• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider multiplayer confirmed [Up: Developed by Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex)]

XaosWolf

WHY.

I love the Uncharted series, but prefer Tomb Raider for it's puzzles and tomb raiding over combat. Each new bit of info makes me want this one less. =/

You know that any DLC that comes out or this thing will now just be things for the Multiplayer section.

patapuf

It's this American obsession with multi-player, that's destroyed the art of the single player campaign over the last decade.

Too much developer time is wasted on it...all that effort just so a bunch of teenagers can scream trash talk to a captive audience.

I'm European and i guarantee you that Multiplayer is a world wide phenomenon. It's pretty popular in asia too.

Mario007

Fuck, that's even more depressing that Eidos are working on the multiplayer here. They should be spending their resources on Thief 4 and Deus Ex.

Cyberia

I'm glad to see that EM is dedicating their time and people to making a MP mode that no one wants for a terrible looking game that very few seem to want instead of getting Thief 4 or Deus Ex HR2 going.

Yes I realize it was probably a small separate team.

I laughed so hard.

Hyun Sai

Why not.

When I think that I spent much more time playing the MP of Mass Effect 3 instead of the boring campaign (didn't even finish it), we could be surprised...

Wait and see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
isn't that studio working on the matrix version of Hitman going with the art works (or was that another studio?)I guess that game will need multiplayer.

That's Square Enix Montreal.

Eidos Montreal is the 400 person studio making Thi4f, Deus Ex 4, and a new IP that's sort of like medieval Uncharted.

I'm glad to see that EM is dedicating their time and people to making a MP mode that no one wants for a terrible looking game that very few seem to want instead of getting Thief 4 or Deus Ex HR2 going.

Yes I realize it was probably a small separate team.

Well, they have to practice for making the multiplayer in Thi4f, Deus Ex 4, and their new IP.

Eidos Montreal is the 400 person studio making Thi4f, Deus Ex 4, and a new IP that's sort of like medieval Uncharted.

Well, they have to practice for making the multiplayer in Thi4f, Deus Ex 4, and their new IP.

What? First I'm hearing of that.

As for multiplayer for TR, no big deal. I don't play multiplayer anyway (though I try it out occasionally to see how it is but I don't stick around). No time or resources were taken away from single player, so no big deal.

I'm waiting to see if someone pissed off at the reboot yells "NOW THEY'RE DOING MP AND TAKING RESOURCES AWAY FROM SP FUCK"

Well, we can add Tomb Raider to the growing list of games that have unnecessary multiplayer. A list that includes Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2 and 3, Uncharted 2 and 3, Resident Evil 5 and 6 (co-op), and many others.

Really?

I mean, it's a heavily linear third person shooter.

That's like a neon sign for having multiplayer.

I thought they were pushing this as a story-driven exploration/survival game?

Haven't been following it enough to realize it had transitioned into "third person shooter' territory.
Very disappointing.

Derrick01

Banned

I can't make a face that's angry enough for this.

Who am I kidding based on their most recent stealth outputs (HR and Hitman) a blind 5 year old could see that Thief 4 is going to be some crummy hybrid stealth/action game instead of a worthy Thief sequel. MP is just kicking me while I'm down.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

....thanks for the correction and info

but can't they name their studios better? like call one Montreal and the other is SE Canada Magic Force or something.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I did think we were past the "MP? This will hurt SP and suck!" phase. Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, etc, etc all showed that MP can be great in a SP focused game.

Kinyou

Eidos montreal should be working on the next Deus Ex and not on some multiplayer that no one will want to play anyway :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, we can add Tomb Raider to the growing list of games that have unnecessary multiplayer. A list that includes Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2 and 3, Uncharted 2 and 3, Resident Evil 5 and 6 (co-op), and many others.

I'm fairly certain ME2 didn't have multiplayer.

I thought they were pushing this as a story-driven exploration/survival game?

Haven't been following it enough to realize it had transitioned into "third person shooter' territory.
Very disappointing.

Well, here's a video from Microsoft's E3 2012 conference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFhLS7DmLlc

I can't make a face that's angry enough for this.

Who am I kidding based on their most recent stealth outputs (HR and Hitman) a blind 5 year old could see that Thief 4 is going to be some crummy hybrid stealth/action game instead of a worthy Thief sequel. MP is just kicking me while I'm down.
Well, at minimum, we've seen this for Thi4f:

thi4f4pfjqr.png

DieH@rd

Banned
So... Eidos Montreal is practicing multiplayer creation. At least we know that next Deus Ex and Thief will have MP.

:(

What the hell happened to Eidos Montreal? Deus Ex HR was one of the best games this gen and a great revival.

Thief 4 seemed like an easy no brainer for them but all of a sudden the team there just lost a bunch of members and the game disappeared from the radar.

And now they're delegated to shite like this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What? First I'm hearing of that.

As for multiplayer for TR, no big deal. I don't play multiplayer anyway (though I try it out occasionally to see how it is but I don't stick around). No time or resources were taken away from single player, so no big deal.

I'm waiting to see if someone pissed off at the reboot yells "NOW THEY'RE DOING MP AND TAKING RESOURCES AWAY FROM SP FUCK"

For their new IP: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/1...xplorer-searching-for-a-way-to-save-his-love/

ME3 Multi is excellent, though.

I'd like to add Dead Space 2 to your list

Hindle

Banned

I hope they're not making Anything that's like UC.

the sad reality of modern gaming, I guess.

Yeah. I've been playing and buying games a lot less recently because I don't feel like I "connect" with modern gaming. Obviously there's always stuff for everyone and newer games that aren't entirely on the radar, which is why I'm looking big into PC gaming at the moment and finding "smaller" titles that appeal to my more old-school gaming sensibilities. I can't speak for everyone so I'm not going to say multiplayer is something sacrilegious as people have fun with it and it can help sell games, but it's just not for me. And the franchises that have been carried over that I used to absolutely adore like Final Fantasy and Resident Evil are falling prey to these new development and marketing practices, with the developers almost completely changing what they are in some cases (like RE) to help them "fit" in with the "cool guys" and all its doing is turning them and their products into a laughing stock and deservedly so.

It's more than a little distressing, but I'll go back to screaming at the clouds I guess.

Derrick01

Banned
Hmm Edios Montreal doing multiplayer? Could that mean the next Deus Ex will have it as well?

It's the way of the industry now. They think no one will buy games unless it has MP in it even though the majority of these games' MP modes are empty after a month or two. This industry's not a fan of logic and common sense. After all who should we trust, common sense or the marketing department who knows everything?

Derrick01

Banned
Meh, can't end up worse than Thief 3.

I want to give the game a fair shot since we really don't know anything yet, but based on how Eidos/SE operates now and based on their most recent output I feel if I wanted to I could already give you a guarantee that T4 will make Thief 3 look like Thief 2. If they go the hybrid route which I expect them to do we'll be looking back at Thief 3 as a masterful stealth game.

Hindle

Banned
It's the way of the industry now. They think no one will buy games unless it has MP in it even though the majority of these games' MP modes are empty after a month or two. This industry's not a fan of logic and common sense. After all who should we trust, common sense or the marketing department who knows everything?

Yep, they're all after a slice of the COD pie. whilst completely failing to see they should be going in the opposite direction from COD, that's where the next big idea will be.

jimi_dini

Please let this bomb as well.
Publishers/developers HAVE to wake up at some point.

But I guess they will think: we haven't made it accessible enough and there was not enough multiplayer smh

Xav

I enjoyed Uncharteds MP a lot. So if it's like that it could end up being neat.

I get the feeling it will be some co-operative stuff rather than straight up Team Deathmatch but we'll have to wait until the issue lands to find out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get the feeling it will be some co-operative stuff rather than straight up Team Deathmatch but we'll have to wait until the issue lands to find out.

From GAME:

● Survive as a Team: Play a variety of multiplayer modes as Lara’s Shipmates or Yamatai’s Scavengers.

Hindle

Banned
Please let this bomb as well.
Publishers/developers HAVE to wake up at some point.

But I guess they will think: we haven't made it accessible enough and there was not enough multiplayer smh

It wil sell considerably less then Underworld IMO.

Derrick01

Banned
So if any game fails is because suddenly people don't care about the IP anymore?

Riiiiight...

That's how publishers look at things.

Old IP brought to new era ---->modernized with shit new age elements that ruin the IP ---->game bombs for any number of reasons ----->obviously because people don't care about it anymore.

Top Bottom