• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Media Blowout [IGN Week-long Coverage]

jimi_dini

I wonder who even asked for this pointless crap in a Tomb Raider game?Ok I know that Crystal Dynamics turned the game into Croftcharted and streamlined everything to appeal to more people...but ..this? what audience they aim for with this?

Especially if this game really gets PEGI 18. Who is going to play it? kids? not possible. Fans of the original Tomb Raider series? haha, exactly.

It sort of reminds me of Syndicate. Why call it Tomb Raider/Lara Croft in the first place?

Call it "Survivor - the adventures of Natalie Dreke"

UrbanRats

I'm sure it'll be a decent game to pick up at 20$, though i'm not sure i'll ever be able to get over the butt hurt of that "Tomb Raider" on the cover.
Than again, as i said multiple times, the series has been through worse.

UrbanRats

I wonder who even asked for this pointless crap in a Tomb Raider game?Ok I know that Crystal Dynamics turned the game into Croftcharted and streamlined everything to appeal to more people...but ..this? what audience they aim for with this?
Non-Tomb Raider fans.
The game seems to go for all the popular bullet points, aside from the male dudebro protagonist, shortage for which they're pushing like crazy on how the story is deep and impactful.
Especially if this game really gets PEGI 18. Who is going to play it? kids? not possible. Fans of the original Tomb Raider series? haha, exactly.

Yeah because no kid plays game with PEGI18+. ;)

jimi_dini

Yeah because no kid plays game with PEGI18+. ;)

If those kids are their only audience, good luck with that.

All the other Tomb Raiders were either PEGI 12 or PEGI 16. Most of the time PEGI 12. But this here? I doubt that it will even get PEGI 16. Some of the kills are kind of Manhunt territory. Do they think females playing it will enjoy the brutality?

Derrick01

Banned
Alright things that I saw in the video.

-Typical upgrade system from xp. More of this, more of that, less damage taken blah blah. By the time you get 60% through you'll basically be in God mode.

- Standard weapon upgrade system with no regard to balance. Slap all the upgrades available on to your AK and turn it into an unstoppable death machine. The developer even said "having a hard time with some enemies? Come back later with the upgraded weapons". It should be based on your skill as a player.

- Automatic kills, aka finishers. Nothing I like more than pressing a button and watching something awesome happen.

- Fast travel. Because who needs exploration in a game? Warp to one of 20 locations and follow your map waypoint.

- Enemies are apparently all insane as none of them seem to care about the bow wielding chick trying to kill them. Many of them didn't take cover or use anything that could be construed as a tactic to take you down. Pop out of one of many conveniently placed pieces of cover and shoot everyone until dead.

Even if all of this was well done and balanced, which it won't be, it's hard to have any kind of reaction other than *yaaaawn*. I've seen and done all of this in dozens of games this generation.

jimi_dini

-Typical upgrade system from xp. More of this, more of that, less damage taken blah blah. By the time you get 60% through you'll basically be in God mode.

Yep, I hate that. Like the BioShock difficulty curve. Completely backwards. The first 2 Big Daddies are the most difficult ones. After that it gets easier and easier because of upgrades.

Lime

What seems to be the opinion on this action-blockbuster change of direction outside of Neogaf? I could imagine the usual Tomb Raider fans might not be very glad to see such a drastic change of tone and gameplay. But then again, official forum fans are usually easily manipulated sycophants of the "brand".

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What seems to be the opinion on this action-blockbuster change of direction outside of Neogaf? I could imagine the usual Tomb Raider fans might not be very glad to see such a drastic change of tone and gameplay. But then again, official forum fans are usually easily manipulated sycophants of the "brand".

I'd bet the average gamer who is aware of the brand and icon has no idea that a new game is coming out or any of the changes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'd bet the average gamer who is aware of the brand and icon has no idea that a new game is coming out or any of the changes.

Yeah, for the mass market, generally their first exposure to the game would be Game Informer, then the VGAs, and then when the TV ads starting rolling.

It will be hard to tell the reaction until we see sales, both up front and longer term, since word of mouth also becomes quite important to the audience that isn't heavily engaged.

Youtube view counts (especially view counts) and trailer ratings are also a decent barometer of how many people are being engaged by the game that might not look at a gaming site outside of IGN (if even that much).

Edit:

Two of their biggest trailers are 5 million and 2 million views, so they're getting around RE6 levels of exposure on the trailer level at least. The real follow-up is how much advertising (and how effective it is) Square Enix does when the thing launches.

sublimit

Banned

The kids and trolls in the TR forums love everything about it but this is not surprising since most hardcore TR fans have stopped posting there a long time ago.The majority of them haven't even played the games before Crystal took over (no, watching your dad play the original games doesn't count) and the discussions are always about Lara (be it her hair,her fingernails,her face) or about the story and characters.
Anyone who even dares to criticize something about the game there will be flamed instantly and moderators will close any negative threads about the game.

v1oz

This looks and sounds more like Uncharted than Tomb Raider. They should call it Tomb Raider: Uncharted Origins. They already designed Lara Croft antithetic to what the character stood for throughout the entire lifetime of the series in so far that the game hardly resembles Tomb Raider any more.

They've also dumbed down Lara Croft quite significantly, in much the same way Nintendo did to Samus with Other M.

UrbanRats

The kids and trolls in the TR forums love everything about it but this is not surprising since most hardcore TR fans have stopped posting there a long time ago.The majority of them haven't even played the games before Crystal took over (no, watching your dad play the original games doesn't count) and the discussions are always about Lara (be it her hair,her fingernails,her face) or about the story and characters.
Anyone who even dares to criticize something about the game there will be flamed instantly and moderators will close any negative threads about the game.

Yeah i stopped visiting those forums some years ago (a bit after Legends came out).
I remember though, when Underworld came out on one of those forums (a major Italian one) someone suggested that it would've been cool if you could've taken Lara's Yatch in the mediterranean level, and go about looking for other people's yatch to party and stuff (in the vein of Test Drive Unlimited 2, to make it short).
I remember being speechless, reading everyone agreeing with the OP and being really excited about the idea.

Still better than the shit i read on GTA fan forums, though.

Eh who knows, maybe CD is "cracking the code" with this approach, and evidently i'm a peculiar Tomb Raider fan (that's in it for the.. ehm.. Tomb Raiding).

sublimit

Banned
Yeah i stopped visiting those forums some years ago (a bit after Legends came out).
I remember though, when Underworld came out on one of those forums (a major Italian one) someone suggested that it would've been cool if you could've taken Lara's Yatch in the mediterranean level, and go about looking for other people's yatch to party and stuff (in the vein of Test Drive Unlimited 2, to make it short).
I remember being speechless, reading everyone agreeing with the OP and being really excited about the idea.

Yup sounds exactly like the Tomb Raider forums.
The sad thing though is that it wasn't always like that.Around the time of AoD and before the release of Legend it was a much better forum.I remember many posters from that time who made intelligent discussions (that were focused on gameplay rather than cosmetics).But with the release of Legend it seems as if Crystal brought not only a new type of gameplay but with it they also brought a new type of fan as well.Arrogant,rude,Lara-obsessed,without the slightest sense of critical thought.They wouldn't even care if Crystal made TR an on rails FPS as long as it had TR on the title,it was made by crystal and had Lara in it.Anyone who dared to have a critical opinion about Crystal's games was being insulted and ridiculed by the usual Crystal Defense Force.And they were free to insult other members as no one was ever getting banned.
So it's not surprising that in that type of environment many of the older fans gradually started to leave the forum and honestly i can't blame them in the slightest.

There are still a few members that haven't yet been brainwashed by Crystal's PR but they are posting less and less often since the overall quality of the forum has become very low and they are tired by the constant flaming they get every time they write something that dares to criticize Crystal's games and choices.

so tombs are an afterthought in this game? nothing but an optional sidequest? fuck. that. shit. I want tomb raider, not TPS #341. I hope this doesn't sell well but I have a sinking feeling it will. The portrayal of lara sucks, the whole xp system sucks, and thr gameplay looks bland as heck.The worse thing is, other than the hardcore fanbase, no one would care. Eveyone is into this instant gradification bullshit. oy!

sublimit

Banned
so tombs are an afterthought in this game? nothing but an optional sidequest? fuck. that. shit. I want tomb raider, not TPS #341. I hope this doesn't sell well but I have a sinking feeling it will. The portrayal of lara sucks, the whole xp system sucks, and thr gameplay looks bland as heck.The worse thing is, other than the hardcore fanbase, no one would care. Eveyone is into this instant gradification bullshit. oy!

It will definitely sell well.They are implementing every trend that is currently hot in the industry and SE will push the game like there's no tomorrow as well as moneyhatting every big site for favourable review scores.

I bet my life that the game will get 9-10's from all major sites and especially from IGN and Game Informer (they already look as if they are part of the game's PR campaign lol).

Derrick01

Banned

I want to do an avatar quote sooooo bad right now :p

But you're not wrong here regardless.

Bollocks said:
Just stay out of this thread and let people who genuinely look forward to this game a platform for discussion.

Seems like this happens with every shit looking game. Positive discussion only or I might get sad!

Bollocks

The type of audience who plays GOTY material.
I wonder who even asked for comments like this every time the thread gets bumped?
Just stay out of this thread and let people who genuinely look forward to this game a platform for discussion.

If Derrick01 won't, I will

image.php

Derrick01

Banned
The constant negative attitude in these threads is pretty annoying though, and mostly poisons the well for any real discussion.

I posted impressions on the RPG video and no one seemed to want to talk about it. I don't think anyone's interested in discussion and just want to have blind optimism.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
On the very last level of the original 1996 Tomb Raider. Man, talk about a game with balls. If this reboot is even just 70% as difficult, it will be good.

Since I’ve been banned I’ve been itching to say for a while now that the IGN footage has seriously blown me away. I haven’t been this excited for a Tomb Raider since – well......ever!

Graphically (easily looks like one of the prettiest this gen), the attention to detail and overall atmosphere look amazing. This has now shot up to my most anticipated game. Can't wait!

Anteater

Only saw the first ep for that survival video, not sure if I want to watch any more since it seems like it might spoil a lot of puzzle solving stuff, it looks like a lot of fun but I wonder how big the map and how open it is, since it showed a lot of the same areas and the linear platforming sections in the videos, but seems to have a lot of variety in terms of puzzle solving and character progression.

I hope the puzzles and exploration aren't as stupid and linear as uncharted games

Only saw the first ep for that survival video, not sure if I want to watch any more since it seems like it might spoil a lot of puzzle solving stuff, it looks like a lot of fun but I wonder how big the map and how open it is, since it showed a lot of the same areas and the linear platforming sections in the videos, but seems to have a lot of variety in terms of puzzle solving and character progression.

I hope the puzzles and exploration aren't as stupid and linear as uncharted games

The game’s basic structure/hub reminds me of Prince of Persia 2008.

Top Bottom