• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I would love for that to happen :p but I got a feeling reading that AMA on reddit that the next game will have exactly the same focus on combat and easy puzzles (they don't want players to be stuck). They have a cool oportunity with the side tombs to please new and old fans.

Take another page from Uncharted and give the players a journal. I mean they already give us detective vision that makes puzzles a breeze, just go the extra step and have the solutions in the journal.

Lost_Paradise

Neo Member
Take another page from Uncharted and give the players a journal. I mean they already give us detective vision that makes puzzles a breeze, just go the extra step and have the solutions in the journal.

No, that would be horrible :(
But really, is puzzle solving a thing that gamers despise nowadays?

RagnarokX

But look at, for example, Mario games. Nintendo used superguide as their compromise to placate today's gamer that hates challenge without actually lowering the amount of challenge in their games.

And for as much complaints as Skyward Sword got for "handholding" it never actually told you how to do anything that really required figuring out unless you asked it to or, in two cases, failed to figure it out. Skyward Sword's real problem was pacing and an overabundance of poorly thought out quests. This new Tomb Raider is the king... er... queen of handholding.

Lost_Paradise

Neo Member
I really liked GOL, no stupid QTEs and scripted sequences, they should have just called this game lara begins or something.

Regarding the handholding, yeah it's pretty bad now, detective mode is in a lot of games now, thief, hitman and this.
I really think real tomb raider games can only survive in the downloadable space with a lower budget and a more focused design, been saying this on trf for a while.

FroJay

Banned
No, that would be horrible :(
But really, is puzzle solving a thing that gamers despise nowadays?

Games are getting more and more dumbed down, but since the tomb puzzles are technically optional parts of the game it would be nice if they were more difficult than they are. I'm halfway through, thoroughly enjoying the game at this point, but it would be nice if those optional puzzles were tougher.

Epcott

The recent thread about automatic life regeneration in games current gen games had me thinking.

This game would have benefited from a wound care system similar to that used in MGS3. It was annoying and jarring at times, but it fit perfectly well into the narrative of Snake Eater and the survival theme.

In TR, I had to shake my head at moments when Laura (after being previously punctured and moaning in a cinematic) began walking normally 5-7 minutes later, as if she walked it off. I would have loved to had been forced to make the choice between using limited bandage salvage for a gun magazine upgrade or tending to a wound.

They need to do this for the eventual sequel, would add more tension.

xxracerxx

Games are getting more and more dumbed down, but since the tomb puzzles are technically optional parts of the game it would be nice if they were more difficult than they are. I'm halfway through, thoroughly enjoying the game at this point, but it would be nice if those optional puzzles were tougher.

What you don't like a one part puzzle in a single room to solve the entire "tomb?"

RagnarokX

I really liked GOL, no stupid QTEs and scripted sequences, they should have just called this game lara begins or something.

Regarding the handholding, yeah it's pretty bad now, detective mode is in a lot of games now, thief, hitman and this.
I really think real tomb raider games can only survive in the downloadable space with a lower budget and a more focused design, been saying this on trf for a while.

I have no problem with detective mode; it's an option that players can use if they get stuck and don't want to figure things out on their own; it allows both people who want a game and people that want an experience to both get something they can enjoy. The real problem is that this game is so easy that detective mode is complete overkill. It's designed so that anyone can breeze through it and seldom gives a sense of accomplishment to those that want a legitimate challenge.

Look at Arkham Asylum; very similar to this game, but with actual challenge in all facets of its gameplay and an upgrade system that actually mattered. It sold a ton and it was a new IP to boot that brought fresh new concepts to the table. They didn't have to dumb things down to an insulting level to pander to the masses, so what is Tomb Raider's excuse?

I wouldn't even mind more of these Lara Croft cinematic action adventures if it also meant we could get some standalone Tomb Raider-ish Tomb Raider games in the future. They've built a sweet engine, absolutely nailed her controls and animation, and have a bunch of existing assets and some very high quality artistic talent on hand.

They can have their mainstream cake and eat it too, without sacrificing the true heart and soul of the series. Make a smaller budget, ODST-like spin-off, focused purely on exploration, environmental puzzle solving and maybe some hunting (the bow is one addition I truly loved).

Look at X-Com. They put out an amazing turn based game and kept their longstanding fanbase happy. That gives them the breathing room to put out that X-Com FPS if they want, without so much backlash. How much better could the Syndicate FPS have been received if they also put out a title more fitting to the originals? (Syndicate is one of the most overlooked game this gen btw. The co-op is spectacular.)

I don't know. But at least in theory it could be a win/win.

FroJay

Banned
What you don't like a one part puzzle in a single room to solve the entire "tomb?"

Haha, I think for anyone past a first grade puzzle level these "puzzles" are disappointing at best. Besides that factor I love the rest of the game, very well done. Strangely enough I don't mind the detective mode in this game although it seems a little cheap here and there as well, but also necessary at times.

RagnarokX

Haha, I think for anyone past a first grade puzzle level these "puzzles" are disappointing at best. Besides that factor I love the rest of the game, very well done. Strangely enough I don't mind the detective mode in this game although it seems a little cheap here and there as well, but also necessary at times.

Detective mode isn't a bad idea as a help to impatient gamers, but it's not necessary in this game apart from using it to locate the poorly designed pixel hunt collectibles.

Lost_Paradise

Neo Member
I have no problem with detective mode; it's an option that players can use if they get stuck and don't want to figure things out on their own; it allows both people who want a game and people that want an experience to both get something they can enjoy. The real problem is that this game is so easy that detective mode is complete overkill. It's designed so that anyone can breeze through it and seldom gives a sense of accomplishment to those that want a legitimate challenge.

Look at Arkham Asylum; very similar to this game, but with actual challenge in all facets of its gameplay and an upgrade system that actually mattered. It sold a ton and it was a new IP to boot that brought fresh new concepts to the table. They didn't have to dumb things down to an insulting level to pander to the masses, so what is Tomb Raider's excuse?

I dont' really know, they wanted to make the game more accessible for the masses but it's ridiculous, they even tell you where the collectibles are wtf.

I wouldn't even mind more of these Lara Croft cinematic action adventures if it also meant we could get some standalone Tomb Raider-ish Tomb Raider games in the future. They've built a sweet engine, absolutely nailed her controls and animation, and have a bunch of existing assets and some very high quality artistic talent on hand.

They can have their mainstream cake and eat it too, without sacrificing the true heart and soul of the series. Make a smaller budget, ODST-like spin-off, focused purely on exploration, environmental puzzle solving and maybe some hunting (the bow is one addition I truly loved).

Look at X-Com. They put out an amazing turn based game and kept their longstanding fanbase happy. That gives them the breathing room to put out that X-Com FPS if they want, without so much backlash. How much better could the Syndicate FPS have been received if they also put out a title more fitting to the originals? (Syndicate is one of the most overlooked game this gen btw. The co-op is spectacular.)

I don't know. But at least in theory it could be a win/win.

Yeah this, the mainstream games could follow the Lara croft brand, while the downloadable games would be the real tomb raider games.

MCD

The recent thread about automatic life regeneration in games current gen games had me thinking.

This game would have benefited from a wound care system similar to that used in MGS3. It was annoying and jarring at times, but it fit perfectly well into the narrative of Snake Eater and the survival theme.

In TR, I had to shake my head at moments when Laura (after being previously punctured and moaning in a cinematic) began walking normally 5-7 minutes later, as if she walked it off. I would have loved to had been forced to make the choice between using limited bandage salvage for a gun magazine upgrade or tending to a wound.

They need to do this for the eventual sequel, would add more tension.

And the fact that animals are just there for XP grinding. lol that first cutscene where she cuts the gazelle was super dumb afterwards.

RagnarokX

I dont' really know, they wanted to make the game more accessible for the masses but it's ridiculous, they even tell you where the collectibles are wtf.
While I don't think telling you where the collectibles are is a good idea, the Arkham games handled it a LOT better. Like with Tomb Raider, you could find maps telling you where the stand-alone Riddler trophies were, but finding them was still an actual challenge, even more so in Arkham City. The problem with Tomb Raider's collectibles is that none of them are challenging to find apart from some of them being virtually invisible and they don't offer a good reward. In the Core Tomb Raider games, the secrets were either a special hidden room which was hard to get to, making the secret rewarding due to the challenge of finding it, and/or a trinket like in TR2 that was hard to find; in both cases the secrets also gave you very good rewards for finding them.

Yeah this, the mainstream games could follow the Lara croft brand, while the downloadable games would be the real tomb raider games.

While I like GoL and would like more games like it, I want a game that is like this Tomb Raider but with actual challenge and a focus on well designed lengthy tombs. Something that feels really meaty, you know?

Epcott

And the fact that animals are just there for XP grinding. lol that first cutscene where she cuts the gazelle was super dumb afterwards.

Yeah, it was a downer when after the hunt/kill you realize you can't take the caracas to the campfire and see a cooking animation, or stuff some meat in your pack, or anything other than receive "Tah-dah! +12 salvage!" The game had no instruction book so you find it out after the fact.

So much talk and hype about hunting dear for nothing more than experience points (the same points you can get from prying open a box).

Lost_Paradise

Neo Member
While I don't think telling you where the collectibles are is a good idea, the Arkham games handled it a LOT better. Like with Tomb Raider, you could find maps telling you where the stand-alone Riddler trophies were, but finding them was still an actual challenge, even more so in Arkham City. The problem with Tomb Raider's collectibles is that none of them are challenging to find apart from some of them being virtually invisible and they don't offer a good reward. In the Core Tomb Raider games, the secrets were either a special hidden room which was hard to get to, making the secret rewarding due to the challenge of finding it, and/or a trinket like in TR2 that was hard to find; in both cases the secrets also gave you very good rewards for finding them.

While I like GoL and would like more games like it, I want a game that is like this Tomb Raider but with actual challenge and a focus on well designed lengthy tombs. Something that feels really meaty, you know?

Maybe they could hide the collectibles and relics in the side tombs or the paths to the side tombs.

And yeah the whole game feels like playtesting hold them back because crystal still has very talented people from the soul reaver days.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, it was a downer when after the hunt/kill you realize you can't take the caracas to the campfire and see a cooking animation, or stuff some meat in your pack, or anything other than receive "Tah-dah! +12 salvage!" The game had no instruction book so you find it out after the fact.

So much talk and hype about hunting dear for nothing more than experience points (the same points you can get from prying open a box).
Im fairly certain they originally had animals give you food but cut that out of the game. Theres a lot of evidence to support that.

CatPee

There's an enormous amount of missed opportunities in the game, such as a day/night cycle influencing behavior of enemies, basic needs involving thirst/hunger/rest, and a crafting system that consists of more than just magic salvage that transforms a WW2 assault rifle into a modern one.

dreamfall

Just was walking around the city, and stumbled across Lara bigger than some buildings.

ibtTOe9ZcFpOri.png

I'm sad that there isn't much after 100%-ing the game. I wanted some new outfits to replay the game with, or some DLC tombs or something.

I don't want to uninstall it just yet, maybe attempt to assemble a group for some multiplayer.

protonion

I'm just before the final boss.

I don't know... The game feels like a missed opportunity. The beginning was very strong. If they continued in the same way with meaty tombs all over the island, it would be the reboot all the fans hoped for.

But then it became a poor man's Uncharted. The game did not need so much shooting. And what is this trend that started with U2? I'm talking about all the crumbling and destruction of anything you touch. Stop it already!

The worst part of the game is Lara herself. She is beyond annoying.

In the end it's very polished and well paced game that will be forgotten because it doesn't do anything particularly well.

Yoda

I normally stay away from linear action or pseudo linear games (uncharted, assassin's creed, etc...) as I seem to always end up disappointed by an uninspired story line, overly repeated game play elements (AC 1 anyone), or uninspired characters. While these aren't normally what you judge games on, they matter a whole lot more when there isn't/you aren't going for the multi-player component.

The game is hardly an ace in the whole, but for the first time in a really long time I truly enjoyed the experience from start to finish. The last comparable experience I had was the Witcher 2, which like this game I played from start to finish, in one sitting, which is something I stopped doing this gen. To put it into perspective my "backlog" on steam totals to $5460.00.

I found the majority of Lara's story extremely compelling and well fleshed out, aside from her "first blood" experience; which was well done, the lack of a transition robbed her character development of arguably its strongest moment, the rest of said development, such as her willingness to trust others, her "loss" vs. "sacrifice" choice, etc.. were all very top of the line by industry standards. However the story wasn't the only element which this game scored high marks on. The level design is usually a hit over a miss. They didn't over due the ultra scripted linear QTE portions to where they became a nuisance, and in some instances I actually enjoyed them (I usually despise these, was a low point in the Witcher 2 for me). The platforming segments are also well done, while the puzzle solving aspect could have been more challenging, I found them relativity enjoyable and I actually wanted to find extra salvage/relics/journals.

I run/am the GM of a 25-man guild in WoW and I've convinced the majority of them to buy this... a very solid game. I hope it gets a sequel of the same quality.

cackhyena

The worst part of the game is Lara herself. She is beyond annoying.

In the end it's very polished and well paced game that will be forgotten because it doesn't do anything particularly well.

Beyond the voice actress having to grunt a shitload for how much Lara gets the living day lights knocked out of her, explain why/how she is annoying exactly? Seems entirely normal to me. Decently voiced, down to earth character. Nothing grating I can think of.

Left the last sentence quoted for its absurdity. Say it does two things well then say it does nothing well.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Finished this up last night. Still really, really enjoyed it. The amount of falling Lara did was beyond absurd - even in context - and the amount of collect a trinkets that did nothing was eye-rolling. Hated the "suddenly magic" aspect, but that's a cliche at this point for this type of game.

Other than that, the voice acting was great, the art direction fantastic, it controlled like a dream, the story was engaging, the world was awesome and I love Metroid gameplay conceits. It used great camera angles to give a sense of scale without tearing away controls too much. The length was just right, IMO.

Wish they had some unlockables and that the hunting and survival stuff made it into the final game. Loved the character of Lara, too. I definitely wanted to get to know her story more.

Can't wait for TR2.

Beat the game. I enjoyed it for the most part but a few things pissed me off:

QTE based ending pissed me the fuck off

and why did they replace the cool looking japenese creatures with samurais and generic paramilitary goons found in every single game?

Oh, what's that?

All i could think of during that was...

7712201_ori.png

what movie is this?

Skilletor

Well, I finished it with 67%. I have no desire at all to go back and find gps things laying on the ground, or to complete any of the "challenges." I'm done with this game, and most likely the series which, I suppose, will be good for the people who constantly bitched about me being critical of the game, or said that me and people like me just didn't like change. I don't post in threads about games in which I have no interest, and if the series continues as this game does, this will be one of those games.

I really enjoyed what I estimate would be about 1/4 of the game, was actually pretty decent. I enjoyed myself. The platforming wasn't challenging, but satisfying in the same way I find Assassin's Creed satisfying. Traversal rather than platforming, and looking cool while doing it. I enjoyed the verticality of the combat, the freedom you had while fighting.

I did not enjoy the "tombs." The artisitc direction around them was great. It feels like a real missed opportunity to have them expanded on, add a few more environmental traps (were there any traps in this game?) and puzzles. I did not enjoy the lack of challenge. I had my bow upgraded, but for the most part did not bother upgrading any other weapons. I never got the scope on the AK or whatever, so I didn't get to see how broken that was.

I don't care about stories in games, so that was neither here nor there for me. It didn't factor into my enjoyment, or lack thereof, at all, except for the on rails sequences which forced me to play a certain way and took away player agency.

Pretty much everybody else has said exactly how I feel already. I think this game was like junk food. It's the Michael Bay movies of videogames. Fun for the ride but shallow when you try to analyze it. Extremely average game with extremely exceptional presentation.

Edit: Aww, top of the page. :(

It's a shame because there are parts of it that are really good (The metroidvania style way of unlocking areas, the art style and way the tombs look, the few puzzles that are in the game, the score) but as a whole the game feels way too damn generic with QTEs, fighting waves of troops with military hardware (even though your supposed to be stranded on a remote island WTF), and linear corridor --> cutscene --> corridor gameplay.

People are hating on this? I'm almost done and I'm loving every bit of it (minus the framerate at times on PS3). I love the weapon customization (although a bit shallow in delivery), but I did not realize you can customize weapons to such a degree. My bow is like Jesus.

People are hating on this? I'm almost done and I'm loving every bit of it (minus the framerate at times on PS3). I love the weapon customization (although a bit shallow in delivery), but I did not realize you can customize weapons to such a degree. My bow is like Jesus.

Read what people are saying. Its not "hating"

LQX

Well, I finished it with 67%. I have no desire at all to go back and find gps things laying on the ground, or to complete any of the "challenges." I'm done with this game, and most likely the series which, I suppose, will be good for the people who constantly bitched about me being critical of the game, or said that me and people like me just didn't like change. I don't post in threads about games in which I have no interest, and if the series continues as this game does, this will be one of those games.

I really enjoyed what I estimate would be about 1/4 of the game, was actually pretty decent. I enjoyed myself. The platforming wasn't challenging, but satisfying in the same way I find Assassin's Creed satisfying. Traversal rather than platforming, and looking cool while doing it. I enjoyed the verticality of the combat, the freedom you had while fighting.

I did not enjoy the "tombs." The artisitc direction around them was great. It feels like a real missed opportunity to have them expanded on, add a few more environmental traps (were there any traps in this game?) and puzzles. I did not enjoy the lack of challenge. I had my bow upgraded, but for the most part did not bother upgrading any other weapons. I never got the scope on the AK or whatever, so I didn't get to see how broken that was.

I don't care about stories in games, so that was neither here nor there for me. It didn't factor into my enjoyment, or lack thereof, at all, except for the on rails sequences which forced me to play a certain way and took away player agency.

Pretty much everybody else has said exactly how I feel already. I think this game was like junk food. It's the Michael Bay movies of videogames. Fun for the ride but shallow when you try to analyze it. Extremely average game with extremely exceptional presentation.

Wow, you have been going on for about two weeks and twenty pages. I think you love this game.

Dahbomb

It's not actual customization, you are just upgrading your weapons. Customization implies that your bow differs from mine but it doesn't, at the end everyone has the same equipment. The AR and Bow at full upgrades can decimate an army.

R3TRODYCE

Been playing this nonstop today, forced myself to put it down so I have something to play on my next day off. This game exceeded my expectations (albeit low expectations) however the game still has wowed me.

What is the point of killing animals? The first time you do it is to get meat and they make it seem like its going to be a part of the gameplay but you never have to again yet there skills you can level up that revolve around them.

xxracerxx

What is the point of killing animals? The first time you do it is to get meat and they make it seem like its going to be a part of the gameplay but you never have to again yet there skills you can level up that revolve around them.

To get that awesome salvage they carry around in their pockets.

Derrick01

Banned

Nothing but a glorified xp/salvage grind for when you beat the game and still have stuff to make.

BillyBats

Banned
I really enjoy this game for what it is. It's basically Uncharted with a more likable protagonist with some light Metroid elements. For the next game up, I'd be okay with 50 percent less combat and 50 percent more puzzles/Metroid style recursions, but other than those minor complaints, I'm totally in love with this. GOTY for me, so far.

Just finished it myself. I was thoroughly entertained from beginning to end. The action never let up and the cinema sequences were amazing. I would love to see more exploration in the next one. I loved the gun play and would love to see them add more as the cover mechanic worked perfectly. They nailed the sounds of gunfire and bullets bouncing off objects. 9/10 for me.

I just wish it had an actual boss fight at the end and some payoff in terms of survival horror elements and creatures from japenese mythology. Art style, graphics and music get an A+ from me however.

XOMTOR

Just finished it myself. I was thoroughly entertained from beginning to end. The action never let up and the cinema sequences were amazing.

Glad you enjoyed it but I dunno, some of those set pieces were pretty ridiculous even by video game standards. Midway through, the boat
hanging in mid-air half way up the mountain side
was borderline stupid. I mean, what the bloody hell was that? Did they find
Noah's Ark up there
or something?

Also, during the course of the game, how many "holy shit" moments were there? How many times can she manage to fall and "just make it"? Not to mention, she'd have broken every bone in her body by the end. Seriously Drake goes through some crazy shit but nothing even remotely as zany as this. I doubt John McLane has had that many close calls. Anyway, lest anyone think I'm a "hater", I actually enjoyed the game on some level. Just there were some pretty big eye-roll moments in this game.

Glad you finally got through it. Sounds about the same as me, but you managed to make a succinct post whereas I rambled for 10,000 words.

I've gotta admit that if they take some feedback to heart and add some damned puzzles and challenge to traversal (I'm resigned that more varied combat is a pipe dream), I'd give a sequel a shot. Not holding my breath, though.

goldensnake

Neo Member
Finished it with 70% completion.

I enjoyed the majority of the game, I think the first half was stronger than the second, which kind of started to drag on towards the end. The story and characters were mostly throwaway but the island and the general atmosphere were great.

The shooting mechanics felt good and although there are many fights I never really got tired of them, which always happens in every other shooter/action game for me. A few more downtime sections may have helped the pacing a little bit, the last few hours felt like a roller coaster ride of go here, now go here quick! now here, here, here, help! here!
I know you can ignore it all and go finish up side tombs all you want but the story arc never let me really want to do that, it was always pushing me to the next part in a hurry.

All in all really enjoyable, wouldn't replay it but would definitely be interested in a sequel.

Played some of the MP and thought it was a low budget Uncharted MP. On PS3 the frame rate even with just a handful of players was awful and the MP felt glitchy and uninspired.

RagnarokX

We're not hating. Most of us enjoy the game for what it is, but what it is is a braindead easy heavily guided game with almost no challenge. We're disappointed that the gameplay doesn't feature a level of challenge comparable to even CD's previous Tomb Raiders or even similar modern games that it emulates such as Arkham Asylum; it's extremely dumbed down, and in the case of the white paint everywhere, insultingly so. It ultimately feels sorta empty as a game in most areas of the gameplay, but enjoyable as an experience. This isn't a great analogy, but it's like a beautifully crafted meal consisting only of appetizers. It's satisfying, but you know the cooks could have and should have done A LOT better based on past visits to the restaurant.

Top Bottom