• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I haven't opened my copy yet and I was wondering how this game compares to the last few tomb raider games. I felt those dragged a bit as well, fell apart at the end, and had excessive killing.

This game was better than I expected. The story is well delivered for what it is, and the voice acting is top notch. The graphics are crazy; makes me wonder how much better next-gen could get if a late gen game like this could look so incredible.

And using the bow is definitely more fun than using guns; not really sure why. Especially the flame-tipped variety.

d00d3n

Playing the game reminded me of what I liked best about Arkham Asylum: investigating an incredibly detailed semi open world environment full of secrets and unexpected interconnections. I guess that critics are right about the gameplay being easy and dumbed down (fire arrow machine gun supersedes every other weapon?), but it seems ridiculous to dismiss the whole game because of this. Exploring the layers of the village, the shantytown and the harbor in Tomb Raider is some of the most fun I have had in a game for years. Excellent traversal mechanics w. the rope arrows and climbing gear make the exploration even more satisfying. This is easily a GOTY contender this year. It is basically the sequel to Arkham Asylum that many of us wished for but never got.

Yanksfan

Some people can do both. It's common practice for me to do so after reading a book I like or don't like.

Some people enjoy thinking and expressing critical thought about why or why not they enjoy a particular piece of entertainment.

By this logic, no games can be bad and there can be no valid criticism because you should just shut up and enjoy them for what they are. People just complain because it's fun to hate. They aren't disappointed over the declining quality of key aspects of something they like. Nope. Just having fun hating.

This is an ironic position to take considering you once said "It is sad that it has been 20 years since I was last excited to play through a new Sonic game." It sounds like you have a similar issue with Sonic as the "haters" have with this game. You say Sonic 3 disappointed you after Sonic 2 and those games are more similar than different.

One can enjoy the game and still critique their experience in hopes that it will be taken into account if and when a sequel is developed. I loved the game but I'd be lying if I said it was flawless perfection.

I can see offense was either taken at the 'critique the shit out of it' comment or at the idea of it being perceived a bad thing.

First of all, one does not always have to fall into the same category at all times. I certainly didn't mean to imply that.

Certain games will appeal to someone so much that they love the experience from start to finish and either don't see or overlook what others determine to be flaws.

Others can find the experience fun, but disappointing, though still seem to find value in at least critiquing it. If a game resonates with both sides enough to do so, I believe it still shows a level of quality to the experience, despite not universal praise and/or love (which is impossible in today's age..something I am sure Bioshock Infinite is about to experience).

I meant more that those in here critiquing the game were doing so because they felt the game/series/experience had the foundation to be great, but just took some missteps along the way. That is hardly bashing a game, though it can certainly seem that way to those that love it.

Lastly, it wasn't meant to be quite that serious. If it did offend you, apologies.

KevinCow

Banned
I haven't opened my copy yet and I was wondering how this game compares to the last few tomb raider games. I felt those dragged a bit as well, fell apart at the end, and had excessive killing.

It's not really anything like them. It's basically a third-person shooter with some platforming and some Arkham Asylum. Much heavier on the combat, not nearly as big on the puzzles. In fact, most of the puzzles in the game are in the optional tombs. There aren't any parts where you walk into a huge room containing a big, elaborate contraption, then wander around pulling levers for a bit until you finally figure out how it all fits together and solve the puzzle.

It's much more polished, though. Like the camera actually works, which is nice.

If it wasn't for the game's title and the main character's name, it could've passed for an entirely different series. If you want Tomb Raider, you'll probably be a bit disappointed. If Uncharted + Arkham Asylum sounds like it could be fun, you might enjoy it.

Oh boy...

OK, think of all the previous Tomb Raider games and where they sucked. Now imagine a dev team working on those aspects exclusively for many years, and then forgetting all about the other parts that make a game Tomb Raider.

Voila.

#reborn #whereTheFuckAreTheTombs #killEverythingThatMoves #whyIsEverythingExploding

Oh boy...

OK, think of all the previous Tomb Raider games and where they sucked. Now imagine a dev team working on those aspects exclusively for many years, and then forgetting all about the other parts that make a game Tomb Raider.

Voila.

#reborn #whereTheFuckAreTheTombs #killEverythingThatMoves #whyIsEverythingExploding

#Killing4Survival #&notjust2getsometreasures

OSHAN

I picked this up as my "free" game at Target, though I didn't have much intention on keeping it. Been going back and forth.

It technically cost me 40 bucks. Worth it? I was never a big fan of the old Tomb Raider games.

I'm surprised to not see it mentioned: what's the deal with the "Hybrid Disc Game/Movie" icon on the PS3 box? I thought that icon meant the disc had content playable on a normal Blu-Ray player, but it doesn't. And it doesn't have anything on it other than the game, as far as I can tell.

sleepykyo

I picked this up as my "free" game at Target, though I didn't have much intention on keeping it. Been going back and forth.

It technically cost me 40 bucks. Worth it? I was never a big fan of the old Tomb Raider games.

How do you feel about Uncharted?

CatPee

I like Uncharted a lot, but what appeals to me about Uncharted are the characters. I think they're great.

I wish there was a damn demo for this game.

Hmmm, you're likely not gonna like the cast in this game then. They're completely forgettable and the game would've been better without them.

Is it possible to to play online ranked with people around the same.. you know.. rank? That's probably my only problem with MP. Bc I keep getting owned with these high ranked jerks.

Anyone else think that this game handled combat really well?

It never outstayed its welcome (often a problem with TPS', I find), even during the more heated parts, and while the platforming/exploration certainly wasn't taxing, it definitely felt responsive and enjoyable throughout. A really nice balance I thought.

Malo

Banned
Really enjoying the game so far, but man, I wish the tombs would be at least somewhat challenging. I just got to
Geothermal Caverns
, how far into the game am I?

Zaptruder

Banned
This game is the epitome of modern glitz adventure shooter in both the good and the bad. Great graphics presentation and polish through out. But also both unchallenging with a bent for ridiculous repetitiveness. There are also some unreasonable difficulty spikes in the shooting game; when encountering large packs of enemies that rush you wave after wave until you're dead or you've replayed the section enough to memorize when and how they're coming in.

Maybe that last element is actually a good thing in The sense of old school shootemups where repetition and memorization is a necessary part of gameplay. But damn if it doesn't feel out of place with the rest of the face rolling that comprises the game.

Playing the game leaves me with a sense of cheap thrills and a wonderment and how much more this game could be if the developers would just embrace a mindset of not thinking ill of the player's intelligence.

Badgerst3

My goty so far.

No HUD made it very immersive. Loved the island and bought into Lara's struggle.

The bow and bow mechanics make it one of the best video game weapons in recent memory.

Sadly- no sp DLC.

CD-fast track the next one!

8bit

Knows the Score
Have finished this with 99% completion, is there anywhere I can farm salvage? I'm about 300 short of my last weapon upgrade.

Have finished this with 99% completion, is there anywhere I can farm salvage? I'm about 300 short of my last weapon upgrade.

You should try Shantytown, always some enemies there. You can also hunt animals, should give you some scrap if you have all upgrades.
Also, if you find all GPS caches, you get 1000 scrap.

8bit

Knows the Score
You should try Shantytown, always some enemies there. You can also hunt animals, should give you some scrap if you have all upgrades.
Also, if you find all GPS caches, you get 1000 scrap.

Yeah got that one last night, I was just about to give up on upgrading the weapons when I found it. Will try Shantytown. I did go into Multiplayer just in case I could get scrap from there, but quickly bailed once I realised it was just full of people bouncing up and down and firing in all directions.

KevinCow

Banned
Welp. Turns out that glitched campfire that my map refused to acknowledge existed did indeed screw me out of a 100% save file and a trophy.

That, the annoying input lag that constantly screwed up my aim, and the occasional instakill QTE kinda left a sour aftertaste on what was otherwise quite a fun game.

Mascot

Yeah got that one last night, I was just about to give up on upgrading the weapons when I found it. Will try Shantytown. I did go into Multiplayer just in case I could get scrap from there, but quickly bailed once I realised it was just full of people bouncing up and down and firing in all directions.

Master Chief has a lot to answer for.

kaskade

Just finished it. Absolutely loved it. Felt it was a little slow burn in the beginning but got much better once it opened up a bit. Story surprised me a bit. I guess I wasn't expecting it to go in the direction it did. Really good direction in the game though. It was kind of cool to see Lara transform a bit and become more and more sure of herself as time went on.

Camilla Luddington's damn sexy voice was great too.

ManeKast

Finally bought this yesterday, switched it on (PS3) at 5:30pm after work, put it on hard........ next thing I know its 2am. WOW.

This game is so freaking amazingly awesome, I love the new Lara, the setting, the sound the gameplay....... everything. Can't wait to get home from work now.

Was it the right move starting on hard? I'm thinking so.

I started thinking I was getting sick of videogames, then this. Kudos to Crystal Dynamics Inc., you have made a wonderfully enjoyable single player game I will cherish forever.

Nome

Just finished this... really great game. I actually am dreading Bioshock Infinite now. I never played the old Tomb Raider games, and honestly I still can't really be arsed to (other than Guardian of Light, which looks interesting). It's made a fan out of me though.

Just finished it. Absolutely loved it. Felt it was a little slow burn in the beginning but got much better once it opened up a bit. Story surprised me a bit. I guess I wasn't expecting it to go in the direction it did. Really good direction in the game though. It was kind of cool to see Lara transform a bit and become more and more sure of herself as time went on.

Camilla Luddington's damn sexy voice was great too.

Finally bought this yesterday, switched it on (PS3) at 5:30pm after work, put it on hard........ next thing I know its 2am. WOW.

This game is so freaking amazingly awesome, I love the new Lara, the setting, the sound the gameplay....... everything. Can't wait to get home from work now.

Was it the right move starting on hard? I'm thinking so.

I started thinking I was getting sick of videogames, then this. Kudos to Crystal Dynamics Inc., you have made a wonderfully enjoyable single player game I will cherish forever.

Just finished this... really great game. I actually am dreading Bioshock Infinite now. I never played the old Tomb Raider games, and honestly I still can't really be arsed to (other than Guardian of Light, which looks interesting). It's made a fan out of me though.

Dat praise.

gdt

Oh forgot to post a mini review.

Finished it about a week ago....liked it overall. Everything was good, nothing really stood out for me and knocked me out. It did nothing new or amazing, so it won't be all that memorable. A really solid game, that unfortunately lacked hard in the puzzle department. Oh well.

A low 8....some of the areas in this game are beautiful....lots of atmosphere.

Top Bottom