• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Hmm.. jumping. I'll definitely try that.

Also, what's the post-game map to rope pull down an enemy? and zip-line kill an enemy? Not a big deal since I will be replaying it again.

I dont think you can rope pull down enemies in MP? Well, I've never tried but I dont think it's possible but I'm not sure now.

But I would say that Monastery is best for both those trophies. It's best to use a shotgun and standing near an enemy cause if you're shooting or getting shot at while ziplining you will fall down first and a somewhat close up shot with the shotgun is instakill. I had luck though, I've only done it a few times I think. If you can boost it I would do that. Just have a friend playing in the opposite team and just have him stand still on a zipline next to you and just kill his ass.

Bladenic

Oh forgot to post a mini review.

Finished it about a week ago....liked it overall. Everything was good, nothing really stood out for me and knocked me out. It did nothing new or amazing, so it won't be all that memorable. A really solid game, that unfortunately lacked hard in the puzzle department. Oh well.

A low 8....some of the areas in this game are beautiful....lots of atmosphere.

Agreed on the atmosphere, they really nailed it. Just wish the enemies would have fitted better within the atmosphere.

J.ceaz

So I bought this game on a whim while I was drunk one night (I need to stop that)and I just beat it today. Let me say Holy shit this game is a pleasant surprise. First off play the game on Hard it's the only way you should play. Secondly the Lara Croft character was incredibly engaging and difficult not to fall in love with. Yes the deer scene seems ridiculous at first but I can't bring myself to trash a game over one or two awkward scenes when I loved everything else.
The scene where you get the grenade launcher literally had me cheering outloud
which games don't often do for me. I feel as though even more people would have bought and be enjoying this game if the pre-release PR was better. This isn't about protecting Lara or anything like that this is literally the Batman Begins of the Tomb Raider series and it's definitely gotten me hyped for a (hopefully) more tomb focused sequel where I have to fight Lions, Tigers, and Bears as well as human enemies. Out of the games I know I'm going to play this year Tomb Raider is fighting for GOTY and unless GTAV or The Last of Us stumble it might get it. Absolutely top ten. I bought this for 50 bucks on steam, well worth it.

Now for the negatives.
All the characters except for Lara and Roth are pretty paper thin.
for example Reyes has a
daughter
yet never mentions it aloud?
Lara takes an immense amount of abuse in this game alot of it unnecessary.
QTE's are okay against normal enemies since you have to time a dodge move first to activate it but
making the final bosses basically glorified QTE's
was dissapointing. other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

I liked Roth if only because he sounded like an older version of this guy:

ibfbyhDrzBX374.jpg

Couldn't shake it, but that was probably for the best.

Picked this game up after being disappointed with GOW:A. I came into this game knowing nothing about it, and have not played a Tomb Raider since the original back on my Playstation 1. Beat the game last night at 76% and loved it. For a PS3 game the visuals are fantastic, and I pretty much enjoyed every moment of this game. I liked the layout of the levels, and was actually pretty fond of the combat. Cannot wait for the next iteration on next gen.

Keinu

Just completed it and I must say this was a great game. Sure it has some flaws (some of the QT's annoyed me), but overall I loved it. This was the first game I played on my new pc and it looked amazing.

Too bad they messed up the marketing so much...

Montresor

I've been thinking of this game more and more. I really enjoyed it but I'm gonna have to lower my score from 5/5 to 4/5. I don't have much illuminating analysis to chip in. I just looked at the list of games I'd give 5/5 and they're all much better than Tomb Raider.

Some negatives that are too glaring for me to keep the score at 5/5:

*The tombs were way too easy. They could all be solved in less than 5 minutes. The only puzzle I was ever stumped on was the awesome physics puzzle at the beginning of the game (launching the burning boxes over the mini waterfall). It's like they were afraid of anyone getting stuck.

*The QTEs were also too easy. I would rather have all four face buttons in play during a QTE instead of just pushing Y every single time.

KevinCow

Banned
Lara takes an immense amount of abuse in this game alot of it unnecessary.

Oh yeah, I meant to mention this. At some point, it stopped feeling like a Die Hard-esque action hero going through hell sort of thing, and instead made me start to wonder if someone making this game was getting their jollies by beating the shit out of Lara.

RyL

Banned
dunno if already posted but Tomb Raider 2013 once had an identity of its own before it became a safe bet. (i.e. your typical well produced tps with ideas borrowed from recent AAA games)

Tomb Raider: Ascension

http://youtu.be/AbJjcBC2rnc

Man, browsing through unseen64 is probably the most depressing thing you can do... so many great concepts never realised because of chicken publisher. I still want my Fear Effect: Inferno! Come on Eidos!

If you excuse me, gonna play some City Car Driving. Greenlight that shit, yo.

dunno if already posted but Tomb Raider 2013 once had an identity of its own before it became a safe bet. (i.e. your typical well produced tps with ideas borrowed from recent AAA games)

Man, browsing unseen64 is probably the most depressing thing you can do... so many great concepts never realised because of chicken publisher. I still want my Fear Effect: Inferno! Come on Eidos!

Thanks for this, that was really interesting – especially the video. Major Shadow of the Colossus vibes!

Man, browsing through unseen64 is probably the most depressing thing you can do... so many great concepts never realised because of chicken publisher. I still want my Fear Effect: Inferno! Come on Eidos!

The "Ascension" version would have been alot better. I loved the added surival horror aspect and all of those interesting japenese creatures rather than fighting generic soldiers.

CatPee

Eh, maybe. I notcied people tend to have a 'grass is always greener' sort of attitude whenever something like this pops up.

It would certainly be far more interesting than the bunch of humans and
bumrushing samurai
currently in the game.

It would certainly be far more interesting than the bunch of humans and
bumrushing samurai
currently in the game.

Right? Imagine exploring for relics and just shooting deers and then suddenly it's like

tumblr_lunt92GhbX1r6984go1_400.gif

and you're like oh shit, oh shit, oh shit and then you see the giant and you pee a little.

Kame

So, just finished this game.

This is a must play for everyone. I absolutely love it.

It's very rare for me to finish a game now a days, due to my lack of attention to one game.

This felt more like an interactive movie than anything.

I love the art, game play, and the story.

Played this game for the first time today, some quick thoughts:

1. Absolutely gorgeous art and design. Especially Lara, really a good mix of attractiveness/innocence/toughness/goodheartness

2. Set pieces that lead to instant deaths are meh, as well as QTEs

3. I wish this game was built more around the "survival" and exploration aspect and spaced out the combat more. I feel more tense trying to survive, explore unknown territories, and regroup with my friends than being bombarded by wave after wave of enemies

4. Controls are excellent, guns feel terrific, as well as being able to upgrade your guns. I have always hated that these aspects of weaponary are missing in Uncharted

5. Finishers are hilarious

6. The almost invincible roll/dodge is hilarious as well

Fezan

Completed this game on Thursday. really liked the game but nothing was great or spectacular
Most of the set pieces had done better before feeling.also lacked the intensity of uncharted games . and i hated the fact they took you out of the control most of the time which was specially annoying during radio tower climbing scene as it had great sense of scale. had no problems with lara being mass murderer and i also enjoyed but somewhat disappointed in
Ancient Japanese soldiers. they were easy to kill just like normal soldiers unlike uncharted just wish they require slight different strategy like uncharted

Atmosphere was great. story was ok but characters were forgettable. Also why did it took so long for Lara to realize that they were going to burn her friend sam ? Graphics and animation were also good. Platforming was automatic but i didn't minded it much. slight open areas for item hunting was also welcomed .Music was forgettable
the only thing I absolutely hated were the useless qte specially on the pc version where i didn't knew which button to press in the starting

Overall i liked the game. it was not good as uncharted series but it imitated the formula greatly and i wish more game started copying These games instead of cod

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Few more hours in... Can't believe how much better this turned out out than I expected. There's so much "game" in here. I'm impressed. I think they did a real good jib marketing it too, if this fails commercially I will be very dissapointed (and more worried than I already am)

RagnarokX

Few more hours in... Can't believe how much better this turned out out than I expected. There's so much "game" in here. I'm impressed. I think they did a real good jib marketing it too, if this fails commercially I will be very dissapointed (and more worried than I already am)

Where? There's a lot less "game" overall than previous Tomb Raiders... there's more "shooter" type game, though...

4 hours into this game and it's every bit of an incredible remake. This game is stunning both graphically, and gameplay wise. Having way more fun with this than Bioshock Infinite. TR leads the player into the story by giving them enemies at the right time. They aren't forced on you like in Bioshock where you go from room to room fighting baddies only for the story to slowly unfold.

In the lead for GOTY for me.

RagnarokX

4 hours into this game and it's every bit of an incredible remake. This game is stunning both graphically, and gameplay wise. Having way more fun with this than Bioshock Infinite. TR leads the player into the story by giving them enemies at the right time. They aren't forced on you like in Bioshock where you go from room to room fighting baddies only for the story to slowly unfold.

In the lead for GOTY for me.

You... uh... might want to hold off on making that assessment.

John Harker

Where? There's a lot less "game" overall than previous Tomb Raiders... there's more "shooter" type game, though...

I was expected linear action set pieces like uncharted, which is here, but there's a lot more world exploring elements and I like having an XP, upgrade, and skill systems build on top of it. Hell I spent like two hours just exploring and searching for items in a Japanese village on a stormy mountain. I rather enjoyed the freedom of it.

Casanova

I'll be renting this game after I beat Bioshock Infinite. I remember very briefly playing Tomb Raider on PlayStation One I believe and I wasn't impressed, but this game looks so good.

Is it good for an un-seasoned Tomb Raider fan?

Sorian

Banned
I'll be renting this game after I beat Bioshock Infinite. I remember very briefly playing Tomb Raider on PlayStation One I believe and I wasn't impressed, but this game looks so good.

Ah, so you like the approach of following up a fine t-bone steak with some chilled diarrhea for dessert.

DJwest

buy it, it deserves it.

RagnarokX

I was expected linear action set pieces like uncharted, which is here, but there's a lot more world exploring elements and I like having an XP, upgrade, and skill systems build on top of it. Hell I spent like two hours just exploring and searching for items in a Japanese village on a stormy mountain. I rather enjoyed the freedom of it.

But that makes up so little of the game. That and about one/two other area(s) are it. There's no challenge to exploring and nothing really rewarding to find; all the best collectibles are sitting out in plain sight along the main paths. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that, too, but the game has so little of it and does little with what it has. It didn't have enough of that; qualitatively and quantitatively.

Grisby

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the game. Yeah, I completed it a few weeks ago but I still find myself thinking about it. The shotting and jumping felt fantastic and way more tighter than Uncharted.

The back story of the island was neat but the characters were pretty much all terrible. For a TR2 CD has to step up their narrative game a whole bunch. I found myself just wishing for Lara to be alone because when it's just her and the island the atmosphere is incredible.

Oh, and of course the tombs (ha, snort) were too simple. If only CD could expand on those and make them into full levels I think the game could have been a huge classic.

It's a shame because I enjoyed Lara the shooter but I also miss Lara the 'explorer'. I only wish we lived in a world where there could be both.

Skilletor

So, just finished this game.

This is a must play for everyone. I absolutely love it.

It's very rare for me to finish a game now a days, due to my lack of attention to one game.

This felt more like an interactive movie than anything.

I love the art, game play, and the story.

I agree with this person. ;)

John Harker

But that makes up so little of the game. That and about one/two other area(s) are it. There's no challenge to exploring and nothing really rewarding to find; all the best collectibles are sitting out in plain sight along the main paths. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that, too, but the game has so little of it and does little with what it has. It didn't have enough of that; qualitatively and quantitatively.

It's a blockbuster action adventure game... They aren't suppose to be "challenging," they are suppose to be "thrilling experiences." That's the lay of the land these days, and what's selling. I'm pleased CD managed to sneak so many "game systems" into the experience, that's all I mean. So in that sense, it's better than I was expecting. If it is reward/challenge you're looking for, that's the indie scene these days.

LowParry

All I gotta say is, fuck MP achievements. I was a hater about this game early on but I've grown to enjoy it. CQC all day long baby. :D

Top Bottom