• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Media Blowout [IGN Week-long Coverage]

Derrick01

Banned
Those screens are pretty ugly. Thankfully the PC version should be a lot better looking with nixxes behind the wheel. I might even try it out if I can find it for the normal $30 GMG price.

I'm not a big TR fan but isn't she way too talkative in here?

But drake talks a lot and we're copying uncharted so she has to talk all of the time!

dralla

I wish they'd get rid of the regenerative health and QTEs, they feel out of place for a game going for a more realistic approach, it also makes the combat look kinda dull.

Everything else looks really good though.

I dont plan on using it. I just dont like the direction a lot of these games take with stuff like this. Feels so wrong.
It's a service to newcomers of gaming or for people who are just stuck and don't have all day and week to play a game.

Some people forget how often they got stuck in the old days when they just started gaming.

For this game, with all its problems, this is def. a non issue.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Not as much as of an Uncharted clone as I was expecting. Very excited for this game.

And Lara isn't nearly as talkative as Nathan. As much as I like Drake, the guy never shuts up.

UrbanRats

Finished the playthrough part, that was kinda painful to watch, not much because it's that shit (it ain't no BigRigs) but because you could see a few good sparks and nice details in there, but they get piled on by a constant stream of shitty cinematic gamedesign mechanic.
Also, enemies every 9 seconds, ugh.

tci

The walk-through resolved some of my skepticism with the game. Some parts feels too much story driven, but I think it still will be a enjoyable experience. I will go into a blackout now until the release.

From what I've played of Tomb Raider at NYCC 2012 and in the walkthrough video, Tomb Raider platforming is basically Uncharted. You can almost close your eyes and the game will play itself to victory.

Anyway, there's already one other thread I'm complaining about Tomb Raider in so that's my quota or else I'll go insane from all the missed opportunities :p
While that is true of Uncharted games, I want to see someone actually try this in a video for this game. From this 1 hour thing, it doesn't seem as automatic...the dude spectacularly fails a jump around 1:01:55.

Maybe the tombs video on Wednesday will highlight what it's really like, and whether the platforming will be a puzzle.

Agreed.It really breaks the immersion for me as well as the feeling of isolation.

I've always felt the opposite, oddly enough. If characters don't talk, it breaks the immersion for me. Cause when shit's getting weird or crazy, it doesn't make sense they wouldn't think or say anything about it.

C.T.

Agreed.It really breaks the immersion for me as well as the feeling of isolation.

Especially when the main character talks with himself IMO. Lara in that trailer looked more like a character in a teeny horror flick. (Scared, didn't know what to do, talked with herself.) Of course it's an extreme situation and she is trying to help and is also anxious, but her behaviour looked out of character for me. Isn't she suppossed to be level-headed adventurer? I know they try to do something new, I'm not sure this is supposed to be a sort of prequel but at least that's the image I have of her. I don't want to be too judgemental though and watch more footage. Animation could need some improvements especially when compared to Uncharted.

sublimit

Banned
I've always felt the opposite, oddly enough. If characters don't talk, it breaks the immersion for me. Cause when shit's getting weird or crazy, it doesn't make sense they wouldn't think or say anything about it.

And that's perfectly fine but for some other game.
Tomb Raider (with the exception of Legend) was always about the feeling of isolation and listening to ambient sounds or the heavy breathing and footsteps of enemies approaching you before you could even see them.

Especially when the main character talks with himself IMO. Lara in that trailer looked more like a character in a teeny horror flick. (Scared, didn't know what to do, talked with herself.) Of course it's an extreme situation and she is trying to help and is also anxious, but her behaviour looked out of character for me. Isn't she suppossed to be level-headed adventurer? I know they try to do something new, I'm not sure this is supposed to be a sort of prequel but at least that's the image I have of her. I don't want to be too judgemental though and watch more footage. Animation could need some improvements especially when compared to Uncharted.

No, she's like in her early 20s(?) in this. It's an origin story and reboot.

RagnarokX

Eh, characters talking to themselves is a contrivance created because film/game makers think the audience/player is too stupid to get what a character is feeling at the moment and to let them know what the character is thinking internally by having the character literally tell them. People talking to themselves in reality is just weird, regardless of what's going down. As for internal thoughts, I'm playing the game, so I'm going through the same situation, I think my own internal voice can suffice most of the time. Characters can talk when other people are around, in cutscenes, or in good ol' fashioned soliloquies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Detective mode is optional. Just don't use it. It only makes sense they don't want first timers or rookies to just quit and never look back. Try to have some sort of understanding that these games are not just made for you.

Isn't it more fun to complain about them though? Maybe time to just remember the fond memories you have of video games 10-15 years ago and find a new hobby.

EDIT: My reply comes across almost as cynical so I'm no better and I've stated my fears bout this game too. Still there comes a point where you just have to acknowledge that this game isn't what you enjoy and its time to move on. I think I'll enjoy it a good deal but its not going to quite deliver that classic TR feeling from 96. Maybe if the game does well, they'll address that.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Watching this hour live stream and it seems alright, a lot of Uncharted inspired sequences. Just doesn't seem to have the charm that Uncharted did though. I still want to play this game, it just won't be a full priced pick-up.

Salaadin

EDIT: My reply comes across almost as cynical so I'm no better and I've stated my fears bout this game too. Still there comes a point where you just have to acknowledge that this game isn't what you enjoy and its time to move on. I think I'll enjoy it a good deal but its not going to quite deliver that classic TR feeling from 96. Maybe if the game does well, they'll address that.

Youre absolutely right. I actually had a semi-long post typed up with my complaints and trashed it for this reason. Im just sick of complaining about it. Even moreseo when I watch videos of it because it still looks like a game that Id like to play....just not the Tomb Raider game I was hoping for. Im ultimately still going to buy it so its time I start taking it for what it is.

Not terrible, I like some of the environmental interaction bits. There does seem to be a bit more going on here than just autoplatforming.

Overall though, it's clearly a cover shooter with the usual pacing issues I have with such. Enemies appear to just sit around like a shooting gallery until they are engaged. The cutscene and barely interactive crawling through tight space bits seem to interrupt and be as prevalent as we've basically become used to this generation. Shaky cam is as irritating as ever.

Did I hear them say you can opt out of getting ledges and other such environmental progress items highlighted? Edit: Yeah, they did. That's a positive.

Commentary in this video is truly cringeworthy PR fluff. The discussions about vertigo and tearing up while playing were painful to listen to.

I understand and dislike the changes to the character, but that's neither here nor there for me at the moment. I mean, the series has always been cheese, so I guess replacing the female James Bond trope with the teenaged PG-13 horror movie survivor trope is just swapping out cheddar for baby swiss. I just think cheddar is beddar.

All in all, this really just reinforces what I've been expecting, but I may be able to chug through it and enjoy some of it, but the distinct lack of puzzles, hidden crap, and overabundance of slow cover combat is going to make me go into this judging it like a new IP.

Which brings me to this:

480061_399083323504141_559456968_n.png

This shot makes that title seem completely erroneous and out of place, and sort of underscores how much I feel this should simply be a new IP.

Why? I had a bit of vertigo when she was peering below while holding onto the beam mid-way. Subjective things are really that painful to you?

Because it didn't seem remotely honest to me and came across like a vendor reading me the company line. As far as you honestly feeling that way, then fair enough and I'm glad that you got more out of the game's presentation than I did.

ZeroGravity

Eh, characters talking to themselves is a contrivance created because film/game makers think the audience/player is too stupid to get what a character is feeling at the moment and to let them know what the character is thinking internally by having the character literally tell them. People talking to themselves in reality is just weird, regardless of what's going down. As for internal thoughts, I'm playing the game, so I'm going through the same situation, I think my own internal voice can suffice most of the time. Characters can talk when other people are around, in cutscenes, or in good ol' fashioned soliloquies.
Disagree. In public yes, but not in isolation. It makes perfect sense and I can personally relate to it more.

Only thing that really bugs me about the game as it stands is the regenerating health. You can't go on and on about "survival" for over an hour and then have Laura's bullet wounds miraculously heal themselves. Seems really out of place.

Salaadin

Hey, my cat is listening when I am talking in private.
image.php

Only thing that really bugs me about the game as it stands is the regenerating health. You can't go on and on about "survival" for over an hour and then have Laura's bullet wounds miraculously heal themselves. Seems really out of place.

I dont like it either but I do wonder what their options here would be. I guess the best survivor-like method would be to have meat and plant life regen health.
Old Tomb Raider uses health packs but that was also stupid as youd find them in the strangest places.

It's a service to newcomers of gaming or for people who are just stuck and don't have all day and week to play a game.

Some people forget how often they got stuck in the old days when they just started gaming.

For this game, with all its problems, this is def. a non issue.

Since when games needed to treat people like retards? Tomb Raider series sold several millions of copies back then...

And you know? this game won't sell at much.

Detective mode is part of the problem because it clearly shows how their designed their game and what were their priorities, also painting in white every platform that you can jump isn't optional shit you can turn off.

I like games that don't treat me as someone who need indications every 5 seconds and can't time jumps. Mario is one of the most casual friendly games out there and even there ppl have to press a damn button to jump.

I dont like it either but I do wonder what their options here would be. I guess the best survivor-like method would be to have meat and plant life regen health.
Old Tomb Raider uses health packs but that was also stupid as youd find them in the strangest places.

I would think it would be pretty easy to have bandages or health packs considering there are many human enemies in the game.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I would think it would be pretty easy to have bandages or health packs considering there are many human enemies in the game.

The Last of Us has Joel wrapping his wounds with bandages while in combat, so it is entirely possible to do this.

RagnarokX

Not terrible, I like some of the environmental interaction bits. There does seem to be a bit more going on here than just autoplatforming.

Overall though, it's clearly a cover shooter with the usual pacing issues I have with such. Enemies appear to just sit around like a shooting gallery until they are engaged. The cutscene and barely interactive crawling through tight space bits seem to interrupt and be as prevalent as we've basically become used to this generation. Shaky cam is as irritating as ever.

Did I hear them say you can opt out of getting ledges and other such environmental progress items highlighted? Edit: Yeah, they did. That's a positive.

Commentary in this video is truly cringeworthy PR fluff. The discussions about vertigo and tearing up while playing were painful to listen to.

I understand and dislike the changes to the character, but that's neither here nor there for me at the moment. I mean, the series has always been cheese, so I guess replacing the female James Bond trope with the teenaged PG-13 horror movie survivor trope is just swapping out cheddar for baby swiss. I just think cheddar is beddar.

All in all, this really just reinforces what I've been expecting, but I may be able to chug through it and enjoy some of it, but the distinct lack of puzzles, hidden crap, and overabundance of slow cover combat is going to make me go into this judging it like a new IP.

Which brings me to this:

This shot makes that title seem completely erroneous and out of place, and sort of underscores how much I feel this should simply be a new IP.
You can choose not to use detective mode, but they said they wanted to make sure interactive set pieces pop regardless. You can see that the ropes and climbable walls appear to glow like they aren't affected by the lighting engine.

I think parts of this demo look good, like some of the traversal, but most of it is cover shooting and there are a lot of scripted parts like that awful-looking part where she sidles through a steam corridor.

I laughed at the part where they're talking about how they tried to make climbing the radio tower interesting and I'm like "nope, she's just climbing a radio tower. You just made it take longer."

Looks like it'll be fun to explore and that's about it.
Combat looks boring and platforming doesn't look too interesting, ah well.

Ricky_R

There's somebody peeking somewhere in that Tombcharted screenshot. Whoever finds it first gets a virtual cookie. ;)

Nope.

I've stumbled upon a lot of people who do it. It doesn't even seem all that odd to vocalize your thoughts.

Don't people talk to themselves in situations of extreme duress anyway? Makes me think of Joe Simpson screaming his head off in Touching the Void. Internet would have a field day if there was a scene in Tomb Raider where Lara Croft just loses it in a curse-word laden rant aimed at no one in particular.

If I was in a similar situation, I'd be talking to myself constantly. It's just another means of comforting yourself innit.

480061_399083323504141_559456968_n.png

I'm not sure why but I started giggling uncontrollably at this shot. It's just so... I dunno, goofy looking. Maybe I'm just imagining the self-serious music playing or something. That or it just looks like she's sitting in a really tall chair.

Top Bottom