• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider screens

PetriP-TNT said:
Eww at the armpit hair in the first image.

eEJpI.jpg

check your eyes. English girls are obsessed with shaving

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
szaromir said:
Ugh, Uncharted fans swarming every thread.
The sad thing is that there is nothing wrong with being a fan of Uncharted. There is something wrong with being both ignorant and being a slobbering fan of Uncharted and that's what shows up in every thread.

ArjanN

dextran said:
if this is the birth of laura, shouldn't she be surviving on a desert isle ala Lost in Blue.

Probably not a good idea if they want the game to sell.

And if fiction has taught us anything it's that any island people wash up on is always totally deserted.....except for the deadly animals....well, and the smugglers...and of course the cannibal natives, the pirates, the mercenaries, explorers, dinosaurs, ancient gods, nazi zombies, etc.

And technical nitpicking aside these screenshots look great.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Stallion Free said:
The sad thing is that there is nothing wrong with being a fan of Uncharted. There is something wrong with being both ignorant and being a slobbering fan of Uncharted and that's what shows up in every thread.
I'm quite certain that the first post mentioning Uncharted in this thread was praising TR and looking forward to numerous comparisons between the two during development.

tl;dr - pull your heads out of your asses

szaromir

Banned
Obviously, these screenshots do not look all that great due to low-res textures, worse than in Underworld. Underworld already had really big levels, so I suspect TR reboot will have just humongous environments. And I'm hoping PC version will have higher res textures.

kevm3

Game looks very nice, but I'm tired of all of the 'saw-esque,' super-gritty, gory sort of themes that are starting to pop up in all of these games. It's starting to get a bit depressing.

expy

Banned
StuBurns said:
These screens are bad.

Of course this game will look better on PC, but the console versions will not be comparable at all.
What version of the game are these screen grabs from?

mik

mik is unbeatable
I'm gonna buy these cats a digital camera so they can create one or two more blood spatter/drippy textures.

mvtob.png

WinFonda

Fan of Uncharted that is looking forward to this new Tomb Raider. =)

Some kind of crossover would be epic. Maybe multiplayer skins for each game? pwetty please. :D If Naughty Dog could get a Lara skin in the multiplayer we could do all kinds of stuff with the machinima. :)

DieH@rd

Banned
mik said:
I'm gonna buy these cats a digital camera so they can create one or two more blood spatter/drippy textures.

mvtob.png

She hanged upside down, and someone else's blood dripped on her. Or blood from her feet fell on her hands.

vic2020

Neo Member
To me Tomb Raider games should be about exploration and platforming in isolation, and I don't see any platforming in these screens. This could still be a great game but I hope they don't make it more like Uncharted which is way more combat focused and less platforming/exploration.

Dante

looks fine, but they have hit the reboot button too many times for me to be anything but skeptical at this point.

Kayhan

DieH@rd said:
She hanged upside down, and someone else's blood dripped on her. Or blood from her feet fell on her hands.
The point is they are exactly the same texture on both arms...

commedieu

Banned
vic2020 said:
To me Tomb Raider games should be about exploration and platforming in isolation, and I don't see any platforming in these screens. This could still be a great game but I hope they don't make it more like Uncharted which is way more combat focused and less platforming/exploration.

Pretty much. It was a total letdown to play Uncharted thinking it truly was "DUDERAIDER', but there was absolutely no Tombraider style exploration. My fear is that they are just doing a third person shooter, with a revamped Croft, and totally forgetting the first 2 games that everyone in the world loved.

Slow paced, thinking puzzles, climb solving, that was all awesome. I doubt this generations ADD/BlackOps kids are going to go for it if shes not killing all the time/exploding helicopter. Just strikes me why no one else takes this genre up?

Sort of like Hitman. There is no reason we shouldn't have a new Thief or Hitman title.

mik

mik is unbeatable
SketchTheArtist said:
You understand the principles of symmetry in textures and mapping to save up on resolution, right?
I do. So why aren't ALL the textures repeated/symmetrical?

LiK

meh, don't care about the texture nitpicks when i'm running around trying to avoid a psycho. bring it!

commedieu

Banned
mik said:

Well.. Heres my theory.. which is the correct one.. Follow me please.

1. Its an early screenshot.

2. Blood/Dirt is added in layers on top of the original skin surface, by whatever random seed i'm sure.

Since its not symmetrical, this means that you just happen to see the same blood layer used twice. Not a mirrored uv. The blood splotches im sure could appear anywhere on her skin. So they don't/haven't incorporated 340982342343256775049 blood splotch brushes yet so that Gaf will buy the game. In short, its pulling from more than likely a random 4 blood cards. You are seeing #3 twice...

Big Fucking Deal.

Environments looks okay but Laura looks excellent.

DieH@rd said:
Let us go back to one of the golden GAF graphic whore moments:
killzone2.jpg

:D
This crappy small pic created ~1000 posts. :lol

What a epic day that was. RIP DoomBringer

I wouldn't worry about the textures. Underworld has some of the best out there.

And guy above, you got the two big circles in the wrong places... dem tits

Well, I for one an pleased we've moved past pure objectification of competent female characters with big boobs; and into this new generation of battered female objectification.

Unfortunately the corporation won't let Lara die a good death.

How many reboots is this franchise going to get before they just let it go? :|

expy

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I wouldn't worry about the textures. Underworld has some of the best out there.

And guy above, you got the two big circles in the wrong places... dem tits
I didn't circles those. =p

Sydle

Looks great, but, like the recent Arcade release, why did this need to be a Tomb Raider game? Why not create a new IP? I fear that some people will just write this off because they've already made their decision on their interest in the franchise.

Anywho, first impression reminds me of Uncharted a bit. I'm looking forward to more.

[Nintex]

I think the 'let's make everything dark and edgy' ship has sailed for me. I would've liked some nice environments instead of dark caves and a bleeding Laura.

Maybe this game will get brighter during the adventure. Like it starts out with Laura in pain and agony and she showly crawls from the dark caves into a world full of sunshine and love and this is all shown by slowly changing the graphics depending on the mood of the game.

Oh wait this is Tomb Raider 'hardcore', it'll probably be 'bang' 'bang' 'bang' I'm ANGRY NOW AND KILL YOU and be over in like 8 6 hours.

mik said:

The arms are symmetrical, the torso isn't as to prevent people from seeing the actual symmetry. Just like the piece of tissue on her right arm to hide blood patterns that are repeated on her left.

They could tweak it to make less obvious but it's everywhere in most games if you look hard enough. You're looking too much into it. ;)

Enosh

The Take Out Bandit said:
Well, I for one an pleased we've moved past pure objectification of competent female characters with big boobs; and into this new generation of battered female objectification.
I knew the thing had kinda"unfortunate implications" for someone not to bring this one up

didn't expect it so soon through

mik

mik is unbeatable
It doesn't bother me--and I'm certain it will be invisible or irrelevant in a playable camera. I just think it's weird to unleash your first batch of ultra-hi-res screens with that so obvious.

Why are these bullshots so huge? It makes all the flaws shine even more. The resized screens looks much better and most of the crazy stuff should be barely noticeable at 720p.

I'm not sure if I like the new direction of the series, with the violence and stuff. Tomb Raider should be about exploration and puzzles more than shooting. That said, the shooting aspect of these game is so bad and it wouldn't hurt to give the action a much needed boost. Especially with the competition of Uncharted.

Top Bottom