• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Media Blowout [IGN Week-long Coverage]

RagnarokX

Good on them for skipping the puzzle, and seeing as you're none too happy that the treasure is a "spoiler map", you should be glad too, assuming yours and my definitions of the word "spoiler" are the same.

They could have shown more of the puzzle since a chief concern about the game is how little of the game seems to be about puzzles and challenging platforming. They could have shown quick glances of these supposed more ancient tombs from later in the game.

The problem with the map is that it's a lame prize showing you where the fetch quest crap is. Based on yesterday's video, the stuff is just sitting out in the open and looks like just busywork.

VJ8tl.jpg

The only thing on that list that sounds fun is Tombs Raided

Should be a mixture or large a small puzzles. It's looks like some of the later ones will require a little more timing. Detective ~ er instinct mode is pretty noticeable. The tombs will provide a reward of possibly: xp, salvage points, a directions to another tomb.
Rewards sound, well, wrong.

I remember playing one of the Fable games and finding an out of the way secret area in a dungeon guarded by bad guys. After clearing them out there was a golden chest awaiting me for my reward. I kicked open the chest, and out popped - a silver key. Just one of several I'd have to collect to open a separate silver chest, where there just might be something worth cherishing. Talk about a letdown.

So, if tombs are there to scratch the itch of us old school explorer/spelunkers, why would the reward be something that actively shortcuts further exploration?

No sir, I just don't understand it. Of course, these are my impressions from reading your impressions of a video I won't watch, so there's always that.

Amir0x

Banned
Hm. As long as the tomb shown at 7:00 really is just a small taste, with larger tombs later in the game, I'm in.

Lara's leap-and-grab animation looks really odd - very floaty and linear, with very little arc.

I don't know, because so far they just made it sound like they have the equivalent of Lara Croft: Guardian of Light's challenge tombs in the game, which is quaint if done right (and if you can actually die often in platforming... that the window of opportunity for jumps is suitably small... otherwise the whole game is worthless), but doesn't actually replace huge multilayered tombs with complex many leveled puzzles that you must complete to get to the end of it all. These things should take hours to complete!

Still, at least if challenge tombs are in (provided the platforming isn't as weaksauce as it has been in every hands-on, gameplay preview and detail we've received), then we know at least one thing should be captivating in the game :D

TripOpt55

These last two videos have really turned me around. I was worried, but the hub looks really fun to jump around in and explore and optional hidden puzzle tombs is a cool idea. Assuming the puzzles are fun since they didn't show it. I don't mind the setpiece combat-y parts if they are just bits between the hubs even if they are not ideal. I hope there are a lot of hubs though. Lots.

I want to find stuff on my own though. I will have to try and just never turn the map on. They really shouldn't point out relics and stuff like that on there.

RagnarokX

I don't know, because so far they just made it sound like they have the equivalent of Lara Croft: Guardian of Light's challenge tombs in the game, which is quaint if done right (and if you can actually die often in platforming... that the window of opportunity for jumps is suitably small... otherwise the whole game is worthless), but doesn't actually replace huge multilayered tombs with complex many leveled puzzles that you must complete to get to the end of it all. These things should take hours to complete!

Still, at least if challenge tombs are in (provided the platforming isn't as weaksauce as it has been in every hands-on, gameplay preview and detail we've received), then we know at least one thing should be captivating in the game :D

He says there are full tombs. They show a puzzle from one, which isn't so much a tomb as it's a scavenger bomb-making depot. He says later there are more ancient tombs, but neglects to show any examples. Yesterday we saw an hour of gameplay that was almost non-stop point to point shooting.

Ninjimbo

Wish I could've seen the solution but whatever. It's going to be day 1 for me. I'm impressed with how the game looks and plays.

sleepykyo

Jesus Lara take a jacket off of one of your enemies.

But perky boobs. And if the jacket is too large, it'll cover her butt.

Rewards sound, well, wrong.
So, if tombs are there to scratch the itch of us old school explorer/spelunkers, why would the reward be something that actively shortcuts further exploration?

New school design. All games need to have a rpg like leveling so xp rewards are necessary.

Yeah the jacket thing is bugging me to. Such a ridiculous thing to get hung up on really but no way would you venture through rain and snow in just a tank top.

Sojgat

Yeah the jacket thing is bugging me to. Such a ridiculous thing to get hung up on really but no way would you venture through rain and snow in just a tank top.

I know Lara's signature look is that singlet top, but if she's running around like that for the entire game it's going to start bugging me as much as Far Cry 3's mini map. It's raining and snowing, and she's caked with mud, she'd get pneumonia. It's highlighted even more by the upgrade/checkpoints being campfires where her animations make her look like she's freezing.

tr_best_buy_thumb.jpg

I see that there are pre-order exclusive skins, so there could be some outfit changes in the standard game.

B-Dex

So here is a video showcasing the tombs guys... Well actually this is a cave where the island guys are collecting sea junk... we're gonna skip ahead to this mini-tomb experience that isn't part of the main game. Walks into a cave, skips the main portion of the "tomb", shows Lara opening a chest zelda style.....

Amir0x

Banned
So here is a video showcasing the tombs guys... Well actually this is a cave where the island guys are collecting sea junk... we're gonna skip ahead to this mini-tomb experience that isn't part of the main game. Walks into a cave, skips the main portion of the "tomb", shows Lara opening a chest zelda style.....

if nothing else if the game does surprise us and turns out to play anything like a Tomb Raider game we will look back quizzically at the Tomb Raider PR campaign as the most bizarre abortion of anti-hype, mixed messages and odd statements there ever was in this game industry :p

RagnarokX

if nothing else if the game does surprise us and turns out to play anything like a Tomb Raider game we will look back quizzically at the Tomb Raider PR campaign as the most bizarre abortion of anti-hype, mixed messages and odd statements there ever was in this game industry :p

They say that the island has signs of civilizations from multiple cultures and time periods, but so far everything has had a distinctly Japanese/Chinese style. Even the WW2 era base is a Japanese base and they say that the Japanese government tried to harness the power of the island. Plus Laura is able to get a signal out and communicate with the outside world. I think stuff like that, plus the massive amount of humans already on the island, kinda detracts from the feeling of discovery and mystery.

I know Lara's signature look is that singlet top, but if she's running around like that for the entire game it's going to start bugging me as much as Far Cry 3's mini map. It's raining and snowing, and she's caked with mud, she'd get pneumonia. It's highlighted even more by the upgrade/checkpoints being campfires where her animations make her look like she's freezing.

tr_best_buy_thumb.jpg

I see that there are pre-order exclusive skins, so there could be some outfit changes in the standard game.

Hopefully something like that exists in the game. Yeah sitting by the campfire freezing annoyed me as well. "So Lara you're sitting there by the campfire hoping the keep warm in a tank top in hard rain, have you really thought this through?"

Could someone explain how these "hubs" work? Is the game simply a compilation of open world "hub" levels?

Also, anyone know what platform this IGN preview was running on?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
in all honesty I don't see anything good in the tomb video, it actually expose how the automatic jumps ruin the entire thing. and we she finally entered the "tomb" it's ..well ..a fucking narrow corridor. (also whats up the the awful animation? )

I lost all hopes with the VGA horrible trailer and this IGN "coverage" is doing nothing to change that.

Tagg9

in all honesty I don't see anything good in the tomb video, it actually expose how the automatic jumps ruin the entire thing. and we she finally entered the "tomb" it's ..well ..a fucking narrow corridor. (also whats up the the awful animation? )

I lost all hopes with the VGA horrible trailer and this IGN "coverage" is doing nothing to change that.

This is unfortunately what I saw as well.

I don't quite understand how you guys are excited by the "Tomb" video. Was there some really creative puzzle in the video that I missed?

Tomb video is ok, but I'm getting more of a dirty MacGyver vibe than a Tomb Raider vibe.

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm in full "wait and see" mode, almost no matter what else they show.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
There was a distinct lack of shooting.

There was nothing really,aside from automatic jumps and bad animations.

it failed to give the old fans the classic Tomb Raider's tomb exploring or anything close to it at least, which I think was the point of the video,but it just fail completely in this regard...it's just sad.

Popcicle

Hot Texas Chili
Square Enix Members put out its own preview (beware its long) and we include the transcript of the live stream Q&A Monday for your convenience.

Not much more than you probably already knew, but hope you enjoy the perspective from a long time fan.

Likewise, we'll have another portion this week featuring a discussion on Gameplay and also hopefully a Q&A of our own we hope to put out!

http://na.square-enix.com/tombraider/go/article/view/blog/261183/tomb_raider_square_enix_members_preview:_part_1

dEvAnGeL

man the HATE I've read on some posts on this thread goes from weird to ??? i guess is hard for some people to let go of some images of the past, games evolve and sadly due to technical limitations most games these days are becoming an interactive movie, does that mean the games are bad? well no, just look at the walking dead , brilliant game ..... now...people keep criticizing the game because it looks to much like uncharted, is that really a bad thing? i don't think so, uncharted games are great and if tomb raider needs to take ideas than why not from the best of the genre at this moment? still, keeping everyone happy will always be a chore for developers, if you don't change the game then you're a cheap developer and you're just milking the franchise but if you try something different then you just suck and the game should have stayed the way it was, everything i have seen it looks very interesting to me, only time will tell who was right on the criticism, regardless i just hope the game turns out well because we need more games like these in a market completely flooded with first person shooters

man the HATE I've read on some posts on this thread goes from weird to ??? i guess is hard for some people to let go of some images of the past, games evolve and sadly due to technical limitations most games these days are becoming an interactive movie, does that mean the games are bad?
Technical limitations?

dEvAnGeL

Technical limitations?
pretty much every pc game nowadays is a console port and due to the old hardware in order to make a game look pretty to the eyes ( because this generation of gamers focus their attention more on graphics then on gameplay itself, an example would be the console wars, all calming the game look better on their console ) due to that games tend to be more linear and big action scenes oriented, something that would caught your eye, not all is lost, we still have a few games that give us freedom but the truth is that the number have dramatically been lowered

RagnarokX

Wednesday, 12/12: The Tombs of Tomb Raider
It's one of the most frequently asked questions about the new game -- Where are the tombs?! Don't worry, they're in there. Join us for a video walkthrough of one sort-of example.
fixed

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Looks alright I guess. Hopefully at least on the PC version there's an option to turn off the constant reminders to use idiot mode.

from the example they gave us..both the "tomb like experience" (lolz) and it's puzzles are flat and mindless as the ones in Uncharted games, I don't think turning off everything will help anyone to feel smarter (there is even drawings and crap that show you the way)

Derrick01

Banned
from the example they gave us..both the "tomb like experience" (lolz) and it's puzzles are flat and mindless as the ones in Uncharted games, I don't think turning off everything will help anyone to feel smarter (there is even drawings and crap that show you the way)

I just don't want to be spammed reminders like in Far Cry 3. I have enough willpower to just not use idiot mode but being told I should use it every 10 seconds is annoying.

I love those moments you get in a Tomb Raider game, or something like Portal. Where you just stop and examine the environment towering before you, and you're completely stumped by whatever the hell it is you're supposed to do. Just sitting there, looking around, brows furrowed. What the hell am I supposed to-

So you clamber around a bit, maybe find a nice section of high ground, try to take the whole scene in from different angles. Slowly but surely this massive, intricate area starts to reveal its patterns. Little by little you start to apprehend that there's a logic at work. You single out different areas and examine their particular plays and features. You start to treat them like legos, and put them together in different sequences until something clicks - you get a whiff of inspiration and just go for it.

Great games give the player an aha moment, through examination, deduction, experimentation and plain old mental leaps. But you have to start with being dumbfounded.

Making a player feel lost and aimless may be considered by many to be bad game design, or inappropriate for a wider audience, but its necessary to create lasting moments and fond memories. We don't like Lara because of her story, we like her (and the name Tomb Raider) because we associate that character and that name with our own states when we nailed a tricky sequence, figured out a huge puzzle area, or missed a jump and fell 10 stories onto spikes.

To the extent players can have those moments in this new game, I'll consider it Tomb Raider.

Keep in mind what they are showing is pretty much the beginning of the game. That first "tomb" bomb thing they showed is literally the game's first puzzle, so of course it won't be that hard. And the other "tomb" is the first hidden tomb in the game, so of course they are going to try and make it obnoxiously easy to find so you know they exists that there will be a point in exploring every area. Not sure how anyone can say with surety the puzzles will be no more challenging that Uncharted's lame excuse for puzzles based entirely off the opening tutorial puzzle.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Keep in mind what they are showing is pretty much the beginning of the game. That first "tomb" bomb thing they showed is literally the game's first puzzle, so of course it won't be that hard. And the other "tomb" is the first hidden tomb in the game, so of course they are going to try and make it obnoxiously easy to find so you know they exists that there will be a point in exploring every area. Not sure how anyone can say with surety the puzzles will be no more challenging that Uncharted's lame excuse for puzzles based entirely off the opening tutorial puzzle.

For now that what CD shows, Uncharted level of puzzle for kids and brainless players, sure I don't know if there is super duper puzzle hidden inside the game, then again I doubt there will be much different tombs and puzzles since they are just side crap in this games.

And beginning of the game is not really an excuse especially in TR case, a franchise that always give you great platforming sections and real puzzle in the beginning of your adventure.

let take Tomb Raider Legend-which was a reboot and the "weakest" one of the three CD games-the first level (Bolivia) not only put you in one amazing 3D platforming section from the get go but also throw the three cages puzzle as your first puzzle in the game(with tigers).

What was shown in the video don't even count as a kiddie puzzle if you compare it to Legends,Underworld, or Anniversary (I try to not even bring the Core games here)everything look liner as all fuck,narrow corridors are now "tombs-like experience", and the drawings that show you the way to the caves just add insult to injury

UrbanRats

That... would actually be a cool idea. A real cool idea, maybe, provided it's hide more like Amnesia and not like a lame run-away maze shit like Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

I think removing the combat except MAYBE for a few bosses and basic enemies but mostly having you avoid them and hide because they're extremely dangerous would allow the game a renewed focus on what the series has always been about. And because they have all this climbing specific gear, they can get a pretty complex and difficult with the climbing mechanics. Platforming hell >:)
Exactly.
I always loved the concept (read: CONCEPT) of Condemned 2's Bear segment, aside from it being all scripted.
I like the idea of something that has became very mundane in gaming (Tomb Raider included) given a very important "weight".
I think it would add to the intensity, having one or two very deadly and near invincible bears, instead of an horde of them to shoot down.
And yes, i agree it shouldn't be shit like Shattered Memories, but more like Amnesia; that is not to say there couldn't be any action segments or fast paced moments.

Since someone mentioned Demon's Souls as a joke before, the part in DeS 2-2 where you're in
the narrow tunnels, with these big worms blocking the way
, felt incredibly claustrophobic to me, without mentioning scary as shit, because you were actually in danger of dying, and it wasn't all a pretty QTE where Lara tells you you're in danger, but you know you just have to push up on the stick and mash that X button.
Also yeah, bosses wouldn't be bad, instead of shooting them, maybe you'd have to bring them down using all your nice tools in creative ways, games like Zelda or Soul Reaver already did this anyway.

Brotherhood more Tomb Raider than Tomb Raider confirmed.
He wasn't kidding with the "bite-sized" comment.

jimi_dini

"tomb-like"

"Survival Instincts - Press LB to examine the environment" - every 20 seconds, because the player is stoopid

"markings on the wall to introduce the player to secrets" what?

"Inaccessible Tomb - Climbing Equipment required to enter" you don't say

"Tombs - Explore Tombs to discover secret rewards" what?

"Map location updated - secret tomb nearby" Crystal Dynamics should look up what secret means. And the player obviously discovered the entrace before, so why show this at all?

"bite-size example of a tomb"

"Optional tomb - tomb of the unworthy" and a second later "New camp discovered - tomb of the unworthy"

smh

I want to die.

i guess is hard for some people to let go of some images of the past, games evolve and sadly due to technical limitations most games these days are becoming an interactive movie, does that mean the games are bad?

first: yes, these games are bad. Even children are not that dumb. And I bet this one will get rated at least 16+. As a kid, I was able to play through King's Quest V, without any walkthrough or internet.
second: actually it's this way, because some game developers think people are totally stoopid. Additionally because of the power of the console generation, they are able to get away with it using flashy graphics. If someone tried this shit on PS1 (or even before that), it would have failed.

Remember how Underworld started? That's tomb raiding, on a large scale no less. They should've renamed this reboot Coffin Raider.

Top Bottom