• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider screens

Lucius86

Banned
Yes, the graphics are nothing compared to Uncharted - but I still am quite impressed by these shots. I really want this game to be awesome.

kamspy

Too bad Naughty Dog didn't aim this high with UC3. They probably could have pulled it off. Now the game is doomed to having screens posted next to screens of this.

Irish

I really like the atmosphere of these shots, but yikes at those textures. Can't wait until we start seeing some footage.

kamspy

corkscrewblow said:

Seriously. TR is getting a PC release so the impending onslaught of comparison pics are going to make UC3 look comparatively tame.

I'm not bashing Uncharted. I love the series. It's just obvious they weren't aiming this high.

I know it makes fanboys gag, but this game is going to blow UC3 out of the water graphically.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
kamspy said:
I'm not bashing Uncharted. I love the series. It's just obvious they weren't aiming this high.

So you're saying the developers behind arguably the best looking console game to date aren't aiming high enough? You know consoles have graphical limitations right? They're not going to compete with current PCs.

StuBurns

Banned
kamspy said:
Seriously. TR is getting a PC release so the impending onslaught of comparison pics are going to make UC3 look comparatively tame.

I know it makes fanboys gag, but this game is going to blow UC3 out of the water graphically.
These screens are bad.

Of course this game will look better on PC, but the console versions will not be comparable at all.

USD

CF_Fighter said:
Shouldn't the rain be washing all that blood off?
This is what bothers me the whole time I'm looking at these pics. Surely she can take ten seconds and wash most of the blood and grim off of herself, if just being in the water didn't do it already.

USD said:
This is what bothers me the whole time I'm looking at these pics. Surely she can take ten seconds and wash most of the blood and grim off of herself, if just being in the water didn't do it already.
If the blood has dried enough, simply diving into a body of water isn't going to magically wash it off nor will rain simply rinse it away. Regardless of reality and its bearing on a game situation, these are just screenshots from what looks like a single area and scenario and I'm sure she wouldn't be concerned with her appearance or worried about thorough cleanliness when there's likely to be someone or something out to get her in some dark 'n damp cave. It'd be kinda silly if she could so quickly go clean to dirty and back again given their intentions with the look and tone.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why would they release screens this large when the finer detail doesn't hold up when you can easily analyze each individual texture? PR fail.

Mileena

Banned
kamspy said:

You can say all of this just from looking at a few ugly screens?

Raide

USD said:

USD
Wants a Lara Soap-Down Minigame.
Reply | Quote

Erebus

I wouldn't worry about the graphics so much. Isn't this slated for a late 2011 release? There's plenty of time for CD to make improvements.

Mr_Zombie

Stallion Free said:
Why would they release screens this large when the finer detail doesn't hold up when you can easily analyze each individual texture? PR fail.

On the other hand, at least Eidos (SquareEnix?) is honest with their screenshots; it's the same situation as with Deus Ex 3 and LC&TGOL screenshots, where lower resolution, aliasing, poor textures weren't "bullshoted" just for the PR sake.

AAK

More Survival Horror. I am interested..... but damn there are too many games that are awesome upcomming :( I don't have the time to play and enjoy all of them.

kamspy said:
Too bad Naughty Dog didn't aim this high with UC3. They probably could have pulled it off. Now the game is doomed to having screens posted next to screens of this.
:lol Saywhat??

Learn a little bit about how games work and game design, then come back to this thread and comment, please.

Oh, and get those eyes checked while you're at it too.

Garcia

Y2Kev said:
She actually looks a lot more like old Lara Croft in these.

That's exactly what I thought. I just hope they bring the shocking scare moments from the first TR where a random animal or beast would just attack you from behind without making a damn noise. I swear I miss those days...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mr_Zombie said:
On the other hand, at least Eidos (SquareEnix?) is honest with their screenshots; it's the same situation as with Deus Ex 3 and LC&TGOL screenshots, where lower resolution, aliasing, poor textures weren't "bullshoted" just for the PR sake.
All of those games are on PC. They are allowed to bullshot because that's how games look on PC.

Looks good. Reminds me of the island section of Resident Evil 4.

Chinner said:
it'd be pretty good if they did one of those end scenes after the credits. lara is in bed sleeping with her back turned away from the door. you see this figure quietly tip toeing into bed, lara turns the lamp on and looks at the figure; it's sully from uncharted. he's like "suck my goddamn dick" and the screen fades to black with a lot of slurrping noises.

then in uncharted 4 you have to babysit their kid. it'd be like the yoshi's island of the uncharted series.
You should make video games.

jett

D-Member
Not the best screens. I'm more interested in seeing a gameplay video.

edit: kampsy is totally losing his mind

ZephyrFate said:
Yeah because the flashy graphics were the only thing I liked about FFXIII. Troll harder.
Was more commenting about the linearity thing, and how that couldn't be what turned you off from Uncharted 2. And I was only trolling a tiny bit :)

stuminus3

Azih said:
They're trying so hard!
I don't understand where all the cynicism from some of you guys comes from. Crystal Dynamics have done good by Lara since they took control. I mean, the 3 "traditional" games they've done are great, and this year saw them release a new style of Lara game that's GOTY material for some. They haven't released anything even remotely close to the abomination that was Core's Angel of Darkness. So what's up with that, guys?

Ceebs

stuminus3 said:
I don't understand where all the cynicism from some of you guys comes from. Crystal Dynamics have done good by Lara since they took control. I mean, the 3 "traditional" games they've done are great, and this year saw them release a new style of Lara game that's GOTY material for some. They haven't released anything even remotely close to the abomination that was Core's Angel of Darkness. So what's up with that, guys?
Their track record is great, but I can't think of a shining example of an IP going "Dark and Gritty" that turned out well. My main concern however is that it will end up being primarily a shooter.

Loxley

You know what? I'm actually getting a real Batman Begins vibe from the game as a whole.

The screens in combination with the description of what the story is (young Lara traveling the world discovering who she is etc) really feels like Crystal Dynamics is echoing Batman's more contemporary origin. Really digging the atmosphere, it looks like they seriously want to amplify the idea that Lara is alone and inexperienced as an explorer, as well as completely cut off from the rest of the world.

Looking forward to seeing the game in action :).

Zen

Banned
dextran said:
the color palette is too monochromatic. low res textures add to this muddiness.
the gritty laura model looks excellent, but out of place in these contrived ewok style underground villages.
the environment feels forced and game-y, especially the ritualistic candles and hanging cocoons.
if this is the birth of laura, shouldn't she be surviving on a desert isle ala Lost in Blue.

I'd rather have this sort of color pallete than a traditional Tomb Raider pallete, When you look at the pictures shrunk down the modest texture res isn't really an issue. I don't really get how the environments look too gamey, sure it's a fantasy esque setting, but most of these look like the type of set peices you might see on TV.

Top Bottom