• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider screens

Mr_Zombie

[Nintex] said:
Oh wait this is Tomb Raider 'hardcore', it'll probably be 'bang' 'bang' 'bang' I'm ANGRY NOW AND KILL YOU

Isn't this pretty much in every Tomb Raider game? Why do people act as if Tomb Raider wasn't full of shooting before? Lara killed thousands of both animals and people during her previous adventures.

Also, why do people think that just because this is meant to be more realistic approach (aka "dark and gritty") it will became a shooting gallery? Lara is a teenager here, it's her first adventure. Also, it's especially funny because only two artworks/screenshots that were released since the game was unofficially announced have shown Lara with a weapon. And it was a bow.

And why do people still call her "Laura"? It's LARA, there's no "u" in her name :/.

Haunted

I like some of the decisions they made gameplay-wise.

Game still looks early in those screens. Spotty textures, low poly environments etc.

I was also hoping to see some more of the promised "open" environments from the island. I know it's Tomb Raider, but this is a cave, doesn't count.

mik said:
It doesn't bother me--and I'm certain it will be invisible or irrelevant in a playable camera. I just think it's weird to unleash your first batch of ultra-hi-res screens with that so obvious.

Check out the mapping on the arches of the wagons on the left. ;)

BioShock%20Infinite%20skyline.jpg

Happens to the best of them. :D

So gooood. I know Uncharted and this aren't comparable gameplay wise since they are technically different genres.

But design-wise, this is much better. Sorry Nate, real adventurers don't have time to take showers and clean their clothes and scrapes every 5 minutes.

Some of these screens remind me of that Neil Marshall movie The Descent.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RockmanWhore said:
Why are these bullshots so huge? It makes all the flaws shine even more. The resized screens looks much better and most of the crazy stuff should be barely noticeable at 720p.

yes, it looks ok in smaller shots.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Kind of off topic but I'm still disappointed that this far into the current generation that many developers character models still look way worse than what Team Silent Hill was able to do in their PS2 games. :lol

Aww, these are just the screenshots from the scans....

Anyway, yes the textures are indeed a little rough, but I’m not worried at all. The potential here is enormous! :D

This is now tied with Red Faction: Armageddon as my most anticipated game at the moment! Bring on the trailer!

UrbanRats

Dance In My Blood said:
These all looked significantly better in the magazine itself.
They weren't at this unrealistic resolution.

Before you guys get anal with them, consider that these are pretty early screens, and that the HUGE size doesn't help.
So before you start the comparisons with whichever title, consider this.

They are not the greatest PR move ever, but between that, and being "shitty graphics" there's an ocean.
If these are shitty graphics, tell what games are you playing, 'cause apparently i'm missing a lot.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
SketchTheArtist said:
Check out the mapping on the arches of the wagons on the left. ;)

BioShock%20Infinite%20skyline.jpg

Happens to the best of them. :D

Maybe I'm missing your point. Are you saying that the repeated texture of identical logos on train cars is just as unrealistic as mirror image blood splatters on a human character?

Because yes it's an example of repeating textures to save memory. But no, it's not even close to being as conspicuous or unrealistic as the blood textures.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No more dat ass on Lara :(

I mean it's awesome, in real life it'd be fantastic, but compared to Underworld Lara it's meh.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Maybe I'm missing your point. Are you saying that the repeated texture of identical logos on train cars is just as unrealistic as mirror image blood splatters on a human character?

Because yes it's an example of repeating textures to save memory. But no, it's not even close to being as conspicuous or unrealistic as the blood textures.

No, check out the arches that are holding the containers, not the containers themselves. It looks like somebody 'box-mapped' those pieces. Really sloppy work and I can't believe it got passed the marketing department.

JohngPR

It's really easy to spot flaws in screenshots that are twice the size of what you will probably see. :p

Looks great IMO. Hype rising for me.

kylej

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I think the 'let's make everything dark and edgy' ship has sailed for me. I would've liked some nice environments instead of dark caves and a bleeding Laura.

Maybe this game will get brighter during the adventure. Like it starts out with Laura in pain and agony and she showly crawls from the dark caves into a world full of sunshine and love and this is all shown by slowly changing the graphics depending on the mood of the game.

Oh wait this is Tomb Raider 'hardcore', it'll probably be 'bang' 'bang' 'bang' I'm ANGRY NOW AND KILL YOU and be over in like 8 6 hours.

Wow, you figured out the entire game from the first 10 screenshots released (a year before the game is out). Nostraretard.

DSN2K

game looks decent. The Texture work seems to go from good to alright to meh going by these screens, but we have yet to see it in motion yet so I'm open minded for now on the visuals.

Lara model certainly the best we have seen in the series so far.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
SketchTheArtist said:
No, check out the arches that are holding the containers, not the containers themselves. It looks like somebody 'box-mapped' those pieces. Really sloppy work and I can't believe it got passed the marketing department.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. I immediately noticed the mirrored blood texture, but I still can't see whatever supposedly egregious thing you're talking about. From your use of the term "box-mapped" I'm going to assume you have some specialized knowledge that I am lacking which is leading you to see things that laypeople like myself might not notice. Is that a fair assumption?

jvalioli

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm still not sure what you're talking about. I immediately noticed the mirrored blood texture, but I still can't see whatever supposedly egregious thing you're talking about. From your use of the term "box-mapped" I'm going to assume you have some specialized knowledge that I am lacking which is leading you to see things that laypeople like myself might not notice. Is that a fair assumption?
There is a texture error inbetween Columbia and Height.

They used the texture that was meant for the boxes on the side of the claws.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
jvalioli said:
There is a texture error inbetween Columbia and Height.

They used the texture that was meant for the boxes on the side of the claws.

OOOhhhh I see it now. I was interpreting it as a break between two segments of a car, but of course that doesn't make sense because the logo spans the whole thing. That is indeed a worse fuck-up than the blood texture. I should have looked for a bigger version of the picture.

Thanks for clarifying.

Loxley

To those convinced that this game will have a huge focus on shooting over exploration or puzzle solving, please point out to me where you see a single gun in any one of those screens.

derFeef

Shaking my head at some posts. Looks good, can´t wait to see it in motion and how the gameplay really is. If you read the GI article, those screens are taken straight out of the demo they saw.

Zen

Banned
Lyphen said:
Had to double check but damn, you're right.

I don't want to play this any more.

God forbid the heroine isn't so easily objectified? It would be awesome if some of these posts are all sarcasm. :lol

Ceebs

Loxley said:
To those convinced that this game will have a huge focus on shooting over exploration or puzzle solving, please point out to me where you see a single gun in any one of those screens.
It was all the talk from the article about the new free aim combat and how it can match up with other shooters.

I just Finished, Lara Croft: GoL - Best DL-Arcade Game - PERIOD.

Anyone who is a fan of Tomb Raider has to play it. I don't think I can do back to 3D Games Underworld or Legend Type of Lara Croft games.

JohngPR said:
It's really easy to spot flaws in screenshots that are twice the size of what you will probably see. :p

Looks great IMO. Hype rising for me.
The resolution of those shots is only slighter bigger than 1920x1080. So yeah I kind of do expect them to be that big.

Ceebs said:
It was all the talk from the article about the new free aim combat and how it can match up with other shooters.

That doesn't mean that it's going to have a heavy emphasis on shooting. All the previous games have shooting, but the problem was that the mechanics were broken. They can fix those mechanics and have them be on the same level with other shooting mechanics without making it heavily focused on that aspect.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Looks a bit bland, really. If I get a TR game this year it'll be that trilogy collection they're releasing.

zethren

Banned
I don't think there's a single screenshot floating around of new Lara where she isn't covered in blood and dirt...lol

hey_it's_that_dog said:

Yeah, sorry, I'm a 3D artist in game production so I sometimes speak to people like they know what I'm talking about but they always give me that 'WTF' look. :lol

Like jvalioli said, the piece between 'Columbia' and 'Height' is PART of the problem. It goes all around the container, to the top and this actual piece is duplicated throughout the train.

So imagine that the texture image used for the wagon got used for the arches but they 'box-mapped' it. They used a box projection to apply the texture image unto that model. You do 'box-mapping' to map a texture rapidly on a model to be used as, say, a placeholder, which will be replaced later. Dunno if that's what happened with this, but it's probably the worst error I've seen in a marketing image for a AAA title. And it was part of the announcement of the game no less which, I think, makes it even worse.

Doesn't seem all that bad when you consider that Bioshock Infinite isn't due for release for another year or more, though. Lots of corners cut and lots of smoke 'n mirrors all to give the appearance of a finished AAA title in that debut video footage, I'm sure.

Nizz

I like the screens. Maybe something about the "honesty" of these screens. So many times I see screens for games and then disappointed in the actual game.

By the way, have Crystal Dynamics mentioned anything else about that trilogy pack? Anniversary, Legend and Underworld? I thought more details would be announced...

MightyHedgehog said:
Doesn't seem all that bad when you consider that Bioshock Infinite isn't due for release for another year or more, though. Lots of corners cut and lots of smoke 'n mirrors all to give the appearance of a finished AAA title in that debut video footage, I'm sure.

Oh no, don't worry, those things are probably already fixed. I was talking about the fact that the marketing department just let this pass. It's pretty bad once you notice it. But I'm the only one at work who noticed it so maybe it's not THAT bad. ;)

george_us

[Nintex] said:
I think the 'let's make everything dark and edgy' ship has sailed for me. I would've liked some nice environments instead of dark caves and a bleeding Laura.

Maybe this game will get brighter during the adventure. Like it starts out with Laura in pain and agony and she showly crawls from the dark caves into a world full of sunshine and love and this is all shown by slowly changing the graphics depending on the mood of the game.

Oh wait this is Tomb Raider 'hardcore', it'll probably be 'bang' 'bang' 'bang' I'm ANGRY NOW AND KILL YOU and be over in like 8 6 hours.
Pretty much my feelings as well. Hopefully the gameplay is more impressive.

Top Bottom