part of the game to the worst, Lara wanting daddy the whole game, all the major moments to be turned into QTE's (or at least zero skill "set-pieces") and even more emphasis on combat than it already had.

Anniversary is easily my favourite part of LAU and the closest Crystal came to the originals (although I think the reboot games are a better as games in their own right for all my issues with them), but the more I think about it and see how the newer games are designed and the things Anniversary screwed up the more I realise the things I love about it are happy accidents as much as anything else.

There's at least a better excuse for some major changing around in TR2, because many of the modern environments in the first half are so impossibly abstract (as opposed to the original that had the excuse of mostly being in places intentionally designed as an obstacle) there's no way they could work with modern graphics with their current design. But I'd much rather they came up with decent replacement design rather than just slicing off everything that doesn't fit, and, based on Anniversary, I suspect the latter is what would happen.

Still, if it happened I wouldn't be able to resist getting hyped, and (intentionally or otherwise), based on Anniversary, at least they should nail a few segments.

Anniversary was pretty good, accepting the fact that magnet hands are here to stay. I'd check out a TR2 like that for sure.

mark_79

Banned
Got quite nostalgic reading this thread, pining for the days of TRII on the Playstation. Have it for the PC but its a nightmare to get up and running so to my surprise (and absolute delight) discovered its available on Android. One 99c download and a 360 joypad and bit of chromecast dongling later and I have an absolutely exquisite version of it on my living room tv, all from the comfort of my phone. Got the original too for old times sake.

Man, its clunky but then, it wouldn't be TR if it wasn't :D

Screenshot_20160608_221110.jpg

yesrushdt

Can't believe how many people on here seem to think that the first Anniverary with its over-automated yawn-inducing ledge-hopping orgies was "Tomb Raider perfection". There was none of the challenging, precision- and skill-based platforming that made the originals so fun to play. It had a few good puzzles and that's about it. One of the most boring games I've ever played and definitely not a good or faithful remake as far as I'm concerned. Eidos should've just let Core release their Anniversary game (still hoping that Square will throw Core fans a bone and release what was finished of that game for the 20th anniversary).

Couldn't agree with you any more Harlequin. I was so disappointed with Crystal's TRA that I'll never play it again. It would be great if Square Enix let the people that were working on Core Design's Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition finish it. Capcom's recent RE remasters have done very well sales wise and I'm sure that the RE2 remake will be just as popular (if not more) if it remains faithful to the original. Square Enix could enjoy the same success with PROPER Tomb Raider I & II remakes.

mark_79

Banned
Just release the above as-is but with Lara free from the restrictive grid based movement system.

If that's possible.

sn00zer

Interesting that there is such love for TR:A. I considered it a step backwards in terms of interesting mechanics.

I thought it was excellent in everyway....except it made the grave mistake of not having cave dinosaurs. Cave dinosaurs were a hardware limitation turned into inadvertently awesome idea which they "fixed" in Anniversary. The outdoor valley was the actual original intention.

Got quite nostalgic reading this thread, pining for the days of TRII on the Playstation. Have it for the PC but its a nightmare to get up and running so to my surprise (and absolute delight) discovered its available on Android. One 99c download and a 360 joypad and bit of chromecast dongling later and I have an absolutely exquisite version of it on my living room tv, all from the comfort of my phone. Got the original too for old times sake.

Interesting, looks nice with widescreen support and an updated UI, will have to try the Android version. It is too bad that the Steam versions are not updated.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I would be over the fucking moon if they redid it in the same style as Tomb Raider Anniversary. That stands as my favorite TR game, by far. And TR2 is arguably better source material than the original TR.

CamHostage

Probably is nothing, but either way, Tomb Raider 2 Anniversary would be great, the first Anniversary was wonderful and they should keep going.

If not, though, it'd be nice if they did the re-textured versions (like the TR2 iOS one mark_79 showed above) on more platforms than just mobile or PC the way Square Enix has with the Steam version of Final Fantasy VII on PS4 (though they didn't reciprocate yet on FF VIII or IX yet.)

That's freaking hawt. Beautiful textures.

I got a Sony pad with DS4 connectivity... I should pick these up. I read that TR2 is also available actually.

That's what you call level design.

That's what you call level design.

That's the thing, core tomb raider was all about level design, platforming, and puzzles. The Atmosphere was spot on. Sadly CD games are more about the shooting, combat, and the movement just felt too smooth, making a jump was never risky.

EDIT: I truly hope I get to see a TR: Last revelations remake at some point in my life. Shame there is no love for that game anymore.

That's the thing, core tomb raider was all about level design, platforming, and puzzles. The Atmosphere was spot on. Sadly CD games are more about the shooting, combat, and the movement just felt too smooth, making a jump was never risky.

EDIT: I truly hope I get to see a TR: Last revelations remake at some point in my life. Shame there is no love for that game anymore.

Is there a TR game that focuses on platforming? The combat and the puzzles in the Core games (the first three, at least) are nowhere near as fun as avoiding traps and lining up jumps.

Is there a TR game that focuses on platforming? The combat and the puzzles in the Core games (the first three, at least) are nowhere near as fun as avoiding traps and lining up jumps.

Isn't that what TR I-V are? making risky jumps that meet to a sudden end. The combat is jank though but never felt like the focus. I would definitely recommend TR last Revelation if you have not played.

Last revelations is amazing! It, along with TRII are by far my favorites in the series.

Nope they had Tomb Raider 1 a while back, they're just going through all of the Tomb Raider games to celebrate 20 Years of Tomb Raider. The only anniversary type thing that I can see happening is classic levels re-imagined in the GO format.

Lime

No thanks, not if it's gonna be with the nuLara. I can see them fucking this up.

I don't think NuLara is part of this. They seem to be running Classic Lara Croft brand in parallel to the shooter games - GO, Temple of Osiris.

I hope this is Anniversary II

LewieP

It's not even been out a year and they are thinking of remaking it?!?!

Remember when they turned that incredible encounter with a giant T-Rex into a QTE in the TR1 remake?

Isn't that what TR I-V are? making risky jumps that meet to a sudden end. The combat is jank though but never felt like the focus. I would definitely recommend TR last Revelation if you have not played.

I thought II had too much combat in the middle chapters of the game and the puzzles were so rough in III that I ended up skipping the penultimate level since it was just a gigantic, annoying mess.

What's so good about Last Revelation?

I thought II had too much combat in the middle chapters of the game and the puzzles were so rough in III that I ended up skipping the penultimate level since it was just a gigantic, annoying mess.

What's so good about Last Revelation?

The game is designed around being in the only Egypt, so this means bigger levels that intersect with each other (you can go from one level into a loading screen into the other and then back again) the levels are also less linear and the game is pretty much set only in tombs, there is no globe trotting which is a downer to some.

TRI-III used largely the same engine and all look pretty similar in terms of fidelity, TRIV has a retooled engine for improved lighting and more polygons. gone away is the disk inventory for a much better UI, I would get a picture but I can't find one right now.

the game pretty much fixes your problems with TRII and TRIII.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't answer your question properly, quite busy at the moment.

Lime

Remember when they turned that incredible encounter with a giant T-Rex into a QTE in the TR1 remake?

That was a different time when QTE was the big thing. I'm sure they wouldn't commit to the same design principles again.

ps3ud0

Give it to Nixxes over CD, Im sure theyd do a better job and keep far more faithful to the original games

ps3ud0 8)

Shredderi

Best Tomb Raider game still. A faithful remake would be bonkers. It might be the straight up scariest game I've ever played. It plays to my fobias so well. I fucking HATE the underwater segments.

The first 3 crystal dynamics games were far more faithful to the source material. They aren't nearly like the last two reboot games.

Don't know what crystal is trying to do now though. They've bet so much on the Uncharted cloning that I don't think they can go back until we get another total reboot.

Best Tomb Raider.

The original games were about raiding tombs, the new ones are just a poor man's Uncharted reskin. I absolutely despise them and what they have done to the series. To me, they are a bigger afront to the original than even Angel of Darkness.

I truly miss getting from one side of a level to the other and looking back at where I came from and thinking phew, look what I've achieved, after spending so much time intricately maneuvering Lara every inch of the way.

Now it's a third person shooter with a few "tap X to traverse obstacle" segments. Trash.

Patrick S.

Banned

I need this in my life! How do you do that?

Sulik2

Tomb Raider Anniversary was one of the best games of last gen, so I would be all in for a proper Tomb Raider 2 remake of that quality. I never played it back in the day.

GOOCHY

I tried to go back and play Tomb Raider II earlier this year. It's really hard to control. I remember being annoyed by it back in the late 90s but it's so, so much worse now.

I tried to go back and play Tomb Raider II earlier this year. It's really hard to control. I remember being annoyed by it back in the late 90s but it's so, so much worse now.

Do you think rock climbing and absailing in real life is easy?

Controlling Lara should be difficult and precise, that's where the challenge came from in a TR game.

My dream Tomb Raider is basically a rock climbing simulator with huge beautiful environments and customisable loadouts.. Not weapon loadouts, but different types of equipment for traversing the landscape, determining which of multiple paths you can take. Included in this would be first aid gear needed to patch yourself up as necessary eg. twist your ankle? Better have picked a splint and some painkillers otherwise you're gonna be limping and those jumps will be even harder to make etc.

The only combat Tomb Raider needs is a couple of pistols to deal with wild animals and very occasionally, enemy humans, and once or twice in the entire game.. Supernatural threats.

GOOCHY

Do you think rock climbing and absailing in real life is easy?

I don't - but I'm not trying to rock climb in real life or simulate it. This is a video game. It's supposed to be fun. I finished TRII back when it was released so I'm well acquainted with it. TRII has the very definition of tank controls. Modern gamers would eviscerate it if they kept that control scheme.

I don't - but I'm not trying to rock climb in real life or simulate it. This is a video game. It's supposed to be fun. I finished TRII back when it was released so I'm well acquainted with it. TRII has the very definition of tank controls. Modern gamers would eviscerate it if they kept that control scheme.

I don't necessarily want tank controls, but I want there to be challenge in maneuvering the environment. I love Uncharted but "traversal" in that game is utterly brain dead as a gameplay mechanic, it's basically window dressing, and that's fine for Uncharted but it has always been the core of Tomb Raider.

That's what I've wanted from every reboot, but every reboot has moved further and further away from it to the point where now, you don't even have the window dressing, it's literally just a third person shooter starring a girl that happens to have the same name.

I've learned from this thread that I'm not in the minority of one in having a dislike for Tomb Raider Anniversary! I thought I was the only one.

I don't necessarily want tank controls, but I want there to be challenge in maneuvering the environment. I love Uncharted but "traversal" in that game is utterly brain dead as a gameplay mechanic, it's basically window dressing, and that's fine for Uncharted but it has always been the core of Tomb Raider.

That's what I've wanted from every reboot, but every reboot has moved further and further away from it to the point where now, you don't even have the window dressing, it's literally just a third person shooter starring a girl that happens to have the same name.

Did you try the 6th gen TR games? I really liked Legend and Underworld.

Not saying they are the same as the OG series, and you probably already played them.

There's room for failing jumps and such but not as much or as hardcore as OG TR of course.

Did you try the 6th gen TR games? I really liked Legend and Underworld.

Not saying they are the same as the OG series, and you probably already played them.

There's room for failing jumps and such but not as much or as hardcore as OG TR of course.

I found them a bit too easy and linear. Things like big glowing UI markers for where to throw your grappling hook etc. just feels so against what TR was all about imo.

I never played Underworld though, I liked the look of it aesthetically but that engine burned me with Legend and I never gave it a shot.

I kind of liked Angel of Darkness though so maybe there's just something wrong with me.

Top Bottom