• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider screens

expy

Banned
Salazar said:
You're crazy. Of all the busted-ass screenshots GAF sees and comments on, you think these are 'totally off' ?
Naw, apart from the new Lara model, the rest just looks really bland.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't think the in game model does well to capture the awesomeness of the concept art (redesigned Lara)... I'm not talking about IQ. I mean, things like proportion and general look of the character.

Most of my excitement for this was in direct response to the character's redesign... looks like they missed the mark.

Still excited because I love TR and think this is still a huge improvement. Just not as excited.

Reilly

2n0r2mt.jpg

Anyone been able to figure out what is going on here?

stuminus3

Banned
badcrumble said:
NOTE TO EVERYONE: please stop comparing tomb raider to uncharted because they've never had much of anything in common in terms of gameplay, they just both happen to deal with getting treasure from mysterious places, which you also find in fucking resident evil and zelda games.
Also Nathan Drake has nice boobs.

Ceebs said:
This may be a shock, but I am sure there are people that never liked, or are sick of overly scripted thrill ride games no matter how polished or graphically impressive they are.
IIRC ZephyrFate liked FFXIII so I don't think that's it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Reilly said:
2n0r2mt.jpg

You're looking at her fingers, her belt, and a piece of rebar sticking out of her side.

I think she's cauterizing a wound with a cigar in that first image? Maybe a little snake eater first aid action to match the gore style?

Anyway, I like the direction theyre going with Lara but these screens aren't very impressive. Probably looks better in motion.

Looks fantastic. Great to see them finally get away from Lara's classic blow-up doll look and make a character that actually resembles a human being.

Has this been confirmed as being rated-M? Looks like it so far.

And not really digging the realistic Lara design, but it does fit well with the games tone.

MightyHedgehog said:
What's so SMH about that thought? Are you saying that a sequel that already looks inline with the predecessor is more interesting than a reboot on the level that has been revealed about the new TR? As much as I crave new(er), less mainstream game templates, more interesting doesn't automatically mean better when it comes to the final game experience.
Well I'm only basing it off of the articles and these current screens. But the game seems to be deviating from classic Lara and like it or not, will be compared to hell and back with Uncharted. It's seemingly like the whole Forza/GT thing again, where the newcomer...actually, I'm going to stop.

Ceebs said:
This may be a shock, but I am sure there are people that never liked, or are sick of overly scripted thrill ride games no matter how polished or graphically impressive they are.
My whole point has been that this is where the game seems to be heading.

Grisby

Looking good. CD made some fine looking games with the last TR's and I don't expect them to deliver anything less here.

I love it that these shots still show some isolation, which is what the TR series is about for me. Yet, its a very different isolation, one that give off a sense of dread.

Raide

Detail on Lara looks really good but they need to work on those background textures. Need to see it in motion really.

Londa

Banned
I'm ok with a young Lara. I'm not ok with having her bloody. I can't see myself buying this if she stays bloody for the entire game. I'm just not a fan of blood and guts.

Londa said:
I'm ok with a young Lara. I'm not ok with having her bloody. I can't see myself buying this if she stays bloody for the entire game. I'm just not a fan of blood and guts.
My guess is that she'll be bloody depending on how injured she is and that treating your injuries might end up being an important part of the game. We'll see.

badcrumble said:
My guess is that she'll be bloody depending on how injured she is and that treating your injuries might end up being an important part of the game. We'll see.
Yeah the whole injury aspect, while squeamish for me, is really cool.

CrushDance said:
Well I'm only basing it off of the articles and these current screens. But the game seems to be deviating from classic Lara and like it or not, will be compared to hell and back with Uncharted. It's seemingly like the whole Forza/GT thing again, where the newcomer...actually, I'm going to stop.

My whole point has been that this is where the game seems to be heading.
that doesn't jibe with the 'open world' thing we're hearing though. i mean it could be Mafia 2 esque in construction, but even that would probably set it up as different enough from Uncharted 2 to prevent people claiming that this next Tomb Raider is ripping it off.

honestly, what we know of the tone, the story, etc... i don't think Uncharted is a valid comparison at all. the only things it appears to have in common with Uncharted are the things that Uncharted has in common with the Tomb Raider games that predate it.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
looks like a female version of drake

Reilly said:
2n0r2mt.jpg

She is pulling out some sort of spike/arrow thing from her side, that's gotta hurt.

Until we see this in action I really have no idea what to think, right now all I am seeing is low res mud.

Chinner

Banned
Solo said:
Uncharted: Snake Eater
it'd be pretty good if they did one of those end scenes after the credits. lara is in bed sleeping with her back turned away from the door. you see this figure quietly tip toeing into bed, lara turns the lamp on and looks at the figure; it's sully from uncharted. he's like "suck my goddamn dick" and the screen fades to black with a lot of slurrping noises.

then in uncharted 4 you have to babysit their kid. it'd be like the yoshi's island of the uncharted series.

UrbanRats

I really like it.
If anything, i find it even too much bright in some spots, kind defeat the point of the torch.

I'm sure in motion will look great, and if it's the same engine from Deus Ex & Underworld, should have object motion blur and Dir.X11 support on PC, no?

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know how amazing this would be if they structured this like the Lost tv series. Get stranded on a mysterious island and have to uncover its bizarre myteries in open world gameplay as sexy lara. Im all over that shit

If I had the power I would ban pointless Uncharted discussion in Tomb Raider threads and vice-versa.

Obviously sexy crossover discussion would be exempt from the ban

BTW, is Lara fixing a broken finger with a splint. A Snake Eater style healing system would be great if it didn't involve so much menu navigation and you could see visible effects of it.

Giolon

These screenshots look technically and artistically pretty nice, but this is not what I want from my Tomb Raider at all.

Not the super realistic look, not the filth and the blood and grime, and not the story rewrite. I always enjoyed that the TR games were quite unreal (not the engine) and full of levity, and occasionally the melodrama.

I think for the first time since AoD, I'll be checking out of this franchise for a while.

Giolon said:
These screenshots look technically and artistically pretty nice, but this is not what I want from my Tomb Raider at all.
If you like classic Tomb Raider, there are already more games on the market than anyone ever needed, so you're set.

UrbanRats

Chinner said:
it'd be pretty good if they did one of those end scenes after the credits. lara is in bed sleeping with her back turned away from the door. you see this figure quietly tip toeing into bed, lara turns the lamp on and looks at the figure; it's sully from uncharted. he's like "suck my goddamn dick" and the screen fades to black with a lot of slurrping noises.

then in uncharted 4 you have to babysit their kid. it'd be like the yoshi's island of the uncharted series.
Only if we have a QTE's buttons prompt.

that picture with the belt and the rebar is from a moment very early on in the game.

lara is as we see suspended upside down. she gets down by setting her ropes on far and gets impaled on a rebar as she falls. this injury is apparently important as the game progresses. she protects it while shuffling through a tight space, she winces when it gets hit, and so forth all during gameplay i believe... if it does anything more than that, i don't know, but clearly it's to enforce the notion that this younger Lara isn't bulletproof emotionally or physically.

Chinner said:

somehow i can't see Lara felating anyone. the word 'strap on' comes to mind for some reason actually.

Dreohboy

I was critical for the wrong reason.

If this is good, comes out on PC and doesn't handle like ass with a 360 controller then I'll happily pick it up.

Looks really good.

I never thought I would be genuinely excited for a Tomb Raider game ever again. But man. If they can deliver on the gameplay stuff from the GI article, then this could be a great reboot.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Well, that's pretty much as bleary and depressing as I expected. Maybe above ground will still be all the vertiginous scale, jungle dark greens and stormfront electric blues in the rainbow.

Top Bottom