• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Derrick01

Banned
The texture work on the console versions is among the best I have seen. Super clean IQ, as well. Game just looks incredible.

Not many games have the ability to wow me on 7/8 year old hardware.

The videos and screens I've seen have looked horrible as far as textures goes. Even some of the stuff on Steam looks bad but I have to assume those are console vids/screens since the PC version boats up to 16x better textures I think.

Very true. Hitman: Absolution looked fantastic on PC, despite the game being quite poor.

Yeah and they pulled it off while demanding relatively modest specs. I think this game only recommends a 480 so it seems like they'll do it again.

Skilletor

All I see is people hating the game who haven't played it and I even spied people accusin Tricky of being a viral marketer.

Not really conducive. ;_;

Not many people have played it. All most people have to go by to form opinions, positive or negative, are footage and reviews.

dreamfall

8 hours in - I still think this is a fantastic Game.

In Glam I trust.

Does anyone else find it funny that Pratchett wrote PoP08 that cast Nolan North as the Prince? We've come full circle- Uncharted conspiracy, planting the (light)seeds early for Lara's inspiration!

antitrop

So to claim our Scavenger DLC, a new code will print on our preorder pickup receipts/email?
Amazon e-mailed me the Hunter Skin Code and the Shanty Town Code yesterday.

I'm interested in this Scavenger thing, as well. I'm not really sure what the deal pre-order DLC is, it's very confusing.

antitrop

I decided to read the OP for the first time... Wtf is this?

"Digital copy of Geoff Keighley's The Final Hours of Tomb Raider for Kindle Fire"

I don't even have a Kindle, but what the hell is that?

fuenf

Man this game ist absolutely fantastic... No exploration? I just played the game for 3 hous and I only progressed from Lara's 5th diary to her 6th (progress went from 32% to 44%). The
barrack village
was amazing, so much stuff to do, even acrobatics. I loved searching for collectibles during that segment of the game. Sure people can run & gun through everything but in my opionion that equals missing half of the game. I really appreciate how open everything feels, taking your time to explore and track back a little really pays off in this game.

Playing on hard was the right choice too, I have to admit the combat reached Uncharted levels some times and the gun fights were definitely hard (still using the bow 90% of the time) but the game is just so much fun to play. My only criticism would be that there's too much ammunition in this game, it ruins the survival aspect a little bit. If CD had implemented a food system (seeing that there are still rations in the game I guess they cut it pretty late) and distributed the ammunition a little bit more sparingly, this would be the ULTIMATE survival game. I can't recall having so much fun with an action adventure since Uncharted 2.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What am I reading? It's like I'm in the twilight zone. The game has dished up slog fight after slog fight with many enemies, and you are trying to say you've only encountered a few?

What are you talking about? There aren't any really long gunfights until halfway through the game.

The platforming is better with open areas? There are no open areas, it's an illusion that gets the best of us. There is very little platforming here, mostly just very easy jumping over gaps.

The "platforming" in TR largely the same as Uncharted so any complaints you levy towards it goes both ways. I didn't say anything about there being open areas. I said they are more open than Uncharted, with examples. It isn't even arguable, it is just true.

The combat? It's pretty good. They gave it a good shot but not nearly as solid as uncharted.

In what way does Uncharted exceed TR? The bow is more fun to use than any gun in UC. The cover system is more intuitive and the melee stuff with the scramble is much more active and enjoyable.

It feels like I've been through a cave, through a forest, and through some remote village, a thousand times already.

What? No.

Oh and the puzzles are laughable. It's literally open gas pipe, create fire, swing the lantern in the direction of the fire and the way forward. Think you are stuck in a cleverly designed room? Yes until the game prompts you to use your shotgun to open the way forward. There are no clever puzzles here, no deciphering of clues. Just wind, explosions, and wave after wave of pirates to kill.

Yep, except not very many waves of enemies save for the middle of the game.

I have been re-watching the game today because I am splitting up video for upload and review.

God damn, the sound design is so good. It's really starting to shine in the bunker area.

Also, **head shot on an enemy** Lara: "go to hell". Perfect delivery and hella badass!

Lime

I don't even have a Kindle, but what the hell is that?

DoritoPope has some inside documents and interviews on the development of a game. It's supposedly pretty high quality, according to people who read the Portal 2 and Mass Effect 3 Final Hours...

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
So I'm near the end of the game and so far its been really good. But not worth 60 bucks.I think renting this is the way to go.

It reminds me alot of Uncharted , when you boil it down to the minimun, this is basicly Uncharted: Drake's Fortune with improved combat.

Varna

Asked this earlier.... Is the hardest mode a decent challenge at least?

So I'm near the end of the game and so far its been really good. But not worth 60 bucks.I think renting this is the way to go.

It reminds me alot of Uncharted , when you boil it down to the minimun, this is basicly Uncharted: Drake's Fortune with improved combat.

Even with the semi-open levels it still feels as heavily guided as Uncharted?

GlassBox

Banned
I recently played the Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy. Then immediately went to play Uncharted afterward. It felt as if I was playing the same game.

It's no surprise to think this new one would contain gameplay and platforming similar to Uncharted, since Uncharted played similar to the latest Tomb Raiders.

fuenf

Asked this earlier.... Is the hardest mode a decent challenge at least?

It's relatively easy. Definitely not as hard as veteran in CoD or 'hard' in Uncharted, you can make the fights a lot harder (and more fun!), though, if you stick to the bow.

If this game isnt worth 60 bucks than I dont know what is. It's an amazing game and the production value is off the chain.

Varna

I recently played the Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy. Then immediately went to play Uncharted afterward. It felt as if I was playing the same game.

I've never played Underworld (though I do have it) but yeah, Legends has a bit too much shooting for my liking but it's in no way even close to Uncharted's gameplay. Anniversary is is even further in the other spectrum. I don't even know how one would be able to compare them.

C.Monkey

Banned
I've never played Underworld (though I do have it) but yeah, Legends has a bit too much shooting for my liking but it's in no way even close to Uncharted's gameplay. Anniversary is is even further in the other spectrum. I don't even know how one would be able to compare them.
yeah they are completely different from uncharted when it comes to combat. Not to mention, they hardly revolve around combat like Uncharted does.

GlassBox

Banned
Platforming wise they are near identical. Only thing is true, Uncharted has more shooting. Though Legend and Underworld did have a lot of shooting. Anniversary also had it's fair share.

antitrop

Where's all the violence coming from? Is it the video games. I bet it's the video games.

I feel like this guy wouldn't be too out of place in Tomb Raider:

nfR3V6M.jpg

Chronicling the misadventures of Lara Croft as she murders her way through a shipwrecked island.

I am incapable of conditioning myself to believe something that's not true with a game. After all the railing I did against Hitman I went in to it ready to judge it for what it was, and it was a really bad stealth game due to the compromises they made to the design to make it accessible to the modern gamer. I told it exactly how it was as I experienced it and I'll do the same with this.

You're right. I remember back when you were excited for Dishonored and I thought to myself he's probably going to think it's great regardless of it's quality, due to the hype. When Dishonored eventually came out you shit on it about as much as you do on any other game.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm watching a Tomb Raider Anniversary livestream, the swan dive still is so awesome. Please tell me that is also in this game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am incapable of conditioning myself to believe something that's not true with a game. After all the railing I did against Hitman I went in to it ready to judge it for what it was, and it was a really bad stealth game due to the compromises they made to the design to make it accessible to the modern gamer. I told it exactly how it was as I experienced it and I'll do the same with this.

You dont need to bother, you've already established you hate everything and nobody will take your negative comments seriously anyway.

Top Bottom