• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider screens

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
SolidSnakex said:
fBl4s.jpg

Man, she's still dirty even if she gets wet.

Tigel

This looks nice, but I hope we get to explore the island in a semi-open world kind of way. 10 hours of caves would be boring.

LiK

Tigel said:
This looks nice, but I hope we get to explore the island in a semi-open world kind of way. 10 hours of caves would be boring.

already confirmed that it'll be open world.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Screens aren't going to cut it with this game. I see some QTE prompts in there, which hints they maybe going the shitty platforming route ala Uncharted. Instead of giving me more free reign.

Amir0x

Banned
It's going to be interesting to see how much of the Tomb Raider feel they retain. I hope it's a good game but I long for the authentic Tomb Raider experience, because so few games are like it (in fact, it's the only game I can think of that has just this specific type of focus in gameplay).

I have developed a fair amount of faith with this group though. They've really turned the Tomb Raider franchise around quality-wise. I just hope this isn't a survivor horror game with a Tomb Raider skin. Playin' up the M rating for M rating sake

Game looks great to me. I like the new direction.

I'm a very pro "blue skies in games" guy, but Crystal Dynamics have put out 3 excellent Tomb Raider games in the old mould and it's time for something different.

More important to me than the change in look for the game, is the change to a more open environment, with Metroid style upgrades to complete the exploring. After the brilliantly designed puzzles we saw in Guardian of Light, (which I haven't finished yet) I have real faith that Crystal Dynamics can deliver on the design side in a big, big way.

I loved the larger environments in Underworld, and I think that an evolution on Crystal Dynamics' hint system, seen in that game, will provide players with a genuinely challenging action/survival experience, with lots of exploring.

Maybe I shouldn't be getting my hopes up too high, but then again, why not? This is Crystal Dynamics and I've enjoyed everything they've done since they took over the Tomb Raider franchise. I have faith.

NameIess

Not sure if I like the gritty look for the franchise just seems out of place with the history of the series. Lara was always sexy and adventurous and this new gritty look brings a new level of realism, but removes some of the sexy vibe that is important to the series.

I would rather see Uncharted be more gritty and realistic and Tomb Raider be more stylized...

Just seems like they took things to far and it's distracting. Also the new model kind of looks like a teenage kid in the face.

I'm still interested in the title just not sure about the artistic direction.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'm all over this when it's finally released. Hopefully Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will have taught Crystal Dynamics to make a proper game and not just making an entry into a franchise (I'm looking at you Underworld).

The screens look amazing but a little bit out of context. It could be very effective if we see the transformation and skip the Scooby-Doo cast of sidekicks. Looking forward to this alot.

shintoki said:
Screens aren't going to cut it with this game. I see some QTE prompts in there, which hints they maybe going the shitty platforming route ala Uncharted. Instead of giving me more free reign.

What are you even talking about? The only QT prompt screen is of her reaching from something. And all of CD's TR's have had QTE's, so that shouldn't be some shock to anyone as it isn't any sort of indication of how the platforming will be.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
NameIess said:
Not sure if I like the gritty look for the franchise just seems out of place with the history of the series. Lara was always sexy and adventurous and this new gritty look brings a new level of realism, but removes some of the sexy vibe that is important to the series.

I would rather see Uncharted be more gritty and realistic and Tomb Raider be more stylized...

Just seems like they took things to far and it's distracting. Also the new model kind of looks like a teenage kid in the face.

I'm still interested in the title just not sure about the artistic direction.
Agreed.

reKon

Banned
game looks like it could be good. What I don't understand is how people are already saying 'day 1!' or 'sold!'. We haven't even seen the game in motion AND this is a reboot 0.o

Xdrive05

Psykotik said:
I NEED TO KNOW.

WILL THERE BE BREAST PHYSICS IN THIS GAME?

Yes, but only on the PC version and only if you have an Ageia PhysX card or compatible GPU. You either have to have a single GTX 580, or a second GTX 260 dedicated solely to the physics processing.

Anything less and her implants are basically concrete.

Xdrive05 said:
Yes, but only on the PC version and only if you have an Ageia PhysX card or compatible GPU. You either have to have a single GTX 580, or a second GTX 260 dedicated solely to the physics processing.

Anything less and her implants are basically concrete.
rockbiter.jpg

Excellent.

Takuan

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Meh, just looks like uncharted with a chick.
Pretty much, and it looks worse than UC, but that isn't particularly damning considering the UC series is among the prettiest games this gen has to offer. Personally, I feel they could've done a much better job on the Lara model considering how iconic she is and how big a deal they made about her rebooted appearance. There's no reason for her not to have Kratos-level detail, at least in the facial region. It's still early, though.

Otherwise, I like the dark look, and as long as they have the platforming and gunplay down, I will give this a chance. Those hoping for a unique experience are asking to be disappointed. They want this to sell well, so we're looking at Uncharted: Croft's Caper at best.

Takuan

Darkmakaimura said:
These are serious bullshots. Want to see game in motion.
Aside from the AA, what's so special in the screens that make them "serious bullshots"? The textures are average/below-average, and the geometry being pushed isn't outrageous or anything.

We haven't even seen gameplay for this and you asshats are already comparing it to Uncharted. Might as well compare Crysis 2 to Grand Theft Auto IV because they both take place in cities.

LiK

We haven't even seen gameplay for this and you asshats are already comparing it to Uncharted. Might as well compare Crysis 2 to Grand Theft Auto IV because they both take place in cities.
Funny that when Uncharted was first shown, it was called Tomb Raider with a dude. Oh how times have changed.

LiK said:
Funny that when Uncharted was first shown, it was called Tomb Raider with a dude. Oh how times have changed.
MAN, CRYSIS 2 JUST LOOKS LIKE A POOR MAN'S GTA! YOU CAN'T EVEN DRIVE ANYWHERE YOU WANT YAKNOWHATIMEAN?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If this Uncharted stuff gets out of hand, instigators will not be happy.

We don't want another Killzone 2 where people wander into the threads of every unrelated game to troll.

h3ro

MAN, CRYSIS 2 JUST LOOKS LIKE A POOR MAN'S GTA! YOU CAN'T EVEN DRIVE ANYWHERE YOU WANT YAKNOWHATIMEAN?

When compared with Crysis, the melee combat in GTA is shallow and pedantic.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this game in action.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kayhan said:
The point is they are exactly the same texture on both arms...

Jesus fucking christ...if you're this anal retentive how can you even manage to play video games without wanting to blow your brains out?

"I'm interested in this." I have no doubt that CD can deliver the goods on a the story front (which is my primary concern). I just hope that its not a QTE fest, that shit actually takes me out of a game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
SolidSnakex said:
What are you even talking about? The only QT prompt screen is of her reaching from something. And all of CD's TR's have had QTE's, so that shouldn't be some shock to anyone as it isn't any sort of indication of how the platforming will be.
I definitely jumped the gun, but I'm worried they maybe going for the more cinematic approach is all. They could be taking it in the direction of Assassin's Creed too. The sparse open world, with many platforming segments weaved in would play well to their goal. But again, it could also simplify a lot of the elements I enjoyed in Legends/Underworld, which was already reduced from the PS1 variations.

As I said, I definitely need to see it in motion, or probably to demo it.

Amir0x said:
I have developed a fair amount of faith with this group though. They've really turned the Tomb Raider franchise around quality-wise. I just hope this isn't a survivor horror game with a Tomb Raider skin. Playin' up the M rating for M rating sake
They already announced combat will be involved in the title, but I don't think a survival horror would be a poor way to go. If they made it where platforming is the combat, similar to the Cave level(When your being chased) in legends. I won't mind a title where your defense/offensive is platforming. :lol

Takuan

This is pretty silly. They're both similar in theme and gameplay - one just happens to do it much better than the other has in the past - so the comparisons are natural and somewhat warranted. It's strange to get annoyed by it and then spout the nonsense that is your second sentence.

I fully expect CD to borrow the best elements from UC while adding their own touch, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I'd like for them to talk to Naughty Dog about borrowing the wet clothing look - not for perverted reasons, but rather because it's a nice little effect that adds realism.

I definitely jumped the gun, but I'm worried they maybe going for the more cinematic approach is all.
Your worries are warranted. Gameplay videos will either confirm or disconfirm this, but I feel they're going to go that route to wow the non-GAF audience. Cinematic experiences draw masses in. The question isn't whether or not the QTEs will be in there, but how frequently they'll appear.

_Xenon_

Banned
So it comes from uncharted copying Tomb raider to the new TR copying uncharted? Oh well not saying it's a bad thing though.

But at least they should improve those textures to uncharted level.

Ugh, this looks awful and the whole gorish new direction makes the game even more juvenile than giving Lara DD tits.

It's equivalent to making Indy a bald space marine :(

Takuan

BomberMouse said:
Ugh, this looks awful and the whole gorish new direction makes the game even more juvenile than giving Lara DD tits.

It's equivalent to making Indy a bald space marine :(
What would you have preferred? I find it somewhat amusing that the TR game featuring the youngest Lara yet is also going to be the most serious.

RobertM

_Xenon_ said:
So it comes from uncharted copying Tomb raider to the new TR copying uncharted? Oh well not saying it's a bad thing though.

But at least they should improve those textures to uncharted level.
Trust me when I say this, Uncharted copied Prince of Persia (3d) at least in terms of linearity. Not a single game has replicated the original Tomb Raider experience...ok Indiana Jones Infernal Machine tried but was pretty much a copycat.

Takuan

RobertM said:
Trust me when I say this, Uncharted copied Prince of Persia (3d) at least in terms of linearity. Not a single game has replicated the original Tomb Raider experience...ok Indiana Jones Infernal Machine tried but was pretty much a copycat.
All I remember from Tomb Raider was a lot of pit traps, being chased by the dinosaur, and minimal shooting strewn in between exploration/puzzle solving. I'd love to see them (or any other dev) do this with current hardware. Actually, what would be very cool is if they went the point & click adventure game route with the puzzle solving, added a moderate dose of 3rd-person platforming, and threw in quality shooting sequences throughout. I'd definitely be excited for this type of game, but it's probably impossible to find a studio that does all those things equally well.

Gribbix

Larson Conway said:
Depends on your definition of "open world." The devs mentioned Just Cause 2 as an example of what the game is not like. However, open world is frequently used to describe games with a single, unified world laid out like Super Metroid/Soul Reaver/Arkham Asylum which is what this game appears to mimic structurally.

LiK

Gribbix said:
Depends on your definition of "open world." The devs mentioned Just Cause 2 as an example of what the game is not like. However, open world is frequently used to describe games with a world laid out like Super Metroid/Soul Reaver/Arkham Asylum which is what this game appears to mimic structurally.
Ok, I'm partially right :p

Top Bottom