• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider multiplayer confirmed [Up: Developed by Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex)]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Who is making reboot of Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver franchize?

I would have thought Crystal Dynamics, but they seem fairly insistent that their other AAA game is a new IP.

So if any game fails is because suddenly people don't care about the IP anymore?

Riiiiight...

That's how publishers look at things.

Old IP brought to new era ---->modernized with shit new age elements that ruin the IP ---->game bombs for any number of reasons ----->obviously because people don't care about it anymore.

Derrick's logic is pretty accurate to publisher logic to be honest.

Hindle

Banned
I see games like this as the Mcdonalds of the games industry, theyre cheap, easily accessible, and ultimately leave you with the feeling off Is that it?

The industry has to get away from the easy option and start putting in the effort again.

dreamfall

Goodness, why?

I guess it's not fair to judge, until we've seen footage. And I like Eidos Montreal, but did this game really need it? Who wants this?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
....thanks for the correction and info

but can't they name their studios better? like call one Montreal and the other is SE Canada Magic Force or something.

I'm pretty sure SE Montreal and Eidos Montreal are the exact same studios.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I would have thought Crystal Dynamics, but they seem fairly insistent that their other AAA game is a new IP.

Since SE Montreal is working on Hitman Matrix and Thief 4 and CD saying they are not doing it..

IO Interactive for Legacy Of Kain reboot maybe?

sublimit

Banned
I think the game will sell tons of money to be honest.All the major sites will give it 9's and 10's thanks to SE's money.
They have a huge marketing budget behind them this time and the game is ticking every box.

Not to mention that the franchise has already many "fans" who would buy the game even if it was a kart racing game just as long as it had the name Tomb Raider on the cover and Lara (with her braid or pony tail) inside the game.

Raziel

How many unchecked boxes does this game have left? Instinct/detective vision, unnecessary multiplayer, Xp system, unnecessary skill tree, basic loot system...

What am I missing?

1/5
0/7
0/6
0/10
0/5
0/15
1/2

VJ8tl.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Goodness, why?

I guess it's not fair to judge, until we've seen footage. And I like Eidos Montreal, but did this game really need it? Who wants this?

To be honest, the people who are after multiplayer in every game are usually not the same people posting on a core gaming forum like GAF.

I mean, games like CoD and FIFA aren't nearly as popular here as they are in terms of sales, so that audience doesn't have much of a voice here, but will in any market research a publisher conducts.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Goodness, why?

I'm wondering why myself, but it could turn out well. I enjoyed Uncharted 2 and 3 MP and Assassin's Creed MP has been fun.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since SE Montreal is working on Hitman Matrix and Thief 4 and CD saying they are not doing it..

IO Interactive for Legacy Of Kain reboot maybe?

IO Interactive is currently making a new IP co-op (shooter?) to replace Kane & Lynch.

The best shot is still Crystal Dynamics having a small, relatively unknown third team for such a project existing.

Cory Barlog isn't working on the new IP or Tomb Raider for example.

dan2026

Just what this game didn't need....multi-player.

I though we were out of the slap a multi-play mode on that people will play once phase.

Sigh, game developers....

Pooya

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/39044023463/oxm-reveals-tomb-raider-multiplayer-in-january said:
Inspired by the overwhelmingly positive response to co-op play in Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Does that mean the response to co-op play in LGL inspired them to make multiplayer for this or is the mode actually inspired by LGL co-op play? not sure how LGL coop very focused on puzzle solving would lead to a team based online mode.

Hindle

Banned
I think the game will sell tons of money to be honest.All the major sites will give it 9's and 10's thanks to SE's money.
They have a huge marketing budget behind them this time and the game is ticking every box.

Not to mention that the franchise has already many "fans" who would buy the game even if it was a kart racing game just as long as it had the name Tomb Raider on the cover and Lara (with her braid or pony tail) inside the game.

I'm not sure, this kind of game has never really set the charts alight. It's the most ironic thing about it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If anything those games back that fear up. Shitty single players and more impressive/fun MP modes.

ME3 was great (aside from the end), AC Brotherhood was the one they added MP in right? That was by far the best AC game in SP too. I think those games prove you can do both.

Separate teams are working on it too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does that mean the response to co-op play in LoGL inspired them to make multiplayer for this or is the mode actually inspired by LoGL co-op play? not sure how LoGH coop very focused on puzzle solving would lead to a team based online mode.

Presumably inspired by the positive reaction as opposed to mechanics.

I guess I could be proven wrong though.

sleepykyo

How many unchecked boxes does this game have left? Instinct/detective vision, unnecessary multiplayer, Xp system, unnecessary skill tree, basic loot system...

What am I missing?

Fatalities/obliteration techniques.
Grittier/darker take on the franchise.

edit: Should have realized I would been late.

UrbanRats

That's how publishers look at things.

Old IP brought to new era ---->modernized with shit new age elements that ruin the IP ---->game bombs for any number of reasons ----->obviously because people don't care about it anymore.
That's technically true; i sure as hell am not "interested in the [Tomb Raider] ip" anymore.

GQman2121

Banned
Why?

Game looks great, and MP could turn out fine. I love AC MP, so maybe they can do something as different as they did.

The campaign looks like a game we've already played ten times over this gen. The inclusion of MP--even if it doesn't directly effect the singleplayer game--speaks volumes of what you can expect from the offline experience.

I see it as: Shoot mad bad guys, yo.

I have no doubt that the final product will ship as a refined, polished shooter. That's just not what I was looking forward to when I heard about a TR reboot two and half years ago. It does look great for those who are into more of that though. So I suppose they have that going for them......

Shitty useless collectibles and overall checklist of boring chore activities? "We've got that!"

That's okay as far as I'm concerned because it seems to inspire exploration, OR it could just be a checklist thing to give the illusion that you're finding stuff and "raiding tombs."

Hindle

Banned
I'm not giving up on Eidios Montreal though, the interviews I read told me they really get what gaming is about.

I'm just going to think this is Square being assholes here.

Lancehead

I want to give the game a fair shot since we really don't know anything yet, but based on how Eidos/SE operates now and based on their most recent output I feel if I wanted to I could already give you a guarantee that T4 will make Thief 3 look like Thief 2. If they go the hybrid route which I expect them to do we'll be looking back at Thief 3 as a masterful stealth game.

I expect Thief 4 to have a much better level design than Thief 3. I mean, it's not that hard to not make levels claustrophobic. The problems I expect are a lacklustre stealth mechanics - third person, cover, superhuman gadgets/powers, some sort of RPGish progression etc.

Derrick01

Banned
That's okay as far as I'm concerned because it seems to inspire exploration, OR it could just be a checklist thing to give the illusion that you're finding stuff and "raiding tombs."

I'm not sold on the exploration that they've shown. It's basically a little dirt path next to the linear walkway you're running down, walk about 10 feet off course and see a giant painted symbol on a rock to let you know there's a secret there. They can't even let the player explore the 10 feet of space they give out of fear they'll miss something :\

Lancehead said:
The problems I expect are a lacklustre stealth mechanics - third person, cover, superhuman gadgets/powers, some sort of RPGish progression etc.

Yup same, that's the hybrid stuff I was talking about. It'll be more like Deus Ex HR and Dishonored than Thief 1 or 2.

DieH@rd

Banned
I would like some large dungeons that could be played in coop, with some combat sections in between puzzles.

As for full on MP, not interested.

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone compile the list of 3rd party studios that are working on unannounced/nextgen games? We already know that Sony studios are producing a ton of games for nextgen.

I'll wait to see what it's like before going into full-on panic mode. That said, probably won't be interested in it and it'll not affect my enjoyment of the single player campaign.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can someone compile the list of 3rd party studios that are working on unannounced/nextgen games? We already know that Sony studios are producing a ton of games for nextgen.

Honestly, you can just assume anyone releasing a game in late Fall 2013 or later has a high chance.

Though um, did you mean to put this in a different thread?

I'm not sold on the exploration that they've shown. It's basically a little dirt path next to the linear walkway you're running down, walk about 10 feet off course and see a giant painted symbol on a rock to let you know there's a secret there. They can't even let the player explore the 10 feet of space they give out of fear they'll miss something :\

Yeah, I mean I actually thought the game looked pretty good in some of those live plays, but something about it did seem very linear, but I guess it can join the ranks of FF and RE becoming more linear as well in favor of more straightforward gameplay and better graphics.

Bollocks

Am I the only one who genuinely looks forward to the MP?
If it sucks, it sucks, no harm done, you still buy Tomb Raider for the SP

DieH@rd

Banned
Honestly, you can just assume anyone releasing a game in late Fall 2013 or later has a high chance.

Though um, did you mean to put this in a different thread?

If anyone compiles it, list needs to go into new thread. This one is dedicated to pre-U2 moaning about how MP will totally destroy singleplayer experience. :) We all know how that turned out.

Grisby

I get the feeling it will be some co-operative stuff rather than straight up Team Deathmatch but we'll have to wait until the issue lands to find out.
Sill cool. I also spent a lot of time in the co-op stuff from UC2/3. Gameplay needs to be up to snuff of course.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I expect Thief 4 to have a much better level design than Thief 3. I mean, it's not that hard to not make levels claustrophobic. The problems I expect are a lacklustre stealth mechanics - third person, cover, superhuman gadgets/powers, some sort of RPGish progression etc.

Yup same, that's the hybrid stuff I was talking about. It'll be more like Deus Ex HR and Dishonored than Thief 1 or 2.
Well, here's what we know for Thi4f's gameplay design:

• Developing pre-production concepts into fully-designed systems (rewards schedule, shops, escape gates, public zones, etc.)

• Designing the side-content of the game's hub: activities, enticers, goals, flow and rewards

• Formulating the design guidelines for “extreme situations”; memorable scripted sequences with altered controls, camera and/or gameplay rules.

thief-iv-leakedimage5cke9.jpg

Are we arriving at a point where so many games have online multiplayer that establishing communities is an uphill battle? We may already be there, but it just seems like it used to be a few shooters that had strong online communities, and now we have 100's of online games with dead communities in just a few short months from release.

Think it is time for publishers to reassess the situation, because I get the feeling it is becoming a waste of time, resources, and obviously money. Guess ultimately it is a question of does DLC sales for those online portions make it worthwhile, I doubt it.

I see games like this as the Mcdonalds of the games industry, theyre cheap, easily accessible, and ultimately leave you with the feeling off Is that it?

The industry has to get away from the easy option and start putting in the effort again.

Don't underestimate how much effort they are putting forth for these bullet points. I predict a 90+ Metacritic.

Success.

I'm loving this bit, to be honest:

Inspired by the overwhelmingly positive response to co-op play in Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, we’ll have many more details about Tomb Raider’s multiplayer offering come CES in early January. Issue #145 of OXM also dives deep into single player content and combat.

I'm SO in if the multiplayer does co-op play like LCGoL did.

Top Bottom