• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomodachi Life |OT| Please don't try to understand

kubus

Ut9Y7Jl.gif

Jqru349.png

vFROgM3.png

Title: Tomodachi Life (
xiXOM8x.png
Tomodachi Collection: Shin Seikatsu)
Platform: Nintendo 3DS/2DS
Release date:
AlKLavw.png
YfoQmNd.png
June 6 2014 |
xiXOM8x.png
April 18 2013
Price: $34.99 | £34.99 | €39,98
Developer(s): That guy that made Other M
Genre: LSD simulator

Players: One
Save Slots: Just one
Streetpass/Spotpass: Yes to both
Blocks: 3,146​

bHDcNoW.png

In Tomodachi Life, you populate an island with Miis based on your family, friends, celebrities, company CEOs or anyone else you can think of. You can give these Miis their own voice, which is spoken through
vocal synthesizer software, and their own personality based on slider inputs. The Miis will start living their own lives on the island, creating relationships with other Miis, doing various activities around the island,
and even falling in love. The player can solve problems for them by giving them food, new clothes, toys or even entire new house interiors. Because of the limited control the player has over the inhabitants
of the island, weird things can happen, which may or may not involve heavy metal musical performances, praising of the Virtual Boy, and dreaming about large heads coming out of the ocean.

Gameplay is mostly passive in this game, meaning that you as the player will mostly observe the residents of the island as they go about their daily routines on the island. There are activities that always take
place at the same time and day, as the game utilizes a real time system like in Animal Crossing, but the majority of the scenes are random. There are various island locations to unlock as you play, items to collect,
new clothes and interiors to unlock, mini-games to play, and of course, tons of various activities you can witness your Mii participating in. Miis will take up part-time jobs at some of the island facilities, as well as
many different "hobbies", dependent on what kind of items you give them.

There is no goal in the game, besides having fun and seeing strange things happen. If you have a fierce desire to "complete" this game one way or another, you could try finding all of your Mii's favourite foods,
collecting all the clothing and interiors, and seeing every kind of dream. Alternatively, you could try and win Samus' heart.​

ln00ti8.png

NRWcTSB.png
There are two Streetpass functions in this game:

WJjaFpG.png
  • Sending a Mii on a trip
    When a Mii child grows up, a choice will be presented to the player. You can have the Mii start living on their own in one of the apartments on the island, or you can send the Mii on a trip. When you choose the
    latter, the Mii will leave the island and is sent to other players when Streetpassed. Your Mii, and subsequently, all other Miis that are sent through Streetpass this way, will settle down in a tent on the Campsite
    space on the other player's island for a day. You can help them with their problems, and if they like you, they'll leave you a gift when they leave again. You will sometimes receive letters from the Mii that you sent
    on a trip, as well as photos of their adventures. They will even briefly come back to their parents' house once in a while!

vaxdF13.png
  • Receiving imported goods
    A Streetpassed player might drop off some cool clothing at the Port of your island. These items are unique and not normally sold at the normal clothier. The imported items will be added to the catalog of
    the Import Wear store, which unlocks upon your first Streetpass. You can choose yourself which item you want to share through Streetpass through a questionnaire that will pop up automatically after a while.

oaQeFdX.png

Like Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Tomodachi Life also supports the Image Share function!

How to use Image Share?
Step 1: Take a picture in the game using the X or Y button (for top or bottom screen respectively).
Step 2: Open the Internet Browser from your HOME Menu and go to https://i.nintendo.net.
Step 3: Log in to your Twitter, Tumblr or Facebook account.
Step 4: Select your image, add a caption, and press “Post.” That’s it!​

MfzWHN1.png

Click the banner to go to the Tomodachi Life Miiverse Community!

78F9mzn.png

Here are a couple of Miis to get you started!
For more Miis, try visiting: MiiCharacters.com, or check out the old NeoGAF Mii QR Code Sharing Thread!

There are two ways to import Miis into your game: either by using a Mii Maker QR Code or through a special Tomodachi Life QR Code. The first only imports the likeness of a Mii, while the latter also includes
things like their personality and voice. Once imported, the characteristics of the Mii can still be edited, so if you want an imported Mii to have a different personality or voice than it came with, that is possible.

3A9Tj2r.png
4EAF0XE.png
eTayBbQ.png
URGu9vP.png

OCkLMU6.png
dx4Gy92.png
zkSddfJ.png
8uPfO8b.png

nXWtCzh.png

0jMW9oZ.png

AlKLavw.png
Europe: Welcome Version

• Every full version of Tomodachi Life will come with two free downloadable codes for the Tomodachi Life: Welcome Version (a demo) that can be given away. Once the demo is completed, a special Panda
    Costume will be unlocked, which can be transferred to the full game once the player upgrades to the the full version of Tomodachi Life by buying it at retail or through the eShop. The Panda Costume can
    also be unlocked through normal play. More info.
YfoQmNd.png
North America: Move-In Version

• Lucky Platinum Club Nintendo members who registered Animal Crossing: New Leaf received a special download code for a demo version of Tomodachi Life. The demo is nearly the same as the European
    Welcome Version, the only difference being that American players get two Panda Costumes instead of one.
  • Two download codes will also be included with every retail or eShop copy of Tomodachi Life, to be given away to any person you want. This demo will also have two unlockable Panda Costumes.
  • A freedemo of the game is available on the eShop. It is different from the Move-In Version as there are no unlockable panda suits in this demo.
If you want a demo code or have one to give away, you can post it in this thread, or use the dedicated Tomodachi Life Demo Code Giveaway Thread by L~A!

LpjKCrn.png

Nintendo will regularly distribute special items through Spotpass to Tomodachi Life players. You can find the schedule for these items below. Please note that North American and European copies receive
different items.

In order to receive these items you will need to enable Spotpass. You can do this at the Town Hall.
Spotpass Item #4 | July 15 - July 31
umbQ6nY.jpg
HEz24kj.jpg

AlKLavw.png
Tropical Dress
YfoQmNd.png
Food Mart Uniform

Spotpass Item #3 | July 1 - July 14
M388wcq.jpg
9Gj03HW.jpg

AlKLavw.png
Hawaiian Shirt
YfoQmNd.png
Uncle Sam Costume

Spotpass Item #2 | June 16 - June 30
3zqEcQM.jpg

AlKLavw.png
Sombrero
YfoQmNd.png
Wedding Dress

Spotpass Item #1 | June 6 - June 15
tApyDKq.jpg

AlKLavw.png
Marathon Outfit
YfoQmNd.png
Graduation Cap​

Aq5ror5.png

8gldYzL.png

NDH6eXc.png

p51WyHU.png
TgriYaf.png
33mwHVk.png

gJSD75O.png
lEzUell.png
ToRFgzg.png

vcPJyjK.png

CN1qKAQ.png

MiUhrnJ.png
: Does this game have any multiplayer or online functions?

xR8IwnD.png
: No. It's purely a singleplayer game. There are Streetpass and Spotpass functions though.

MiUhrnJ.png
: Is there a Mii personality guide?

xR8IwnD.png
: Yep! Check it out here!. Credits to Reddit.

MiUhrnJ.png
: Can I have same-sex relationships in this game?

xR8IwnD.png
: No, but Nintendo promised to be more inclusive in the next game.

MiUhrnJ.png
: What is the maximum number of residents I can play with?

xR8IwnD.png
: You can have up to 100 people living on the island!

MiUhrnJ.png
: Can I download this from the eShop?

xR8IwnD.png
: Yes you can! Click here for the QR code that will take you straight to the eShop game page.

MiUhrnJ.png
: How much control do I have as the player over the residents?

xR8IwnD.png
: You will be able to make a small impact on the character's decisions. For example, Miis will often ask your opinion on their relationship with other Miis, which you can use to your advantage to steer them in a certain
direction with that relationship. Break-ups between Miis seem to be unavoidable, and is dependent on the compatibility between Mii characters. You can boost their compatibility by giving them the same kind of "hobbies"
(items that they will use once given).

MiUhrnJ.png
: Can I freely change the time without consequences?

xR8IwnD.png
: You can change the time in the Options Menu (located at the Town Hall). Be warned though, that if you abuse this option, new items might stop appearing at the shops.

MiUhrnJ.png
: Can I change the name of my island?

xR8IwnD.png
: Yes, you can change the island's name. To do this, go to the Town Hall! Please note that you cannot change the island's address.

4J3dMmM.png

Hasney

Not sure if I should grab this at launch or save my eShop credit for Smash Bros. Goddamn, will check my finances on Friday.

Suppose the next day or two I'll be looking for mii's to populate my Tomodachi island with. Also yes we can finally give Nikki a new lease of life! <3

I didn't think animal crossing was going to catch on in the states but it did. So you never know but I'm still leaning toward this game flopping.

bigkrev

Never been more fascinated by a game I know I would hate if I ever bought it
which means there is a 20% chance I buy this

Hope it works out, and we do get a slightly more socially progressive sequel down the line

lol first post

Still hooked on Mario Golf and have yet to even open Kirby, so I probably won't get this right away, but I'm definitely interested.

zroid

Banned
I imagine the reviews are going to be split pretty firmly between those who "get it" and those who don't

RiggyRob

You should add the £5 voucher pre-order bonus for Tomodachi Life on the Nintendo UK Online Store to the OP: http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-3...&utm_campaign=ENNIN-2095688279&affil=thgemail

*Every pre-purchase/pre-order of Tomodachi Life from Nintendo Official UK Store will qualify for a £5 Gift Voucher. This voucher is redeemable with any subsequent purchase over the value of £20 and must be redeemed before 30.09.2014. The voucher will be sent to the customer via email following the launch of the product on 06.06.2014 within 2 days.

kubus

You should add the £5 voucher pre-order bonus for Tomodachi Life on the Nintendo UK Online Store to the OP: http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-3...&utm_campaign=ENNIN-2095688279&affil=thgemail
Ah, right! Knew I forgot something. Added now, thanks for the heads up!

And thanks for the compliments everyone, hope the game delivers and we can get a nice screenshot/Mii sharing community set up here :)

Speaking of which, I have a few Mii QR codes left that didn't make the cut for the OP, but I'll leave them here :p

wx01AET.png
ioGCNYC.png
r0jyvzK.png

A game that looks too strange for me not to play

This OT is frankly the most info I've read about the game, I just know if you eat beans, something called a purp is created

Forgot to thank OP for great first post, super informative! The links just helped me to fill up my mii plaza nice and quick with a bunch of characters.

Presently have Snoopy, Usain Bolt, Daft Punk, Wonder Woman, Batman, Mario Bros + princesses and the Powerpuff girls ready settle into Tomodachi.

john tv

tumblr_n6lkfknIJy1s3p0c1o1_400.jpg

I'd add my JP version as well but then you'd have to set pronunciation and stuff, so may as well just use this one (US ver). Game is tons of stupid fun, hope you all dig it!

Isotope

I shall invite my friends and we shall become the greatest rock group that has ever been assembled.

Very nice OT! TL looks so goofy and hilarious; can't wait to pick it up!

kubus

So how do we select which Miis will populate my island?
You can do all the importing, exporting and evicting from the Town Hall on your island. You're free to add or remove Miis any time in the game!

Forgot to thank OP for great first post, super informative! The links just helped me to fill up my mii plaza nice and quick with a bunch of characters.

Presently have Snoopy, Usain Bolt, Daft Punk, Wonder Woman, Batman, Mario Bros + princesses and the Powerpuff girls ready settle into Tomodachi.
Aww thanks! Finding information was quite a hassle, even though I own the Japanese version. Nintendo hasn't even released any information on Streetpass themselves so I had to dig all of that up from the Japanese website, lol. Just hope I didn't make any mistakes in copying the information.

I should make a list of the Miis I want to populate my island with too... I think I'll go full crazy town with this release :p.

Question for anyone who has early copies of Tomodachi. Can you use Mii's from Plaza as well as maker, or is it only miis from the Maker that can be imported?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Picking three copies of this day one.

I still can't get over how terrible the EU logo looks next to the US one.

Ibuki

Banned
Does anyone not have a move in version demo code? They sent me a booklet with some extras but none of my employees have 3ds or care about the game. What better place to give them away then my favorite forum?

AdanVC

jRefgTF.jpg

Craving for some bizarre game/simulator thing lately so this game is the perfect answer. Looking forward to it. Excellent OT by the way!

Excellent OT!

I was lucky enough to receive a CN code for the Move-In Edition and I've been wanting the full game ever since. I never could get into Animal Crossing, but the demo has me hooked. Bring on Thursday night's eShop release!

Spades

Nice OT!

If any EU/UK Gaffers would be so kind as to share one of their demo codes with me when the full game releases, I'd sure appreciate it.

daydream

Banned
Nice OT!

Really tempted to get this on Friday, even though I still lack a clear idea of how it works. If anyone felt inclined to share his demo code with me, I'd appreciate it, haha.

So usually Nintendo has review copies in reviewers' hands weeks ahead of time, and their review embargoes are usually pretty well in advance of launch. This game comes out friday and the first review has yet to drop. I was pretty committed to getting this game just out of pure curiosity, but now that it's almost here with no reviews and not really much of an idea of what the minute-to-minute gameplay is going to be like, I'm a little worried about this being a really "good" game.

random25

So usually Nintendo has review copies in reviewers' hands weeks ahead of time, and their review embargoes are usually pretty well in advance of launch. This game comes out friday and the first review has yet to drop. I was pretty committed to getting this game just out of pure curiosity, but now that it's almost here with no reviews and not really much of an idea of what the minute-to-minute gameplay is going to be like, I'm a little worried about this being a really "good" game.

Tomodachi Life |OT| Please don't try to understand
just kidding!

Well the game comes with 2 demo codes, so you could probably wait for some here to share their demo codes.

There are a few YouTube reviewers doing regular videos on the game. Nintendaan and thebitblock have several videos to give you a taste of the game

Top Bottom