• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Media Blowout [IGN Week-long Coverage]

Remember how Underworld started? That's tomb raiding, on a large scale no less. They should've renamed this reboot Coffin Raider.
I agree, I'm not saying a game can't start out on a large scale with complex puzzles and stuff. What I'm saying is this is a reboot of the franchise and they're trying to get a larger audience, so it makes sense to start off simple and progress to the complex stuff.

But who knows, just wishful thinking on my part that it will open up a lot later in the game.

Akainu

tr_best_buy_thumb.jpg
But why isn't it zipped up all the way?

DieH@rd

Banned
"tomb-like"

"Survival Instincts - Press LB to examine the environment" - every 20 seconds, because the player is stoopid

"markings on the wall to introduce the player to secrets" what?

"Inaccessible Tomb - Climbing Equipment required to enter" you don't say

"Tombs - Explore Tombs to discover secret rewards" what?

"Map location updated - secret tomb nearby" Crystal Dynamics should look up what secret means. And the player obviously discovered the entrace before, so why show this at all?

"bite-size example of a tomb"

"Optional tomb - tomb of the unworthy" and a second later "New camp discovered - tomb of the unworthy"

smh

I want to die.
Developer said in that video that main path of the game will have larger and more complicated toombs. I have nothing against these hidden ones.

sublimit

Banned
I like how in the "Tomb" video there are multiple signs on the walls pointing out where the Tomb is located just incase you might miss it lol.
"We wanted to bring that sense of discovery" my ass.

Hammer24

Banned
VJ8tl.jpg

Looks like the map interface is straight from Assassin's Creed.

Assassin Croft: Lara´s Creed :(
Man, I fully understand the tech sharing between Ubi´s games. But it starts to look as if they start to share all the mechanics too.
So why would I want to buy all this games? Buy one and you played them all...

Assassin Croft: Lara´s Creed :(
Man, I fully understand the tech sharing between Ubi´s games. But it starts to look as if they start to share all the mechanics too.
So why would I want to buy all this games? Buy one and you played them all...
Tomb Raider isn't made by Ubisoft :p

Derrick01

Banned
Developer said in that video that main path of the game will have larger and more complicated toombs. I have nothing against these hidden ones.

Yeah I guess they earn the benefit of the doubt there. Even if it's dumbed down and easy I still expect the late game tombs to be hidden better and slightly more difficult.

The worst problem with this game is they keep telling us what it has but can't or won't show us. It took them until this week just to show a hub off while every other video was super linear, setpiece driven and full of horrible QTEs.

Hammer24 said:
Wut? So why does it look like a FarCry3/AssCreed crossover??
mind blown

They're taking the worst popular elements of most recent popular video games. Notice how it has detective vision from Batman too.

Lime

So, the blatant rip-offs are of the following blockbuster games:

• Batman: Arkham series
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Uncharted
  • Nintendo's Non-Swimming Mama

Any other "influences" that I forgot to mention?

Hammer24

Banned
They're taking the worst popular elements of most recent popular video games. Notice how it has detective vision from Batman too.

On the latest batch of screens I always expected the "Uplay-action completed" sign to pop up.
Why are they nerfing it down so much that it becomes completely generic? The original formula of the game worked perfectly, and as far as I´m aware of the games market reception it sold not just for the boob physics.
This game went from day1 to bargain bin for me.

Edit:

Any other "influences" that I forgot to mention?

I´m getting strong Far Cry 3 vibes when you see Lara with the bow walking over metal ledges towards a signal tower.

So this far we have all this copied elements:

Auto plataforming - AC/Uncharted

Collect-a-tons - Batman games/AC

Optional tombs - AC

Detective mode - Batman games/AC

Shooting mechanics - Uncharted

Scripted sequences that gives a false sense of danger - Uncharted

Protagonist talks a lot with herself - Uncharted

Having items/abilities giving the sense of playing a very shitty metroid game - Batman games

Anymore?

Hindle

Banned
It will be hilarious if this sells less then Underworld. The point being they rebooted due to the low sales of that game.

Which means thy will have to reboot again.

Derrick01

Banned
Minor nitpick but the useless-collectible-for-achievements/trophies thing is in just about every modern game and we can thank Bioshock for that.

At least the audio tapes in Bioshock were interesting to listen to. It's a shame none of these games copied that part, just the achievement part.

Minor nitpick but the useless-collectible-for-achievements/trophies thing is in just about every modern game and we can thank Bioshock for that.

At least the audio tapes in Bioshock were interesting to listen to. It's a shame none of these games copied that part, just the achievement part.

Oh well, I guess Bioshock came earlier than the first AC, but just for a few days. I think it was more apparent and dull on the first AC.

Hindle

Banned
If they would have used Arkham Asylum as the main influence, the game wouldn't look as bad IMO. It's all of the linear crap that makes it look so bad.

Lord Phol

Because games industry.

i.e. game developer demographics in 2005: Male = 88.5%, Female = 11.5%

Dunno if serious, but it doesn't even show anything. Pretty sure it's just a design choice, I don't run around with my jackets and sweaters zipped up all the way up either.

jett

D-Member
I see no Tomb Raidering here. I see Tombcharting: Protector's Creed.

And that jumping animation is really strange, it looks like Lara floats in mid air.

Kikujiro

Dunno if serious, but it doesn't even show anything. Pretty sure it's just a design choice, I don't run around with my jackets and sweaters zipped up all the way up either.

I hope they are joking too, because if that's considered sexist I really don't know what to think. It's not even showing any cleavage.

Lara had a jacket in past TRs, but she still used to wear shorts in the snow. It was pretty stupid.

jimi_dini

It will be hilarious if this sells less then Underworld. The point being they rebooted due to the low sales of that game.

Which means thy will have to reboot again.

If Core Design is still alive.
-> give it to Core Design.

Let Crystal Dynamics build the engine, but don't let them touch game design, level design, graphics, story, etc.

Ahasverus

It's pretty obvious. Because it looks like every other AAA game released in the last 3 years, with every dumbed down modern feature that makes it boring as hell to play.

Eh.. no? If anything reminds me of AC2 Tombs with less focus on platfforming and more in ecxplroation.. Just like.. Tomb Raider?

Seriously, I've played Legends, and this looks just like it, with a different uncharted-y art style. That's the biggest difference I think.

If Core Design is still alive.
-> give it to Core Design.

Let Crystal Dynamics build the engine, but don't let them touch game design, level design, graphics, story, etc.

Core Design is dead. Their own anniversary tittle looked very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtvNYM1wY7s

Eh.. no? If anything reminds me of AC2 Tombs with less focus on platfforming and more in ecxplroation.. Just like.. Tomb Raider?

Seriously, I've played Legends, and this looks just like it, with a different uncharted-y art style. That's the biggest difference I think.

Legends dosn't have autoplataforming, just for starters.

And since when Tomb Raider dosn't have focus on plataforming? Hell it was about plataforming, puzzles and exploration. They have much less focus on combat also.

Liamario

Banned
Looks too much like Uncharted. That's what I play uncharted for and that's why I won't be playing this. Looks good though.

So the gist of the Tomb Raider reboot is this:

Tomb Raider is invented
Tomb Raider is the muse that influences Uncharted
Tomb Raider then copies Uncharted leaving its roots behind

Oy...

Balehead

Her turning into a borderline sobbing mess in cutscenes is pretty hilarious as just moments ago she slaughtered a bunch of mercenaries in a gunfight, reloading her weapons like a navy seal under fire and scoring brutal headshots with her bowmanship.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Not from the IGN special, but seconds of new gameplay nonetheless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHVM-d-xaYk

This is the same linear set pieces they always show, do they even have different levels?

The action-croftcharted- parts are very weak compared to Uncharted,the "hub" and the exploring are laughable and there is lack of real 3D platforming and the "tomb-like experience" are just pathetic and should not even compared to classic TR.

if Crystal Dynamics have anything actually good and close to the old TR games they didn't show (highly doubt it), it's the time..because this is really bad.

Yeah I guess they earn the benefit of the doubt there. Even if it's dumbed down and easy I still expect the late game tombs to be hidden better and slightly more difficult.

people also thought Hitman: Absolution will have a real hidden Hitman game latter on.....

thing is.. if they don't show it already to the fans they don't have it.

Derrick01

Banned
people also thought Hitman: Absolution will have a real hidden Hitman game latter on.....

thing is.. if they don't show it already to the fans they don't have it.

I get what you're saying but what can they do? You want them to spoil all the secret tombs in the later parts of the game just to make sure they're up to standard? What if they are, then you just spoiled it for yourself and know the solutions.

TripOpt55

I can't really say shooting lanterns is something I'd like to do, but I have always enjoyed searching for hidden treasures in TR games. I see a lot of complaining about the collectathon elements in here, but you guys did also enjoy looking for hidden treasures in other TR games right? If they use alternate paths that you have to find and even the gear gating sometimes to hide relics away in the hubs, those will be fun to explore for right? Even other collectibles will be fun if it has me exploring every corner and searching for alternate routes with the hubs and involves kind of that finding the right route type of platforming. I mean I am not sure how well they will implement this though (I only skimmed through the hub video because I don't like to see too much of the game before playing).

nel e nel

I can't really say shooting lanterns is something I'd like to do, but I have always enjoyed searching for hidden treasures in TR games. I see a lot of complaining about the collectathon elements in here, but you guys did also enjoy looking for hidden treasures in other TR games right? If they use alternate paths that you have to find and even the gear gating sometimes to hide relics away in the hubs, those will be fun to explore for right? Even other collectibles will be fun if it has me exploring every corner and searching for alternate routes with the hubs and involves kind of that finding the right route type of platforming. I mean I am not sure how well they will implement this though (I only skimmed through the hub video because I don't like to see too much of the game before playing).

Other TR games? Heck, I enjoyed hunting down all the secret bananas in Donkey Kong 64.

Any complaints about useless collectathons being novel to this generation are either clueless or have short memories.

sleepykyo

Looks great don't see why everyone's giving it such grief , Day 1 for me.

Because, while the game looks great, it doesn't have what fans of previous installments liked about franchise. The complaints seems to be fairly specific, seems more like a case of don't want to see as opposed to don't see.

jimi_dini

Core Design is dead. Their own anniversary tittle looked very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtvNYM1wY7s

Should have checked wiki. Defunct in 2006, then bought by Rebellion into Rebellion Derby and that one got closed down in 2010 :( Where did the people go?

from wiki:
Days later, SCI, the owners of Eidos Interactive at that time, issued a press release announcing that Crystal Dynamics would be producing the game, rather than Core Design.

Anyone knows, if the released Anniversary was based on the Core Design one or did Crystal Dynamics create it from scratch?

Lime

yay, slow motion breach shit just like COD. This is quite possibly the most creatively bankrupt game I've seen in a long time..

They probably didn't hire any game designers for this game and instead got their programmers to just copy+paste the code of Uncharted, Call of Duty. Arkham City and Assassin's Creed.

Derrick01

Banned
I estimate that I will roll my eyes at the "RPG elements" video no less than 4 times. I'm pretty sure I can already predict everything it will have based on most modern games.

Top Bottom