• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Media Blowout [IGN Week-long Coverage]

GUIDE TO SURVIVAL WEB SERIES
(Separate from IGN special)

Episode 1: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/making-of/...episode-1-l-intelligence-de-lara-00109224.htm

IGN TOMB RAIDER SPECIAL

Monday, 12/10, 5:30PM Pacific (Tuesday 1:30AM GMT, 12:30PM EDT):
Tomb Raider Live Stream
Developer Crystal Dynamics is letting us show you a straight hour of new Tomb Raider content. Then, for another half hour, the creators will be taking your questions live and explaining game mechanics.

1-Hour Gameplay Demo + Creator Q&A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5aeULXrvavY (IGN archive video coming up)

1-Hour Gameplay Demo + Creator Q&A: Alternate link: http://www.twitch.tv/ignlive/b/347030892 (Skip to 34:18)

Tuesday, 12/11: VGA Trailer Rewind Theater
We'll be combing through the latest trailer and pulling out every last detail we can find.

VGA Trailer Rewind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UynsllMaNak

Wednesday, 12/12: The Tombs of Tomb Raider
It's one of the most frequently asked questions about the new game -- Where are the tombs?! Don't worry, they're in there. Join us for a video walkthrough of a few examples.

The Tombs of Tomb Raider gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iecT9D8vTv8

Thursday, 12/13: Upgrading Lara Croft
The new Tomb Raider has RPG elements! We'll be demonstrating how Lara upgrades her skills and equipment.

Upgrading Lara Developer Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v_iQiLlAMs

Friday, 12/14: Tools of Survival Trailer
We'll have an exclusive new trailer exposing the survival skills Lara is forced to learn on this dangerous island.

Absolutely a day 1 purchase for me. In fact, I'm glad South Park got delayed because they were both set for the same day for a while.

The walkthrough actually calmed me a bit. It doesn't look nearly as much like Uncharted as their previous walkthrough and trailers. They really need to start showing people more stuff like that because they've been giving long time fans a very bad impression of what the game is.

Ninjimbo

The stream convinced me anyway. I liked that mini puzzle where
Lara has to go inside a room, fill it with gas, get back out and toss an explosive through a hole to blow it up was pretty cool.

I can't wait to see what they show on Wednesday.

dreamfall

I want to watch the steam, but I'm trying to go on Blackout! Will probably check it out. Is it mostly combat? I just want to see the developers wandering around the world.

Amir0x

Banned
The walkthrough actually calmed me a bit. It doesn't look nearly as much like Uncharted as their previous walkthrough and trailers. They really need to start showing people more stuff like that because they've been giving long time fans a very bad impression of what the game is.

still had glowy ledges, hold-my-hand platforming, an extremely crazy amount of excessive combat and set pieces

honestly, i don't think any long time Tomb Raider fan would be especially calmed by what they saw in the walkthrough. The game is what it is at this point; you either accept it as a dagger to the TR franchise and the start of something new or you get bitter like me :p

still had glowy ledges, hold-my-hand platforming, an extremely crazy amount of excessive combat and set pieces

honestly, i don't think any long time Tomb Raider fan would be especially calmed by what they saw in the walkthrough. The game is what it is at this point; you either accept it as a dagger to the TR franchise and the start of something new or you get bitter like me :p

It's not exactly what I wanted but it's also nowhere near as linear as previous playthroughs or trailers would've lead you to believe. They pointed out a decent amount of exploration that you could do if you weren't trying to progress the story.

The platforming still looks easy, but that really isn't anything new with CD TR's. They took a lot of the difficulty out of the series in that area. You're more likely to die in a gunfight than you're from platforming.

Amir0x

Banned
It's not exactly what I wanted but it's also nowhere near as linear as previous playthroughs or trailers would've lead you to believe. They pointed out a decent amount of exploration that you could do if you weren't trying to progress the story.

The platforming still looks easy, but that really isn't anything new with CD TR's. They took a lot of the difficulty out of the series in that area. You're more likely to die in a gunfight than you're from platforming.

there's easy platforming and then there's no possibility of dying basically platforming. In CD's TR games it was still very possible to miscalculate a jump and fall to your death; it was still possible to fall from a ledge if you don't time something right. They just made the frequency of such occurrences rarer because the platforming was generally easy overall.

From what I've played of Tomb Raider at NYCC 2012 and in the walkthrough video, Tomb Raider platforming is basically Uncharted. You can almost close your eyes and the game will play itself to victory.

Anyway, there's already one other thread I'm complaining about Tomb Raider in so that's my quota or else I'll go insane from all the missed opportunities :p

Roo

They must be getting close to their special announcement then. I hope they talk about it this week!

Wait, what announcement?
what else they could possibly announce?
they already revealed the collector's edition.
Possibly DLC lol

TripOpt55

It calmed me a bit too. It looked like you had to at least find your paths through the environment in the hubs. Plus it was focused on exploring and just jumping around in the hub. This was definitely the best demo I have seen of it.

cameron

Wait, what announcement?
what else they could possibly announce?
they already revealed the collector's edition.
Possibly DLC lol

Perhaps multiplayer?

The DLC is being revealed in stages, so it could be that.

Also, is the OP Wainright's alt account? *trollface*

Finally got to watch the entire live demo.

(Through here, added to OP: 1-Hour Gameplay Demo + Creator Q&A: Alternate link: http://www.twitch.tv/ignlive/b/347030892 (Skip to 34:18))

As a Tomb Raider fan, a had huge reservations about the new direction, but the footage I saw was enough to convince me to purchase this.

Still waiting for Wednesday to see the actual tombs. Will see if it'll compel to make a Day 1 buy.

sublimit

Banned

Exactly.
Seriously it seems as if i saw a whole different video.Those videos are insults to Tomb raider fans.Except if you think Tomb Raider for dummies is actual Tomb raider.

480061_399083323504141_559456968_n.png

380371_399082993504174_382146017_n.png

181878_399082040170936_1014447448_n.png

17900_399082313504242_1219993464_n.png

215105_399082470170893_1295877486_n.png

29594_399082980170842_917561074_n.jpg

28014_399082793504194_1043576348_n.png

268234_399082923504181_1080164477_n.png

483406_399081926837614_276680290_n.png

Salaadin

Incompatible format for mobile :(

Ill watch the video later. The screens look nice. The game looks really nice and i can't wait to see what extra options the pc version gets.

Exactly.
Seriously it seems as if i saw a whole different video.Those videos are insults to Tomb raider fans.Except if you think Tomb Raider for dummies is actual Tomb raider.

Exactly man, you needed to have some real smarts to be able to play the older TR games. Modern day Einstein.

The_Monk

Thank you so much for making this thread with the info needed, will check it out some pieces of info since I don't want to spoil myself too much.

Salaadin

I dont like detective mode at all. Cringed when the guy said "This will show you where to go next!"
What has happened to gaming where some devs feel like they have to tell us where to go instead of just letting us figure it out? Ridiculous.
Might as well just put a big Crazy Taxi arrow on the screen.

I dont like detective mode at all. Cringed when the guy said "This will show you where to go next!"
What has happened to gaming where some devs feel like they have to tell us where to go instead of just letting us figure it out? Ridiculous.

Detective mode is optional. Just don't use it. It only makes sense they don't want first timers or rookies to just quit and never look back. Try to have some sort of understanding that these games are not just made for you.

Megasoum

Banned

Did you also cringe when the same guy said like 5 times in the next 2 minutes that it's compeltly optional and you only use it if you want too?

Grisby

Aiming with guns looks a little weird. Year of the bow will continue heavily.

Lara moves pretty damn quickly.

SykoTech

Walkthrough of the actual tombs on Wednesday. Sounds good.

Not going to watch as these things tend to give away too much, but looking forward to some impressions of that.

Exactly man, you needed to have some real smarts to be able to play the older TR games. Modern day Einstein.

Not so much smarts but the patience of a saint. Tomb Raider was among the first batch of games I played on my PS1 and it was a technical marvel back then, yet practically unplayable now. I mean, those games have dated badly. I do not miss that style.

The ones I played on the PS2, Legend and Anniversary, were largely unremarkable, and nothing more than passable. And Guardian of Light, lol - did anyone give a shit about that game when all is said and done?! I barely remember anything about those titles and that's probably why I don't mind the direction this reboot has headed towards. I'm essentially paying attention to it because it resembles Uncharted more than Tomb Raider; a travesty in a lot of people's minds, but a major plus in my book. Some proper puzzle solving while scaling back the combat would be nice though.

Salaadin

Detective mode is optional. Just don't use it. It only makes sense they don't want first timers or rookies to just quit and never look back. Try to have some sort of understanding that these games are not just made for you.

I dont plan on using it. I just dont like the direction a lot of these games take with stuff like this. Feels so wrong.

Did you also cringe when the same guy said like 5 times in the next 2 minutes that it's compeltly optional and you only use it if you want too.

Wow. Snarky.

So I'm guessing the video doesn't currently work on a mobile device?

Nope. I really thought that most places these days would take mobile into account. 90% of my web browsing is done on a tablet or phone :(

krYlon

Looks better than I expected. A fair bit of exploration and platforming.

Still, would prefer less shootouts.

cameron

I dont plan on using it. I just dont like the direction a lot of these games take with stuff like this. Feels so wrong.

Underworld had a sonar and hint system for navigation and puzzle assistance, but it was clunky and buried in a menu, so people may have missed it. Detective mode in the reboot seems like it's just making the hint/nav system more useable. On the plus side, the fact that it exists could mean there are sections where's it isn't immediately obvious where you need to go or what you have to do next (meaning you have to either explore or use detective vision if exploration isn't your thing).

Top Bottom