• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider multiplayer confirmed [Up: Developed by Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex)]

Lancehead

Well, here's what we know for Thi4f's gameplay design:

http://www.abload.de/img/thief-iv-leakedimage5cke9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The general direction of the design pretty mind-numbingly obvious. I guess they'll throw in a hardc0r3 mode where the minimap with tons of icons can be disabled. Though I doubt the action nature of the design as it sounds can be turned off.

A thrilling cinematic sequence where the developer has painstakingly crafted the camera angles so the player can enjoy the ride in slow motion marking and executing enemies in a moment of inspiration.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm loving this bit, to be honest:

I'm SO in if the multiplayer does co-op play like LCGoL did.

That sounds great.

And I'll admit that I was absolutely mortified regarding the idea of multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 - but that turned out to be some of the best multiplayer of the year. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Andrew.

Banned
How many unchecked boxes does this game have left? Instinct/detective vision, unnecessary multiplayer, Xp system, unnecessary skill tree, basic loot system...

What am I missing?

a Big ass HUD with a bunch of shit on it that is mostly irrelevant to the plot?

zlatko

Banned
*shrug* I'm down for MP for this game to be honest. I love TPS MP components, and aside from Gears of War and Uncharted, there isn't any TPS AAA franchises that do MP well, so perhaps this could be something to satiate my thirst for that.

I wonder if they'll go for a mode similar to Team Sneak in Metal Gear Online. The survivors have no weapons, but are hard as hell to find trying to bring an objective back to a start point, while the scavengers are armed and preventing them from getting the objective.

I'd be down if a mode like that exists.

Well, we can add Tomb Raider to the growing list of games that have unnecessary multiplayer. A list that includes Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2 and 3, Uncharted 2 and 3, Resident Evil 5 and 6 (co-op), and many others.

Uncharted MP is SUPER fun. Totally glad Naughty Dog added it.

I can't wait to see what The Last of Us MP will be.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Well isn't this just fantastic news.

I can't wait to jump into the MP a month after launch because everyone has moved off on to one of the many other games coming out in such a short amount of time along with the big MP fan bases that will simply ignore the game. And it is no doubt going to be awesome having some awesome MP Achievements/Trophies that will become a pain in the ass to get.

Sounds great...

Sissel

what the fuck are they doing to this series. You know, at the beginning, I liked the idea of this realistic Lara being placed in a more survival/horror type setting since it fit better. But now that they are making this an Uncharted game, man, just give be back badass Lara. At least she was more iconic character.

Glass Rebel

Well, here's what we know for Thi4f's gameplay design:

thief-iv-leakedimage5cke9.jpg

this ain't happening this ain't happening this ain't happening *breaks down*

There's only 1 way to read it for stealth/thief fans.

Disaster incoming.

When Thi4f hits, we all need to be on suicide watch for Derrick.

In advance:

Don't do it Derrick! There's so much to live for! The indie gaming scene has potential! The next gen will learn better from the mistakes of the old!

DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see what the big deal is especially when another dev is the one working on it. Also if it's only co-op then I'm sure it's optional, so it's not like your forced to play it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have nothing against this. IO drove the franchise into the ground, and im confident that DEHR guys will make new game great.
I'm not especially offended, since I'm not notably attached to Thief, but I can understand why people would be if they wanted a more direct sequel.

Also, I think you mean Ion Storm.

That's how publishers look at things.

Old IP brought to new era ---->modernized with shit new age elements that ruin the IP ---->game bombs for any number of reasons ----->obviously because people don't care about it anymore.

How many times has this happened? I know Syndicate, what else?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thread is hilarious. People claiming the game is going to suck now because a second dev is working on a separate MP component, ignoring the fact that this can turn out great (as shown in recent games).

Also Derrick going off the deep end. We get it, you're not buying Tomb Raider...

Mooreberg

Since this comes out only a week before God of War Ascension, it will be interesting to see which one loses players in droves first. I don't think either of them are going to carve out a following the way Uncharted or AssCreed has.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How many times has this happened? I know Syndicate, what else?
Bionic Commando
Bomberman: Act Zero
Alone in the Dark
Golden Axe: Beast Rider
Lufia
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance series
Parasite Eve

I can list a fair number more if we drop the final requirement or change "old IP" to include recent IPs that totally rebooted their direction from the most recent sequel and then canned the brand (like Red Faction 3 -> Red Faction 4).

There are also the series that still "exist", but are relegated to things like Facebook games after their financial performance from a bad idea (looking at you Ultima).

That said, a fair number of these wouldn't have sold if they stayed the same anyway, but hey, I do agree that the trend exists.

99%

I think Xcom has shown that there is always a market for games that stay true, if done on a normal budget with normal expectations in regards to sales. You got to be realistic about these things.

If someone would have given Syndicate some of that love... :(

Sissel

Thread is hilarious. People claiming the game is going to suck now because a second dev is working on a separate MP component, ignoring the fact that this can turn out great (as shown in recent games).

Also Derrick going off the deep end. We get it, you're not buying Tomb Raider...
This game is bound to disappoint regardless of the MP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Xcom has shown that there is always a market for games that stay true, if done on a normal budget with normal expectations in regards to sales. You got to be realistic about these things.

If someone would have given Syndicate some of that love... :(

A lot of publishers have an opportunity cost problem though with greenlighting things like that.

If you can hypothetically put a team on a project that will sell 5+ million copies, why ever put them on one that will sell 1 million copies?

If you're an indie developer, chances are you just want to cover costs, so the things you're willing to make are rather different than a publicly traded company.

To use EA as an example, Mirror's Edge ended up shipping over 2 million copies according to court documents, but Battlefield 3 did 17+ million. Which makes more sense for DICE to make?

Tagg9

A lot of publishers have an opportunity cost problem though with greenlighting things like that.

If you can hypothetically put a team on a project that will sell 5+ million copies, why ever put them on one that will sell 1 million copies?

If you're an indie developer, chances are you just want to cover costs, so the things you're willing to make are rather different than a publicly traded company.

Of course that's true, but opportunity cost is not purely monetary.

They also need to consider the missed opportunity of building up a new franchise (or bringing back a returning franchise). Although such a game might have low sales in the short term, long term it may become a financially successful franchise. Compare this with the cost of bringing out a safe dudebro shooter that might sell decently initially but almost certainly will die in the long run.

eshwaaz

I did think we were past the "MP? This will hurt SP and suck!" phase. Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, etc, etc all showed that MP can be great in a SP focused game.
The majority of side missions in ME3 are the multiplayer maps with a bunch of enemies dropped into them, with little to no story. The secret ending was originally impossible to get without ongoing participation in multiplayer. The single player was absolutely compromised because of multi.

FyreWulff

The multiplayer will be empty a month after release and it will have been a waste of the publisher's money and time.

Publishers need to stop cramming/bolting multiplayer onto games that never needed it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Of course that's true, but opportunity cost is not purely monetary.

They also need to consider the missed opportunity of building up a new franchise (or bringing back a returning franchise). Although such a game might have low sales in the short term, long term it may become a financially successful franchise. Compare this with the cost of bringing out a safe dudebro shooter that might sell decently initially but almost certainly will die in the long run.

Well I mean, they're going to pick whatever they think will sell best in both cases, right?

If you can get fairly high up on the dudebro shooter chain, that's a very valuable position.

Let's look at how Square Enix is spreading their bets for example:

Tomb Raider - Third person shooter market, uses an extremely well known brand. There are many successful shooters on the market, and this tries to go the somewhat less crowded Uncharted route.
Hitman - Present day assassination brand that attempts to "modernize" a successful series. Assassin's Creed is very successful and closest analog, but this is an alternative, differentiated attempt on getting in.
Thief - Potentially a much more direct assault on the Assassin's Creed brand. Has a known brand.
Sleeping Dogs - Undercover police angle on the successful sandbox-GTA genre. New brand, but Square Enix didn't have any useful brands in this arena.
Just Cause - Over world genre. Tries to capitalize on the explosion/vehicle heavy open world market that was once successful with Mercenaries.
Deus Ex - Hub based RPG, not many analogs, but it is quite a well known brand that had pretty good sales so they're trying to forge ahead as is.
IO's New IP - Seemingly a replacement for Kane & Lynch. Entry attempt into the co-op third person shooter genre.
Final Fantasy - Flagship international JRPG brand.
Dragon Quest - Flagship Japanese-centric JRPG brand.
Kingdom Hearts - Formerly a flagship Japanese action RPG brand that tied in heavily to the successful Disney megabrand.

They're pretty much doing what would make sense when starting with a base of extremely few active, successful brands.

Namely they're taking 1-2 stabs at each given genre - some differentiated, some not as much - and seeing what works and what doesn't.

eshwaaz

The multiplayer will be empty a month after release and it will have been a waste of the publisher's money and time.

Publishers need to stop cramming/bolting multiplayer onto games that never needed it.
I just don't understand it. They've been doing it for years now - does it actually pay off? As you said, most are a total barren wasteland just a few weeks after launch. Does it actually equal more initial sales, or is it
an ongoing publisher misconception?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Spec Ops: The Line all over again.

OrBIK.jpg

Well, their next project seems to be f2p, which probably means it's multiplayer heavy.

Technically they could be making a singleplayer f2p game though, but those are pretty rare.

Yager said:
MONETIZATION EXPERT (f/m)
YAGER is currently seeking a talented and experienced Monetization Expert to join our pre-production team of yet unannounced title. The Monetization Expert will be responsible for creating and tuning our gameplay systems to maximize opportunities for thoughtful monetization. We want to offer our customers opportunities to personalize their game experience through micro-transactions without affecting game-balance or segregating our player base. We’re looking for people who love the idea of working together in interdisciplinary teams within a flat hierarchy and a fast-paced and professional environment.

Responsibilities

Design, implement and balance certain gameplay features that support monetization from initial design to final polish
Develop monetization strategy and oversee day-to-day revenue management

Collaborate with the team to ensure the implementation of features into actual gameplay
Iterate, balance and tune reward systems based on feedback from team, QA and play testing during the whole production
Stay a up to date on competing games, focusing on new monetization strategies
Work closely with Creative Director and product owners towards the game vision

Qualifications

In-depth knowledge of cross platform games and micro-transaction based business models and desire to innovate and define new methods
Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; excellent ability to judge details vs. the big picture
Good understanding of the competitive landscape
Good understanding of full game development cycle
Superb written and oral communication skills (English)
Ability to work in interdisciplinary teams in flat hierarchy
Ability to deliver under deadlines and time constraints
Source: http://www.yager.de/career/job_offers/monetizationExpert.html

Yager said:
SENIOR GAME SYSTEMS DESIGNER (f/m)

Desired Skills

Previous experience with Unreal
Experience with free to play title development
Experience with Scrum and Kanban production methods
Source: http://www.yager.de/career/job_offers/gamed_sys_senior.html

To feed into the opportunity cost discussion, this might be a good example of that. Yager may very much be interested in making a singleplayer only game, but no publisher might be interested in signing it, so here they are.

FyreWulff

I just don't understand it. They've been doing it for years now - does it actually pay off? As you said, most are a total barren wasteland just a few weeks after launch. Does it actually equal more initial sales, or is it
an ongoing publisher misconception?

Publishers believe it'll slow down or prevent quick trade ins. I've yet to see any tacked on multiplayer mode actually do this.

They're just literally checking boxes most of the time. And it's so damn obvious when it's duct taped onto the rest of the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently there are Gears of War Judgment scans out there from the issue in question, so details should be out today, assuming the editors didn't mistake the two games for each other.

fears of what?
Tomb Raider being the next single player series to get a needless multiplayer mode.

I'd love to be wrong and find out that this mode was added purely in the service of gameplay, and not just as a vehicle for map pack/weapon pack DLC and microtransactions, but the odds aren't great.

Amir0x

Banned
i can't even fear getting details like multiplayer when the singleplayer is already fucked. It's like my mind can only focus on one level of fuckery and can't move on.

It says the multiplayer is inspired by Guardian of Light co-op in the OP, but what made that game successful is that you actually had to go through the levels together and solve puzzles together and do real platforming together. Are they really going to do something like that? From the bulletpoint leaks, it sounds nothing like Guardian of Light co-op :/

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Tomb Raider being the next single player series to get a needless multiplayer mode.

I'd love to be wrong and find out that this mode was added purely in the service of gameplay, and not just as a vehicle for map pack/weapon pack DLC and microtransactions, but the odds aren't great.

I'll keep repeating myself I guess but Mass Effect 3 had some of the best multiplayer of 2012.

So what if its "needless"? As long as its fun, supported, and runs on F2P system instead of making you buy dumb shit then it shouldn't matter.

Top Bottom