• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider screens

Gribbix said:
Depends on your definition of "open world." The devs mentioned Just Cause 2 as an example of what the game is not like. However, open world is frequently used to describe games with a single, unified world laid out like Super Metroid/Soul Reaver/Arkham Asylum which is what this game appears to mimic structurally.

I really hope that's the structure they use.

Yagharek

I appreciate what they are trying to do with this reboot. I also appreciate why people are comparing it with another third person adventure game, but thats understandable since its been a long time since Tomb Raider had a high profile and high quality release. And also both are going to be similar since they are based on Indiana Jones. However it would be nice to see this game evaluated on its own merits instead of attracting attention based on its similarity to other things.

That said, things that make me really excited about this game:
* Realistic character making for a more believable gameworld (Lara Croft as a character had almost become a running joke, let's be honest)
* It looks like it is adding some sense of gravity to the events - ie deaths are brutal and sudden
* Visuals look fantastic
* Guardian of Light shower that the genre has opportunity for a great atmosphere
* Exploring jungles/caves is awesome

Really looking forward to trying out a demo of this.

Also, last comment - more games should be trying to be like TR and UC. High quality adventure games are always welcome in my book.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Since this is a Square Enix franchise, I'll be expecting magical hair physics from Lara Croft.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Looks really good. I'm so glad they have moved away from old Lara's freakish proportions and Bride of Wildenstein face.

V_Arnold

The Take Out Bandit said:
Well, I for one an pleased we've moved past pure objectification of competent female characters with big boobs; and into this new generation of battered female objectification.

Unfortunately the corporation won't let Lara die a good death.

How many reboots is this franchise going to get before they just let it go? :|

Feel free to let it go, dude.
Stop watching Tomb Raider-related news.
Stop entering into TR threads.
Stop posting there.

Whao, problem solved.

UrbanRats

If you think about it, Deus Ex Human Revo, too, suffered from really bad PR screens presentation.
Sub HD aliasing mess.. but the actual game, is probably gonna be great with Tassellation and all that jazz.

Regarding the open wordness: yeah, the game informer article confirmed a Metroidvania, Batman-like, hub world, IIRC.
Which is what sets it apart from Uncharted the most, really, i don't see the two games clashing together, unless this TR concetrate too much on those set pieces described in the GI article, and Uncharted 3 going more open world and less "spectacular", this time around.

Mr_Zombie

Takuan said:
This is pretty silly. They're both similar in theme and gameplay - one just happens to do it much better than the other has in the past - so the comparisons are natural and somewhat warranted. It's strange to get annoyed by it and then spout the nonsense that is your second sentence.

Yeah, Tomb Raider was always better at challenging platforming and solving environmental puzzles.

UrbanRats

Unknown Soldier said:
Why is the default reboot for everything these days always gritty and dark? :lol
Some are completely unnecessary(Bomberman, SSX) some are quite justified (Tomb Raider).
TR1 had scary moments, had dark caves, had Lara dying in pretty brutal ways.. so it's not this shocking to have a more realistic approach to the thing.
They're giving us a less empowered Lara, so all the perils/foes will be amplified and, ultimately, much more effective.

derFeef

Xater said:
Bullshots, but it will still be a good looking game.
Darkmakaimura said:
These are serious bullshots. Want to see game in motion.
Bernbaum said:
Bullshotted to all hell, but I think I've got a feel for what they're going for and I don't mind it at all.
Oh man :lol

Nuclear Muffin said:
Visuals look like a mixture of God of War 3 and Heavy Rain.
I am sorry, I can´t get my head around this, in no way possible.

Unknown Soldier said:
Why is the default reboot for everything these days always gritty and dark? :lol
It´s in a cave. It´s dark in caves.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Meh, just looks like uncharted with a chick.
Yeah no?

Kayhan

TheExodu5 said:
Jesus fucking christ...if you're this anal retentive how can you even manage to play video games without wanting to blow your brains out?
I am sorry my powers of observation has shocked you.

Takuan said:
This is pretty silly. They're both similar in theme and gameplay - one just happens to do it much better than the other has in the past - so the comparisons are natural and somewhat warranted. It's strange to get annoyed by it and then spout the nonsense that is your second sentence.

They really aren't all that similar in terms of gameplay. There's no doubt that there is some similarities between the two, but certainly nothing that should warrant comments like, "Looks like Uncharted with a girl". In terms of platforming and puzzles compared to gunplay the TR games are about 80/20 while Uncharted games are probably around 30/70. Which means the core experience in both are pretty different. This TR also has aspects that make it different compared to Uncharted. Drake has the same game mechanics throughout the Uncharted games, so he doesn't gradually gain more skills as you go along, while Lara isn't going to be able to reach certain points in the world until her skills increase over time. So both games have enough differences that they shouldn't be brought as often as they are in threads about each game.

I think that if you were to buy a TR game with the expectations of it being like Uncharted you'd walk away disappointed. The gunplay is mediocre at best and the stories and characters are fairly bland. And if you bought an Uncharted with the expectations of it being like TR you'd walk away disappointed with that also. The gunplay is the core mechanic and the puzzles and platforming are very easy.

Ushojax said:
Looks really good. I'm so glad they have moved away from old Lara's freakish proportions and Bride of Wildenstein face.
i liked the freakishly big boobs of the early tomb raiders which they should bring back tbh.

JDS 1977

Banned
To help balance out negativity I'll once again say how awesome this looks and I'm totally buying this even with a giant backlog.

faridmon

Wow, this is the first time I am excited by a new Lara Croft game. and this might the first time i will play a Tomb Raider game.

Thumbs up for her design. now she doesn't look like a slut/

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
All of Uncharted's "exploration heavy" levels combined have nothing on something like St Francis' Folly in TRA. If you can't see the difference then I can't do nothin for ya, son.

RobertM

Takuan said:
All I remember from Tomb Raider was a lot of pit traps, being chased by the dinosaur, and minimal shooting strewn in between exploration/puzzle solving. I'd love to see them (or any other dev) do this with current hardware. Actually, what would be very cool is if they went the point & click adventure game route with the puzzle solving, added a moderate dose of 3rd-person platforming, and threw in quality shooting sequences throughout. I'd definitely be excited for this type of game, but it's probably impossible to find a studio that does all those things equally well.
The main appeal of the series for me was the illusion of freedom and the feeling of isolation. There were a lot of layered puzzles where you would have to backtrack a bit or the room would change its orientation; stuff like made the game quite unique. Mirrors Edge came very close to the freedom aspect, but it was way too linear and different genre all together. If a studio takes the platforming aspect of Mirrors Edge, takes the shooting mechanics of Uncharted, and adds layered puzzles from Adventure games or even Tomb Raider, it could be one hell of a game.

If I could fund my own studio, that's the game I would love to create.

UrbanRats

Stallion Free said:
Meh, if I had my own studio Lara would drop combat completely and build on the St. Francis' Folly level concept/design.
YES!
I'd still have various fierce animals, but you couldn't fight them.. to kill them, you should lure them into envroinmental traps.

It looks ok, nothing amazing or special. I'm still very excited but I always go for the Tomb Raider games. I'm surprised that others are so interested in this reboot.

Fitz

UrbanRats said:
YES!
I'd still have various fierce animals, but you couldn't fight them.. to kill them, you should lure them into envroinmental traps.

That would be perfect for this reboot, lack of gun-slinging skills and all, more survival horror elements.

charsace

[Nintex] said:
I think the 'let's make everything dark and edgy' ship has sailed for me. I would've liked some nice environments instead of dark caves and a bleeding Laura.

Maybe this game will get brighter during the adventure. Like it starts out with Laura in pain and agony and she showly crawls from the dark caves into a world full of sunshine and love and this is all shown by slowly changing the graphics depending on the mood of the game.

Oh wait this is Tomb Raider 'hardcore', it'll probably be 'bang' 'bang' 'bang' I'm ANGRY NOW AND KILL YOU and be over in like 8 6 hours.
So you want bright, colorful tombs and caves?

And why do people say it looks like uncharted? Have some of you not played a Tomb Raider game before? Looks like one to me. The difference so far is that they are giving the game a darker look.

The Praiseworthy said:
Is there a chance they are going to show the first Trailer in SE event in January ?

I'd think that would be highly unlikely. That event seems to be specifically for Square's 1st Production Department.

Zen

Banned
A lot of people are excited for this new direction because a lot of people have always been interested in/played Tomb Raider in spite of the barbie doll look and feel of the series that was highly artificial and off putting. What worked in the 90's doesn't translate as well today.

The fact that she immediately feels like a real person, is a huge plus.

faridmon said:
Wow, this is the first time I am excited by a new Lara Croft game. and this might the first time i will play a Tomb Raider game.

Thumbs up for her design. now she doesn't look like a slut

Thank god.

UrbanRats

Metalmurphy said:
How many games do you play at a 1.500px × 2.667px resolution?

That's not saying the game won't look like that though.
I believe DennisK4 (and others) plays at 2560x1600p, actually.
I usually play at 1920x1200p.

Top Bottom